Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the Greatest Team?
Oorai
Pravda
St. Gloriana
Saunders
Anzio
Chi-Ha-Tan
Kuromorimine
Selection
Maginot
Jatkosota
View Results

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!
I'm reading Motto Love Love slowly because once I'm caught up there will be no more to read.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Luceid posted:

Motto Motto etc etc is extremely good and adds a boatload of character for everyone, even poor Shiho. in addition, it is also extremely cute, so it's basically perfect

On the other hand, it's not canon, but it is still fun.

Jintor
May 19, 2014

i saw a 6th volume in stores recently that hasn't been scanlated yet. I think the Finnish girls were the cover stars this time.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Xelkelvos posted:

On the other hand, it's not canon, but it is still fun.

It exists in a limbo where there's callbacks to/from it but at the same time it's not quite in line with everything else.

I figure it's a "mostly true" kinda thing. Broad strokes.

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!
They're having fun with Motto Love Love and it's mostly characterization, so if you really want to care about what is and isn't canon you can probably consider the characterization canon until it's directly contradicted by the anime?

Jintor
May 19, 2014

I don't know if I can take Darjaleen being brilliant at everything except cooking and social relations as non-canon

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Darth Walrus posted:

I dunno. That gun was certainly way more powerful than it should have been, but Christie suspension did genuinely allow tanks equipped with it to engage in some bizarre poo poo. Darjeeling's Churchill handling like something out of The Fast And The Furious stood out to me more.

You know, as far as I know, we never do see the driver in Darjeeling's tank...

Jintor posted:

I don't know if I can take Darjaleen being brilliant at everything except cooking and social relations as non-canon

Darjeeling is brilliant at one thing and that is not spilling tea.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009

Katreus posted:

All the 3rd years have the 2nd half of the term left so they have another half-year or so before entering University. The Japanese school year starts in April and runs to around July 20th before there's a summer break. The second half of the year runs from early September to late December.
Yeah, so a couple of months, as in they'll be in University in less than a year. Also, you're telling a Japanese person how the Japanese school year works.

Luceid posted:

i know we heard Anchovy's real name at some point, but are the ones for Kay, Darjeeling and Katyusha all made up? i don't remember seeing them anywhere despite looking around for them, specifically
I'm pretty sure they're all made up names and not their actual names. That is, except for Saunders where the main 3 have Japanese names that also work as English names like Naomi.

Magni posted:

And then there's Nina. Who's like barely taller than Katyusha and loader in the freakin' KV-2.

Do not ever get into an armwrestling contest with this dainty ~5 feet tall girl. She will destroy you.
Katyusha is 4'2" so saying Nina is ~5 feet tall is being generous :v:

The characters in this series in general are on the short side. Even Hana who I thought was on the tall side is like 5'3".

Zettace fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Jun 15, 2016

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

Buy some freaking medicine.

Desuwa posted:

They're having fun with Motto Love Love and it's mostly characterization, so if you really want to care about what is and isn't canon you can probably consider the characterization canon until it's directly contradicted by the anime?

they're done by the production committee and listed on the main site (unlike lovey-dovey panzer) so it isn't like its some random-rear end doujin or something. it's probably safe to assume your favourite character traits in there are accurate until proven otherwise, yeah

Luceid fucked around with this message at 11:14 on Jun 15, 2016

Katreus
May 31, 2011

You and I both know this is silly, but this is the biggest women's sporting event in the world. Let's try to make the most of it, shall we?

Jintor posted:

yeah, I'm slowing on buying physical stuff right now cos I'm moving soon, but once I'm settled I'm gonna go get Motto Motto whatever.

Does GuP have english manga out of anywhere, or will this contribute to my growing stack of manga-I-can-read-very-slowly?

IIRC, in addition to Motto Love Love, there's also the GUP manga (which, I think is it's own canon - it's noticeably a bit darker and some of the stuff has been retconned in the anime), Maginot, Ribbon Warrior, and Little Army 1 and 2.

Maginot supposedly shows off the eponymous Maginot school (French tanks) and its new Captain, Eclair, and features a pre-tournament exhibition match. It's a little weird for me - I like the glimpse of the school and its team, but I didn't like the match or art. Some people are more incompetent than they should be and some people are more competent than they are portrayed in the next match. Just ... uneven. It's been retconned in at least one detail already (re: Momo).

Ribbon Warrior, I haven't read yet, but it features a new protagonist and tankathlon, which is like unsanctioned tank battles (tanks must be 10 lbs or less?) between individual tanks.

Little Army 1 is the prequel. Little Army 2 is set in some indeterminate time after the tournament and features a character from LA1.

Bakanogami posted:

You know, as far as I know, we never do see the driver in Darjeeling's tank...

Isn't that Assam? It almost seems like she fulfills some dual driver / gunner role.

Also, my favorite part of Darjeeling in Motto Love Love is that she's a troll. Like starting the rumor that losers of matches with Ooarai have to do the Anglerfish dance.

On another note, more things that I think haven't been posted yet. Spoilers for the movie...

Battle Overview -

Kill Counts (Ooarai) -

And (living) family of certain characters:

Katreus fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Jun 15, 2016

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

lol at the one girl having a table breaking huge family

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Davincie posted:

lol at the one girl having a table breaking huge family

Someone should add Rosehip's family to the chart.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

Katreus posted:

Kill Counts (Ooarai) -

That Chi-Ha-Tan girl scoring two Pershing kills.

Also, LOL at Rosehip getting the Chaffee kill she was chasing after the whole match by wrecking her own tank.

Jintor
May 19, 2014

Katreus posted:

IIRC, in addition to Motto Love Love, there's also the GUP manga (which, I think is it's own canon - it's noticeably a bit darker and some of the stuff has been retconned in the anime), Maginot, Ribbon Warrior, and Little Army 1 and 2.

Maginot supposedly shows off the eponymous Maginot school (French tanks) and its new Captain, Eclair, and features a pre-tournament exhibition match. It's a little weird for me - I like the glimpse of the school and its team, but I didn't like the match or art. Some people are more incompetent than they should be and some people are more competent than they are portrayed in the next match. Just ... uneven. It's been retconned in at least one detail already (re: Momo).

Ribbon Warrior, I haven't read yet, but it features a new protagonist and tankathlon, which is like unsanctioned tank battles (tanks must be 10 lbs or less?) between individual tanks.

Little Army 1 is the prequel. Little Army 2 is set in some indeterminate time after the tournament and features a character from LA1.

Thanks for the deets, but I guess I was asking specifically if they're out in English yet/anyone has picked it up.

I could probably just google search this, but...

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.
If you get a chance, watch Operation: Kelly's Heroes as a companion piece to this good and fun anime

smenj
Oct 10, 2012

MrSlam posted:

If you get a chance, watch Operation: Kelly's Heroes as a companion piece to this good and fun anime

Can second this recommendation. Kelly's Heroes was great and I suppose has a similar kind of mood.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

MrSlam posted:

Incredibly fun movie, with Donald Sutherland and Don Rickles bringing some of the funniest moments in military film history. :allears:

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I don't need you. 60 feet of bridge I can pick up almost anywhere. Schmuck.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
https://twitter.com/ifujishinsen44/status/735122850277789699

gasp

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
finally got around to watching it. it was good. id forgotten how much id enjoyed the original season, and how inferior haifuri is in comparison

highlights were gamer team getting swole enough to 1-hand load shells, and moral team immediately turning into delinquents, and the polkadance, and the ferris wheel, and the no-music no-dialogue final fight

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Phobophilia posted:

finally got around to watching it. it was good. id forgotten how much id enjoyed the original season, and how inferior haifuri is in comparison

highlights were gamer team getting swole enough to 1-hand load shells, and moral team immediately turning into delinquents, and the polkadance, and the ferris wheel, and the no-music no-dialogue final fight

Also the fact that the Nizuzumi drift is now a standard maneuver for pretty much every tank in Oorai.

Hadaka Apron
Feb 12, 2015
Does anyone know what that weird sled that Katyusha sleeps in is called?

Wallrod
Sep 27, 2004
Stupid Baby Picture
It's an Aerosani, USSR used the RF-8/Gaz 98 in the war: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RF-8

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

So I heard in another thread that Finland helped fund the anime movie? Can I get a source on it if it's true?

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Xun posted:

So I heard in another thread that Finland helped fund the anime movie? Can I get a source on it if it's true?

I can't read Japanese, but Jaakko Lehtovirta, the Minister Councillor in Finland's embassy in Japan, was given space in the credits:

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
I remember a while back that Finland's Japanese embassy officially endorsed the Strike Witches movie so there is precedent.

Edit: It's still on the Embassy's website. http://www.finland.or.jp/Public/default.aspx?contentid=249175

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

You should all be thankful for us bogmen for giving you this masterpiece :colbert:

you can start by thanking me

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

HerraS posted:

You should all be thankful for us bogmen for giving you this masterpiece :colbert:

you can start by thanking me

Kiitos ystäväni! :v:

(I hope I got that right.)

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us
Somehow I stumbled into this thread, and the videos at the front sold me.

This anime is a lot more fun than I thought it would be, so thank you Goons.

P.S. I love the History Club.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Bell_ posted:

Somehow I stumbled into this thread, and the videos at the front sold me.

This anime is a lot more fun than I thought it would be, so thank you Goons.

P.S. I love the History Club.

Everyone loves the History Club

StuG lyfe

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Great now I realize I lost the better part of an hour just listening to GuP's military marches

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

T.G. Xarbala posted:

Great now I realize I lost the better part of an hour just listening to GuP's military marches

The Anzio songs were doubly awesome to me because I remember them all from choir

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

T.G. Xarbala posted:

You think that's bad, you should get the sound packs for World of Tanks and spend the better part of days going into battle to GuP music

Get the multicolor StuG skin, rush the StuG, and wonder why you're so well camouflaged while the flags are sticking up from the bush

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?
Was watching one of "Many Miles Away" Warthunder Tanks reviews... and I think the skin for this Maus and the music are *awfully* familiar.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Uyiya5e8BY

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

MJP posted:

You think that's bad, you should get the sound packs for World of Tanks and spend the better part of days going into battle to GuP music

Get the multicolor StuG skin, rush the StuG, and wonder why you're so well camouflaged while the flags are sticking up from the bush
Goddamn it. Downloading the game, now.

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Top: normal
Bottom: watching soccer

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Bakanogami posted:

Top: normal
Bottom: watching soccer

I love how that yob-ette Rosehip's basically unchanged :allears:

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

On a rewatch, Rosehip is one of my favorite characters. She's just so happy to be traveling fast and often faster than everyone else. Too bad she doesn't interact with Leopon at all.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Leopon would win in any event, though, assuming they have enough time to get their tank's VTOL capabilities online :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

CommissarMega posted:

Leopon would win in any event, though, assuming they have enough time to get their tank's VTOL capabilities online :v:

Well yeah, but Rosehip would put up a good fight and spill a lot of tea.