Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the Greatest Team?
Oorai
Pravda
St. Gloriana
Saunders
Anzio
Chi-Ha-Tan
Kuromorimine
Selection
Maginot
Jatkosota
View Results

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!
Watching/rewatching this and skimming the old thread is fun because no one expected this to be any good. Everyone was expecting more strike witches fanservice garbage, but they came around pretty quickly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

lol i just read the original thread first five pages and they are insanely full of aids

To be fair there was no reason to expect GuP to be anything except Strike Witches with planes replaced by tanks. Expectations were rightfully low, even if they turned out to be wrong.

People taking the old OP seriously though, that was funny.

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

Jintor posted:

Someone pointed this out in the original thread but seems like the further up you get in the tournament the more tanks your school needs just to be even viable... though they do have the flag tank thing for that exact purpose, I suppose

Yeah if not for flag tank rules Kuromorimine would win almost every single year just by default (which they do anyway). From what we've seen none of the other schools could match them in an annihilation round. I don't buy into the german tank myths that are popular but if you're in a sport where reliability, cost, and maintenance don't matter and you have a choice between a mix of Panthers, Tiger IIs, Ferdinands, and Jagdtigers and an equal number of M4 mediums or T-34s it's not a hard choice. If Kuromorimine had a team in line with Pravda's they'd have a single Tiger II, a Tiger I, and a ton of Pz IIIs and IVs.

I guess that's why high school matches use flag tank rules but university matches, where the funding is expected to be more even(?), use annihilation rules. Though even with flag tank rules Anzio, Maginot, and Chihatan never stood a realistic chance, while the Finns only get by because of super competent crews.

It does seem weird that the big industrial school, Saunders - whose gimmick is that they spend a lot and their entire school exists to service the senshado team - is so obviously behind Kuromorimine in spending. Maybe Kuromorimine doesn't have the same quantity of tanks in reserve but when high school matches only go up to 30 tanks that seems immaterial. Seems like Saunders should be fielding Pershings and Chaffees like the University team, or at least have them in reserve for the finals.

I wouldn't actually want to see the Finns too much, though, if we do get a season 2 because I'm not sure they'd mesh well. I just don't see how a team that's just so much better than everyone else but is being held down by a lack of equipment can fit in without making the other teams look incompetent or mean-spirited.

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

A season 2 might not need equipment upgrades for the existing tanks but Oarai would certainly pick up more tanks and crews for the selection tournament. With annihilation rules they just won't be competitive with the other high tier schools fielding so many more tanks.

I think if the story goes past that point then they'll be able to justify upgrades in universe with more funding to prepare them for the world championships.

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm reading Motto Love Love slowly because once I'm caught up there will be no more to read.

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

They're having fun with Motto Love Love and it's mostly characterization, so if you really want to care about what is and isn't canon you can probably consider the characterization canon until it's directly contradicted by the anime?

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

They left good sequel hooks in the movie for a national selection tournament leading up to the world tournament. They blew the all-star team idea in the movie so I'd certainly expect Oarai to get some transfer students and increased funding to crew a few new tanks. They stated in the movie that the coming tournaments would use annihilation rules and Oarai succeeding with their current lineup would just be too contrived.

Oarai doesn't have a single British or Russian tank, which really seems unusual, and both of those countries still have tons of quirky tanks (half of Oarai's lineup being lesser known tanks) that can shore up weaknesses in their lineup.

Ammat The Ankh posted:

Hope if there's a season 2 they include Maple High School. :canada:

A season 2 is guaranteed to include the French, most likely Maginot. They had some of the best early war tank designs and, honestly, I don't understand how they lost to Anzio when Anzio didn't have the P40 until the Oarai battle.

Other than Maginot I don't really see them introducing any new schools. They've already got schools covering all the other important tank producing nations, plus Japan and Finland, and adding new schools means adding ever more characters to the cast. Unfortunately for Maple I think there would be too much overlap with Saunders and St. Gloriana.

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

Lord Koth posted:

Unless of course you mean you STILL can't believe Maginot lost.

Yeah, this. I mean, schools like Anzio, Oarai, and Maginot are why the flag tank rules are used instead of annihilation, but it's hard to reconcile Eclair from the Maginot manga with someone who gets outmaneuvered by a school with only three tanks that she actually needs to worry about.

e: Also honestly hard to reconcile OVA Anzio with a school that could pull that off. Anchovy is a good commander and all but the rest of the Anzio students seem like they'd have trouble with the implementation of her plan. Though I gather there's a manga Anzio somewhere that's much more competent.

Desuwa fucked around with this message at 10:28 on Jul 17, 2016

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

Zettace posted:

Maybe, but does that mean they went all the way to the mainland to borrow the Super Galaxy?

It's a plane and they're on an oversized aircraft carrier. I imagine they figured something out.

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

Zettace posted:

Well, it's the University's plane so they had to go get it in the first first place. I mean the University is not going to store it's plane on the Highschool boat right?

Yeah, but the university is going to store its university students around the same place as it stores its planes.

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

CommissarMega posted:

Unironically quoting. Seriously, if the GuP guys have any kind of social or commercial savvy, we should see references to this in both the spinoff manga and merch.

Saki's entire character was based on an animation error. I think we'll get at least some nods.

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

Kyte posted:

Wait what's this about.

Maybe I'm mistaken because it's not mentioned on the wiki but I swore that in one of her first appearances her eyes were mistakenly focused off into space. I was pretty confident about it though. I'll have to check tonight to see if I'm completely off base or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

The title of GuP makes it an easy target for sensationalist crap like this, and most people won't and will never watch it anyway.

There was a new strike witches recently and that would be a much better show to get righteously indignant over.