Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aithon
Jan 3, 2014

Every puzzle has an answer.
I love how this game does asset reuse. I played it directly after finishing Ocarina of Time, so the mix of familiar and new assets was kind of mindblowing to me, starting with the first time Link somersaulted while jumping and definitely continuing with the old OoT grass trying to run away. It makes you expect the same, then throws you off. Everything is similar but distinct. It feels very otherworldly, just as it should. I think the shadows may have gotten a bit darker, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aithon
Jan 3, 2014

Faylone posted:

They just have to cut some non-sapient grass...unless...oh crap, are all the grasses in the Zelda games baby dekus? Is that where the hearts come from?!

Well, in every Zelda game you start with tree hearts...

Aithon
Jan 3, 2014

I never knew the kids could be stunned with bubbles or Deku Nuts, or even that they would stop and taunt you if I stopped chasing them. I didn't bother to use either of the literally two abilities I had even though they were giving me a hard time. :argh:

Aithon
Jan 3, 2014

Artix posted:

Also it blows my mind how many people didn't know you could stun the kids. Like Aithon said, Deku Link has two moves and you never once tried either of them?

I was way too absorbed by the thrill of the chase while mashing (and missing with) the spin attack.

Termina food chain: dogs hunt Deku scrubs hunt children.

Aithon
Jan 3, 2014

Zain posted:

With Deku Link using Deku Nuts... Is that like a Chicken throwing its own eggs?

Wood Yoshi.

Aithon
Jan 3, 2014

Yeah, the Deku transformation with the scream is horrifying. I'm sorry it was the last thing in the session you saw. :magical:

Aithon
Jan 3, 2014

quote:

"You're basically committing high fraud right now."
"Nice!"

:allears:

I know it's been said multiple times already, but it's really great seeing you explore Clock Town for the first time, especially since the game's so full of cool little things that I might as well be rediscovering it. I never noticed the nod cows, for instance.

Aithon
Jan 3, 2014

The perfect crime on the dog was so good. Blame everything, all the vases we break on Kafei.

I'm also glad you automatically started using masks on C-Right, though between masks and the ocarina, C-button space gets pretty tight later on.

Aithon
Jan 3, 2014

I see not even turning back from Deku form can save you from this one. :kimchi:

Aithon
Jan 3, 2014

Paul.Power posted:

Is the tourist Goron called Link the same one who names himself after you in Ocarina?

He didn't name himself, Darunia named him after you! :3: That Goron was Darunia's son and was still only a small kid (well, for a Goron) when Link was an adult. Plus we're in a completely different place. So I don't think so. I think of Gorons being named your exact name as a running gag of sorts.

Aithon
Jan 3, 2014

I don't think I've ever even seen that cutscene in the Curiosity Shop. I just avoided the place whenever I could. That's what LPs are for, I suppose!

Aithon
Jan 3, 2014

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

Only difference is they're not my friends and I can't pipe in with my even worse jokes.

Check out Team Frog Nugget on twitter and hitbox. I have yet to be thrown out of the chat for terrible jokes so I think you'll be welcome.

Aithon
Jan 3, 2014

FeyerbrandX posted:

I hope for Link Vimes now. Hooray, hooray it is a happy day for. I. Have. Found. MY. COW.

There's no Triforce of Law, sadly. Though I think Ocarina of Time said Nayru gave the spirit of law to the land.

I'd like to see Ganondorf kidnap Vimes, bearer of the Triforce of Wisdom, and encounter the Elbow.

Aithon
Jan 3, 2014

I've always loved how Koume and Kotake still do the entire evil cackle routine and their language and body language are completely those of someone who's going to backstab you later. But no, they're just there doing their 7-15 jobs selling potions and minding the boat tour. Nintendo really went out of their way to unsettle people who played Ocarina of Time.

Aithon
Jan 3, 2014

You called Link a horrible person, but I love Majora's Mask Link, the guide of souls. You even fulfilled that dancer's final wish like a good paranormal investigator.

Aithon
Jan 3, 2014

When I was a kid, I put off visits to dungeons as long as I could, since even Gohma freaked me out a lot. So I was really happy to see that Majora's Mask lets you do a ton of different things before you even set foot in the first dungeon. It really helped me prepare, get my bearings and become drawn into the world, even though I was still sorta stressed.

Aithon
Jan 3, 2014

The spinturtles' croaks keep sounding to me like "get wrecked". It's like Link's wandered into a MOBA.

I'm proud that you remembered that you have a (shell) shield when you fought them. :3:

Aithon
Jan 3, 2014

Artix's rage and tears actually give me energy since his Fire Emblem LP days so I don't mind.

Aithon
Jan 3, 2014

You can use at least two different arms as clubs in Planescape: Torment, one of them formerly your own! I think the description for the other one, which you can get really early in the game, was something like "You can use it to shake someone's hand at a distance or to deal 1d4 blunt damage." :allears:

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

God that room with the Boes still makes me nervous. I'm not scared of the dark by any means, but that room is very well done and very atmospheric.

Definitely agree. That's the one part of this dungeon I remembered even before rewatching it here.

edit: Oh, I never noticed in game that every stray fairy you get restores your health just like any other fairy! You got healed after beating a Skulltula that was holding one. It's a really nice bit of consistency.

Aithon fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Aug 12, 2016

Aithon
Jan 3, 2014

I elected to watch the anime nite stream instead of sleeping. Well, it's a night stream for Americans, but here it's firmly in dawn territory. Good morning to all fellow Europeans awoken before their time. :shepface:

Actually on topic: I'm glad you still trust in Deku Nuts and that it's still so rewarding. :allears:

Aithon fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Aug 16, 2016

Aithon
Jan 3, 2014

Kassad posted:

Huh, do deku nuts do damage to other enemies? I thought they just stunned them.

I'm pretty sure Deku Nuts don't do damage in either game, unless used as bombs by Deku Link. (I might be wrong, though!) With Ganon it seems they specifically made a design decision for him to be damaged by Deku Nuts. Either it's an Easter egg, or guy just really hates light in any shape or form. :v:

Aithon
Jan 3, 2014

We know you're able to make your own frog hats, but that's no reason not to feed the hungry Goron. If he rolled off as he was, he'd probably just stay there in the snow.

Aithon
Jan 3, 2014

tiistai posted:

At least it's faster than the "try to look cool rolling up the thin path and fall off repeatedly" method.

It's so much faster. I think I noticed that it was a ramp, immediately assumed there was some sort of reason later to start rolling and promptly launched myself into the abyss. Several times.

Before that, I also had to look up a walkthrough to even think to use the Lens of Truth here. It was not my finest hour.

Aithon
Jan 3, 2014

I think regular Goron punches can destroy mostly anything a regular bomb can, like those big snow poffs and crumbling walls. These are not fire fists, they're explosion fists.

Aithon
Jan 3, 2014

Yeah, I only knew the hover was radius-based because of some guide. Then again, I went with a guide for all Stray Fairies because I have no patience for this kind of treasure hunts but I wanted to see the rewards.

I'm also looking forward to the best boss!

Aithon
Jan 3, 2014

Pyroi posted:

"Try interacting with it"

"IMMA PUNCH IT"

It was the correct reaction, too!

Aithon
Jan 3, 2014

I'm mildly arachnophobic, and I used to be much more so, but skulltulas somehow never registered as scary spiders for me. Maybe it's that in OoT they were all stationary and not actively going for you, or that models are so crude that they just seemed like skulls with a hint of legs. Skullwalltulas were slightly worse, but they're easily taken care of before they become any sort of danger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aithon
Jan 3, 2014

I said it already, but I appreciate you at least trying to snipe at Tingle with fire arrows. It's even such overkill.