Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wee Stubby Nublet
Nov 20, 2015

by Lowtax
Same.

By 14 l got really obsessed with the concept of "irony" and tried to channel it constantly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GRILLARY CLINTON
Mar 5, 2016

I know the devil is real.

Crowsbeak posted:

If I could as to read Thomas Pynchon where would I start?

read V. please

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UoYGH5KfGsc

Canadian Surf Club
Feb 15, 2008

Word.
the only pynchon i've read is bleeding edge I liked it and the inherent vice movie

there's no poo poo eating in BE but it does have a second life analogue soooo

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill
Mason & Dixon is by far his best book.

Vineland was highly enjoyable.

Gravity's Rainbow is good if you just let it overwhelm you, and you don't try to keep up with everything.

Lot 49 is decent. So is Bleeding Edge.

V. is bad and boring.

FART BOSS
Aug 27, 2008

~hands upon harrows
heels in the weeds
starving and harvesting
down centuries~

I liked the part about the weird nazi toilet ship. And the secret rocket Africans living under the ground in Germany. That Thomas Pynchon sure has some wacky ideas!

Doctor J Off
Dec 28, 2005

There Is
i read against the day to completion ama

Illavick
Sep 15, 2012

WHENA MINA RENA VATIVE
For realsies, I read both Gravity's Rainbow and Infinite Jest while staying at a rehab centers and attending NA meetings for a poly drug addiction. Infinite Jest is way overrated but Gravity's Rainbow has some absolutely beautiful writing. There were points in that book where I was doing double takes at some of the imagery and I'm not even talking about the poop stuff. Like when Slothrop is described as hanging at the edge of his blood's avalanche. gently caress me that's good.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
It was easier to read than Finnegans Wake

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
Inherent Vice is pretty good, listen to the audiobook because the narrator really does the stoner PI shtick well.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Illavick posted:

There were points in that book where I was doing double takes at some of the imagery and I'm not even talking about the poop stuff.

My favorite part of the book is where Roger and Jessica stop in at the church for evensong. The imagery of that part is just beyond beautiful. It's profound, even

GRILLARY CLINTON
Mar 5, 2016

Foo Diddley posted:

My favorite part of the book is where Roger and Jessica stop in at the church for evensong. The imagery of that part is just beyond beautiful. It's profound, even

yeah that was the point in the book when I went from "whoa this book is pretty neat" to "this is a masterpiece"

a few DRUNK BONERS
Mar 25, 2016

So is this book about sexy cartoon rabbits or something

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.
The Great Twist
I bought this book the other day at a Goodwill for two dollars. They had multiple copies so I bought the one with the nicer cover. I'll probably never get around to reading it but having it on my bookshelf makes me look smarter, just like Infinite Jest.

GRILLARY CLINTON
Mar 5, 2016

a few DRUNK BONERS posted:

So is this book about sexy cartoon rabbits or something

more or less

GastonEatTheEggs
Nov 7, 2012

sexy cartoon lightbulbs

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
V. is my favorite of his. I own 3 copies of it, one hardback and two copies of the trade paperback version which has the best cover

And also is the only(?) American version of the book to contain all of Pynchon's edits

Gravity's Rainbow feels like a natural follow up to V. and incorporates a lot of his ideas and style established therein. I have the Penguin Deluxe paperback of that one because I love the French flaps and frilled edges. If I ever find a hardback I will probably get that too.

While I enjoyed TCoL49 it's probably his weakest book objectively. Vineland was merely okay and Bleeding Edge kind of got on my nerves a bit, although to tell the truth I think I read them at a poor time and that may have affected my enjoyment of them.

Against the Day is really great but it is exhaustingly long. I'm about 800 pages into it and it's starting to unravel in my brain. I have the cool minimalist hardback version and the donkey-chokingly huge paperback version.

I haven't read Inherent Vice or Mason & Dixon yet, although I own a copy of M&D.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

i was considering making a gravity's rainbow thread and it turns out that following a cursory search for the name of the lady who gave pointsman a bj at the christmas party, one already exists!!

i guess i'll have to make the infinite jest thread instead

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
I hated those dumb songs. Nobody likes that poo poo.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

it turns out her name is maude

GastonEatTheEggs
Nov 7, 2012

Falun Bong Refugee posted:

still better than the songs in lord of the rings

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I love the songs because it's a large part of the page I can skip and not miss anything

The Belgian
Oct 28, 2008

Falun Bong Refugee posted:

Wrong

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

LOONIES ON LEAVE

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

Who or what can challenge, and stand a chance at beating, the corporate juggernauts dominating the world?

Jellidelic posted:

hungry for bananas all of a sudden

ive got a banana breakfast for you

*points at dilz*

Wizard Master
Mar 25, 2008

I am the Wizard Master
Interesting that this had already dropped off the first page while there are 100 page plus megathreads about the Warcraft, Ghostbusters and X men movies.... Says it all really.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Wizard Master posted:

Interesting that this had already dropped off the first page while there are 100 page plus megathreads about the Warcraft, Ghostbusters and X men movies.... Says it all really.

There have been at least 3 of these kinds of threads in GBS since The Awakening (I made one of them) and this happens with pretty much anything that is higher brow than any given episode of Steven Universe

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
The West Wing thread is first page TVIV and that wrapped up a decade ago.

Wizard Master
Mar 25, 2008

I am the Wizard Master

Heath posted:

There have been at least 3 of these kinds of threads in GBS since The Awakening (I made one of them) and this happens with pretty much anything that is higher brow than any given episode of Steven Universe

GBS sucks!!

Lost Canyoneer
Nov 1, 2009

GRILLARY CLINTON posted:

more like pinch a loaf off into my mouth

That's the only part I remember.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

I liked the paedophiliac poop eating that roxxored (rocked)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

Heath posted:

Don't try to rate one piece of pop culture as higher or lower brow than another, it's a futile can of worms.

• Locked thread