Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
who will "win" E3
This poll is closed.
Sony 29 14.22%
Microsoft 17 8.33%
Nintendo 30 14.71%
Oculus 24 11.76%
Valve 35 17.16%
Sega 69 33.82%
Total: 101 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

IT IS HARAAM TO SEND SMILEY FACES THROUGH THE INTERNET
like you said: optimization's last

make all your fancy-as-poo poo high def models and textures up front cuz it needs to get done either way

a year out show everyone what you got, but highly scripted cuz everythings still broken and unfinished, faking the stuff you still need to do based off concepts

final year sand off all the corners during optimization, completely changing verts on models and whatnot so the low polys look less weird, and rendering down the textures to stay within memory constraints throughout the whole game, not just that one demo scene

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

computer parts posted:

it's a common practice in movie trailers to use scenes that were cut from the film entirely so i doubt using better effects in a gameplay demo is going to trigger false advertising

A.u.t.i.s.m.

Korean Boomhauer
Sep 4, 2008
i will buy a piss fork if i can put Linux on it

Korean Boomhauer
Sep 4, 2008
what would rms think about installing Linus on a ps4

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

someone should get an old un-updated PS3 and try install steam on it. or did things have to be compiled for Cell specifically or something? or did it just run PowerPC apps? in either case i guess Steam wouldn't work on it.

Space-Pope
Aug 13, 2003

by zen death robot

Korean Boomhauer posted:

i will buy a piss fork if i can put Linux on it
already runs BSD, dude

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

remember when video games were actually enjoyable on consoles?

No

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

PleasureKevin posted:

someone should get an old un-updated PS3 and try install steam on it. or did things have to be compiled for Cell specifically or something? or did it just run PowerPC apps? in either case i guess Steam wouldn't work on it.

last i checked, steam is still i686 specific

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

Yep, you can turn your PS4 into a steambox though! The drivers are really crappy compared to the native stuff, but maybe it will improve over time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MHjTXYBSRck

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
i want to love the steam controller but its so loving uncomfortable :(

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
is Nintendo going to have a Nintendo World Championships again? Honestly that was more fun to attend than the whole floor show last year

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

congration, you discover that dedicated video game control devices are made for idiot children.

*owns $700 in flight simulator joysticks*

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

Triglav posted:

like you said: optimization's last

make all your fancy-as-poo poo high def models and textures up front cuz it needs to get done either way

a year out show everyone what you got, but highly scripted cuz everythings still broken and unfinished, faking the stuff you still need to do based off concepts

final year sand off all the corners during optimization, completely changing verts on models and whatnot so the low polys look less weird, and rendering down the textures to stay within memory constraints throughout the whole game, not just that one demo scene

given the pace and scale involved, and how much dev time creating demos seems to chew up, it's very likely that they have mostly separate teams making the E3 demo and actual game itself.

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

in my experience almost everyone just stops normal tasks for a month or two and polishes the poo poo out of the turd demo

Space-Pope
Aug 13, 2003

by zen death robot

Sagebrush posted:

congration, you discover that dedicated video game control devices are made for idiot children.

*owns $700 in flight simulator joysticks*
please don't besmirch my TM Warthog

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Panty Saluter posted:

i want to love the steam controller but its so loving uncomfortable :(

how did valve gently caress up so bad

did they forget they were making it halfway through

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Improbable Lobster posted:

how did valve gently caress up so bad

did they forget they were making it halfway through

Much like everything else valve owns, yes

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

they tried to be fancy and when they realised no one wanted the features they were putting it on it was too late!

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
ive had a steering wheel since gt4 came out. for whatever reason it's stayed with me thru a ton of moves even though i almost never use it

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

PleasureKevin posted:

but a more in-depth comparison of Overwatch done by digital foundry finds the same thing, they look nearly identical.

This Building the Best PC for Overwatch page goes full autist on all the GFX options and there is barely any different for most of them.

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

PleasureKevin posted:

as in you can't see the difference?

can't see or can't care

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

Smythe posted:

A.u.t.i.s.m.

find out what it means to me

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Panty Saluter posted:

ive had a steering wheel since gt4 came out. for whatever reason it's stayed with me thru a ton of moves even though i almost never use it

Same except gt5

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Syncopated posted:

find out what trains mean to me

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

nice

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

What a company-wide "reorg" looks like in a flat, manager-less company by former Valve employee Rich Geldreich.

I'm sure this is a purely hypothetical thought exercise and any resemblance to actual corporations is pure coincidence.

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

love my old passive-aggressive employer

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.
are they gonna have kerbals 2?

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug

pseudorandom name posted:

What a company-wide "reorg" looks like in a flat, manager-less company by former Valve employee Rich Geldreich.

I'm sure this is a purely hypothetical thought exercise and any resemblance to actual corporations is pure coincidence.

i used to work with him. he is uh.... crazy. to put it lightly. brilliant programmer. would scream and rant.

one of the managers referred to it as "going bobby fischer on some poor soul"

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

retweet if you cry every time

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c0blSBgpRUg

Space-Pope
Aug 13, 2003

by zen death robot
better sega tech video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_OchOV_WDg

make sure to turn CC on. the guy gets an A for effort, but imho it's hard to understand him through the accent :shobon:

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

dreamcast still has the best graphics of any console

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

16 bit? Back when we was kids we only got a single bit on Christmas, as a treat
And we had to share it!

PleasureKevin posted:

It could barely run a newly compiled to power PC binary of mplayer.

Space-Pope
Aug 13, 2003

by zen death robot
lol @ sony

are they seriously coming out with a ps4 with updated internals? like i could see a slim version but holy loly are they putting a bad taste in the mouth of like everyone who's bought one so far

e: watch it still have a 5400rpm hdd limited to sata-ii

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

both sony and microsoft are attempting to convert game consoles to the iphone product model

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

PleasureKevin posted:

I have a PS3 on a firmware from 2007 if you would like me to try. Just tell me what I need to do.

AtomD
May 3, 2009

Fun Shoe

Space-Pope posted:

lol @ sony

are they seriously coming out with a ps4 with updated internals? like i could see a slim version but holy loly are they putting a bad taste in the mouth of like everyone who's bought one so far

well i mean sony's gotta make money somehow

AtomD
May 3, 2009

Fun Shoe
remember when windows 10 was going to be called windows one (one windows, different devices!), so they branded the xbox 3 'xbox one' in preparation, but then someone said 'wait that's real fuckin dumb'
then don mattrick (rest his soul) probably looked like this:

idk whether that's what's actually happened but i guarantee you that's what actually happened. that's why the xbox one has a real dumb name

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Space-Pope posted:

please don't besmirch my TM Warthog

i also own a warthog and like five other joysticks and rudder pedals and head tracking systems and everything else.

Space-Pope posted:

are you honestly saying you're going to be pissed off that a company had the audacity to make a new product that is faster and better than the one you bought two years ago? that this is somehow like a violation of trust or something??

here's a tip to help ease your mind in the future: exit capitalist society and live as a hermit in a cave

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Space-Pope posted:

even better, for some reason the ps4 uses an inline sata<->usb converter on the hard drive. it's basically an external drive mounted internally.

• Locked thread