Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

CaptainYesterday posted:

Wiseman, the head villain of Sailor Moon R, is probably the most holy poo poo bad guy ever. Seeing that he's not in this game makes me sad.

He's basically the only villain not to come back to life in the course of this game.

Working on the next post now, let's see if I can get this done before I go into work

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013

Robindaybird posted:

Really a lot of the DiC edits were pretty drat clumsy, but it added a kind of weird charm to it.

DiC dubs were great and I won't tolerate any other opinion.
The characters will always be Serena, Ray, Amy, Lita, Mina, and Rini and Molly will always have a Jewish New York accent.
I ACCEPT NOTHING ELSE. Really looking forward Japanese cash-ins from the 90s and the answer to the question, "Are they better or worse than American ones?"

Sailor Moon says, teehee

E:

Weed Wolf posted:

the first two seasons have that really jarring CG animation style, but I was willing to overlook it because the story was so very good. the third (and current) season is much closer to its roots, and returns to hand-drawn transformation scenes and more "natural" character styles.

e: Also, the third season is the best arc with the best characters, and definitely doesn't shy away from sailor uranus' gender fluidity + sexual orientation this time around!

That's pretty awesome. Even as a kid, I knew that Uranus and Neptune were more than just "cousins"

Postal Parcel fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Jun 7, 2016

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Postal Parcel posted:

DiC dubs were great and I won't tolerate any other opinion.

:hfive: I'm not really a fan of Sailor Moon but my cousin was really into it when the original was new, he also made me watch the...S movie? The one where the world gets frozen and Luna falls in love with an astronomer, many times.

I mean you can tell me how much better Crystal is all you want but that's like saying Dragon Ball Z Kai is better than regular DBZ, it's still DBZ so it's schlocky junk tv regardless.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
I watched Sailor Moon when it aired on Toonami back in the day and looked at the Kodansha Comics' localization of the manga while browsing the local bookstore so I know the basic info on the franchise.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Edvarius posted:

And honestly? The storylines after that are even more insane.

Sailor Moon is a gleefully crazy 90s girl superhero cartoon. It owns.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

Dr Pepper posted:

Sailor Moon is a gleefully crazy 90s girl superhero cartoon. It owns.

The manga is more insane by miles. The final story in the anime is "we have to break into the TV station the villain has taken over". The same arc in the manga is a death march to the center of the galaxy.

grandalt
Feb 26, 2013

I didn't fight through two wars to rule
I fought for the future of the world

And the right to have hot tea whenever I wanted
Well, the manga in exchange gave up a lot of character depth. The anime had time for the characters to breath, and this game takes a bend of both of them, but more of the anime, I think.

TCat
Oct 10, 2012

I'll save you the time and call myself a loser
You know personally I wouldn't see "Using the actual Japanese names of characters instead of their kinda dumb dub names" to be weeaboo, it's not exactly the early 2000s anymore. And hell I didn't even see any Japanese honorifics so honestly this is looking reasonably fine aside from lovely fonts, that gross border, and the typos.

END ME SCOOB posted:

The manga is more insane by miles. The final story in the anime is "we have to break into the TV station the villain has taken over". The same arc in the manga is a death march to the center of the galaxy.

Don't forget how the final villain also turned out every other villain previous was offshoots of them, including the sentient death planet.

grandalt posted:

Well, the manga in exchange gave up a lot of character depth. The anime had time for the characters to breath, and this game takes a bend of both of them, but more of the anime, I think.

I don't remember a lot of depth in the manga. Mostly just a lot of "Everyone is actually a lesbian and all villains die within two pages".

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

TCat posted:

You know personally I wouldn't see "Using the actual Japanese names of characters instead of their kinda dumb dub names" to be weeaboo, it's not exactly the early 2000s anymore. And hell I didn't even see any Japanese honorifics so honestly this is looking reasonably fine aside from lovely fonts, that gross border, and the typos.

That's because I cut all the honorifics. If you really want an unaltered version of that intro, I'll post it, but it's a lot of untranslated terms, trailing honorifics, and nonsense.

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
do you still not understand?

END ME SCOOB posted:

That's because I cut all the honorifics. If you really want an unaltered version of that intro, I'll post it, but it's a lot of untranslated terms, trailing honorifics, and nonsense.

We're here to see a bad, badly-translated game. Give it to us at full power!

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

END ME SCOOB posted:

Post it for the sake of comparison, so we know just how much of a favour you're doing us.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The 90s anime got a new dub recently that kept the original names and didn't edit Haruka and Michiru to be cousins, or make any other edits. So in a sense, using the original JP names is canon now.

As for Crystal, the third season is a lot better due to a change in character designs and director, but I still don't really like the manga in a lot of ways. Haruka and Michiru are a lot more fun in the 90s anime.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014

Endorph posted:

The 90s anime got a new dub recently that kept the original names and didn't edit Haruka and Michiru to be cousins, or make any other edits. So in a sense, using the original JP names is canon now.

To be fair, the VIZ dub doesn't have to conform to the regressive television standards that DiC's dub was bound to. Plus Viz uses Kodansha Comic's localization of the manga, which is more faithful to the original Japanese version, as the basis for its dub.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
My friend got me to start watching the new dub, and I like it. I preferred the original English voice actors, and it's kinda jarring to hear clearly Japanese names in the midst of all the English, but on the whole I like it better.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Aces High posted:

I mean you can tell me how much better Crystal is all you want but that's like saying Dragon Ball Z Kai is better than regular DBZ, it's still DBZ so it's schlocky junk tv regardless.

Kai is basically just a remaster. Crystal is a straight up reboot.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

I dunno, the story beats are still the same...except that part where all of Queen Beryl's champions also were princes in their previous life and were hooked up with each of the other sailor scouts :gonk: that was something I am sure glad was never in the original

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

The best thing to come out of Crystal, to my knowledge, is this.

Edvarius
Aug 23, 2013
I'm in the ranks of those that prefer the original anime to the manga. The anime characters just have so much more depth to them, both heroes and villains. Not to mention far better humor (the anime version of Professor Tomoe has got to be one of the most enjoyable mad scientists ever). And unfortunately when Crystal was made it seemed like every change they did make from the manga was for the worse. Though I'm only going by the Dark Kingdom stuff as far as that goes. I keep telling myself I need to watch the first episode of the Infinity arc to see if they kept Tuxedo Uranus but it's hard to work up the motivation when season one sucked so badly.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

One wonders what lovely anime dubbers' obsession with making specific characters sound like they're from Brooklyn is all about. Between Molly, Joey Wheeler from Yu-Gi-Oh, and the 4Kids version of Sanji from One Piece (among others I'm likely unaware of), that's a lot of completely out-of-place New York accents.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Small stable of voice-actors, and it seems like they like to link Kansai accents to either Brooklyn or Texas, so if a character's speaking with a far more noticeable accent in the dub, it's trying to localize a regional accent.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
Also the "EY IM WALKIN ERE" accent is the one most VAs learn first because of how pronounced and 'easy' it is to learn.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Lizard Wizard posted:

The best thing to come out of Crystal, to my knowledge, is this.

I'm pretty sure using Jojos for the best part of anything is cheating.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
Is this now the Sailor Moon confession thread?

Chalk me up as another young boy who was just as into the show for the chicks in mini-skirts as I was for the insane plots and, yes, the will they won't they romance.

And yeah, the DIC dub did a really lovely job of trying to hide that Uranus and Neptune were loving.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
Sailor Moon was the one 1999/2000-era Toonami series that I never watched, so this thread (and the ensuing conversation) are basically my first exposure to it. Fun!

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

I always thought the so-called DBZ vs Sailor Moon rivalry was weird as gently caress? They're not even the same type of shows (if anything Samurai Troopers/Ronin Warriors would be a closer contrast to Sailor Moon)

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Robindaybird posted:

I always thought the so-called DBZ vs Sailor Moon rivalry was weird as gently caress? They're not even the same type of shows (if anything Samurai Troopers/Ronin Warriors would be a closer contrast to Sailor Moon)

This rivalry doesn't exist if you're beyond the age of twelve and no longer care if "boy stuff" is better than "girl stuff".

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost

Robindaybird posted:

It wasn't so much rivalry as "Eh. I need to get my homework done sometime and if I hurry I can finish it up in time for Gundam Wing."

After the entire block finished was my precious gaming time, so obviously that was out.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

RickVoid posted:

Is this now the Sailor Moon confession thread?

Chalk me up as another young boy who was just as into the show for the chicks in mini-skirts as I was for the insane plots and, yes, the will they won't they romance.

And yeah, the DIC dub did a really lovely job of trying to hide that Uranus and Neptune were loving.

If anything, DiC made it worse by claiming they were cousins, because it added a disturbing new dimension to the remaining romantic overtones. DiC was just not very good at what they did, in any respect.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
I remember getting past the second chapter exactly one time in this game, so I'm looking forward to seeing the rest of it at your expense.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

Let's hop out of bed and play the actual game.

Incidentally, this is me restating "Someone totally phoned in Luna's sprite". Look at how first-draft that seems compared to everyone else.

So this game's story takes place in chapters. Except by the next chapter we're going to have subchapters. So don't really pay much attention to that.

This is our menu screen, which for half of the game, will be useless. A lot of time is spent with a minimal or solo party, so it makes these options unusable or null.

As much as you'd think the "MoonCup"s should be under Rare Items, they are consumables for a reason we'll see in battle. However, throwing in with my theory that this game was programmed on a tight schedule, let's see what the actual Rare Items are...

...Okay we should not have half of this poo poo. The weird thing is that only the Outer Senshi (ie: anyone from a planet past Jupiter) have their poo poo in Usagi's purse.

Every character can equip 3 accessories, because they're clearly covered for weapons already. We lack all of these right now so we'll go into more depth later.

Formation will come into play around bosses, most random encounters it won't matter worth a poo poo. But right now we only have one party member, so meh! (Look how terrible those cat sprites are!)

And now that we're here, time for First-Timer Corner. Let's talk about Sailor Moon.

Usagi Tsukino was a young teenager flake when she helped an injured cat on the way to school. That cat, Luna, proceeded to talk to her and start following her around, eventually tossing her a series of cosmic items and going "Look, we're going to need to do something about this monster right in front of you, transform for me". Going by the anime, she's pretty much an eternal flake with a heart of gold, but she's also the Moon Princess reincarnated, so she gets to be the boss by virtue of inheriting the Silver Crystal, a source of infinite power her mother (Queen Serenity) used to rule millenia ago before the Moon Kingdom was wiped off the face of the Moon.

I'm not going to lie: I prefer the manga, because it didn't have to do filler episodes, and so every chapter moves things forward, and the character growth comes faster over time. At this point there, Usagi has had to learn she's got a daughter in the future who she's now been saddled with in present day, she's stopped 3 whole cosmic menaces, and is growing into the woman who will eventually rule the galaxy, getting her poo poo together with the aid of her friends and not-yet-husband. Meanwhile, in the cartoon, she's still tripping over her drat feet or having to be reminded "Hey, use the super attack".

There's more to this story but we'll cover those as relevant people come into the picture. If anyone has some questions about "Wait, what the gently caress is X", ask, because I'm trying to fill in the gaps this game doesn't give enough of a poo poo to.

Every character has special moves. We'll go over these in battle, because right now, they're just text on a screen.

Remember Chrono Trigger, and dual/triple-techs? Sailor Moon can do the same thing, but not yet, because we have nobody else in our ranks. The game's nice enough to log any we perform, though, which is handy when you get party customization later.

Finally, there's Puzzle. Right now it's a black void because we have no pieces. This is a 180 piece fetch quest across the whole game, where about 90% of them drop as random encounter items, and maybe 20? 25? are hidden in specific, missable areas, locking you out of the final reward at endgame (it's an accessory).

Usagi technically has a human family. They will never really be involved in anything, and actually disappear for most of the series in all incarnations. Don't worry: Naoko Takeuchi remembered they were around in the final arc of the manga when she murdered every single person Usagi knew and loved, down to and including the cats and Usagi's 'adoptive' family.

As we leave the house, the very first NPC we aren't related to is this "merchant", who will appear in a bunch of places worldwide. He heals us to full health. I know that's not their intent, but years of working at a seedy liquor store means I can only see this dude as a dealer who is dipping into his own supply as he begins screaming about the tired people.

One street over, we enter the city prope-

MOTHERFUCK MY SPINE

Every time you enter this map a car will fly out from the left entrance, straight through Usagi and over Luna. You can walk through it, run in front of it, do whatever, it has no collision. I have no idea why this is here.

So this is the Juuban district, aka the city our characters live by. It's about 4 blocks by 4 blocks in this game, including a full junior high school, so I wouldn't exactly consider it "to scale". I'm not sure what Luna means by people in town acting weird, unless JRPG NPC behavior is odd to her.

Two major points of advice are given out: "Do you want to know how to play the game? Go to the Clock Store and the Game Center for tutorials." and "Some weird crap is happening at the OSA-P store." There are actually a lot of locations from the series represented around the town, but right now, we can only enter the above three...

...and the convenience store you can see here. We may as well see what a store looks like.

I wanna take special note of these two items: "Nakayoshi" is the comics magazine Sailor Moon was published in, and despite the nonsensical translation, "Pork Chop" actually cures anyone of the 'Accident' status.

Next time: gameplay mechanics!

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
All your accidents, like for example being run down by a speeding car outside your own goddamn home

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
Bonus post: people wanted the unaltered text of the opening to see how I'd cleaned it up. Okay, sure. Starting from the middle (I kept it direct to this point):

"In search of answers, Neo Queen Serenity begins to pray to the legendary Mystic Silver Crystal, Ginzuishou.

(scene transition)

Serenity: ..........!!
Serenity: Why is the Ginzuishou vibrating so wildly?!
Endymion: Evil energy has appeared...
Diana: It must be incredibly powerful.
Serenity: (turns to face the camera) The Death Phantom has dealt a powerful blow.
Serenity: ...........huh?
Endymion: (joins her) This Death Phantom is a new... enemy?
Serenity: The era of the Great Peace* is finally over.
Endymion: It was bound to happen sooner or later...
Serenity: This is a very serious matter.
Serenity: We must call upon the Sailor Senshi!
Diana: Hey! The Ginzuishou has stopped vibrating.
Serenity: Strange... My visions of the disasters to come have stopped.
Endymion: The ominous tremblings, what do they mean?
Serenity: Undoubtedly, this is in some way related to the comet.
Endymion: .....could it be so?
Serenity: .....yes! It must be so.
Serenity: The Great Peace of the Universe* must be protected using the power of the Ginzuishou.
Serenity: The New Silver Millenium must remain!

(scene transition, modern day)

Usagi: Let's go!

(they run off. pan to the roof, where Apshar and Sin appear)

Apshar: Older sister, are these the girls we're looking for?
Sin: Hehe...
Sin: Certainly, this is what we were sent here for.
Sin: This must be where they live.
Apshar: Should I spy on them?
Sin: It is our Destiny.
Sin: Yes... we must try to make Lord Apsu's wish come true.
Apshar: It is Destiny...

(Sin teleports away. Apshar looks off into the distance.)

Apshar: Princess... I, like my sister, vow to make our Destiny come true.

(scene transition, to the twin Usagis on the street)

Usagi: Chibi-Usa? What is it?
Chibi: I just had a vision from the future!
Usagi: (laughing) Yay!
Usagi: So what's it about? Was your boyfriend in it?
Chibi: It was about Mamo-chan!
Usagi: Idiot...
Chibi: It's more important than THAT!!
Chibi: (I have no idea what her sprite does here)
Chibi: ........Usagi........
Chibi: It was about a new enemy. Some kind of aliens...
Chibi: We're all going to have to work together. We have to defeat them!
Usagi: (laughing again) That's pretty weird, Chibi-Usa!
Usagi: But still, the peace must continue uninterrupted.
Usagi: Even if evil aliens invade Earth.
Usagi: I am Sailor Moon...

(transformation)

Sailor Moon: And on behalf of the Moon, I'll punish you!"

So yeah. If you want to tell me I'm a crazy person at this point, feel free, but I still feel this reads like overly literal dogshit. All of those periods are in there, by the way, and I actually counted every drat one for the transcription.

* This is not a term anywhere in the loving franchise.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

here's something I've wondered, since I've watched a few subbed episodes: why did they change words for attacks in the dub? All of the names for attacks were in English so your work was already done for you. That and I didn't know what the hell people were talking about when they would shout "make UP" until much later in life :v:

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

quote:

Formation will come into play around bosses, most random encounters it won't matter worth a poo poo. But right now we only have one party member, so meh! (Look how terrible those cat sprites are!)

I wouldn't bet my life on it, but I pretty strongly suspect that your choice of formation and position in it matters even when you only have one party member. It'd make no logical sense, but there you go.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

Thuryl posted:

I wouldn't bet my life on it, but I pretty strongly suspect that your choice of formation and position in it matters even when you only have one party member. It'd make no logical sense, but there you go.

The first boss is in the next update, and it really won't matter yet because I do something that trivializes a training boss even further.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

END ME SCOOB posted:

So yeah. If you want to tell me I'm a crazy person at this point, feel free, but I still feel this reads like overly literal dogshit. All of those periods are in there, by the way, and I actually counted every drat one for the transcription.
Worse, it's not even fun dogshit.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
So this is basically an RPG like Final Fantasy, only set in the Sailor Moon universe? Looks interesting.

I prefer the anime as well, at least to what I can see from Crystal. It has more time to develop the characters, and more time to do fun stuff. For example, answering questions like: Can Sailor Moon use Moon Tiara Action, even if her current outfit has no tiara? See for yourself:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wGa2yWvaILE&t=11s

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Aces High posted:

here's something I've wondered, since I've watched a few subbed episodes: why did they change words for attacks in the dub? All of the names for attacks were in English so your work was already done for you. That and I didn't know what the hell people were talking about when they would shout "make UP" until much later in life :v:

You should see the work the Swedish dub had to go through, where they found the American translation hopelessly useless, because the words that still sound kind of cool in English makes no loving sense in Swedish, so they basically retranslated everything, including making a better cover song for the opening based on the Japanese opening. The one that springs to mind is the main characters name which became "Annie" and Tuxedo Mask became "Maskerade Rosen".

This was also possibly the first anime I saw, feversick and lying in bed from cold. The rebooting thing frustrated me quite a bit, I recalled.

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013
Uh, why did Serenity cover Tokyo in crystal? From what I've heard around the internet about this part of the story, it sounds like there was some kind of cataclysm that reduced the population of Earth to just Tokyo, and "neo-Queen serenity" rules over the ashes, which uh, doesn't sound very heroic. What the hell is actually going on with that?

I can have moments of... eccentricity and sometimes be quite curious about things. Please forgive me if I do something foolish or rude.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

Stephen9001 posted:

Uh, why did Serenity cover Tokyo in crystal? From what I've heard around the internet about this part of the story, it sounds like there was some kind of cataclysm that reduced the population of Earth to just Tokyo, and "neo-Queen serenity" rules over the ashes, which uh, doesn't sound very heroic. What the hell is actually going on with that?
The second arc is where the time travel and the future comes in. In short: things are hosed in the future, so Usagi's daughter comes back in time trying to find the hero who can use the Silver Crystal (not knowing who it is, or that it's her mother, or...). This happens because she actually took the drat thing and left her mother powerless, so an attack destroys the whole goddamn world save the palace (where the other Sailors are putting up a shield at the cost of their lives to protect the royals).

It cannot be stressed enough that this series gets extremely metal at times, and I'll fill in some more details when those villains show up again in the game.

• Locked thread