Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

END ME SCOOB posted:

Crazy dead. Infinity ends with the entire Tomoe clan as corpses, but time/space revives Hotaru as a baby for Neptune/Uranus to raise.
Okay. I'm still not super clear on it, but here's my best guess. If he's supposed to be dead, the first line is something like: "Saturn... your father's just being controlled! Hang in there - wouldn't it be nice if you can save him this time?" (Since last time he got killed?) If he's not dead, I guess it's more like: "Wouldn't it be nice if you can be the one to save him this time?" (Since last time it was up to the other Scouts?)

The implication isn't too different either way, and it doesn't really affect the rest:

"She's right. Even if it hurts right now, you can't give in to despair."
"Yeah, you're right. Thank you, Sailor Moon. This time, I'll save Papa!"

It's a bit of a stiff translation, but you get the picture. You can see the original here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
Seeing the logs for my magical girl name generator, that thing got a lot more traction than I realised. Maybe I should turn it into a Twitter bot.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Caphi posted:

I like the two dozen different, specific, presumably pointless damage types, but my favorite thing is that Healing Shower does not actually heal. Who'da thunk?
They don't matter on their own anymore since they took out Resistances, but Physical damage is still affected by Armour, and some specs have a Mastery that affects a specific kind of elemental damage.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

END ME SCOOB posted:

Hey, speaking of Utena, apparently all of it is subtitled on Youtube for free by the licenseholders. Go watch that. It's a wonderful series and I love this move even as the dude who bought the crazy box sets.
Unfortunately they were too responsible to "accidentally" leave the region controls turned off.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Gigify posted:

I feel the need to add a vote for Mercury, despite her having no chance at this point.
That's hosed up. You should start a petition for Scoob to switch to a single transferable vote model.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
sometimes I forget how much fun that show was

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Ningyou posted:

hi i'm ningyou and i have complicated feelings about this anime about time dweebs and all-consuming Superflat enthusiasts and the things it does to its characters
I don't know what a Superflat enthusiast is, but I think I feel the same way

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
Right, yes, of course. I thought it sounded familiar. You were making a funny joke, and I stepped on it.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

KataraniSword posted:

And in doing so, you squashed it super-flat. :v:
In the immortal words of Queen Beryl: I regret this.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Ryushikaze posted:

Man, everyone here has stories about how Sailor Moon was an eye opening experience for them, and all I got is the time I borrowed the entire managa series from a friend and told her I'd get the series back to her tomorrow. And I did.
The secret is that the hundreds of people reading the thread who only have non-stories to tell aren't posting about them.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

END ME SCOOB posted:

See, we can now find where the Sea of Serenity is, which is a thing on the Moon (which should be goddamn findable by actual NASA imagery), but we're actually doing this to find it on EARTH because for some reason the Moon Castle is there? What?

It's in "Harumi, Tokyo" which is kind of weird based on what research I did, because that's a district of a subsection of Tokyo itself. I'm sorry, this isn't an LP of Go Go Nippon, I'm not here for actual Japanese geography.
It's a play on words, between Japanese and Latin. in this particular case "Harumi" is written as 晴海, which has the same meaning as "Mare Serenitatis". (The usual translation of "Mare Serenitatis" into English is of course "Sea of Serenity", but "serenitas" also means "fair weather".)

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
I don't know about that either. I'm not sure that's even what's going on. I'd have to read through the whole last chapter in Japanese to even maybe find out.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

END ME SCOOB posted:

Yeah, this was why I tried getting someone else to look it over for me, because even using some story guides or google translate, I cannot make heads or tails of what is coming out of anyone's mouths anymore.
too late, I did it anyway

I think the situation with the Moon Castle is intentionally cryptic, or maybe there's something I'm just not getting, but I can tell you this much for sure: Mamoru is supposed to have mentioned the Mare Serenitatis when he was telling Usagi about his dream a couple of updates ago. And actually he specifically says "the Earth's Mare Serenitatis", which makes way the gently caress more sense. You skimmed over that part in the LP, so I'm not sure how they translated it.

FractalSandwich fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Aug 3, 2016

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

END ME SCOOB posted:

It's all made up. It goes "hey I'm still sick" "Yeah but happy times!" "Oh I had a premonition, our enemy is..." (coughs himself back into a coma)
Quality.

I get it, it was 1999. Wikipedia didn't exist, and Google barely did. That's no excuse. If you're not up to the job yourself get on loving sci.lang.japan or something and talk to some people who actually know what the gently caress they're doing. Jesus.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Instant Sunrise posted:

I know that one of the fansub groups that specializes in Sailor Moon started working on translating the script for Another Story, but they got sidetracked by one of the musicals, and they also didn't have anybody with the technical expertise to turn the script translation into a rom patch.
I'm surprised it hasn't gotten easier to find collaborators as the internet's gotten bigger, but I guess I shouldn't be. All the people who were already familiar with that kind of thing were already online, and I don't imagine many new people are teaching themselves how to do it - I wouldn't gently caress with that if you paid me; it takes a special kind of pervert to do it for fun.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

KataraniSword posted:

Oh, it's plenty easy to find collaborators.

Getting a fan translation to completion is not entirely unlike getting a goon project to completion.
To good effect, I mean. And specifically ones who know how to hack... SNES machine code? I don't even know what the relevant field is.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

END ME SCOOB posted:

My first encounter in this UFO turned into "Only Space Queers Can Save Us All".
The sequels to Only You Can Save Mankind went in a really surprising direction.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
Unfortunately my genuine best worst fan story is that this translation patch exists.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Jenner posted:

It always astounds me that stuff like Sailor Moon and Revolutionary Girl Utena came out of Japan. Don't get me wrong, I'm grateful for it. Baby Bi me desperately needed this poo poo. We all needed it. And to be honest I have no idea how they got away with it. I presume because Profit trumps Prudishness? I suspect independent doujinshi got really popular and so the Japanese Media just jumped on that poo poo. But that's just a theory of mine. In America iin the 80s and 90s if you tried to push Media with gay relationships that poo poo would just not happen... but it happened in Japan and Japan is also pretty stuffy (to put it lightly.)

It also kinda has a known problem with women. Women who get married are often laid off/fired because it is assumed they're going to start popping out babies and it is generally accepted in a patriarchal society that a woman's job is to stay at home and raise the babies while their husbands work themselves to death. It is very problematic and girls are taught that they should want this poo poo. That it is the ideal ultimate achievement and society kinda poops on them if they don't fall in line.

However, the last couple generations of women in Japan have started to say gently caress that poo poo and responded by committing entirely to their work, often avoiding marriage/relationships which has lead to its own problems. But I digress. I honestly interpret these "happily ever after" scenarios being actually nightmares that are killing the girls as a bit of social commentary. Like the creator is just taking the piss out on this toxic bullshit.
It goes without saying that that's all true, but I'm not super comfortable talking about a country as a single unified and conscious actor like that. It comes across as a little nationalistic, and more importantly, it lets individual sexist shitheads - who exist in every country in the world - hide behind the excuse that "That's just how we do it here" instead of taking personal responsibility for their actions.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

END ME SCOOB posted:

Our end goal in the castle is to steal Sage Beryl's loot talk briefly with Beryl and I'm incredibly curious if this conversation is different in Japanese, because in this version, it makes no sense. There is talk of people being "lead away" by a comet, and how if a God of Destruction were to rise from it, we'd all be better off dead.

Then Usagi tells her "Hey don't brainwash Endymion to your side, that wouldn't be 'real' love." and Beryl goes "Yeah I bet that bitch you look like would say that too."
Bit late on this one, but: it's not "led away", but more "led astray" or "seduced". The one it's happening to is Beryl, and she seems genuinely grateful to Usagi for snapping her out of it. I don't know if the rest of this game or Sailor Moon in general bears this out, but I assume the "dark god" that's awakening is Metallia, and Beryl's dead right when she says it's trouble.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

MightyPretenders posted:

Odd. The way it reads in the translation, it's more like

Beryl: Maybe I should worship Apsu's comet (instead of Metallia)
Usagi: No, that'll never turn out well.
Beryl: Yeah, you two do know your stuff sometimes.
Okay, I have to level with you here: I can barely follow what's going on in this story at all. I'm super unclear on whether Beryl is supposed to already be evil at this point. If the comet isn't part of the original timeline, then yeah, I guess she must be and it's a "villain that wants to rule the world fighting one that wants to destroy it" situation.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
Okay. I'm glad it's genuinely stupid, and it's not that my Japanese isn't good enough to understand a game for children.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

END ME SCOOB posted:

Now get ready to get rocked, because if Chibi-Moon has just become the dodging queen, Black Lady is a motherfucking brick wall of defense.
Dodging Queen is my favourite ABBA song.

END ME SCOOB posted:

So I promised a summary an update or two ago, meaning let's go over what's happened so far:
Even in Japanese, I got barely any of that. The actual story must have all been in the parts I skipped over to get to the things you specifically asked about.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Aw geez, I remember this now. I really liked Cardcaptor Sakura as a kid, I loved a lot of magical girl animes and mangas: they were one of the few forms of media at the time that had both female protagonists and a wide cast of supporting female characters and little girl me liked that. They also had action and cool monsters, which I also loved (and still do).

But why did so many of them have to have such include horrible and unnecessary creepy bullshit along with all the good stuff?

Whhhhhhhhhhhy?
That kind of thing is also a huge problem in video games. If anyone reading this wants to make a difference but doesn't know how, the simplest way is to just make as many cool video games as possible. You don't need to be an artist or a programmer or whatever, especially if you're interested in using games to tell stories - anyone can write IF in Twine with no prior experience whatsoever.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

END ME SCOOB posted:

Sailor Arrow Attack costs 6EP, is described as "The Messiah shoots an arrow", and involves some weird palette bugs you can see in the above two screenshots. I would be willing to bet that translation is not entirely accurate!
Couldn't tell you. I was just looking at someone's Youtube playlist before, so I can't easily check anything outside the main script.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

END ME SCOOB posted:

I seriously cannot tell how you anime people hate the dude, because he sure as poo poo has style over on your side of the fence.
Apart from a general aversion to heterosexuality?

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

END ME SCOOB posted:

Last time, I ran with the worse of the two, which is achieved by having Sailor Moon's team wipe against "Demon Apsu" - another mistranslation, literally everything I found online, machine translated or otherwise called her "God of Destruction". Which, you'll recall, Beryl mentioned in passing when we saw her in the past.
I have a plot twist for you: Beryl says something different in Japanese. She talks about an 暗黒の神 ankoku no kami "dark god / god of darkness", where Apsu is called a 破壊神 hakaishin here.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
forget Sailor Moon, show me Virtual Springfield or go home

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

END ME SCOOB posted:

Sometimes your franchise just needs a big gay vampire.
Sometimes? Always.

• Locked thread