Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
it was basiacly the reverse of Massive JRPG tower with final boss at the top of it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

it would be awesome if at the top of the tower there was a randomized loot crate and motherfucking claptrap doing the claptrap dubstep :boom:

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

In Training posted:

It's cool that the poison area was a rehash of blighttown followed by a big cave with nothing in it and then a boss from demons souls
Black Gulch is my least favorite area so far in any Souls game.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

i fuckng hate black gulch, its terrible aside from the one room that's kind of cool

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

After you smash your way through two million stupid statues, they stick a petrified guy in front of the bonfire, so if you don't have a Fragrant Branch of Yore you'd have to run back past the million statues if you want to re-fight the boss. Fortunately, the boss is really easy.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

FactsAreUseless posted:

After you smash your way through two million stupid statues, they stick a petrified guy in front of the bonfire, so if you don't have a Fragrant Branch of Yore you'd have to run back past the million statues if you want to re-fight the boss. Fortunately, the boss is really easy.

They added that statue in sotfs

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002
fragrant branches of yore are among the worst things ever put in a game

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

HolePisser1982 posted:

fragrant branches of yore are among the worst things ever put in a game

Idk why they doubled down on that mechanic of all things considered most of the other changes for sotfs were pretty good

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

its loving retarded tht sotfs doubled down on them so hard, they're just a completely garbage mechanism. i still mostly thnk ds2's ok but jesus christ do some parts of it suck

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

In Training posted:

They added that statue in sotfs

I never made it that far in SOTFS but that's really hosed up lol. I remember how grateful I was of that bonfire in vanilla

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

a lot of changes in sotfs were good but theres a bunch of dumb gotchas that they threw in too, thats one of them

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I don't like some of the dark phantoms either. It still seemed better than vanilla

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

I didn't think it was a bad mechanic in DS2 because it was an interesting way to gate stuff and allow for some choice in where you progress and give you the opportunity for some cool sequence breaks. Also when you unpetrify someone and end up getting a cool new NPC it's pretty rewarding. gently caress SOTFS tho where you're just using them on random ungrateful enemies who happen to be blocking your way and decide to kick your rear end as soon as you rescue them

conceitedguy
Nov 8, 2013

most of the changes are awful. like they doubled the amount of exploding zombies in the dragon aerie area, which makes it insanely annoying, but they also added a zipline that skips over the entire area. what the hell is the point? uh, not that the original game wasn't already awful.

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002
my stance is that SOTFS can suck my rear end

Retarded_Clown_
Feb 18, 2012

WeaponGradeSadness posted:

Surge looks pretty cool right now while Lords of the Fallen looked like a mediocre copycat from day one, so I'm willing to give them another chance.

Dude I love Surge it needs to come back. Best drink ever.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

theres basically no reason to play ds2 now that 3s out other than completion's sake, theyre similar in a lot of ways but 3 does everything two does better

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002
i really liked DS2's themes. i wish i could like playing it but its probably not gonna happen

A CRUNK BIRD
Sep 29, 2004
I'm playing dark souls now so I'm getting the impression I should just skip dark souls 2

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Fungah! posted:

theres basically no reason to play ds2 now that 3s out other than completion's sake, theyre similar in a lot of ways but 3 does everything two does better

My roommate who's never played a souls game before and honestly isn't much of a gamer in general just made it to Soul of Cinder and has insisted on soloing every boss and I'm very happy for him ...... He wants to play DS2 next but I'm probably gonna heavily urge him to do Bloodborne instead, I think DS2 is gonna feel like a step backwards in every way

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Retarded_Clown_ posted:

Dude I love Surge it needs to come back. Best drink ever.

http://www.surge.com/

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

A CRUNK BIRD posted:

I'm playing dark souls now so I'm getting the impression I should just skip dark souls 2
I liked it, but it's a step back from DS1. It feels like a refinement of Demon's Souls, although Demon's is generally considered better.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

A CRUNK BIRD posted:

Nah I know what I just posted above but you really shouldn't. I'm really glad I played it and beat it once but unlike Dark Souls 1/3/Bloodborne I had no inclination to beat it 3-4 times. Still worth playing and has cool concepts (like a couple of the multiplayer covenants) that are some of my favorite implementations in the series . also by the time the DLC came out I didn't have a PS3 anymore but apparently the areas in the expansions are very good and on par with some of the best poo poo in Dark Souls/DS3

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

its still ok, just imo the weakst in the series. defintely give it a shot atl east

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

goferchan posted:

Nah I know what I just posted above but you really shouldn't. I'm really glad I played it and beat it once but unlike Dark Souls 1/3/Bloodborne I had no inclination to beat it 3-4 times. Still worth playing and has cool concepts (like a couple of the multiplayer covenants) that are some of my favorite implementations in the series . also by the time the DLC came out I didn't have a PS3 anymore but apparently the areas in the expansions are very good and on par with some of the best poo poo in Dark Souls/DS3

I know I bring this up a lot but it's always worth mentioning that the ds2 DLC was based heavily on partially completed cut content from demons souls

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

bbeatng fume knight with ap air of bone fists is still top 5 souls momentsever for me, it took like 150 tries

Boomstick Quaid
Jan 28, 2009
Bring back the bonefists. I don't care if it takes till the mythical third dlc

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

"Sex and Dark Souls are like pizza, even when it's bad it still pretty good"
- Goku

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.
Dark Souls 2 is trash honestly and the yore branches is the single most retarded pointlessly frustrating game mechanic ever designed

conceitedguy
Nov 8, 2013

A CRUNK BIRD posted:

I would say you should certainly skip it. There's no point, it's just a miserable experience all round unless you are really into the online for whatever reason, or you really just want to grind enemies to collect a billion armor sets.

A CRUNK BIRD
Sep 29, 2004

rediscover posted:

Dark Souls 2 is trash honestly and the yore branches is the single most retarded pointlessly frustrating game mechanic ever designed

Tell me moar about it

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

there was a reason to play it when DS3 didnt exist but you needed to scratch the souls itch, but now you can just play ds3. it is made by the same team, who learned from all their mistakes on 2. the only good thing about it is the pvp scene

Bobby The Rookie
Jun 2, 2005

The DLC areas are all very deece and worth playing, if nothing else.

conceitedguy
Nov 8, 2013

Bobby The Rookie posted:

The DLC areas are all very deece and worth playing, if nothing else.

I guess the first part of the poison DLC is pretty okay, but the fire towers is nonsensical rubbish and I never heard much good of the ice one, and all of them are full of boring samey enemies.

Bobby The Rookie
Jun 2, 2005

I actually like the ice one the best of the three, it has the best shortcuts and sense of progression through the area- I think it's closest to 3's level design. But yeah, the lazyt copy paste generic enemies are fuckfail for sure.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

fuckfail p. deece rubbish

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The fire towers are awesome

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

In Training posted:

The fire towers are awesome

i loved the brumetower DLC and the massive club dudes with lava shooting out of their shoulders, the extremely creepy fire lady statues that whisper to you throughout the souls take on a majoras mask dungeon

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

i likd brume tower nd eleum loyce, didnt finish shulva but thtas because i just wanted to finish the fuckin game at that point. the boss of eleum was fuckin badass, really cool setpiece

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Never played the DLC when I did my playthrough on PS3, I own SotFS on PS4 now but I can't be arsed to play it when DS3 exists

• Locked thread