Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

all conference room av systems are hot garbage unless they cost large amounts of :10bux: and even then that just lowers the temperature of the garbage. agreed?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Thanks Ants posted:

all conference room av systems are hot garbage unless they cost large amounts of :10bux: and even then that just lowers the temperature of the garbage. agreed?

depends on the office, ad agencies usually have at least one super kickass system for screening commercials to clients

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Thanks Ants posted:

:agreed:

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

qirex posted:

depends on the office, ad agencies usually have at least one super kickass system for screening commercials to clients

ive seen really nicely done screening rooms that are more like private cinemas, but video conferencing has always been poo poo-tier unless you're meeting between locations of the same company, have telepresence rooms and control the wan. rooms set up to allow people to video chat with external users always seem to end with the person just using their laptop camera and the kit being sold on ebay a couple of years later for 5% of the purchase price.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Thanks Ants posted:

audio only systems usually work ok

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

We had one go in that the designer spec some poo poo that uses an honest to god telephone line. So not only does it sound like rear end but they were shocked the conference room could only "conference" one person at a time! Oops!

FormatAmerica
Jun 3, 2005
Grimey Drawer
a gem from twitter:

https://twitter.com/RealTinehNimjeh/status/900397207236431873

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

join the conference by phone because you struggle to pick the headset audio when joining using the client, put your call on hold rather than mute

:discourse:

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
People who speakerphone in a bullpen should be loving flayed.

I don't even dislike the guy, particularly. But get some goddamn headphones.

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe

Schadenboner posted:

People who speakerphone should be loving flayed.

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice
every cc where my director sits in

*crackle crackle clack-clack-clack horn honks in distance* CAN YOU ALL SPEAK UP I CANT HEAR ANYONE *clackey clack windows error sound*

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

"We have this notion that if you're poor, you cannot do it. Poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids."

As the audience reluctantly began to applaud during the silence, Biden tried to fix his remarks.

"Wealthy kids, black kids, Asian kids -- no, I really mean it." Biden said.

KoRMaK posted:

somebody is spray paiting their handle, ubuntu, around town and last time I saw it I thought of how I would get this quote into a stencil sprayed next to it

Fits nicely onto legal paper

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

there is no excuse for speakerphoning outside of a conference room, and even then its unlikely that sitting around a phone is helping with the task at hand. if you need to be hands-free then use a headset.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Thanks Ants posted:

there is no excuse for speakerphoning outside of a conference room, and even then its unlikely that sitting around a phone is helping with the task at hand. if you need to be hands-free then use a headset.
how do you convince your boss of this

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Thanks Ants posted:

I used to sit in an area where multiple middle managers would all go on speaker phone at the same time to the same meeting all while sitting in the same open office area.

No, they couldn't be bothered to use the empty conference room right next to them, that would prevent the rest of us having to hear someone speak into their phone, then hear it again from everyone else's phone at slightly different times based on personal latency.

Good times.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

anthonypants posted:

how do you convince your boss of this

that an impossible task because my boss values his contribution to the company by how many hours a week of other people's time he takes up

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Thanks Ants posted:

that an impossible task because my boss values his contribution to the company by how many hours a week of other people's time he takes up
:(:hf::(

taco_fox
Dec 14, 2005

I have to attend multiple pointless conference calls per week with people all over the world and I've never had a problem with s4b

ty satya

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
The "gently caress you" implied by a coworker (and my director in from out of town) taking a conference call on speakerphone in our bullpen never ceases to impress me.

And they've started inviting the guy (a third shifter I take over for in the morning) to a daily huddle on a roll-out! :iamafag:

:yotj: soon I loving hope...

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
People discussing whether or not they can hear each-other is, by far, my favorite thing to listen to. Especially when it's in a bullpen, especially especially over speakerphone.

:smithicide:

Schadenboner fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Sep 20, 2017

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

To check that the room can hear me I just unmute and fake a light cough while watching the sound indicator

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Progressive JPEG posted:

To check that the room can hear me I just unmute and fake a light cough while watching the sound indicator

I usually do a quiet "ahem" thing right after I join, right before I mute.

Iridium
Apr 4, 2002

Wretched Harp
i always carefully check my mute before swearing at people who are being boring at me.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Iridium posted:

i always carefully check my mute before swearing at people who are being boring at me.

:yossame:

mod saas
May 4, 2004

Grimey Drawer
lol just lol if you're not simultaneously muted in the bridge, phone, and headset

AtomD
May 3, 2009

Fun Shoe
next week at microsoft ignite they might tell people who spent a shitton of money and time investing in skype for business infrastructure just how they can gently caress off to teams

AtomD
May 3, 2009

Fun Shoe
although if you've invested in on-prem sfb you've hosed yourself already

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
i like to swig carbonated water right from the bottle and belch loudly when i get on a call

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

mod saas posted:

lol just lol if you're not simultaneously muted in the bridge, phone, and headset

this but forget that you joined the emeeting with your laptop and that automatically joined the call, too

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Cocoa Crispies posted:

i like to swig carbonated water right from the bottle and belch loudly when i get on a call

Same, but descriptive narration of testicular self-exam?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

never forget

https://twitter.com/bea_ker/status/700161865192615936?lang=en

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ruCsYGL3QlY

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

I keep forgetting the mayor was played by Tony Soprano's mum

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

AtomD posted:

although if you've invested in on-prem sfb you've hosed yourself already

lol we are fully lubed :shepicide:

cheque_some
Dec 6, 2006
The Wizard of Menlo Park
one guy at my office that runs a weekly meeting will always have the webex window up on the screen shrunken to like 25% of the screen area so we can barely see everyone else on the call. the screen is 25% video of the other people on the call, and 75% windows desktop background.

idk why

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

[quote="“cheque_some”" post="“476634547”"]
one guy at my office that runs a weekly meeting will always have the webex window up on the screen shrunken to like 25% of the screen area so we can barely see everyone else on the call. the screen is 25% video of the other people on the call, and 75% windows desktop background.

idk why
[/quote]

today our spreadsheet screeshare was like 80% size and i was distracted the whole time trying to figure out of the actresses had a small screen or if it was smaller for a reason

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Today CIsco Jabber has silently installed an extension into my chome.

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

[quote="“~Coxy”" post="“476643156”"]
Today CIsco Jabber has silently installed an extension into my chome.
[/quote]

the subtle knife strikes best -paul muaddib

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Death to silent installs. gently caress off forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iridium
Apr 4, 2002

Wretched Harp
i got press-ganged into being a project manager for one of our annual things a month ago (because yet another PM has quit)

i protest this a great deal because it is loving bullshit that i get to be the garbage dump just cuz they can't manage to keep a PM for more than 18 months, but in the interim

1- all of my meetings are skype only because i'm not so insecure as to need to have everyone in the room with me
2- none of them have been a clusterfuck at all
3- none of my weekly status meetings, past the first one where we set everything up, have taken more than 15 minutes.
4- we are on time and without complications

but tragically this means they're likely to try this more often so i need to find some creative ways to gently caress it up hardcore.

• Locked thread