Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
haha you idiot dont do a good job on it they will just keep using you

please exercise learned helplessness until they give the project to someone else

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FormatAmerica
Jun 3, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Iridium posted:

i got press-ganged into being a project manager for one of our annual things a month ago (because yet another PM has quit)

i protest this a great deal because it is loving bullshit that i get to be the garbage dump just cuz they can't manage to keep a PM for more than 18 months, but in the interim

1- all of my meetings are skype only because i'm not so insecure as to need to have everyone in the room with me
2- none of them have been a clusterfuck at all
3- none of my weekly status meetings, past the first one where we set everything up, have taken more than 15 minutes.
4- we are on time and without complications

but tragically this means they're likely to try this more often so i need to find some creative ways to gently caress it up hardcore.

Haha dude you're so hosed, have fun doing that forever.

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
do PMs make more figgies than developers?

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Corla Plankun posted:

do PMs make more figgies than developers?

emphatically no

product managers on the other hand do but that's a whole different job and you usually need an mba [even though lots of orgs saddle them with project management duties as well]

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Mad Wack posted:

haha you idiot dont do a good job on it they will just keep using you

please exercise learned helplessness until they give the project to someone else

ah, i see youve heard of my powerpoint skills

Clockwerk
Apr 6, 2005

I think the overall average is lower for project managers than devs, but the ceiling may be higher

pms also tend to get poo poo on wayyy more than individual developers, often due to mgmt giving impossible or contradictory requirements and timeframes. I don't think it would make sense to go the pm direction unless you can't hack it as a developer or they're preemptively backing up a truckload of figgies

Clockwerk fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Oct 5, 2017

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax
PM is a thankless role because you have to attend all the meetings with executives who demand things of you, and then you have to get a team of developers and testers to build those things, but the developers and testers don't report to you and really couldn't care less about your metrics graphs. a good PM is great to have but they're few and far between, all but the most masochistic people end up switching to other roles

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

speaking of PMs, mine is set on meeting for everything and they actively discourage email chains to resolve issues. their meetings frequently run over by 30 minutes and they use only offline docs for planning. we have bug reporting tools but they insist on sharepoint because ??? which makes every call run over because of course their system is slow

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

JewKiller 3000 posted:

a good PM is great to have but they're few and far between, all but the most masochistic people end up switching to other roles

one awesome PM I worked with kept dept hopping and I wish I could have followed her because I never saw someone crack heads and get things on track so well

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

a good pm is so good :negative:

mod saas
May 4, 2004

Grimey Drawer
i am on three projects with the worst pm i've known. he's obviously being coached by more senior people but it isn't working.

he was stuck in a prior meeting once and so joined a call about 5 minutes late.

*beDEEP* ^ 15 as we all connect at once

a teammate of his says "let's do a roll call since there's so many of us"

he says "got it.

:grin: OKAY WHO'S HERE?"

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Dial into bridge

"Please enter your meeting I.D."

*beep boop beee dung dong boop*

"You did not enter any numbers"

lol

AtomD
May 3, 2009

Fun Shoe

AtomD posted:

next week at microsoft ignite they might tell people who spent a shitton of money and time investing in skype for business infrastructure just how they can gently caress off to teams

this was good btw they said sfb usage doubled yoy then explained how they plan to kill it

anyone had to use that polycom clariti poo poo before?

Glans Dillzig
Nov 23, 2011

:justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost:

knickerbocker expert
good lord i'm on a troubleshooting call (loving owned) and it's rapidly devolving into The Nightmare Telecon

Glans Dillzig
Nov 23, 2011

:justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost:

knickerbocker expert
featuring:
BOOP BEEP every 10 seconds, causing the sitrep to be started over
kid in the background yelling "WHO IS THAT"
poor audio quality
re-interpretation of the problem every 15 seconds
people talking past each other

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

hosting a webex and not having any option for audio other than pstn dial-in

:negative:

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Just lol if you don't pretend you got randomly disconnected from calls that suck.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

i dropped out after about six minutes of the host asking people to mute themselves

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Thanks Ants posted:

i dropped out after about six minutes of the host asking people to mute themselves

How loving hard is it to set "Mute Entry/Exit Sounds" and "Mute On Entry"?

WebEx call hosting is a serious responsibility. Step the gently caress up.

:cmon:

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

i imagine the bar for not loving up the defaults and the bar for being able to use a usb headset are the same height

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Thanks Ants posted:

hosting a webex and not having any option for audio other than pstn dial-in

:negative:

some of the fogeys here have taken to putting a large DO NOT JOIN THE MEETING AUDIO in their meeting invites, even though it works completely fine and they never notice people using it anyway

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
if they don't start the webex by logging in as the presenter (either thru the client or phone pin) then people cant get in from the desktop client which means no computer audio. webex allows you to dial into the pstn side of the bridge without the presenter starting it so that's what those old people do.

then you get the situation where everyone is waiting for the meeting to start on their clients and the old person gets all huffy because the phone is good enough and he doesn't understand why people cant just do that.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
but in the end it doesn't matter because the webex computer audio is trash full of super aggressive disconnection poo poo that will gently caress you up if you're too quiet or mute using something other than the webex client mute.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Shaggar posted:

if they don't start the webex by logging in as the presenter (either thru the client or phone pin) then people cant get in from the desktop client which means no computer audio. webex allows you to dial into the pstn side of the bridge without the presenter starting it so that's what those old people do.

then you get the situation where everyone is waiting for the meeting to start on their clients and the old person gets all huffy because the phone is good enough and he doesn't understand why people cant just do that.

a) it's not webex

b) that's not how it works, if the presenter wants to share screen (they always do in these calls) i think they have to start the meeting audio too. if they have to start it manually that's even more laughable because they're consciously starting something they don't want anyone to use

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
oh you're talking about the ones who use their own 3rd party bridge because its the one that has the same pin every time.

if the presenter joins in webex or GoToMeeting via the client everything is started so those should work.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Shaggar posted:

oh you're talking about the ones who use their own 3rd party bridge because its the one that has the same pin every time.

if the presenter joins in webex or GoToMeeting via the client everything is started so those should work.

no, i mean our (current) preferred conference system is not webex. has nothing to do with webex.

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

never ever buy anything made by avaya.

that is all

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.

NEED MORE MILK posted:

never ever buy anything made by avaya.

that is all

Avaya has been working to make this a reality for themselves for a while now.

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
We replaced all our old Nortel phones with Avaya stuff about a year ago. I think my favourite glitch with them is when you pick up the reciever and the call never gets connected, the phone just keeps on ringing.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

i dont see why anybody could make even the most cursory of glances at the avaya product lineup in the last five years and determine that it's worth spending money on. i have their lovely softphone app on my iphone and it uses the pre-ios7 ui design and doesnt support callkit so it just constantly keeps a connection alive, loving the battery.

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

the answer is incompetence

like im not even on the IT side of things but im prob gonna write up a proposal and do a fuckload of research and try and get us moved over to freepbx or something.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

if you write a proposal to move phone provider then make it a proposal to give somebody else money to deal with it. gently caress dealing with phones.

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

thats what we did 3 years ago and they pushed avaya on us (i was not employed here at the time)

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

unless its your job then just keep quiet about it

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
we use a hosted mitel system and i would not recommend it

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

we use a pile of ancient but reliable cisco phones, some tp ones nobody uses the camera on, and a mix of jabber and proper tps

i honestly couldnt care less because i use my cell to dial in and use a not lovely headset and walk away from my desk when the call is boring (always) and stretch my legs

oh but we use skype4biz so our screenshares are wet diarrhea on a soft tortilla

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

i never thought id say this but adobe connect is so good by comparison

Glans Dillzig
Nov 23, 2011

knickerbocker expert

Agile Vector posted:

i never thought id say this but adobe connect is so good by comparison

The Forbidden Phrase...

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Current Cisco phones cannot transfer calls from non-primary lines if the handset is picked up before the line is selected. Also picking up the handset will answer the non primary line. 👍

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iridium
Apr 4, 2002

Wretched Harp
call into meeting
loudly interrupt to shout your own name
stay off mute while you rearrange literally everything in your office to be within 6 centimeters of your speakerphone

• Locked thread