Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the Greatest Team?
Oorai
Pravda
St. Gloriana
Saunders
Anzio
Chi-Ha-Tan
Kuromorimine
Selection
Maginot
Jatkosota
View Results

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

And it was glorious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I dunno. That gun was certainly way more powerful than it should have been, but Christie suspension did genuinely allow tanks equipped with it to engage in some bizarre poo poo. Darjeeling's Churchill handling like something out of The Fast And The Furious stood out to me more.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
everyone's tanks handled like drift kings in the movie

to the point I am legit surprised there wasn't an akira slide

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

Darth Walrus posted:

I dunno. That gun was certainly way more powerful than it should have been, but Christie suspension did genuinely allow tanks equipped with it to engage in some bizarre poo poo. Darjeeling's Churchill handling like something out of The Fast And The Furious stood out to me more.

IIRC the problem with the BT-42s gun was that the HEAT shells the finnish industry created for them had horribly bad quality control for the fuses, causing them to frequently just not detonate at all. Assume working shells and the shots in the movie all work. Hell, they generally took their homework there, like how the few Pershing kills we see Chi-Ha-Tan score are all delivered by the 47mm-armed Chi-Has with point-blank shots into the turret ring.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Gamerofthegame posted:

everyone's tanks handled like drift kings in the movie

to the point I am legit surprised there wasn't an akira slide

They did usually differentiate between the big, barely-mobile monsters like the KV-2 and T95 and everything else, though, and the Churchill should probably have fallen into that category. Like, I'm perfectly fine with it as an indication of just how badass Darjeeling and her crew are that they can make a glorified bunker like a Churchill dance like that (because anyone with an undefeated streak against Oarai is totes badass), it's just worth remarking that it's some really egregious rule-of-cool stuff that's easily on-par with what the Finns get up to, despite not being quite as flashy and obvious.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

god drat the movie owned

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

Buy some freaking medicine.

Cake Attack posted:

god drat the movie owned

it made me elevate the saunders crew to just about the top of the list in terms of insanely cool pals you can count on, which is a pretty hotly-contested spot in this series

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
Somebody pointed this out in another forum.

Schematics to the Tiger P's drive train and the tankery rulebook.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

if only i could post back in time to make fun of the people in the first girls und panzer thread

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Cake Attack posted:

if only i could post back in time to make fun of the people in the first girls und panzer thread

maybe you can

K. Flaps
Dec 7, 2012

by Athanatos

Cake Attack posted:

If only I could drive over them in a Maus.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

K. Flaps posted:

If only I could drive over them in a Maus.

i don't think you could get very far in a Maus.

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

the BT-42's special snowflake turret was so loving heavy that the ~*Christie suspension*~ couldn't handle it at all and everyone who drove in one wanted to kill themselves in true bogman fashion

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
On the subject of earnest characters, Momo is my absolute favorite. Seeing her not only in the gunner's seat but able to score her first kill ( :3: ) fills me with the highest elation.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?
Well, the movie loving owned. Pretty sure I heard a bunch of War Thunder tank SFX thrown in there.

Highlights for me was Anteater team getting swole as gently caress, and T28 reveal.

If everyone's posting AMVs, here's one I made a few years ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oVgmB3WNQrM

Falken fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Jun 13, 2016

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

The Anteater team getting swole as gently caress is even better when you remember that they got knocked out because they weren't swole enough in the championship match.

Jintor
May 19, 2014

they got too swole, they broke their own tank

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Jintor posted:

they got too swole, they broke their own tank
Yup.

I also loved the battle sections that had no music, just cannon fire and richochets. Also the fact that Pravda has an actual badass Russian girl in their school.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Personally, I loved that moment where Kay gets surrounded and just says "Oops!" before they blast her out of the match. It just shows that the Saunders girls are always chill, no matter what.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

jng2058 posted:

Personally, I loved that moment where Kay gets surrounded and just says "Oops!" before they blast her out of the match. It just shows that the Saunders girls are always chill, no matter what.
Really? Kay lost her cool when Firefly-san got ambushed by a bunch of M26 and M24s.

escape mechanism
Feb 12, 2012

It's true, Alicia is the epitome of chill.

https://a.pomf.cat/rkovsp.webm

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
Saunders has a C-5, but in Ribbon Warrior, didn't they have gliders for the light tanks?

With all these resources you'd think that the Saunders strat was just B-52s on repeat or something.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
Thanks for starting a new thread.

Anyway, I plan rewatch but for now have some art:

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
based duce

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
Drawing Chihatan as your teammate in a team exhibition must be the worst feeling.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Kanos posted:

Drawing Chihatan as your teammate in a team exhibition must be the worst feeling.

But think of the glory if they had succeeded!!!!!

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
chihatan owns and i would charge to my death with them

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

to be fair the only three good teams seem to be britain russia and literally hitler

The bar isn't exactly high.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

The Colonel posted:

chihatan owns and i would charge to my death with them

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Gamerofthegame posted:

to be fair the only three good teams seem to be britain russia and literally hitler

The bar isn't exactly high.

America seems solidly OK, if nothing special. And then there's the Finns.

Jintor
May 19, 2014

Someone pointed this out in the original thread but seems like the further up you get in the tournament the more tanks your school needs just to be even viable... though they do have the flag tank thing for that exact purpose, I suppose

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Darth Walrus posted:

America seems solidly OK, if nothing special. And then there's the Finns.

I somehow managed to blank on the Americans.

And the Finns are the anti-Japan in that they're incredibly competent but have no stuff.

Katreus
May 31, 2011

You and I both know this is silly, but this is the biggest women's sporting event in the world. Let's try to make the most of it, shall we?

Gamerofthegame posted:

I somehow managed to blank on the Americans.

And the Finns are the anti-Japan in that they're incredibly competent but have no stuff.

It's ok. The North Wind will bring them tanks. They just need to drop by Pravda a few more times...

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!

Jintor posted:

Someone pointed this out in the original thread but seems like the further up you get in the tournament the more tanks your school needs just to be even viable... though they do have the flag tank thing for that exact purpose, I suppose

Yeah if not for flag tank rules Kuromorimine would win almost every single year just by default (which they do anyway). From what we've seen none of the other schools could match them in an annihilation round. I don't buy into the german tank myths that are popular but if you're in a sport where reliability, cost, and maintenance don't matter and you have a choice between a mix of Panthers, Tiger IIs, Ferdinands, and Jagdtigers and an equal number of M4 mediums or T-34s it's not a hard choice. If Kuromorimine had a team in line with Pravda's they'd have a single Tiger II, a Tiger I, and a ton of Pz IIIs and IVs.

I guess that's why high school matches use flag tank rules but university matches, where the funding is expected to be more even(?), use annihilation rules. Though even with flag tank rules Anzio, Maginot, and Chihatan never stood a realistic chance, while the Finns only get by because of super competent crews.

It does seem weird that the big industrial school, Saunders - whose gimmick is that they spend a lot and their entire school exists to service the senshado team - is so obviously behind Kuromorimine in spending. Maybe Kuromorimine doesn't have the same quantity of tanks in reserve but when high school matches only go up to 30 tanks that seems immaterial. Seems like Saunders should be fielding Pershings and Chaffees like the University team, or at least have them in reserve for the finals.

I wouldn't actually want to see the Finns too much, though, if we do get a season 2 because I'm not sure they'd mesh well. I just don't see how a team that's just so much better than everyone else but is being held down by a lack of equipment can fit in without making the other teams look incompetent or mean-spirited.

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

i read all of the 4komas and they're extremely good. anzio might actually have the most lovable cast after the ooarai gang, they're just so goddamn nice. but now i'm out of material to watch and read, so i guess its time to die

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
It's mentioned that Kuromorimine brought a heavy load out of Panthers, Tigers, Ferdinand, Maus, Jagdpanthers, etc into the finals because they expected to face Pravda. This suggests that Pravda also has a heavy load out in reserve and probably could field a ton of IS-2s if they wanted to.

Saunder's High is probably just being gimmicky and using the "Overwhelm the enemy with mass produced M4" doctrine. Though considering they can take the Sauder's University's C-5 Galaxy, I wouldn't be supervised if they could borrow the University's arsenal for the later tournament matches.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
If there is ever an S2, I wonder if we'll see Oarai trading up some of their weaponry? I mean, yes, their current tanks are really iconic and heavily-marketed, but any series based around cool toys eventually gives its cast new cool toys to play with. Maybe Maho will give Miho her old Black Forest Tiger back after the Panzer IV gets totalled, or something?

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Darth Walrus posted:

If there is ever an S2, I wonder if we'll see Oarai trading up some of their weaponry? I mean, yes, their current tanks are really iconic and heavily-marketed, but any series based around cool toys eventually gives its cast new cool toys to play with. Maybe Maho will give Miho her old Black Forest Tiger back after the Panzer IV gets totalled, or something?

There's precedent for straight up silhouette-changing upgrades like when the student council moved up to the Hetzer, at least.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Zettace posted:

It's mentioned that Kuromorimine brought a heavy load out of Panthers, Tigers, Ferdinand, Maus, Jagdpanthers, etc into the finals because they expected to face Pravda. This suggests that Pravda also has a heavy load out in reserve and probably could field a ton of IS-2s if they wanted to.

Saunder's High is probably just being gimmicky and using the "Overwhelm the enemy with mass produced M4" doctrine. Though considering they can take the Sauder's University's C-5 Galaxy, I wouldn't be supervised if they could borrow the University's arsenal for the later tournament matches.
Lets go into super insane territory. I mean if the (What the hell were they in the movie?) Senshadou United Nations had a loving T28 and a Centurion (first postwar tanks we've seen in use except for the Type 10 which all that has done was back over a Priceless Italian supercar), I cant see this being beyond reason.

Give Saunders an M103, some Pershings, Walker Bulldogs, and 76mm shermans. Pravda can get a T-10, T-54s or 44s, perhaps something like an SU-100. St. Gloriana would have a Chieftan, Conqueror, some centurions and a Tortoise, and...

Yeah, basically I want season 2 to basically be high tier War Thunder. Hell, let kuromorimine field a full lineup of nothing but Leopards firing heat FS (:argh:)

Something I also noted is that that only the movie enemy and kuromorimine have fielded turretless tank destroyers against Ooarai.

Darth Walrus posted:

This would be cool, and also Miho has experience with the Tiger H as you can see from the flashback where she got kicked out of the school for preventing a Panzer III crew from drowning.

Falken fucked around with this message at 11:38 on Jun 14, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

i want season 2 to involve a lot more kisses, as god intended