Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
who will "win" E3
This poll is closed.
Sony 29 14.22%
Microsoft 17 8.33%
Nintendo 30 14.71%
Oculus 24 11.76%
Valve 35 17.16%
Sega 69 33.82%
Total: 101 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
unless apple comes out with a new much better apple tv im expecting to buy a ps4k at least for 4k streaming. i doubt it will do 4k games but thatd be the icing on the cake

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
devs were pissed enough about the jump to 720/1080p graphics, just lol at the idea of 4k assets

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

Valeyard posted:

devs were pissed enough about the jump to 720/1080p graphics, just lol at the idea of 4k assets

:raise:

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer

PleasureKevin posted:

well, i'm not sure but it seemed like Sony treated them like royalty and Microsoft looked bad in comparison. apparently they even -gasp- admitted to making a PS4 and asked them what they wanted in it, whereas microsoft was like "we don't comment on rumours and speculation" type stonewall.

Several devs came forward before the announcement of the xbone/ps4 saying that microsoft treated them like garbage

http://www.wired.com/2013/04/sony-indies/

A few other indie devs wrote on their personal blogs that the treatment from Microsoft was awful as well.

I'm sure Sony would do whatever it took to make Microsoft look bad by giving them star treatment, but Microsoft dug its own hole long beforehand

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

PleasureKevin posted:

here is the floor plan btw

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

Microsoft has been gravitating towards the EA/Marvel. basically to go for the billion dollars franchises and forget the rest, as it's not worth the overhead. get a few franchises and milk them with sequel after sequel.

i'm not sure how confirmed this is, but the original Halo story was apparently supposed to end with the discovery that Forerunner (Halo-builders) were ancient humans. instead they made the Halo universe go back literally a billion years. just speculation on my part, but perhaps they did this to extend the life of the franchise and create more spin offs.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer

PleasureKevin posted:

Microsoft has been gravitating towards the EA/Marvel. basically to go for the billion dollars franchises and forget the rest, as it's not worth the overhead. get a few franchises and milk them with sequel after sequel.

i'm not sure how confirmed this is, but the original Halo story was apparently supposed to end with the discovery that Forerunner (Halo-builders) were ancient humans. instead they made the Halo universe go back literally a billion years. just speculation on my part, but perhaps they did this to extend the life of the franchise and create more spin offs.

You know the answer to that

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

IT IS HARAAM TO SEND SMILEY FACES THROUGH THE INTERNET
actually no halo 3 finished the fight

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

PleasureKevin posted:

oh whoa changing the story to crank out more poo poo, no loving way?!??!

here's let's reminisce about microsoft's past xbox insanity/hubris/fart-huffing

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

so are either of the console upgrades gonna play 4k discs because that is like the only reason why id buy one

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

Triglav posted:

actually no halo 3 finished the fight

wow i almost forgot that master chief actually died at the end of that game, and "finish the fight" was indeed the marketing slogan.

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

SO DEMANDING posted:

oh whoa changing the story to crank out more poo poo, no loving way?!??!

there is no need for this tone, my friend

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

so are either of the console upgrades gonna play 4k discs because that is like the only reason why id buy one

ps4 probably will

who knows with the xbone

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

i quite liked halo reach so its ok they kept going

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

remember when video games were actually enjoyable on consoles?

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

from the looks of it, they expected to get HoloLens out in 2014. now it's 2016 and they're talking about handing it off to partners.

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

PleasureKevin posted:

there is no need for this tone, my friend

we arent friends and you're an idiot

seriously who gives a poo poo they changed the story to spit out more games. they arent molesting a piece of classic literature its their own goddamn intellectual property, it's a game, it doesnt loving matter GO OUTSIDE!!

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

Triglav posted:

i quite liked halo reach so its ok they kept going

multiplayer or single plater?

because i can remember approximately one scene from Reach and that's it. the original game was really simple. anyone could digest it. then things got so complex it was hard to follow and kind of forgettable. and there was like a 300 page book to read in between each game if you wanted to know why the gently caress happened.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

the plot of halo 4 was totally loving mystifying and i say that as someone who has read a lot of scifi

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

PleasureKevin posted:

multiplayer or single plater?

because i can remember approximately one scene from Reach and that's it. the original game was really simple. anyone could digest it. then things got so complex it was hard to follow and kind of forgettable. and there was like a 300 page book to read in between each game if you wanted to know why the gently caress happened.

mp duh

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

SO DEMANDING posted:

we arent friends and you're an idiot

seriously who gives a poo poo they changed the story to spit out more games. they arent molesting a piece of classic literature its their own goddamn intellectual property, it's a game, it doesnt loving matter GO OUTSIDE!!

i'm sorry mad halo fan, i'm so sorry

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

PleasureKevin posted:

i'm sorry mad halo fan, i'm so sorry

i played halo for pc and it was alright. that's all i know about halo. thank you.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

the plot of halo 4 was totally loving mystifying and i say that as someone who has read a lot of scifi

was that the one where the hologram naked lady turns evil or was that halo 5

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

SO DEMANDING posted:

i played halo for pc and it was alright. that's all i know about halo. thank you.

the demo was still kickin years later cuz the demo map was blood gulch

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

SO DEMANDING posted:

i'm sorry mad halo fan uninformed person who is just really obnoxious, i'm so sorry

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

PleasureKevin posted:

really obnoxious, i'm so sorry

keep ur chin up kid

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

gamers are really mad that gamespot made a video comparing PC and PS4 Overwatch graphics, showing that they look almost identical. they're accusing them of lowering the graphics settings to low on PC.

but a more in-depth comparison of Overwatch done by digital foundry finds the same thing, they look nearly identical.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7TsajQ7lUo

maybe i'm missing something cause no one in the comments section is explain why they're mad in more detail.

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.

poty posted:

unless apple comes out with a new much better apple tv im expecting to buy a ps4k at least for 4k streaming. i doubt it will do 4k games but thatd be the icing on the cake

pippin 2 lets do this poo poo

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

PleasureKevin posted:

here is the floor plan btw

this looks exactly the same as last year's for that part of the hall. oculus still hasn't released their poo poo lol

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

reminder that everything you see at E3 will be fake

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xNter0oEYxc

Hed posted:

this looks exactly the same as last year's for that part of the hall. oculus still hasn't released their poo poo lol

they did! it was a flop.

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

PleasureKevin posted:

Valve

after a 1 year delay, valve's Steam Machines have now been out for 7 months and Ars Technica calls the platform "dead on arrival". furthermore, the steam controller sucks and there hasn't been a half-life game in almost 10 years. these clowns don't even have E3 floor space and i include them in this post basically to shame them. how can you launch a console platform without having floor space at E3? don't they at least have a responsibility to their partners to do some marketing? not to mention their VR platform.

lol i didn't even know the steam machine was out

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

PleasureKevin posted:

reminder that everything you see at E3 will be fake

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xNter0oEYxc

when i got my nintendo gamecube my sister said she didn't see any difference between it and the n64 and i thought she was insane

watching this video, i understand how she felt

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

GameCube posted:

when i got my nintendo gamecube my sister said she didn't see any difference between it and the n64 and i thought she was insane

as in you can't see the difference?

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord
i hope that nintendo does something cool with the new zelda

otherwise i don't give a gently caress

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
probs going to E3 this year and im going to Suck Carmack Off or whatever

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

I wonder if all the Ubisoft games become uglier because the pretty versions don't focus test as well as the simplified ones, space constraints on the disc or what

Ultra detailed graphics with lots of filtering are beautiful to look at, but it also makes it much harder to see what's going on and what your objectives are than when you have big contrasts and simple graphics. I wouldn't be surprised if some Ubisoft engine programmer is crying himself to sleep because management removed all his hard work over and over. It clearly existed in-engine at some point, the development version and the final product is way too close to be a CGI mockup

I remember in Watch Dogs you could turn most of it back on for the PC version by hunting for unused settings in the config file :v:

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
yeah that's gonna be some of it. like the map example in the division e3 demo would only really work when you have a nice flat piece of ground to do it on so instead they have a regular map like in every other game.

but w/ watch dogs its a combination of not wanting to make the brand new console generation already look totally out dated compared to pc and not having the time to do high quality assets for more than the e3 demo segment.

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

GameCube posted:

[watches tv in stretched aspect ratio like a grandma]

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

error1 posted:

It clearly existed in-engine at some point, the development version and the final product is way too close to be a CGI mockup

yeah, there's a lot of assets that are completely different. stuff like cars and trucks of the same type, in the same place, but different make and model and level of detail. they don't just put a low-poly version in, it's completely different stuff.

i'm not sure how they do it, but it could very well be entirely pre-rendered. if you look at the movement of the viewing angle, it's not erratic enough to be a mouse, yet somehow even smoother than a controller would allow. so it seems like every movement is scripted. so that could indicate entirely CG, or some tool like Valve's movie maker where they can pre-render but it's still "in-engine".

the thing that's upsetting about it is that this is clearly the workflow. like it's not just few optimizations, it's make a fake E3 thing that we know won't run, then make the actual thing, rinse repeat. actually, i think it may be the other way around. because who would make a fancy pre-render, then go re-make that in the real engine? it gives customers too close a comparison to make. it could be that film makers take the game as it exists at a certain point in development, then sweeten that with better geometry and effects, script the gameplay, and show that at E3.

it's near the point where there should almost be some regulation on it. like, is the false advertising legislation that exists up-to-date enough to cover this kind of thing. of course, there will be those that say "if you're dumb enough to believe that's real it's your own fault" and "it's just video games". but i imagine the same thing was said about those $1 x-ray glasses they purported to sell in the backs of comic books.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
it's a common practice in movie trailers to use scenes that were cut from the film entirely so i doubt using better effects in a gameplay demo is going to trigger false advertising

• Locked thread