Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
The sum of my experience of Sailor Moon is that I watched the first 12 episodes of the TV show a few years ago. If I knew it got this crazy, I might have stuck with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

C-Euro posted:

My wife was big into Sailor Moon when she was a kid so I've picked up quite a bit of second hand knowledge in the last couple of years. It is quite weird and also Sailor Moon (the older one) is a total dumbass.
If you told me she was destined to be the immortal god-queen of humanity I'd think you were making poo poo up to screw with me. That's so silly. Is it always shown directly like it is here, or is it normally only stated and you have to take their word for it? It's the first I've heard of any of this Neo Queen Serenity Silver Milennium Crystal Tokyo time travel poo poo. It's so stupid, I love it.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
I wonder if it ever struck the rebels as ironic that their planet was named after the personification of divine retribution.

Is there a Sailor Nemesis, then? She sounds like just the kind of gritty antihero that Sailor Moon needs.

I'm sure I'm describing someone's fanfic right now.

FractalSandwich fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Jun 6, 2016

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

END ME SCOOB posted:

That's because I cut all the honorifics. If you really want an unaltered version of that intro, I'll post it, but it's a lot of untranslated terms, trailing honorifics, and nonsense.
Post it for the sake of comparison, so we know just how much of a favour you're doing us.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

END ME SCOOB posted:

So yeah. If you want to tell me I'm a crazy person at this point, feel free, but I still feel this reads like overly literal dogshit. All of those periods are in there, by the way, and I actually counted every drat one for the transcription.
Worse, it's not even fun dogshit.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

END ME SCOOB posted:

The second arc is where the time travel and the future comes in. In short: things are hosed in the future, so Usagi's daughter comes back in time trying to find the hero who can use the Silver Crystal (not knowing who it is, or that it's her mother, or...). This happens because she actually took the drat thing and left her mother powerless, so an attack destroys the whole goddamn world save the palace (where the other Sailors are putting up a shield at the cost of their lives to protect the royals).

It cannot be stressed enough that this series gets extremely metal at times, and I'll fill in some more details when those villains show up again in the game.
I think that was a song on Somewhere In Time, actually.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

END ME SCOOB posted:

In the anime, this dude shows up every loving week for the first arc, and pretty regularly in the second, to pop in through a window, toss a rose and gently caress up a villain, and then go "Finish the job, Sailor Moon!" By some accounts, Naoko Takeuchi was not thrilled with this aspect of the adaptation, because it kind of undermined her heroine in a series that had huge undertones of Potent Ladies Doing poo poo For Themselves.
That really annoyed me about the 12 episodes I saw, so I'm glad he's not supposed to be that way.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

MonsterEnvy posted:

To at least relate this to Sailor Moon here is the original opening for the anime
I have a deep respect for songs that make up bullshit alternate readings for kanji to be cute, and kuni "country; homeland" for 地球 "Earth" is one of the best (worst) I've ever seen.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

END ME SCOOB posted:

You'd think based on the above characters she'd get either wind or earth attacks, but no.
Or based on the Japanese names of the planets like Mercury and Mars, you'd expect her to have metal magic, but Jupiter already broke that pattern too.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

MechaCrash posted:

As a brief fill-in for those wondering: Japan has a different element system, which is Fire, Wood, Water, Metal, and Earth. Jupiter is associated with wood (as I recall its name means "wood star" in Japanese). If you want to know more, ask someone who knows.
You recall correctly. The five classical Indo-European elements are recognised as well, but the Chinese Five Phases are what the classical planets are named after (and the days of the week, by extension) so that's what you get here.

FractalSandwich fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Jun 9, 2016

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
I pick up this show back up where I left off and the first thing that happens is Jadeite gets crushed by a rogue airliner on an airport runway and Liam O'Brien shows up to replace him as the next villain. So good.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Getsuya posted:

I mean I'm not volunteering or anything (though I will continue to point out some of the bigger mix-ups in this translation in this thread) but someone needs to re-do this patch from the ground up.
Oh no, not another goon project. The world doesn't need Sailor Moon: Another Story: The Crystal Clock.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
I'm almost surprised there wasn't already a team of evil anti-Sailors as part of the original story.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
Honestly, I wouldn't have it any other way.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Blockhouse posted:

watch the new dub it's pretty good
It is. I watched a bunch more of it today, actually. Jupiter is here now. When Scoob talked about what her introduction is like in the comic, I figured whatever she does in the show couldn't possibly be as good as electrocuting a major villain to death, and it's not, but punching one in the mouth (drawing blood!) and wrestling a monster to the ground before she's even a Sailor is a pretty good crack at it.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
I'm suddenly glad the thing I'm watching it on only has the first season.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

U.T. Raptor posted:

(I'm not counting Supreme Thunder Dragon here because it's just a variant of another attack and it got used all of two or three times ever. Which is a shame, because it was :black101: as gently caress).
The Azure Dragon is associated with Wood, so that's even on-theme.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
Those last two episodes, holy poo poo. You weren't kidding when you said this show gets metal as gently caress. I'm a sucker for a good last stand, and I sure as hell wasn't expecting one from Sailor loving Moon. No way I'm passing on R after that.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
I'm starting to suspect this might not be the brilliant groundbreaking magical girl game we've all always secretly dreamed of.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Torrannor posted:

The kanji of World Shaking also apparently mean something like sky-world-shaking.
Really "天界" means "the heavens", but on their own that's what they mean, yeah.

Not having actually seen it in action, if I had free rein to give "天界震" any English name I wanted instead of Takeuchi's "World Shaking", I'd say "Heavenquake", if that's not too cheesy.

FractalSandwich fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Jun 15, 2016

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Torrannor posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uw4PA9HGBtM

13 second video of the attack in the 90's anime.
You're joking! Sailor Saturn not being earth-themed is confusing enough without Uranus having an earthquake attack that shoots out a big orange ball with rings.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
It helps that "Haruka Tenou" is a very "heaven-ish" name, but that's not at all apparent in English.

FractalSandwich fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Jun 15, 2016

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Endorph posted:

Honestly, everyone's names are super, super on the nose.
That's also extremely true. I figured it was probably common knowledge.

I'd actually never seen them all written down next to each other until yesterday. It's almost painful to look at.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

END ME SCOOB posted:

Reread that. He's giving me (earned) poo poo because I wrote that the baby is raising herself.
At this point, I wouldn't put anything past this series.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

END ME SCOOB posted:

Hi, it's a slow night at work but I don't have my PC here to edit poo poo.
Hello. We've had some dreadful weather here lately, but I'm enjoying my Saturday anyway. I'll probably play some Odin Sphere later.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Waffleman_ posted:

But it's not accurate to the holy Japanese language.
Excuse you, that's "sei naru Nihongo".

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

EclecticTastes posted:

:stare:

Turns out anime was real all along.
You say that, but Sailor Moon definitely lied to me about what colour sailor uniforms are. The only ones I saw when I was in Japan were black.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

END ME SCOOB posted:

*** Okay, I also lied here, because gently caress writing "Tuxedo Kamen-Sama" fifty times.
Really, gently caress writing that even once.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
Yeah, I have to say that doesn't sound very convincing. I'm not buying what you're selling, Scoob.

FractalSandwich fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Jun 22, 2016

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

END ME SCOOB posted:

Look, I went to go double-check this, and this whole scene reads gay as hell to me.

"We have no need of menfolk".
drat, you're right. That is pretty gay.

Akujiki posted:

Not necessarily, it depends on what kanji is used. The kanji you're imagining, furthermore, is probably 真 which has the Japanese reading makoto. Traditionally speaking, because it's written "Shin no Ishi" the "shin" would need to be the Japanese reading, not the Chinese. Sometimes this gets flubbed, but I don't think that's the case here.

More likely, it was 芯 (or meant to be interpreted as such, if written in hiragana/katakana), which means "heart", "core", "center" (so not necessarily the human heart, but the heart of the matter etc). And if I'm wrong, oh well welcome to Japanese without kanji, it's a nightmare most of the time.
I had the same thought, but it's definitely 真. I wouldn't put it past this translator to have misread it, though.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
Sailor business comes first.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
Also I just finished watching the second season. I like it a lot less than the first. Chibi-Usa is the fuckin' worst.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

END ME SCOOB posted:

That writer is very clearly a kid from the mid-00s. He didn't debug poo poo. I'll keep an eye out for more "effects" but I'm still not sure this isn't a placebo effect...
I appreciate your skepticism.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
Because of this thread, I made a dumb thing for randomly generating magical girl and magical girl-like names for another project I'm working on. I also made a quick-and-dirty Javascript port so you can see it for yourself. It'll give you ten at random each time you reload the page.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Kobanya posted:

I swear this sounds like an early 80s anime I watched once. Like, this would be the empress the five warriors served, and she would secretly yearn to either be part of the team or a normal girl or something. And then when the warriors were caught in some evil enemy trap, Empress Kiyo would appear and reveal her secret power and join the team and there'd be a fuckton of shoujo bubbles and hand holding and tears.
It's like if Queen Serenity was Tuxedo Mask instead of Endymion.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Ardeem posted:

Moving to Australia has not improved the rate at which Kittyhawk puts up chapters. More and more characters have been figuring out that there's something very deeply wrong with Yuuki, but then they all decided to go get drunk instead of dealing with an eldritch horror in magical girl form. :shrug:
So it's turned into an allegory for Australian politics?

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
This is this the first I've heard of this comic. I couldn't reciprocate even if I wanted to.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

END ME SCOOB posted:

**** I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT THIS IS SUPPOSED TO MEAN, but if I try turning it into something sane, nothing else makes sense in this scene, so...
If I understand the Japanese text correctly, this is what's actually going on in that scene: Ishtar actually says the opposite: "How did you know I was here?". Venus tries to play it cool but screws up a figure of speech, as she does. My very elegant and professional translation of what she says is "Ha! You must think I'm blind as a bird!", to which Ishtar of course says, "You mean a bat?", and then she sees the stupid rock, and then they fight.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
I don't even know where they pulled that "place" from.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

END ME SCOOB posted:

The second floor has the "sick room", which you might refer to as a nurse's office under any other name. It's good to know where this is for plot reasons!
It's not too far from cromulent English. In Australia we call it a "sick bay".

END ME SCOOB posted:

I really want to know what the dialogue is here in Japanese, because in this translation, it is:

Saturn... your father is being controlled. It's getting dangerous, Hotaru. It's not right for you to help this time.
Yes. It would be too heartbreaking for you now. We can't lose because of sadness.
Mmm, you're right. Thank you, Sailor Moon. This time, you help Papa.
I'm looking at it, and what they've got is definitely super wrong, but I'm not sure I have the context to translate it properly either. When they say "this time", I'm not sure if they mean in contrast to earlier in the scene, or something in the original story. How did Professor Tomoe's arc end originally? Is he supposed to be dead or something?

• Locked thread