Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GRILLARY CLINTON
Mar 5, 2016

I know the devil is real.
what in tha heck is goin on in this book! it's drivin me bonkers!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JiveHonky
May 12, 2001

by zen death robot
Grimey Drawer
the butler did it

Death By Yogurt
Apr 3, 2007

Dude gets a boner thinking about missiles and he imagines his friends getting flushed down a toilet. That is all I remember

cub
Sep 6, 2014

by Shine
is this thread about "thelma and louise"? i dunno but if you find those chicks i swear they are in a lot of trouble. *throws cowboy hat*

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
I read the Illustrated Classics version

PTSDeedly Do
Nov 24, 2014

VOID-DOME LOSER 2020

you never did the kenosha kid

Nude
Nov 16, 2014

I have no idea what I'm doing.
I found the sparknote version it sums it up pretty well:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDrctb2BzLg

A CISHET SHITLORD
Sep 10, 2014

LOURDE OF THE SHITS
Pillbug
gravity doesn't make rainbows you loving idiot, jesus does, I read it on a facebook post

JiveHonky
May 12, 2001

by zen death robot
Grimey Drawer
the rainbow signifys that dumbledore was gay

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

hey folks, i think this is a good book, even if a lot of it goes over your head. i read it when i was idiot stupid rear end 17 years old and it was still a good experience, even though i didn't get a lot. please give it a go, and take these forums gags as laughing "with" rather than "at".

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

More like Pynch OFF

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

t houghr this was about gravity falls ahahaha that mabel

Iron Prince
Aug 28, 2005
Buglord
*sprays piss into front yard*

Hey fuckers get this!

the only coherent pynchon novel was inherent vice!

*gets into t-top camaro iroc-z and leaves*

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

sid your new av is rad

Jellidelic
Nov 28, 2011

hungry for bananas all of a sudden

proctorbot
Jan 27, 2005
BUT CAN IT FEEL??!?!
blah blah blah world war 2 theres bombs and stuff and some guy wants to gently caress

A CISHET SHITLORD
Sep 10, 2014

LOURDE OF THE SHITS
Pillbug

proctorbot posted:

blah blah blah world war 2 theres bombs and stuff and some guy wants to gently caress

use the loving spoiler tag next time numb nuts

GRILLARY CLINTON
Mar 5, 2016

The Sphinxster posted:

More like Pynch OFF

more like pinch a loaf off into my mouth

Ansar Santa
Jul 12, 2012

Ugh by about page 70 I realized I just dont give a poo poo at all and I stopped reading it forever and I do not regret it.

Wizard Master
Mar 25, 2008

I am the Wizard Master
Still the best passage in Western literature

Thomas Pynchon posted:

She turns. 'Hold up my fur.' He obeys. 'Be careful. Don't touch my skin.' Earlier in this game she was nervous, constipated, wondering if this is anything like male impotence. But thoughtful Pointsman, anticipating this, has been sending laxative pills with her meals. Now her intestines whine softly, and she feels poo poo begin to slide down and out. He knees with his arms up holding the rich cape. A dark turd appears out the crevice, out of the absolute darkness between her white buttocks. He spreads his knees, awkwardly, until he can feel the leather of her boots. He leans forward to surround the hot turd with his lips, sucking on it tenderly, licking along its lower side ... he is thinking, he's sorry, he can't help it, thinking of a negro's penis, yes he knows it abrogates part of the conditions set, but it will not be denied, the image of a brute African who will make him behave...The stink of poo poo floods his nose, gathering him, surrounding. It is the smell of Passchendaele, of the salient. Mixed with the mud, and the putrefaction of corpses, it was the sovereign smell of their first meeting, and her emblem. The turd slides into his mouth, down into his gullet. He gags, but bravely clamps his teeth shut. Bread that would have floated in porcelain waters somewhere, unseen, untasted--risen now and baked in the bitter intestinal over to bread we know, bread that's light as domestic comfort, secret as death in bed ... Spasms in his throat continue. The pain is terrible. With his tongue he mashes poo poo against the roof of his mouth and begins to chew, thickly now, the only sound in the room...

GRILLARY CLINTON
Mar 5, 2016

Sidakafitz posted:

Ugh by about page 70 I realized I just dont give a poo poo at all and I stopped reading it forever and I do not regret it.

you should. the first, uh, hundred pages of the book are kinda tough, but it gets addictive quick. and that's aside from the fact that it's beautiful

Wizard Master
Mar 25, 2008

I am the Wizard Master
Mason & Dixon is the best Pynchon novel though. I wonder if we'll get one more out of him before he croaks.

GRILLARY CLINTON
Mar 5, 2016

Wizard Master posted:

Mason & Dixon is the best Pynchon novel though. I wonder if we'll get one more out of him before he croaks.

have you read, uh, against the day. or inherent vice? are those worth, ah, reading?

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

against the day is prob the one i enjoyed the most. tbh i'm an idiot so the things that stick with me from t. pyn books are little strange scenes, instead of anything that requires me to understand history, etc

Iron Prince
Aug 28, 2005
Buglord

GRILLARY CLINTON posted:

have you read, uh, against the day. or inherent vice? are those worth, ah, reading?

Inherent vice is great if you love pubes

Jellidelic
Nov 28, 2011

LOVE LOVE SKELETON posted:

against the day is prob the one i enjoyed the most. tbh i'm an idiot so the things that stick with me from t. pyn books are little strange scenes, instead of anything that requires me to understand history, etc

cool and vivid scenes are his poo poo tho

http://www.walkerart.org/collections/artworks/pictures-of-what-happens-on-each-page-of-thomas-pynchons-novel-gravitys-rainbow

Wizard Master
Mar 25, 2008

I am the Wizard Master

GRILLARY CLINTON posted:

Against The Day is good, it's nearly as dense as Gravity's Rainbow and has the same amount of esoteric historical references and kaleidoscopic narrative threads. I still haven't read Inherent Vice.

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.
Been meaning to read it but it's pretty long . . .

Just read the crying of lot 49 AGAIN tho.....

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

p sure i've had an unread copy of inherent vice on my shelf since the month it was released

meanwhile got through dfw's the pale king in like two weeks, a book even less finished than his others

JiveHonky
May 12, 2001

by zen death robot
Grimey Drawer

thomas pyncheon posted:

he can't help it, thinking of a negro's penis, yes he knows it abrogates part of the conditions set, but it will not be denied, the image of a brute African who will make him behave...

get out of my head lol

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

Wizard Master posted:

yooooooo

morherfucker talking bout eating doodoo over here

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Wizard Master posted:

Suck the poo poo out of my rear end in a top hat lol.

GastonEatTheEggs
Nov 7, 2012

lol it's the book with the pedophilia and poo poo eating

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Planarch posted:

lol it's the book with the pedophilia and poo poo eating

but enough about your autobiography

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i read gravitys rainbow when i was 18 or so but ive never been able to get through it again

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
i'm the immortal lightbulb ama

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy
If I could as to read Thomas Pynchon where would I start?

Wizard Master
Mar 25, 2008

I am the Wizard Master

Crowsbeak posted:

Wee Stubby Nublet
Nov 20, 2015

by Lowtax

Crowsbeak posted:

Uh, 'round about here by the sounds of it....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

glowstick party tonight
Oct 4, 2003

by zen death robot

i first started reading fyad when i was about 12.

• Locked thread