Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the Greatest Team?
Oorai
Pravda
St. Gloriana
Saunders
Anzio
Chi-Ha-Tan
Kuromorimine
Selection
Maginot
Jatkosota
View Results

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I dunno. That gun was certainly way more powerful than it should have been, but Christie suspension did genuinely allow tanks equipped with it to engage in some bizarre poo poo. Darjeeling's Churchill handling like something out of The Fast And The Furious stood out to me more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Gamerofthegame posted:

everyone's tanks handled like drift kings in the movie

to the point I am legit surprised there wasn't an akira slide

They did usually differentiate between the big, barely-mobile monsters like the KV-2 and T95 and everything else, though, and the Churchill should probably have fallen into that category. Like, I'm perfectly fine with it as an indication of just how badass Darjeeling and her crew are that they can make a glorified bunker like a Churchill dance like that (because anyone with an undefeated streak against Oarai is totes badass), it's just worth remarking that it's some really egregious rule-of-cool stuff that's easily on-par with what the Finns get up to, despite not being quite as flashy and obvious.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Gamerofthegame posted:

to be fair the only three good teams seem to be britain russia and literally hitler

The bar isn't exactly high.

America seems solidly OK, if nothing special. And then there's the Finns.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
If there is ever an S2, I wonder if we'll see Oarai trading up some of their weaponry? I mean, yes, their current tanks are really iconic and heavily-marketed, but any series based around cool toys eventually gives its cast new cool toys to play with. Maybe Maho will give Miho her old Black Forest Tiger back after the Panzer IV gets totalled, or something?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Falken posted:

Lets go into super insane territory. I mean if the (What the hell were they in the movie?) Senshadou United Nations had a loving T28 and a Centurion (first postwar tanks we've seen in use except for the Type 10 which all that has done was back over a Priceless Italian supercar), I cant see this being beyond reason.

Give Saunders an M103, some Pershings, Walker Bulldogs, and 76mm shermans. Pravda can get a T-10, T-54s or 44s, perhaps something like an SU-100. St. Gloriana would have a Chieftan, Conqueror, some centurions and a Tortoise, and...

Yeah, basically I want season 2 to basically be high tier War Thunder. Hell, let kuromorimine field a full lineup of nothing but Leopards firing heat FS (:argh:)

Something I also noted is that that only the movie enemy and kuromorimine have fielded turretless tank destroyers against Ooarai.

This would be cool, and also Miho has experience with the Tiger H as you can see from the flashback where she got kicked out of the school for preventing a Panzer III crew from drowning.

That's the specific Tiger I meant. Apparently, it hasn't been seen in the school's lineup since Miho left, so odds are Maho's saving it for her sister.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Falken posted:

Clearly what needs to happen is Kuromorimine donates the Tiger and maybe a Jagdpanzer IV, Saunders a couple Shermans, St. Gloriana a Crusader III and Maltida, and Pravda a couple T34s.

Nah, apart from the main characters' solid all-rounder (and the StuG, I guess), Oarai's thing seems to be using stranger, quirkier, and more obscure tanks. The Engineering Club's Tiger P seems more like the sort of thing we can expect in their upgraded lineup. Maybe the gamers would get a Chi-Ri or - horror of horrors - an O-I?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Bloody Pom posted:

If S2 does happen then Saunders needs to field an M18. And Rose Hip needs an upgrade to a Cromwell or a Comet.

Basically S2 should be all about :rice: tanks.

If we're talking Glorianna, I want to see them get that Tortoise they were fantasising about. And for Darjeeling to upgrade to a (ludicrously nimble) Black Prince.

Also, at least one TOG. Preferably multiple. :getin:

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Bloody Pom posted:

I think that the plot armor is thick enough for that to be waived honestly.

Give me Pravda driving around in GAZ trucks hosing tanks with AA guns :ussr:

It's a specific rule of the sport. Remember the outrage over that giant loving artillery piece in the movie?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Gamerofthegame posted:

Annihilation is just for the world tournament stuff.

ps; a thought. All the best scenes of the movie either directly featured or involved the italians. coincidence???

I don't remember them having a major presence in the Ferris wheel scene.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Many Miles Away?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Xelkelvos posted:

Saunders doesn't have quite as interesting or comedic a group. Anzio, St. Gloriana and Pravda all have really quirky members so it's easier to write material for them.

They've got brash Kay, creepy-cool Naomi, and the endearingly awful Alisa. That's material to work off.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Wow, looks like the George Washington really shrunk in the wash.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

ArchangeI posted:

An Oorai with tanks that are somehow even worse. They might be owning pretty hard at tankathon, though.

Hey, let's not go nuts here. They got Shermans and Hellcats through the US Military Assistance Program and smuggling through Burma before the end of the war, so they would probably be able to muster a serviceable core to their team even if the secondary tanks were mostly weird and awful. A monster team like Black Forest would wipe the floor with them, but they could hand Chi-Ha-Tan and Anzio their asses, give early Oarai a run for their money, and maybe even put a dent in Saunders or Pravda before being steamrolled, especially if the nature of the Chinese Civil War/Sino-Japanese War means the writers decide to make them asymmetrical warfare experts.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Det_no posted:

Remembered I hadn't watched the movie, was pretty good! Longer than I expected too; shame most of the "bad" guys were generic, faceless pershing users.

Also what's up with Mika? Did I just forget her? She just kinda appears all cryptic and poo poo then joins the main characters for the rear end kicking complete with music number. Was cool but... what.

Lastly I'm still looking for more people to play the GuP wargame/card game thing. If you want some casual games add http://steamcommunity.com/id/detrian on Steam. You just need tabletop simulator.

The Finns being total inexplicable weirdos who just turned up to do strange poo poo and kick rear end in the most ridiculous tank was the joke, yes.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Zettace posted:

If you listen carefully, Mika and the Finnish school are brought up in the Anzio OVA. They're considered another dark horse like Ooarai and they almost beat a Kuromonime with both Miho and Maho before the main series takes place. They also steal poo poo from the Russian team :v:

Yes, but it's a tiny passing reference. For all intents and purposes, they're just the mysterious badass weirdo team.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Bear in mind that we're only hearing one side of the story here. One side of the story that is particularly appealing to a certain kind of Internet nerd, who are already harassing the journalist in question.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I watched the actual documentary on the BBC website (:nms:courtesy link:nms:), and (a) the reporter dug up pretty wall-to-wall horrific poo poo that's indefensible even if she engaged in selective editing and accentuating the negative (which she may have done, but I don't want to rush to any judgments), and (b) Nogami never shows up in it, and neither does Girls und Panzer, so how the interview actually went down will likely remain a mystery.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Was the ARL 44 actually a decent tank? It’s pretty unimpressive in WOT.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

galagazombie posted:

Yeah, it's not like they really have different line-ups, any tanks BC has that aren't already Maginot tanks are covered by other schools. They seem pretty redundant.

That said, tank overlap is hardly new in GUP. Oarai’s tanks are from all over the place.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I would assume that the rematch against St. Gloriana will be where Darjeeling finally whips out that Tortoise she's kept talking about.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Interesting that we've basically got two of the same kind of tactical challenge for Oarai back to back. I figure Continuation will be the final exam for what they learned against Chi-Ha-Tan.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Nate RFB posted:

St. Gloriana is the popular pick since all of das Finale has been Oarai fighting schools they didn't in the first tournament and they have yet to actually ever beat them so it'd be a good bookend.

Yes, but Erika got some serious buildup this episode as an all-new leader incorporating Oarai-style lunacy into Kuromorimine combat doctrine, and that seems like a really obvious place to take the final confrontation (seeing as it's all about passing on legacies to the new generation). St. Gloriana is superb but orthodox and static, and that feels like an obvious weakness for them against Erika's innovation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
The fact that nobody's even suggested giving Rosehip a Cromwell shows just how terminally stuck in their ways St. Gloriana are.