Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out
Oh hey, a thread. I don't know why I didn't check for this before.

I've played this dumb game for 670 hours, almost all survivor and almost all of that in swf with either 1 or 2 people. Been around since ye olden days where a trapper hook in the basement meant you left that person for dead.

I think most of the balance posts here, and especially on the godawful steam forums are real overblown. The game, while it could use another objective mode or something, has slowly been getting better and most of the replay value is in killer power variety on both sides. They hosed up REAL bad with the new killer pip system since hook camping essentially says "you can't play this video game", and pallet looping and instablinds are stupid but it's what you have to do since they've slowly been making chases the focus rather than hiding/juking, which is by far the best part of the game. When you can effectively play cat and mouse the game is strongest, when you're just waiting for the nurse to fly across the map and tunnel you down again or for the doctor to walk slightly near you at any point and find you for free with no interaction it's at its worst.

Teabagging survivors can eat my dick and I'll leave them on the hook, but I am the proverbial toxic guy if you put me on a hook at 0-1 gens done and stare at me. Borrowed time was a bad solution to this, but gently caress you if you don't like it because it's you, you're the jerk.

Freddy is really cool thematically although unfortunately not scary like myers (still) is, and also not very good. Remember me is strong but real bad design to sit and hold your mouse button for 40s after doing gens. Also can we please stop with the "bash your keyboard to do interaction" on p2 already? It's 2017 we can hold it down (or not) like civilized people

gently caress killers forever ok thanks bye

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out
The pip-style ranking system is extremely bad (gently caress you too hearthstone), but a lot of their design decisions seemed to be based around something easy for a small team to implement. The worst culprit here is the peer-to-peer hosting and the amount of control it gives to killers who choose to exploit it. I tend to hover between 10 and 4 given how much I play between resets, and even there you sometimes get people with one perk.

think we did a pretty good job dot mpg

Stallion Cabana posted:

they'll juke me in ways I can't really understand-

If you had sight of them when they went around the corner, they may have used quick and quiet to silently and quickly jump in a locker. If you were following scratch marks it's an oldie but a goodie when it works: sprint one way, walk back slightly and go another. Relatively common if there's any kind of fork near a pallet/window/something you break los without crouching and the survivor understands how killer tracking works.

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out
My experience with freddy is that he suffers from a lot of the same problems the wraith does: he has to hit you twice. They work differently in some ways, but essentially by the time you know he's there he's probably gonna get the first hit if you're not near a pallet/vault. After that you just loop and loop as long as you can while your team does all the gens. He can't even really effectively hook camp because borrowed time + dream transition means you'll never get pulled off and you'll get a pretty good distance towards an open door/whatever.

I don't even really take self care against him anymore, usually gens are good enough or finding someone to snap snap clap clap you.

Honestly the biggest problem I have with him is it continues the trend away from stealth with some action to all looping all the time since you essentially can't hide from him in or out of dreamstate. He's literally gen rush: the killer.

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out

Haquer posted:

Delete Borrowed Time and Brand New Part, thanks

I'll trade you Hex: Ruin and all the dying state addons

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out

Vanguard Warden posted:

You can totally hide from Freddy, you just have to rely more on crouching in a dark corner until he goes away than playing ring-around-the-obstacle. Everyone underestimates how drat blind all of the killers are when they get used to the survivor's 3rd person camera.

The thing about Freddy is that survivors can abuse the 7 second dream state transition timer. If he puts someone on a hook, someone else can just run up and pull them off, no problem. The person you pull off is already awake, so they could wake you up if you're in dream state when you pull them off. If he's chasing you down and you have a buddy nearby, that buddy can wake you up with just a little bit of distance on Freddy, and then you have another 7 seconds to get some distance or find a place to loop him for a bit. If he puts both of you into dream state, he can only chase one of you, so the other one is free to go get woken up if there's someone to help nearby.

All of these things require teamwork, of course. If all of the survivors run around on their own, they're going to get picked off without perks that allow for more self-sufficiency. He's like the polar opposite of Mike Myers, who will insta-pop tier 3 and one-shot the whole team if you gang up on him.

Yeah and honestly I've found that to be pretty exploitable on him. Other than the inevitable remember me, nothing about playing against freddy makes me think it's gonna be a poo poo match the way I feel when I see the first doctor scream. His weaknesses are easy to exploit if you know what you're doing, but he's definitely a killer that is harder to hide from than any of the standard heartbeat/huntress killers since once you have hum you essentially don't know what angle he's coming in from. Hiding in a corner crouched works about 50% of the time depending on your gen proximity/openness of the field near where you're at.

I think one of the biggest problems with making stealth a good mechanic these days is giving an individual survivor a good shot at getting away from a killer versus the amount of work that gets done while they're doing that. Obviously that's one of the core mechanics, but it feels like the tools on both sides are really REALLY strong and are pushing towards a more loop/active meta that frustrates killers, and then killer pip system pushes them towards camping which frustrates survivors. As much as I don't want to go back to 8s traps under a hooked survivor, the cat and mouse game + BP related killer system worked a lot better and there used to be a lot more games where if everyone played well, everyone pipped. That's almost impossible these days and they're not going to get back to that on the trajectory they're on.

I feel like an alien on the dbd discussion boards people crying about freddy being op is honestly baffling. Doctor and nurse are way WAY stronger, and billy's better than him too. He's pretty balanced and although myers is the only killer that still actually scares me these days, he's still pretty spooky with how suddenly you can be hosed.

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out
It's the tunneling/camping that's really the least fun part of all the killers who are good at that kind of thing. Honestly if freddy (or anyone) wants to hook camp he's gonna get curb stomped by most teams since people have figured out to just gen forever against him. I typically don't even go for an unhook unless I lose song/someone else's neck pops/doors are ready.

I'm honestly always really impressed with good nurses, but doctors literally just wander around until they get a bunch of free detection that takes no interaction from them and has something crazy like a 70m radius, and also adds like 10s of free detection to every rank 3 unhook and slugged survivor. I know this because I'm a garbage killer with level 1 on every killer and I get DUMPSTERED as a nurse and if I decided to be serious instead of farm quests as the doctor I could pip almost every game. Sometimes I pip even though I'm trying not to despite deliberately running away from hooks.

Borrowed time is a dumb answer to the dumber problem of camping or "patrolling" which is still honestly camping if it's proccing BT. Also lol at swivel hooks. I think it sucks that if you get a hook at the endgame that the design incentivizes you to sit on it, but an interaction with no recourse/downside is pretty stupid (see: moris before one hook req) so I'm gonna keep running BT and trying to save it for gate saves.

I still don't understand why we moved away from BP for killer pipping and kept it for survivors. What were they even thinking?

Turtlicious posted:

Played my first killer match, and it took a really long time, because all of the survivors were teabagging by the exit instead of ending the game.

e: I was wraith, because I thought it was spooky to ring a bell and jump out at people.

You are beautiful please never change. I leave as soon as all my SWF folks are at doors or dead unless there was a face camper, then I wait and teabag the poo poo out of them :colbert:

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out

TGLT posted:

It's 32 or 40 depending on if you have Distressing or not. Plus you can hop in a closet to avoid it, although admittedly a good doctor knows that and is gonna be more likely to check closests. The reason he feels so strong to you is that his strong suit is detection, which is probably why you're not so good at being a killer with everyone else. Like he is absolutely the best at ferreting out survivors, but as you get better that's not as much of an issue. He also has a good power for chases, so I'm not saying he's weak, just the detection is not as busted as you might think.

Don't forget the Calm series of addons. A good doctor is pretty good at shutting down most of the longer juke/loop paths by zapping you as you get to whatever thing you were going to use, so usually I have to go with riskier jukes where you bull rush past them once you have enough of an LoS break.

I remember for a while they were talking about removing the entity progression on first hook entirely (save for pulling yourself), and dialed it back to longer first hook. That would fix a lot of the problem, I guess, but at the same time I've seen killers with open doors find someone, hook them, and facecamp them, so it's not about the BP and they're not going to pip, so spite?

I'm still waiting for them to add literally any other positive effect to we're gonna live forever since bbq is the same perk only you get the bonus bloodpoints baked in free to a really strong detection perk.

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out

Yardbomb posted:

Look forward to these exciting new changes soon.

Takes 10 seconds for Freddy's aura reading to kick in after being outside of terror radius in dream world.

Decreased Freddy's speed even more while he's doing his dream shift.

Healing a survivor also snaps them out of the dream at the same time.

Increased lullaby range while awake.

Remember Me got flushed down the toilet, you now lose a bunch of your tokens when the obsession dies.

Ahahahaha why? RIP Freddy.

I'm ok with the remember me changes because getting obsession meant I spent my time hiding in corners since being found means you get tunneled all game long and loving your team.

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out
I'd be curious to see if they could find a viable alternative to pallet looping. Since they've been progressively making pallets less and less of an impediment to killers you kind of have to squeeze the extra seconds out as a survivor in order to not get downed. It's boring for everyone involved so I'd like to see some incentive to throw them early for survivors or to give them some other way to deal with killers. The most interesting interactions right now are nurse blink jukes and billy chainsaw baiting re: chasing.

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out

Coolguye posted:

this will mark the 4th time they've said this

Having a flashback

I see "we're getting rid of infinites"

I see "we're gonna get rid of trap under the hook"

I see "we're gonna fix SWF lobbies being complete horseshit"

It'll be done in 3 months

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out
In order to address hooks we have added a perk for survivors which makes them and the unhooked survivor invisible when unhooked, and added a perk to killers that lets them put any survivor that has performed an action in the last 5 seconds into dying state.

HOPE THIS HELPS (?????)

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out
Halloween sale + Freddy probably gave them a good boost. Despite the fact that metagame changes come far, far too slow, it's a much better game than it used to be. They're slowly moving in the right direction. I mean poo poo, I remember doing ready simulator so I could get in a game where you either sabo'd all the hooks, got hooked and couldn't be saved due to a trap, or played slug meta every game. The sheer variety of killers is starting to prop up some of their bad decisions and I have faith they'll eventually figure something out.

I will say, I don't hate instant survivor queues for the only time in this game's history.

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out

Strontosaurus posted:

So if I bought this game for $10 and already own F13, should I return it? I've only played it once or twice, but that's also true for F13. My friend were super hyped when it was announced but by the time it came out they had moved on. None of them will play DbD, but despite being a Jason fan, I love the lore in DbD. Help

Both games do an extremely bad job of explaining core mechanics, but this can be alleviated somewhat by watching content and reading up. For Dbd in particular if you're looking for horror it will wear off quickly, and if you can tolerate a league of legends style grind to unlock things that are actually good to play with (aka you can put in a lot of time and be ok being gated by that) then it's worth 10bux for sure.

I complain in this thread because there are gripes I have with it, but I've also put in e:700 hours and still play most nights so ymmv. It'll definitely take more than the 2 hours it takes to refund to get to the point where you're playing the game and not wandering around blowing up generators and getting murdered (low rank killer is pretty forgiving).

I dunno, it's an internet game, F13th doesn't really have a lot better community but I think goons insulate that by playing goon games and at least dbd doesn't have voice chat where people can poo poo talk you at every stage.

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out
I've played maybe 10 games of F13? So I don't have the volume but in at least half of them either a child or someone from korea/china is relentlessly shittalking in lobby/into the walkie talkie the entire game. Since the only comms you get in dbd are postgame you can pretty much avoid them entirely.

I will say there are very few opportunities for goofiness in it though, and I have had a game that was all about chad's dance party.

DBD might as well not have a report feature for all the work you have to put into it. If you have problems with certain players though the weirdo monitor lobbying software that people were using to get pings before they were added in game has a blacklist feature, though I don't think I've seen more than garden variety internet toxic saltiness. I will say I don't follow streamers kind of at all so I have no idea what those respective communities are like.

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out

Terrible Opinions posted:

Someone hasn't played League of Legends.

Dbd def has a bad community but at least they can only be assholes for 10s instead of a 45 minute slog.

That said when some idiot takes bond and object of obsession and just follows you around bringing the killer to you it sucks, but i've had maybe 3 games like that total?

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out

LeJackal posted:

I had a group of body-blocking, hook sabotaging survivors like that the other night. Now, a group of survivors I never see is just boring, but these guys were teabagging, taunting, just being real dicks.

I mostly play SWF and none of us do that poo poo so I honestly don't have a good gauge on how common that is. I will say, I see people complain about body-blocking a lot but isn't that just a way to trade your resources as survivors (health states = time spent healing and not doing gens)? I've never understood the complaint against it as a tactic since health and number of hooks are the only trading cards survivors have to stall killers.

Cup Runneth Over posted:

And then those guys went to the forums to rage about how OP killers are and how it doesn't matter what you do as a survivor, you still die.

If you've ever been to the forums it's 90-95% killers complaining about survivor poo poo. The forums are completely awful for a lot of reasons but it's mostly killer whining.

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out
I get the killers are supposed to be scary terries or whatever, but wrt bodyblocking you have to understand that survivors are essentially giving up time to get to you, time to heal, and a chance that it might not matter at all to add 2 seconds to a wiggle. I think it's fine and fits with the theme of "do you help someone else with your sacrifice or leave them while you escape" they cultivated around survivor play. Gameplaywise the hell else are you going to do? And worst case if you've been breaking pallets how far are they realistically going to get? I want to be clear I'm not trying to be antagonistic about this one, I just legit don't understand why killers have beef with it.

Sporkie posted:

It's this. The forums for DbD are always overwhelmingly toxic, because no one ever wants to lose,

This was always a problem, but it swung massively with the Victory Cube update.

Maybe a perk that could let them 'scrub' the sprint marks for a few seconds, giving them a better chance to hide after breaking line of sight with the Killer.

The nobody wants to lose thing is so very, very true. It's why people whine constantly about the hatch because by god they DESERVE to 4k and anything less is horseshit, nevermind that sometimes as a survivor all you can do is hold out hope that you can pop 2 gens and find the drat thing when the rest of your team is pulling each other for points right after a hook or playing 3 man flashlight footsie (which is frustrating, but such a bad plan), and it's why survivors complain about stupid poo poo like noed (maybe take note of where some dull totems are against trapper/wraith/freddy there friend).

The last perk you described is lightweight, and I run it + iron will in about 90% of my games and it's AMAZING. You can sprint everywhere and it turns every pallet stun/break into an opportunity for a juke instead of just looking for another one. I honestly don't know why more people don't run it given how bad news it is to be caught in the first place.

Cyberdud posted:

I've been playing this game since it came out. The problem with the old pip system for killers was that it was impossible to not end up rank 1 if you played enough games. You ended up rank 1 without the skill level needed to stand a chance againts rank 1 survivors (for me anyway cause I suck) and then you were stuck like this unless you disconnected many times to tank your ranking or waited until the rank reset.

I mean, there was an easy solution there, and it's what they did to almost every survivor scoring event: just tune the bloodpoints down. Instead they ramped them way up and if the killer isn't the highest BP in the game even in a 4 survivor escape they played very, very wrong. I also am good enough now that entropy drags me up to rank 1, and most games they're 5-8k bloodpoints ahead of the highest scoring survivor, and that's not counting the doubling that bbq gives. The exceptions are straight facecampers and the occasional person obviously doing a quest who gets styled on.

TGLT posted:

See, I think that's part of the problem. The reward for successfully evading the killer is extremely good - you get the opportunity to easily heal up and effectively negate the only penalties for that chase. Su

This is true in the metagame but not in actual incentives. I've played keep away from killers before and essentially made them waste tons of time (usually by booping a gen they keep kicking and then hiding well), but if i'm not in a chase throwing pallets I'll end up with scoring events like Bold - 24. I've singlehandedly won games by loving with someone who just really couldn't let that one gen go or who was always on the verge of finding me and de-pipped because stealth straight up isn't rewarded.

Nowadays I run borrowed time, I sit on gens until they definitely see me and sprint burst away, I loop and I try to juke after a bit of a chase because the game only gives you points if you're found or if you're never anywhere near the guy. So you do gens until the second you absolutely have to leave, and if he chases your buddy on the gen with you just get right back on as they run around in the background. And when he catches him, it's not like hiding did you any good because they're either going to camp him or they have bbq because why wouldn't you so all the hiding in the world does essentially nothing.

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out
Did they remove the hex totem indicator for Huntress Lullaby? I was in a game last night where after 3-4 hooks one of my friends was like "do we have lullaby?" so I hit a gen and sure enough delay to the skill check sound. We found the totem and blew it up and he had it postgame, but never got an indicator. Later on we had the same thing happen with ruin only it's super obvious when there's a ruin because of the red skill checks. I didn't see patch notes so did they stealth patch hexes?

I guess I stopped being scared of killers pretty early on. The game is thrilling when you first start but it's clearly not intended to actually be scary. Sometimes myers still spooks the piss out of me at EW1, but I guess it's just overexposure? F13 isn't terribly scary as soon as the voice of a 13 yo comes out of jason threatening to "get you". I suppose thematically yeah it's stupid to gently caress with the killer, but since sab died it's the only real option you have to do anything about someone who is caught especially since hooks/sacs are such a huge decision point to the ~victory cube~ you never know if the killer is going to leave or just run a small circle around the guy. I'm actually on team gently caress Flashlights, I think they're pretty much the worst designed item in the game and encourage fuckery in a bad way and the timing/use case for them is so ridiculously tight and arbitrary.

I honestly think 90% of downs should result in a hook, but short of taking decisive what's the thing you add when you take out bodyblocking? Are you supposed to be eternally hosed against a good nurse? If you gently caress with healing the meta will just violently shift to healthkits and franklins 100% of the time, and if you mess with bodyblocking/looping you have to give survivors something else since finding a survivor is a given at this point.

Also lightweight is my favorite perk it's so so so so good especially against killers that like to try to cut you off since a lot of times you'll lose them entirely once you're out of LoS for 3-4 seconds. Iron will is pretty in vogue but I see maybe 1 other person running lw in a several hour session.

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out

Sporkie posted:

I don't know if they patched that, but I kinda like the idea they did. Make hexes last a liiiittle longer, since really I basically just throw Ruin on my Trapper just to delay the start of the game a few minutes and give me time to trap. A little more use would be great.

I'd be ok with lullaby not showing up until the first hook since it doesn't do anything with no charges, same way devour hope doesn't show up til the first oneshot. It was just weird because it was inconsistent with what I remember, but I'm up against lullaby so infrequently it's hard to say if I'm remembering right.

I think sab is probably the right direction to look since it's essentially only useful in 4man stacks that want to be abusive with it, but they'd need to find some way to split the difference between slug meta and hooks everywhere meta. There have been games where someone gets off because the killer downed them near a hook someone was sac'd on, and I think that kind of permanent damage needs to exist. Maybe 1 hook per survivor with sab is correct? The case of 4 hooks removed via offering + 4 hooks removed by survivors is still something to think about, but I'm not sure that's really worse than the old ebony mori or those completely irritating people who take both ultra rare myers addons and then depip regardless

I mean really the whole idea of the game is survivors interact with/affect the map and the playability of it (using up pallets, finishing gens to make killers not go there, sabing hooks) and killers find the survivors in the increasingly small gameplay area. Having a little control would be better than forcing it all into purposefully interacting with the killer

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out
Please delete rotten fields, it's a garbage map with nothing to interact with.

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out

TGLT posted:

Corn is the real monster of Dead By Daylight.

Corn was fun until the addition of enough killers that don't care about corn that you can't use it to juke

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out

Sporkie posted:

And the map that is like, ALL corn really is a nightmare for the survivors, unless they're up against a few very specific Killer set-ups. Too much 'soft cover', not enough 'hard cover'. Kinda.. Badly balanced.

That map is rotten fields, and we just disconnect if we hear a billy saw. BBQ + no obstacles = first hook and the game is over. No thanks

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out

Hobojim posted:

Oh cool, thanks. I am having fun about half the time as killer, which isn’t terrible I guess. Michael Myers is neat and doing sick nasty 360 no scopes as huntress is also kind of cool. Why does everybody always complain and disconnect against doctor though?

Because, like the nurse, his ability negates most of the avenues people have for delaying/juking the killer and his kit inherently adds a lot of free sweetest with no counterplay. He's not very fun to play against. He is the instant blind of killers.

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out

Hobojim posted:

I have no idea what "adds a lot of free sweetest" means. Is there no penalty for DC'ing in this game?

It means my stupid phone is stupid. That should be detection

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out
Actually, wraith rework just hit. They've made going in/out of stealth far far less punishing and overall buffed the crap out of him. He still has the big weakness he had before: he has to hit you twice, and he has to run at you to do it. I doubt it's made him competitive with the big boys as any killer that requires noed is automatically kind of hosed, but you should at least be able to put a couple people on a hook before gates are powered now.

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out
Not to mention the way detection works with freddy. Object of obsession is free vision only for him, but spine chill works? But spine chill doesn't work for myers, but does for wraith. You end up with this confusing communication of "this lets you do x" but it doesn't and it's not really communicated in any way why.

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out
When there's 2 left yeah you pretty much expect it. She should have gone for the hatch.

Now if there's 4 people in the game and you just camp the first person you put on a hook, that's lovely because then the entire game for that person is staring at you staring at them. Might as well just look at a jpg of the game at that point.

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out
Make sure you rate every match

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out

Yardbomb posted:

In some games it's literally just there so mad people will click that instead of sending spurious reports, so I assume the same.

I don't know how they could possibly pull anything meaningful it of it. What does 5 mean? It's obviously to get less reports

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out
Oh a new dlc while I wasn't paying attention, there's no way the perks are as bad as Quentin's right?

Oh.

:negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out
Q times are fast right now though.

The sound bug where you get full blown chase music whenever you have more than slight heartbeat is extremely disorienting, though.

• Locked thread