Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Crimson Harvest posted:

Apparently there might be some legal trouble, something about the terrain generation math.

The devs are saying the formula isn't used in the final product.

Even the guy who patented the generation formula says they have no plans to delay release.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Jerkops posted:

niuce av

:dva:

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Benny D posted:

There's no multiplayer??

There's an incredibly low chance of running into another player but they're not specially marked so you may never know if it's an npc or a goon :tinfoil:

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

elf help book posted:

Im sure it has secret multiplayer that doesnt require a ps+ subscription

My bet is that it just spawns a player mob on any planet the database knows has a player on it.

No actual players. Just AI mimicking them. No gods, no masters.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Lumpy the Cook posted:

Sometimes I think this about MGSV. The hype and speculation and theories for it were a lot of fun

They really were.

The trailers were better than the actual game.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
I mean gameplay wise it's excellent. I did put probably over a hundred hours into it just messing around.

It's just that Kojima games have always been about the story and I don't think anyone can argue that V didn't fail there.

Definitely looking forward to whatever insanity Hideo brings next

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Average Bear posted:

people were driven to insanity trying to understand there's no more MGSV to play. Who can blame them

If only there was one more map....

Really I wonder what V would've been with like a Star Citizen budget.

Edit: on topic

ESRB thinks there's MP. Won't they be surprised.

Mokinokaro fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Jul 28, 2016

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

I.N.R.I posted:

like every1s entitled to think whatever they think, but i think completely the opposite of that.

Hey, fair enough.

I just feel the game ends on a weak note. It ends on what should be a midway climax of the story. The Skullface plot is solid, but once he's dealt with the game turns into a series of (somewhat unfinished) epilogues that are obviously trying to tie it into the games that follow chronologically and I just feel not all of those hit.

The Truth and how it works storywise I love too, though I feel maybe the mission could've been cut down a little for the 2nd playthrough and the bit on the Quarantine platform is amazing. I'm not even sure if the cut episode 51 would have completely saved the ending either. The game's first 2/3s are strong enough to be a complete game I feel (especially if you count Ground Zeroes as part of it,) but Act 2 is overall a lot weaker outside of the couple really really high notes I mentioned.

I enjoyed my time with it and, contrary to what people here seem to think, still liked the game. There just was a lot of missed potential and the worst part is we won't see an even better MGS VI that builds on the extremely solid foundation Phantom Pain has.

in short, #Fuckonami

EDIT:

HORMELCHILI posted:

i think the story works perfectly in mgsv considering the context of the player in the narrative but the ending was def underwhelming

Yeah, you cover it better. It's a somewhat weak ending that doesn't ruin the whole thing thankfully. The ending feels like it should've lead to another chapter or something.

Mokinokaro fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Jul 29, 2016

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

In Training posted:

I think MGSV is basically flawless. Like Bloodborne

Bloodborne's only "flaws" are the framerate and loading times. The former isn't bad enough to actually drag the game down and the latter, well, that just encourages you to get better at it (and is a lot better after the patches anyways.) So yeah it may as well be considered flawless and few games can be called that.

EDIT: /\ I'd actually completely forgotten the engine budget, but my point was that I wonder what V would've been if Kojima had been able to completely realize his vision. You can tell compromises had to be made to get it out the door even what we got was really good. Of course, unlimited budget and time could've made him go super-indulgent and ruin the experience with super long cutscenes again. The gameplay focus was to V's benefit.

Mokinokaro fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Jul 29, 2016

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Benny D posted:

According to konamis financial filings MGS5 cost ~100 million. It generated $179 million in physical sales on release day, digital sales aren't included for some reason

Most companies that publish sales data weren't tracking digital sales. That's only changed in the last few months.

Anyways, back to NMS. What are some fellow goon plans for release day? Personally, mine heavily rely on whether the game was actually delayed to the 12th or not.

EDIT: \/ Yeah, I get that. There's all the reports that he hired composers and stuff whose contributions didn't even make it into the game. The development of MGS V was likely quite a mess behind the scenes. Shame Japanese companies almost always keep a tight lid on that poo poo because a post mortem would be a fun read.

Mokinokaro fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Jul 29, 2016

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

In Training posted:

MGSV is a 60 hour game ignoring the 50+ it take you to 100% it, a gameplay time that like 0.01% of games can actually justify, and the #1 complaint from everybody is that there isn't enough of it. It's an incredible game

Nail on the head. That was exactly my point.

I wanted more. Of everything it provided. That gameplay was just so good, I wanted more missions in more maps of it. I wanted some interior missions, I wanted vehicle based ones. I just didn't want it to end.

Mokinokaro fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Jul 29, 2016

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
Some guy paid $1250 to get their hands on an early copy:

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Copper Vein posted:

This game is going to require an Internet connection to function at all, right? Is there a point to having a disc copy versus buying it digitally?

It can be played offline. It just won't be able to add to the online database until you connect

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Bolverkur posted:

FINALLY this game is coming out it feels like forever I've been waiting to see the games thread meltdown about this

Good news: the meltdown started about a week ago and is still going.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Gamer With Dignity posted:

drat how'd you get pikachu to show up? :sweatdrop:

:potg:

• Locked thread