Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
I have been wrecking nerds as the Trapper today and it is Good Good Good. My favorite is dropping random traps in the tall grass near generators, so when I come over to say hi and the survivors inevitably scatter, there's a half decent chance one of them will get wrecked by a trap.

I realize that placing them under barricades or windows is more Optimal (I still do that, along with in front of hooks I currently have occupied), but the holy drat do I get a sadistic thrill out of imagining the surprise on peoples' faces when a trap bites them from the grass line.

I keep loving up the repair skill checks as a survivor, though. I know the little noise happens shortly before the skill check happens, but I still miss about one in every 4 skill checks. I feel like such a bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Paradigmata posted:

Thats what you get for playing chainsaw guy.

Trapper is the way, and alot of level 1's.

Seriously, literally nobody seems ready for dropping a trap in front of a hook and they will happily charge up and get hosed by the trap while you're just out of terror range. Survivors CAN disarm the trap even without a toolbox and the associated sabotage command, but nobody does it.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

UberJew posted:

Overall I'm having a shocking amount of fun playing this game and just hope it'll still have a crowd playing it a month from now (because as is I'm worried the real serious business types are being put off by their ladder rank being busted and lots of people being put off by the lack of friend matchmaking)
It really, really helps that the overall game time is short. A single match lasts like 5-10 minutes, so even if things go really badly for you for whatever reason, it's easy to shrug it off and just get back into the game. I think more casual players will stick around a bit longer just from that.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Yeah, the hatch is supposed to encourage people to not play that particular game, but a number of people seem either unaware that it exists or unwilling to go looking for it after the game is already tits up. I had a game like that yesterday too and ended up punishing the player who did it by picking them up, dropping them down, hitting them again, and repeating every couple of steps as I dragged them slowly to the hook.

Wasted my time too but yeah if you screw with me like that I'm going to have you listen to your character screaming and encouraging you to break your keyboard with useless wiggling for a while, you loving bet.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

That reminds me. If I'm running along the edge of the map and spook a couple of crows, that creates a ping for the killer, right? I've always presumed it does, but when playing killer I've never noticed a noise ping come from something like that. I really only get it when a survivor sprints through an action or screws up a generator skill check.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

You can definitely crawl over a barrier with walking stance and not create an alert - it's just parkouring over barriers and windows in sprint stance that do it, and the game is pretty explicit about it with the cloud of dust and loud *clonk* it makes when you do that poo poo.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Speaking of closets just never loving use closets unless you're sure the killer is across the map and you just hosed up hard enough that you know they're coming.

I got at least half a dozen survivors yesterday because I either tracked them into a closet or saw them run in there when I was responding to an alert, and if a killer finds you in a closet that is it, you are hosed and this chase is over. If you try to run and troll me around a window or something, even if I hit you once you've got a bit of a chance to get away. You hop into a closet and you're just throwing your speed boost away. I am going to find you and I am going to kill you.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Spy_Guy posted:

1) Holding down the attack button seems to charge the attack, which does... something?
When a survivor's in view, this causes your killer to sprint a few steps before letting the attack loose. The recovery for a missed strike is substantial, though, so don't whiff.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

so many nerds caught by my bear traps on the first hook

like seriously so many nerds get wrecked by it

god bless trapper

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Jun 17, 2016

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

I win as survivor probably about 50-70% of the time, most killers are pretty impatient and most survivors are way aggressive on attempting rescues, those are the two biggest mistakes I see people making. If someone gets caught and hooked in the first 4 minutes, let him hang for a good minute or so while you work on a generator. If they show up in the basement, loving leave them, they're dead.

Hatches move along with everything else, but they're typically near the center of the map.

The number one key to winning as a survivor is being patient and being quiet. The two main things that kill survivors are blowing generator skill checks, and attempting to rescue hooked survivors at bad times. Especially against a Trapper, hooked survivors are probably best left alone unless you know the killer is elsewhere. You can sometimes bounce someone away from a Wraith even if they're camping the place just because their invisibility power keeps them unable to attack for a critical few seconds.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Nebiros posted:

Is there a Steam group for this yet for when they supposedly throw in non-lovely group making?

We don't appear to have a group, so I went ahead and created one. http://steamcommunity.com/groups/GoonByDaylight

If we end up not needing it okay great cool but here we go.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

it is possible grognan

it is possible

In seriousness, though, it is kind of stupid for survivor ranks. A killer is practically guaranteed to get a shard if he kills at least 3 people, but a survivor can play perfectly competently and not get a shard. Basically, you need to either repair 2 generators more or less entirely by yourself, or clown the absolute poo poo out of the killer, which is what I have been doing the last few games. Getting a killer stun is +800 boldness points, so if you stun the killer twice and don't die you're basically guaranteed a shard.

The twitch pubstar types duck this by always bringing a toolbox so they can sabotage hooks, which is also fine. Sabotaging hooks is pretty good for the survivor team because it makes it a ton easier to wiggle out and clown the killer for a much longer time. Though on the downside, if you do get hooked it's much more likely to be in the basement, where any sensible survivor is going to leave you to rot. However, it's pretty absurd that you more or less require a toolbox to do this, and toolboxes are the least common item on both the bloodweb and in chests. You can get a rare perk on Jake Park that lets you do it without a toolbox, but it takes so incredibly long to do it without tools that you might as well not bother. Nice for sabotaging trapper traps though.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Jun 17, 2016

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

The toolbox is a gamble in the sense that it's very valuable, not that easy to come by, and if you die you lose it. If you have a box, the best thing to do with it by far is to sabotage hooks, in the context of a public game the downside isn't really that much of a downside because if someone gets hooked in the rape basement you're less likely to have half the team gently caress off from the generators and scope out a hook, when the overwhelmingly common outcome of this is to get two people hooked.

You shouldn't use your toolbox on a generator unless it's a really clutch generator, like the last one you need to open the exit while you know the killer's close by or something. Sabotaging three hooks, on the other hand, drastically reduces the danger of an entire section of the map since anyone who gets downed there will probably be able to wiggle out and force the killer to chase them again.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

widespread posted:

Oh, okay. Sounds good as a survivor then. Though are there any advantages to shutting down the rape basement? Or is it none because there could be more than one?

You cannot sabotage the hooks in the basement

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Spy_Guy posted:

I've ran into an annoying bug with picking up downed survivors. One time I just froze up for the animation, but the dude was still on the ground. The other time I didn't even get a prompt.

Frustratingly enough the latter was with the exit gates open so he could easily have crawled out, but fortunately he bled out before he could.

When this happens, survivors also cannot heal the poor sap. Happened to me in like my 4th game ever. I thought people were just assholes but then when the killer came up and very obviously was trying to grab me I realized something was wrong.

e:

LibbyM posted:

Another good way to rank up as survivor is to repair an extra generator while the killer is worried about guarding the 2 exits. It's a dumb way to play, but if you want to climb ranks...
One time the exits were almost right next to each other and the killer was a hillbilly, so he was patrolling both with his chainsaw charge. I found a nearby generator and fixed it to kill time, and that caused the hillbilly to try to come nail me, and while he was looking for me one of my teammates opened one of the exits. :haw:

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Jun 17, 2016

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Indecisive posted:

Fixed an issue that could cause bloodpoints to display a negative value when players earned more points than their previous total
Oh THAT'S what happened there

e:

I just got KOed and crawled all the way across the level to the single open gate, and successfully made it away. My heart is still loving pounding.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Jun 17, 2016

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Donnerberg posted:

Don't worry too much about losing stuff. It seems like you can replace it fairly often as long as you get an okay score.

It's hard to replace toolboxes especially if you lose them, I have taken to equipping Looter's Sense or whatever it is and making sure to plunder a chest on most outings.

You can start building up a backlog for yourself that way. I currently have a half-dozen medkits even though I only had one on the bloodweb.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

The second an item has 0 charges left, it disappears and is gone forever.

If you leave a map with an item that has 1 charge left, it will be deposited as a full, "unused" item in your inventory.

Also, regarding the hatch: You can trip across it at any point, but it is only active with 1 survivor left. There is a wind wooshing sound it makes when you're near it and it's active. It's relatively faint and sounds ambient, so keep your ears sharp. This appears to be documented approximately nowhere but it is a huge help when you're in the poo poo and need an exit.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Jun 18, 2016

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

It's really kind of weird how balanced in favor of the survivors this game is. It almost feels like the killer's underpowered.

What's really funny is that if you look at the Steam forums they're just as adamant that the killer is OP.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

You count as dead and receive 0 blood points so he lost a rank shard and anything he was carrying

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Any hook camping gets nuts with insidious. It's particularly insane with hillbilly because people don't expect him to have any dirty tricks.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

I've directly observed a trapper using insidious and it doesn't change your appearance outwardly at all, at least not from the range I was observing him from.

e: and yeah without cheesing windows, literally the only two ways I've been able to get away from a competent killer is to get them with a killer stun and then immediately disappear around a few corners, or take a hit from the killer and use the speed boost to disappear around a few corners. The sprint trail is such that you actively require like 2 tight corners to confuse the killer long enough to get some distance. This isn't a huge problem on most of the Autohaven Wrecker maps, but on Coldwind Farm it's actually an extremely tall order.

I agree window cheesing is super lame but if it gets removed somehow the survivors need something else to compensate.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Jun 18, 2016

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Skill checks take too long to resolve to even handle normal window usage, so that wouldn't be fantastic. And again, how do you recommend survivors get away from a chasing killer, ideally? What constitutes good play? I haven't seen anyone on any forum propose something that sounded good and fun with that so far.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

As a survivor I typically scope out an area before settling in to touch a generator so I have a plan a for if the killer shows up. Changing those set pieces means my scouting would take a second or two longer and that's pretty much it.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Mister Bup posted:

What I do is break line of sight, stop god drat running, and find a concealed place to hide and change direction. Killer has tunnel vision, if you can get far enough from his cone of sight he'll lose track of you. It's not perfect, but if the only solution is to abuse cheese spots that make it impossible for the killer to catch you then there's some fundamental design issues that need to be worked out.
Doesn't work in open areas, the scratches you leave from sprinting will lead a competent killer straight to you. I realize you said you stop running, but the walk is about 40% of a killer's normal speed. Unless you have a good 3-4 seconds to walk away and find a spot to hunker, you are going to get followed and seen to the end of your scratch trail.

And truthfully, if you have 3-4 seconds on the killer you have pretty much already gotten away anyway.

That said, if you are in a constricted area and make a couple of turns this works great, because the scratches are so wide that it gets confusing to tell which way you went, and that gets you a couple of seconds to put some actual distance between you and the killer. However, constricted areas like that are actually not the norm in the game, and are practically nonexistent in Coldwind Farm.

Donnerberg posted:

Maybe a stamina meter instead, that'd run out of you tried to vault infinitely? I don't know. I think vaulting to throw the killer off is absolutely necessary and good play, and the killer shouldn't obsess with one guy, but split his attention evenly to all his babies.

It's a problem when it's being gamed for points or when you're down to the last survivor, who puts the match in a stalemate.
Stamina as a whole seems like something the survivors should have, yeah, but again, it's really tenuous right now because I can't figure out what a survivor should do to evade a killer that's chasing him with even a 50% success rate if we presume they can only hit a window/pallet let's say three times in 10 seconds. This would also make the Wraith absolutely bonkers since he can roll right up on people.

Fresh Shesh Besh posted:

But what I'm saying is it doesn't need to be taken out, just altered. Change some of the major buildings and make it something actually manageable by the killer. As it stands good survivors escape the killer by frustrating him rather than actually using any sort of stealth or cunning.

You don't need any specific window to cheese. Some are easier than others with longer walls attached to them, but this doesn't address what people are complaining about at all, really.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

You're especially visible as Wraith if someone's a fan of the old Predator movies. It's very much a Predator shimmer when you're cloaked, so if someone knows that shimmer they will flip out instinctively.

The other thing you should definitely not do while cloaked as Wraith if you're trying to sneak up on someone is walk up on a hill. The shimmer is three times as noticeable when the backdrop is just the sky.

I'd actually put Hillbilly as worst killer overall, though, you are just way too obvious in the general sense to get many merciless victories. Wraith is worse than Trapper, but if you approach generators from the perimeter, you're practically guaranteed to get up in someone's grill, and that's by far the hard part of the hunt in general, is just laying eyes on someone.

Of course, this changes if you're in a cornfield, and then hell yeah give me some Hillbilly chainsaw massacre action.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

The flashlight is hilariously good to use if you manage to get a killer stun with a pallet, if you're quick you can take the stun into a flashlight hit which absolutely will give you enough time to ditch the place. But in general yeah, a flashlight isn't really worth it unless you're not taking your day very seriously. A medkit is basically always better.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Destroying pallets is pretty pro click, yeah, especially if it is near a generator that you might raid again pretty soon. Brutality points too, which is never bad.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Yeah it seems pretty obvious that the survivors are not intended to be communicating much, but they clearly don't think that it's going to be THAT big of a deal ultimately because they actually said premades would be in on release day. That didn't happen of course, but they're still saying it'll happen soon, which makes me wonder if they have some other substantial changes that will make communication less important.

e: Actually I think the solution's pretty easy: as a killer, you can choose whether or not the game will be ranked. Unranked games neither award nor take away ladder progression shards, and premades can only play unranked games.

If you don't want to deal with that bullshit you just play ranked, but if you do elect to play premade it can't mess with their ladder system.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Jun 19, 2016

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

DCing as a rank climber hurts you threefold so I really have difficulty believing it's truly as common as goonsay likes to imply.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

H2SO4 posted:

In case anyone is interested, here's a clip where I got a successful flashlight stun on a Wraith. You can also see what it looks like before/during uncloaking.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJUKwTGuY6M
ive always thought the point tally 'killer burn' is insanely metal

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Yeah Jake's Sabotage skill is a real pain for the Trapper, but it's functionally not relevant for sabotaging hooks. It takes way too long, you are just going to get caught and mounted on one of the hooks you're trying to sabotage.

That said, a toolbox can get a pretty scary number of charges if it's given two add-ons; three hooks is not unheard of for one box, and 4 might be possible.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

polka posted:

Does the chainsaw auto aim if a survivor is in touching range?

no, that guy is insanely good with the chainsaw and it's hilarious

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

LibbyM posted:

In the beta they actually had a tier where you could maintain your rank and not gain rank (for both survivor and killer). Does anyone remember what point total that was at?

I think that was 3K? Which I liked a lot actually

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Boldness points all revolve around trolling the killer, escaping is honestly the most safe thing you do there. The main thing you can do that doesn't involve getting close to a weapon-wielding meat mountain is to sabotage hooks, but you'll need a toolbox or a high level Jake perk for that.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Drakenel posted:

I can't help but think this would be vastly better playing with goons, if that's possible. We don't have a steam group or anything? I kinda troll around mumble, but that's only so much for efficiency.

I made one, but since private games don't do anything with rank or blood points there's been almost no response. http://steamcommunity.com/groups/GoonByDaylight

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Grognan posted:

Wow something just wiped all my rank and levels.

Edit: probably steam servers being down.

yeah one of the funniest things to me about this game is that it literally will not work in any capacity whatsoever unless you have a constant connection to steam...and yet they still trust the client computers so much that they'll just blithely accept it if you say "i now have 900k extra blood points and i'm unlocking 18 levels at once"

i'm not as hard on this game as certain people who can't stop alternately bitching about it and playing it (Bups) but there's definitely some serious wtf in it

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Grognan posted:

the "heal faster than he can hit" build is starting to be irritating.

man when i saw the whole bit of 'this also makes toolbox/medkit use faster' i said to myself "this is gonna get stupid" and here we are

seriously, like not being able to destroy a bear trap and/or stop your survivor's constant bitching and moaning without tools wasn't worth a perk slot? we're competing with "when you get someone off a hook you can heal them faster" for gently caress's sake.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

DreamShipWrecked posted:

I go on the steam forums so you don't have to.

Good to see that there's a lot of things like window hopping and perk rebalances going on. I am a bit concerned about the "get gud scrub" approach they are taking to it, since a game that is only fun at the top of the experience bar is hard to bring new blood into. But it could be good? Maybe.

little concerned that they didn't mention the huge advantage a premade has over a killer due to out of game communication, but beyond that this is pretty heartening

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Every time I hook a twitch streamer I will hit him an extra time on the hook and then drop a bear trap in front of him to mess with him a bit more

• Locked thread