Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.
I played and finished this thing, back when I had way too much free time for my own good. I actually didn't hate it: it's got huge balance issues and the plot is kind of a mess, but it does have one or two neat ideas. Plus I'd only ever watched the first couple of seasons of the show at that point so the game was my first introduction to nearly half the main characters, which was pretty mindblowing to my li'l teenage proto-weeb self.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

quote:

Formation will come into play around bosses, most random encounters it won't matter worth a poo poo. But right now we only have one party member, so meh! (Look how terrible those cat sprites are!)

I wouldn't bet my life on it, but I pretty strongly suspect that your choice of formation and position in it matters even when you only have one party member. It'd make no logical sense, but there you go.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

END ME SCOOB posted:

/
Ami Mizuno/Sailor Mercury

Ami is the best, and I say this entirely without bias*. She controls water and ice, is the brains of the operation, and tends to get pegged as "the weak one" due to a lot of her powers not being offensive in nature in the anime.

I accidentally got a friend to start marathon-watching the anime a few days ago, and he observed that the senshi are actually way more likely to get their asses kicked in a fight whenever Mercury doesn't lead off with her bubble attack.

Also, in her early drafts of the manga, Naoko Takeuchi originally planned for her to be a cyborg and to be killed off permanently at the end of the first story arc. Neither of those things ended up happening.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

kefkafloyd posted:

Saturn is probably the single best character in the game when geared up with her specific accessories. She has only one attack but it is stupidly good.

Against bosses I think I'd rate Mars and Uranus a bit higher for their single-target damage capability, but she's amazing at clearing out random encounters. Character balance is one of the many things this game is sorta weird about.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

One thing to note about formation is that it makes a huge difference in this game. You can go from taking 500+ damage from an attack in the front of an Arrow or Victory formation to taking less than 100 damage from the same attack in the back, and the damage you inflict is modified by a comparable amount as well.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

I don't actually remember how this part goes, but I doubt it makes a big difference in the long run either way, so do the nice thing and help his mother.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

Sworder posted:

Are you sure you can't come back to these areas? I seem to recall there being a system of fast-travel later in the game and I think the Chapter 2 areas are options for it.

You can come back, but only at one specific point in the plot, so they're still missable.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

The poison is the really obnoxious part of the Nabu fight. Both she and Mercury have way more defense than attack power, so if you haven't got both of Mercury's accessories and put her in an aggressive position in formation, it's pretty easy to end up in a situation where the poison does way more damage than either side's actual attacks and the fight turns into a test of your patience and how many recovery items you brought along. (I mean, it's going to be that anyway, but it can be even worse.)

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

the_steve posted:

I remember there being a Tenchi Muyo RPG for the SNES. It had a tactics element to it, but overall it was a pretty shallow game. I think the level cap for any given character was 8. The special attacks were all pretty cool though. I don't remember it being the least bit difficult, honestly can't remember whether the translation was any good or not either, though I think it was.

Not only was the level cap 8, the experience system was dead simple: to level up, you needed to defeat a number of enemies equal to your current level. So you could grind a repeatable battle near the start of the game and get everyone you had available at that point to maximum level if you wanted. (This was pretty much the only way to get some characters to level 8 at all, particularly Ryoko since she was unavailable for most of the midgame.)

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

Even after being weakened by the power of plot, Super Beryl was probably the second-hardest boss in the game for me. This isn't usually a difficult game but some of the bosses can just ruin your day, and she's one of them. It doesn't help that Saturn and Uranus are the only two members of the current party who are any good at doing damage.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

I was already going to vote for Saturn, Uranus and Neptune because...

esperterra posted:

Team I'm a Biased Homosexual.

...well, this, but sure, might as well add one more set of votes to the bandwagon.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

Cheese Pain posted:

:swoon: Oh man, I can't wait to check this out! I rented the first 7 or so episodes on VHS a million years ago and wanted to see more. I've also seen the movie, but that made zero sense. If there's one thing I had to say that I loved about what I saw of the show thus far, it would be the episode with body swapping curry. Holy poo poo, was that ever funny. I know it doesn't really speak for the rest of the show, but I love stupid episodes that appear once in a while to mitigate the seriousness, even though I love some serious shows.

Yeah, I honestly feel the comic relief episodes are really important to Utena's overall pacing. If you're binge-watching the series, a good rule of thumb is to watch until you see a Nanami-focused episode and then take a break for the day.

Also the movie felt to me like basically an alternate-universe retelling of the series in which Anthy is a whole lot more proactive and most of the male characters are a lot less so. I think it holds up better as a commentary on the series than as a standalone work.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

kefkafloyd posted:

While the rest of the inners could reasonably destroy anything at any time, Sailor Moon is the only one who can actually heal things. It's a great dichotomy but even the anime lost that after a few seasons.

She does get a healing ability in this game too, it's just that it's generally less effective than using items (for bosses) or ending the battle before you need to heal (for random encounters).

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

Incidentally, if you missed any of the hidden puzzle pieces from earlier chapters, the ten minutes of the game when you have the airship is your absolute last chance to go back and pick them up. Of course, unless you're using a guide this doesn't help much because you probably won't know there's anything hidden there to come back for in the first place, but it's a nice thought.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

Vil posted:

Admittedly, putting Venus (not known for her damage output) in the highest-damage-dealing center spot probably didn't help matters.

Venus isn't that bad at dealing damage; she's not as hard-hitting as Mars or Uranus, but I'd say that with comparable levels and equipment her damage output against a single enemy is slightly higher than Saturn's (although Saturn has the advantage of multi-target attacks). Swapping her with Mars might still have been a good idea, although Mars has no defensive power at all so she tends to die easily despite her high HP.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

Some of the difference could also be that you were using a different party formation: Cluster is basically the glass-cannon formation, so going for something more balanced would mean your characters were less likely to get one-shotted. But yeah, even taking that into account I'm not sure what's up with the four-digit damage on Mercury in that update either.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

Easy mode is fine by me, as long as you don't Time Stop your way through the whole end boss fight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

Credit where credit's due: the whole "lose to the final boss and get an easier refight with a different ending" thing is kind of a neat idea. Not neat enough to be worth playing all the way through the game for, but still.

• Locked thread