Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."

END ME SCOOB posted:

I just looked up the Japanese rom, and holy poo poo. I did not even think about those being translated. This actually makes me angrier because I presumed that terrible font was used because it was "the only English font in the game by default" or something, but no. Someone chose that godawful typeface.

They were really smug about it back in the day, too, since not many people could import their own fonts.

Naturally they refused to share tips on how to do it.

I never finished this game. Translation aside, there's that certain point where it just gets especially painful to keep slogging through.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

This inspired me to blitz through the manga since I never actually finished it and holy poo poo I did not realize how bleak it gets.

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

Holy poo poo. Thanks for the translation comparison, I had no idea.

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

What i remember about the live action show, thanks mostly to meme screen caps, was Ami's hosed up home life

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

That mess was even in the manga, god Takeuchi only knows why.

:japan:

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

Waffleman_ posted:

Wasn't there an entire season about Chibiusa smoochin' on a Pegasus?

Sailor Moon: Y'know what we coulda just done without Chibimoon entirely, thanks

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

I remember thinking Saturn was super badass when I was a teenager, but then I was also going through a goth phase back then.

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

Hobby... Lamps? Cosmetics?

They got Haruka's big thing right at least.

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

Also you mixed up Haruka's portrait in the "suddenly she aged up" exchange.

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

Waffleman_ posted:

In that case, would you be able to sue without revealing your identity?

Japan is weird about copyrights. See also: JoJo

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

Capitalist Berserker Ikue

This is fantastic.

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

geri_khan posted:

Well, you lot got me watching Sailor Moon Crystal's season 3. Hope you're happy.

(16 mins in) They really changed the style of the daimons, huh? Or maybe they changed it back, I don't know.

Also, Geomagnetic Grenadier Asana sounds pretty cool.

This is all back in line with the manga, so no more monsters of the week for a while.

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

Kaza42 posted:

Magical Burst was pretty good for Madoka-style grim magical girl games, from what I've heard. I have a friend who ran a game of it, he seemed to like it

Hellooooo...

Ah who am I kidding I can never get enough people and see games to completion these days.

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

I refuse to fall into this trap again, not after candy crush saga.

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

I like the show us how bad it is, but please don't do asterisks if you're gonna do asides, because by the end of the post I've forgotten what they referenced. Just take a moment right there to go what the gently caress is this bullshit.

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

FractalSandwich posted:

Seeing the logs for my magical girl name generator, that thing got a lot more traction than I realised. Maybe I should turn it into a Twitter bot.

Please do!

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

she really didn't, her only crimes were having a lovely dad and being born with terrifying death powers.

Having a reset button on the universe is pretty handy, really.

It's too bad the Bizarro Senshi are so loving slapdash in their methods, cause I kinda have to sympathize with finding it loving terrifying that the world is ruled (and more or less held in stasis?) by an eternal 22 year old who was never all that emotionally stable to begin with.

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

Y'know, out of all the late stage bullshit the manga pulls, the only thing the really pissed me off was what happens with the Luna, Artemis, and Diana.

After hanging around in human form a bit, all the crescent marks on their foreheads get hosed up, which as established way way waaaaay back in the beginning, screws with their higher moon being brain functions. And also no more fashionable as hell human forms.

For the rest of the whole grim sequence of events they're just regular rear end cats, meowing in the background while Usagi cries about the horrible poo poo going on.

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

TurnipFritter posted:

One aspect of Crystal that was kinda nice was how it painted Ami/Makoto/Rei as outcasts that Usagi brought together as friends. It's a good concept, you know, to have Usagi as this super friendly person that brings people together and makes them feel like they belong. Unfortunately they didn't really execute it very well, so it ends up being "Usagi is nice to them in their first episode and then never speaks to them again."

The live action series handles this a lot better.

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

This thread is the best. :allears:

I still have the doom tree saga on VHS somewhere.

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

Leave Chibi Moon behind because she's used to spending time on the ground by now.

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

This is the part of the game where I quit, because I vividly remember that black and green crystal palace being the last thing I saw.

I don't have any good bad Sailor Moon fan stories. I used to troll livejournal to laugh at all the fan made self-insert senshi, but the countless variants of Sailor Earth were just painfully unimaginative. They're gone with the rest of lj now :(

People picked some truly heinous color combinations for uniforms in an effort to stand out from the official senshi, too. The real shame was that not one of them had attacks named Colorblind Love Supreme or something.

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

Haifisch posted:

Not as terrible as the fans who did actual fanworks, but I remember a site dedicated to pointing out all the differences between the dub and original. Not bad in itself, but I remember a lot of unnecessary bitchiness about it.

And against all odds, it's still online and looking exactly like it did in the early 00s.

Holy poo poo it's proto :goonsay:

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

I once had a penpal (thanks school outreach programs) who would send me xeroxed scans of the copious amounts of sailor moon poo poo she imported, along with her hand written rants on how superior the Japanese series was to the :byodame:HACK JOB:byodame: DiC did. That was back when Stars was currently airing and the Internet was just the a handful of warring fan sites each claiming the other stole their scans, so she was my only source for news.

Then I made the mistake of asking if it was really all that bad and she stopped writing. :(

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

Dango Bango posted:

Wait what? Arkham Knight sucks? I loved the first three games and was seriously contemplating getting an Xbox One pretty much just for that game.

One word: Batmobile

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

END ME SCOOB posted:

Good news: when we finish this chapter and go into endgame I'm going to summarize with the help of a pal. It's stupider than you think.

I can only imagine.

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

Senerio posted:

You monster. I wasn't going to buy it but this was Jupiter... :(

I also bought Mars because I like Mars too.

I'm deterred by the fact the color of her skirt is so bright it hurts my eyes. Maybe it's just the photo tho

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

That's actually pretty rad, unlike the Funco monstrosities.

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

I like how the opposito senshi have those weird collars with ties and... fragmented pauldrons? slapped over their bodysuits as an afterthought. It makes modified sailor suits look way better by comparison.

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

END ME SCOOB posted:

And can only be performed by the original 5, meaning it was impossible during this segment.

I'd say it's a pity the outers never got anything better than offering up energy while the others fought, but when you've got the Guardian of Time and the Destroyer of All Things on your team it'd probably be overkill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

Imagine the senshi charging into battle using ChibiMoon as a shield.

• Locked thread