Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Zephro posted:

Yeah, they aren't kidding when they say Dwarfs get an easy start. The Empire will be your friend and will buffer you from Skaeling and Varg. The VCs are usually hostile but Zhufbar controls the pass between Sylvania and the mountains so they can't usually do anything to you. So you pretty much only have to worry about exterminating the Greenskins. You can conquer literally everything south of Karaz-a-Karak, including all the Badlands, and then you've got map edges on your south and east flank, humans to the west and north (who will spam you with alliance offers as soon as Archaeon shows up), and Black Fire Pass as a chokepoint in case Archaeon and friends make it that far south.

They're a good first-choice playthrough, I think. Just remember to rush Mount Gunbad.

These advantages are all true, but you definitely have some problems that other factions don't need to deal with. You have to face the Greenskin factions in numbers no one else ever has to deal with almost immediately; Grimgor will show up almost like clockwork by turn 10-12, and often he has a waaagh with him, meaning a new player is forced almost immediately into fighting against 2:1 odds or more. Strategically, you can't really choke point against greenskins because they'll just burrow under the loving mountains to stab you in the belly. Meanwhile the Empire and VCs have a super leisurely time for the first 20-30 turns beating up on lovely rebels and fractious Imperial factions that can't really fight back while also having tons of juicy nearby targets to break open like piggy banks.

I would say the easiest start is VC because Mannfred and his Varghulf are basically autowin buttons and Raise Dead forgives any and all tactical and strategic mistakes besides running out of money. Empire is a little harder than VC, Dwarfs are a little harder than that, and Chaos requires some basic knowledge(spawn a new horde immediately, rush growth skills) to even function. Greenskins are definitely the hardest start because it's the only start that has you at war with a ton of factions that are all fielding drastically superior troops to you at the start.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Jun 8, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Conot posted:

Will give it a shot. Should I play it on Ultra like the description says or is it better suited to Normal to give that "Arcane Might" feeling?

I've played this mod on Ultra and even on Ultra the spells are pretty devastating. An overcasted Burning Head will rip half an army apart if the vortex scatter favors you.

It's a fun mod and does a lot to make mages feel powerful and unique, and it also buffs a lot of the mediocre/bad hero artifacts and skills to be more exciting. Gelt actually doesn't feel like a waste of a LL spot in this mod because the Lore of Metal owns bones! I haven't tried Kemmler in it to see if it makes him not crap.

I haven't really played it past the first 50-60 turns though so I don't know if it presents a problem re: mage stacking ruining battles or something.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Rakthar posted:

3. VC. So people keep suggesting them and I'm a little bit confused. No artillery, so sieges are always the hard way. No ranged units. Flyers are awesome but just a touch fiddly in terms of how to use. Corruption requires work from the building side and agent side, and when you're done applying it you just stop taking penalties. Cities with insufficient corruption take a -8 morale penalty so conquering into uncorrupted / poorly corrupted lands is real tough. Your territory is the balkans of the map and is the crossroads for everyone with some chokepoints dumping armies right into your territory. You have no movement modes other than normal which means your flying undead counts will have to patiently wait a turn to build a raft to ford the river so they can kill an invading army. This pissed me off, a lot. Anywhere you go without corruption you take attrition. During sieges you will typically be taking attrition. Raise dead is bugged for about 50% of players and only displays 0 corpses no matter what happened. Magic is very binary with things like Soul Leech / Fate of Bjuna being amazing and the rest lovely. Necromancers are terrible but vamps are great. As VC you will want to secure your starting two provinces then figure out which human factions to expand against until chaos comes. You can trade, but in a fun quirk nobody wants to trade with you.

Sieges with VC generally boil down to "swamp the walls with infinite chaff that you don't care whether it lives or dies in the slightest before sending your vampire(s) in to mop up the exhausted survivors" in the early game. By mid game you've transitioned to "send your Royal Air Force onto and over the walls to slaughter all of their missile troops while your monsters bash down their front gate 2000x faster than a battering ram could ever hope to and you eat everyone inside". I don't really consider either of those the hard way. Corruption attrition is fiddly until you realize that you don't take attrition while in raiding stance and you don't take attrition while you're actively sieging a city, which basically means you raid your way across uncorrupted territory until you capture a town and then the area doesn't attrition you anymore.

I can't speak for Raise Dead being bugged because it doesn't happen to me, but when it's working it's hands down the most bonkers crazy broken ability in the entire game. You can snap your fingers and poo poo out an entire 20 stack of units ranging from zombies to terrorgheists in one turn, instantly, in enemy territory, and the units will be able to move and attack that turn. All it takes is a shitload of bodies in a province, and the northern Imperial provinces tend to turn into gigantic corpse wagons when Chaos hits because of all the fighting between the invaders and the northern Imperial provinces. You can quite literally drown the Storm of Chaos in corpses.

Soul Leech and Fate of Bjuna are the two big whammy magic spells, but that doesn't mean the other spells are useless. Vampires has some great stuff. Invocation of Nehek is a super powerful heal, Danse Macabre is actually a pretty insane buff, Gaze of Nagash can cause tons of casualties fireball style if you spike it into flanks, etc. Necromancer heroes are fine, it's just the lords who are bad choices, and that doesn't loving matter because you have the best lords in the entire game in Vampire Lords.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Third World Reggin posted:

trip report

the best luck I've had as bretonnia against the chaos invasion so far has been 6 men at arms with polearms, 6 peasant bowmen, 4 trebuchets, a lord and paladin without a mount, and 2 of some sort of cavalry, it doesn't matter which

trebuchets own

The most un-Bretonnian army.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Third World Reggin posted:

it kinda upsets me but yah, it feels like I am playing goblins half of the time

I should probably try it with an all mounted force but chaos knights are just so loving good compared to anything bretonnia has now

I'm pretty sure the way things are statted now, Chaos Knights with Lances are roughly equivalent to Grail Knights.

Fans posted:

I've Autoresolved 20 vs 6 matches and my Terrorghiest will still take 50% or more damage. Usually against units it could solo by itself without even losing that much Hp. It's a bit broken.

This is the only thing about playing VC that I hate. Auto-resolve is a massive time saver because holy poo poo gently caress fighting every boring little garrison or mop up battle, but VC are so monster-heavy that you take serious amounts of attrition even against enemies that have absolutely no plausible way to harm your monsters. In past games, I've lost my Varghulf early game by auto-resolving against lovely half-dead Stirland stacks, and I've lost three units of Crypt Horrors to autoresolving against a level two garrison where the autoresolve bar was 100% yellow in my favor.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

I'm convinced that alliances with the AI prior to the Chaos Invasion are a gigantic trap. Every single time I've cautiously allowed defensive alliances to cement my relationship with an important neighboring faction, it bites me in the rear end in a top hat. I had an Empire game going insanely well(Marienburg on turn 13, Ghal Maraz on turn 30, Middenland confederated to me when Bretonnia(my ally) declared war on them), and then got sucked into a loving forever war on my border because Bordeleaux(my other ally) randomly declared war on a previously-friendly-to-them Karak Hirn who I was also allied to. Because Bordeleaux had a full stack army sitting right next to one of my primary recruiting buildings in my backfield and nobody was close enough to reinforce, this forced me to choose between breaking alliance with Karak Hirn and having to raze them to the ground because dwarfs never forget diplomatic maluses, or breaking alliance with Bordeleaux and letting them blow up 40k gold and like 40 turns worth of recruiting building buildup.

So I guess I get to go murder some dwarfs.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Verranicus posted:

Anyone else miss being able to conquer all territories? I find coloring a whole map my color appealing.

EDIT: Some goons mentioned setting battle difficulty to normal/hard and campaign to very hard for a good balance. How do Is et the difficulties separately?

No, regional occupation is a huge gain for the gameplay because having to conquer everything was a titanic boring slog.

If you really miss it, there's a mod to bring it back.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Verranicus posted:

So it was the Radious mod, I'm not sure what exactly but after starting a vanilla game I'm steamrolling where I was having issues before. Bizarre.

I found the Radious early game to be significantly harder for a lot of factions. You have an enormous amount of income relative to vanilla, but you still have the same number of recruitment slots to work with and the game now expects you to maintain twice to three times as many armies. It's really easy to get jammed up and overwhelmed in the early game because enemies will all be rolling around with two or three stacks in a pile but your recruitment speed isn't really increased over vanilla until you take a couple of provinces and can put that income to work. That, coupled with the meatgrindery nature of Radious battles, means that units tend to get ground into hamburger and need replacement rather than replenishment far more.

Kitchner posted:

I'm already not a fan of the fact they changed halbardiers from the table top from being another variation on normal dudes to somehow better and more expensive (in the TT they all cost the same if you buy shields and it's basically a trade off of more defence (swordsmen), more models in combat range (spearmen), or more damage (halberds)).

Halberdiers cost more because armor piercing and anti-large are both extremely valuable and useful traits that would be explicitly too strong on ultra cheap units; heavy armor and large size are typically traits reserved for expensive elite units, so hard countering expensive elites with a first tier unit would be kind of dumb. As it is they're not really any stronger than swordsmen or spearmen except against their intended targets(armored large guys) and die significantly faster than swordsmen or shielded spearmen against anyone with missile weapons, so I feel they nailed the "halberdiers are just another kind of state troop" feel pretty well without making them the de facto spam unit.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Chaos would be infinitely more fun to play if replenishment were a little bit forgiving(so your LL isn't sidelined for 15 turns if he happens to get hosed up one time) and if Norscans weren't the worst loving awful thing in the game. Chaos vs Empire or VCs or Dwarfs is fun.

Actually, is there anyone who doesn't loving hate the Norscans? They're like a black hole of annoying army compositions and lovely infinite raiding stacks that never go away unless you genocide the entire northern half of the map and their restricted roster means that the only non-horribly-tedious way to fight them without autoresolve is giant stacks of crossbowmen. I wish they had Chaos Warriors or something so they'd actually form real armies instead of "8 marauder horse, 3 warhounds, 5 chariots, 3 trolls, and a lord. ok we're good let's go!"

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Blacktoll posted:

I'm not sure what the real complaint is? That the mary sue LL isn't at perfect health every two, three rounds?

Every other faction in the game gets "mary sue LLs"(??? what the gently caress does that mean in this context) at perfect health every two or three rounds because every other faction has reasonable replenishment rates. You can have Franz or Grimgor get smashed down to the verge of death and they'll be right as rain after 2-4 turns of sitting in a town, and that's not even approaching the Vampire "yeah I went into this battle at 1% health and walked out with 100% because I cast Nehek a couple times". It's only Chaos that has to deal with "well, Archaon got spirit leeched twice so now he's either walking back up to the north or I'm just not using him for the next 10 turns".

Heroes are one of the coolest things about the game and Chaos has some of the best, you shouldn't feel punished for wanting to commit them to combat. The poo poo replenishment doesn't matter for Chaos units because they have an easier time simply merging and re-recruiting, but they really need some kind of bonus to hero healing.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

goodness posted:

Is there a description of the changes that the spell mod makes? I couldn't find it on the mod page but I am using mobile so that might be why.

It's a pretty comprehensively huge mod. The general gist is every spell is drastically more powerful, but has a dramatically longer cooldown(usually upwards of 25-30 seconds). The modder went with a general design philosophy of normal version of the spell = single target and potent, overcasted version of a spell = aoe and diluted; an example of this is Invocation of Nehek, which is an enormously powerful self heal on a single target when normal casted but when overcasted will apply a modest heal to almost your entire army. Some of the power spells in singleplayer are unchanged power-wise but have nerfs applied in other ways to make them less point and click easy to use, such as Spirit Leech being reduced to basically melee range.

Spells in the mod are enormously punchy, game-swinging things. An overcasted Burning Head will rip apart a significant chunk of an army if it scatters fortunately. Powerful debuffs like transmutation of lead will render the target unit nearly incapable of fighting for the duration. Buffs like Vanhel's Danse Macabre turn the target unit into turbo murderers for the duration. Magic is basically an incredible force multiplier that can swing a battle entirely on its own instead of a lame, forgettable tool you use to cast Net of Amantok or snipe enemy generals periodically.

In addition to the magic changes, he also massively buffs every legendary lord quest item to the skies(probably making some of them too strong, but it's fun and the enemy gets them too so whatever) and also buffs the everloving gently caress out of the unique Lord skills like Leader of Men on Franz or the generic Sigmar's/Chaos/Vampiric Ward skills.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Perestroika posted:

It makes Metal legitimately good. Searing Doom will tear a huge hole into whatever unit it hits, Transmutation of Lead turns an incoming charge of heavy cavalry into a gentle nudge, and Final Transmutation can murder both single lords and small elite units in a hurry. With the mod, Balthasar Gelt is actually a pretty powerful LL even compared to Karl Franz, particularly with his unique Loremaster of Metal skill.

Yeah, mod Gelt is a force of nature. The very early game is still a little tough because magic has very long cooldowns in the mod and Gelt is still a nerd who can't fight for poo poo, but once you get a few levels and extra spells under your belt modded Balthasar becomes a human artillery brigade that is also a whirling dervish of godly buffs and debuffs. It also buffs his items so instead of being terrible crap they're actually really good. Gelt's campaign bonus also incidentally becomes a lot stronger since wizards are far more powerful in the mod, so recruiting better wizards is proportionately stronger.

The net effect is now Gelt is an actual choice compared to Franz instead of a trap.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Fangz posted:

The second tier LLs generally aren't too bad as a starting pick because you can get the faction leaders as well fairly quickly. If you start with Karl Franz though, Gelt is pretty disappointing when you finally unlock him. You really have to slowly build him up until he gets Final Transmutation.

This magic mod sounds fun but I'm worried about how ruinously painful it'd make fighting the AI, if they have these powers as well.

Gelt is an awful starting pick because he's just awful in general. Final Transmutation is basically the only spell in his list worth using in vanilla; before then I'd rather have a generic Empire Lord leading an army in almost every circumstance because the Empire Lord can actually fight well and isn't spending a third of his total skill points ever to grab a gimmick hero sniper spell.

As for the mod's effect on the AI, generally it makes enemy wizards into real obstacles as opposed to pathetic jokes. That goblin shaman spamming buff spells on the boyz is suddenly dangerous instead of a non-issue, and if AI Archaon starts ripping off Burning Heads it's actually dangerous. The player is generally a lot better about employing magic effectively than the AI, though, so assuming you're taking advantage of the mod's benefits you'll generally come out ahead.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

John Charity Spring posted:

Gelt is terrible but his start would be at least tolerable if his starting units weren't terrible too. Outriders versus Reiksguard is such a bad match-up that there's just no comparison.

Gelt's Mortar is the real early game prize of his lineup, since it can be used to rush down Marienburg early and it can also be used to force the tactical AI to take the offensive instead of you being forced to charge them. I think the Reiksguard are meant to map to the Greatswords(high tier armored fighting unit that requires multiple building dependencies), but the Reiksguard can singlehandedly break armies with effective use while Greatswords are a mildly more effective unit of swordsmen in the early game.

The Reiksguard are nearly on par with Mannfred's Varghulf in early game murder power.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Koorisch posted:

So what magic items should I put on my LL/lords?

Assuming you're talking about guys you're using in combat, ward save items and physical resistance items are top priority because they're percentage damage reduction to functionally everything and stack additively, which hugely ramps up the lord's durability(Kholek with 70%+ ward save is a laugh riot). Items that give regeneration(seed of rebirth off the top of my head) are also top priority. Most combat lords drastically favor weapons that add % damage over weapons that add flat damage because combat lords have huge basic weapon damage numbers across the board.

Magic lords want stuff that increases the reserve magic pool because the size of the reserve magic pool determines how fast you gain usable magic(bigger reserve = you gain usable power faster). They also like potions of healing for the reason that miscasting does a huge amount of damage to you but is completely controllable, so you can overcast until you eat a big miscast and then use the potion to shrug it off.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Fangz posted:

Azhag's definitely Hard Mode Greenskins.

It's really sweet how Azhag starts off with worse stats than a vanilla warboss while also having an infinitely shittier starting army than Grimgor despite Grimgor being able to beat up an army singlehandedly. Seems like a legit, balanced, and reasonable payoff for the ability to eventually, a million turns down the road, start investing levels in Death Magic and getting a wyvern to ride.

Oh wait.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Azhag rules really hard("Hat's grumblin'.") and I wish he was better, just like I wish Gelt and Kemmler were better. Thankfully Molay's mod mostly fixes Gelt and Kemmler and Da East is Green mostly fixes Azhag(doesn't fix his poo poo questlines sadly), but I wish they were better in vanilla.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Mazz posted:

Im pretty sure the Savage Orcs have the Attila goth-horde mechanics where they can settle but also abandon towns and turn into hordes. I've noticed several references to this in the files but I never looked deeper.

If this is the case I'm really curious why normal orcs can't do this. Horde mechanics actually fit orcs and goblins to a tee but I understand that they wanted a settled faction to compete with dwarfs.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Yukitsu posted:

Previous games. From the blacksmith in southern Japan to fuel my drive north. Or my Spanish iron mines to the far east of the map. Or getting Grenadiers to the Americas. Or sending falconets to help me conquer the Aztecs. And etc.

Unless your advance is slow as molasses, it's rarely possible for me to fully upgrade my production centers so that they're within a turn or two's march to the front lines and by the time I have a province set up to recruit my best units, it'll have often been more like 20 turns of dedicated building. It's easier for me to just keep a constant stream of production from my recruitment province and have them slog increasingly long distances across the map but it's also not rare for my late game to consist of mostly trash tier troops with no veterancy and no blacksmith upgrades.

This was poo poo design and one of the worst aspects of the old games and anything that mitigates it is a good thing. Using lovely militia, levies, and basic line infantry for the entire grand campaign because teching up and transporting troops around everywhere takes a million years and is annoying and frustrating. Big armies of high tier dudes and super units mashing into each other is way more fun in the late grand campaign.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

madmac posted:

I literally beat the Greenskins campaign on VH a couple days ago, they work fine just like they always have.

Greenskins do have low LD and break easily, it's part of their playstyle and something you have to work around.

Also autoresolve is incredibly kind to them for some reason, they're the one race where using autoresolve almost feels like cheating a lot of the time.

Autoresolve seems to be extremely lenient with morale checks so orcs keep swinging away with their decent offensive stats and huge unit sizes in the autoresolve calc way longer than they normally would stick around in a real battle.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Choyi posted:

Auto resolve is just incredibly broken, and I'd wish they'd fix it somehow, its hilarious how badly it estimates odds or values an army to the point it almost feels like its based on a completely random number generator.

I find the only way to fully enjoy a campaign with any sort of challenge is to just forget that auto resolve exists for anything besides repeat mop up fights against already broken armies/garrisons.
The other problem with auto resolve is that its also very misleading for anyone newer to the game in terms of giving an idea of how hard a fight would be with the "balance of power", a 70-30 odds in your favor is way more likely to be a super tough fight that you can easily loose, while a 10-90 against you can be a fight you can rather easily take on with just some losses.

It cuts both ways. Autoresolve, even with the patch tweaks, will murder the gently caress out of small elite melee units and monsters with wild abandon and do hideous amounts of damage to your heroes in fights where they should otherwise be nearly untouchable(Grimgor eating 60% hp damage from garrison troops).

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Kainser posted:

You really can't simplify large groups of units as "machines". The only units that could share models are the dwarven and human cannons, Luminarchs/Steamtanks/loving mortars and so on still requires a full amount of work.

e; if you are doing that so can you throw horses/pegasi/gryphons/demigryphs into one group called mounts as well and say that beastmen has so much more work put into them than humans!

This is correct, but given the dramatically different body types of every different type of Beastman there's still a titanic amount of work put into them. Basically only Gors and Bestigors will be able to share animation skeletons, as opposed to every human or every dwarf being able to share.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Ammanas posted:

Agents have been awful in every single TW game and should be excluded from future titles.

Agents are loving rad when embedded in armies as actual unique units that provide cool effects on the battlefield.

Agents on the world map are horrible dumb garbage which generally run somewhere between "not annoying enough that it spoils the experience" and "unplayably annoying" with no actual benefit to the play experience, since even if the player can leverage agent map actions well it usually boils down to breaking the game in half in some way that doesn't involve fighting or strategy(necromancer money farms, sabotaging walls, lucksack assassinating army leaders).

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Getting back in after taking a hiatus since shortly after Beastmen came out. Did they ever buff wizard legendary lords to not be total garbage? I'd love for my man Gelt or Kemmler to not be a joke. How's the new necromancer lord? Are necromancer lords in general not poo poo compared to vamps now?

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

That's highly disappointing. :smith:

Any magic mods that fix the issue that are less crazy than Molay's?

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

I have never managed to have a coop campaign that has not bogged down into awful tedium at an alarming rate. My friend and I have tried multiple different faction combos and it almost always boils down to one doing well and the other doing terribly and needing to suckle off the first to not die or us barely managing to hold on to what we have with no forward progress; it always seems insanely harder than any singleplayer campaign I've played.

For example, we were just playing a Skarsnik(me)/Belegar(him) campaign(with the understanding that he'd take Eight Peaks) because they're right next to each other and are each others' primary enemies early game. I basically sputtered into having to siege Karak Norn out because I couldn't lure them out no matter what I did, so I was stymied for a dozen turns and had to borrow money from Belegar to keep solvent. I eventually took Norn and stabilized and then went on to take Hirn and then the situation basically reversed; my friend took Barak Varr around turn 30 and began needing desperate loans and military aid against a literal dozen greenskin stacks pouring out of the Badlands like a firehose. We managed to keep intact but it's been another 25 turns with literally zero forward progress made with even some backslide because one of the dozen orc stacks snuck around our front and burned one of his backfield cities. I have no idea what faction combo makes for a not super tedious coop campaign or if there's another way to approach this.

(Incidentally, Skarsnik is my new favorite LL but gently caress me if I understand how to reliably take Karak Norn early. Occasionally their stack just randomly leaves the city and you can Lightning Strike them to death but other times they just loving sit there and it completely fucks your early game in the rear end with no recourse.)

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Mr Gentleman posted:

Try going straight for karak norn before they can build up their starting stack - as in turn 1, embed the hero in skarsnik's army and underway as close as you can; turn 2, attack (siege or assault). I find I can reliably take it (let's say 9/10) even on legendary by leaning on the spider you start with.

I tried this once and had the spider get shot to tiny pieces by the paired Thunderer units in the garrison while smashing down the gate, so I assumed it was a non-starter.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Turtlicious posted:

Agents are exhausting to deal with it's constant whack-a-mole of popping dudes off my provinces, how do I stop them form being effective?

The only two ways to deal with agents are to rush for whatever your faction's assassination specialist agents are early(so you can level effective assassins early) or install a mod that disables all aggressive agent actions.

I normally just do the former, but the latter is a lot more fun, in my opinion; just make sure the mod you use disables your own as well as the enemy's to be fair, and make sure you install a mod that tweaks march stance in some way to make up for losing the Block Army function. Disabling strategic agent actions is highly recommended if you're going to play a faction likely to come into conflict with Clan Angrund because it turns out that dealing with a faction that starts with 4 totally invincible agents that cannot be stopped by anything other than critical failure is kind of ridiculously dumb.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Nov 7, 2016

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

How do you guys play the Dwarven early game? It seems like if I try to expand a little that the greenskins end up raiding my poo poo

I've spent a bunch of campaigns trying to go for Mount Gunbad early and it always goes awry for me because Grimgor can seemingly smell when you leave. I usually just bumrush Black Crag by turn 15 or so after expanding my starting stack a bit and building a baby garrison support stack(5-6 units meant to bulk up the garrison of a town that is being hit) to stop enemies from sniping the other two Silver Road cities. Assuming you don't run into a full stack alongside it, the garrison is pretty easy to manage(blow up a tower or two with grudgethrowers and then sweep the biguns off the walls with quarrelers before sending in your warriors) and it provides a fortified expansion base for you to conquer the badlands.

Make sure you bumrush the tech that improves diplomatic relations with other factions. It will make you pretty easy best friends with virtually every dwarf faction in the game, which will serve as a protective cocoon around your flanks while you focus on ruining the Greenskins' poo poo.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

I want so badly for there to be an actual benefit to being a lord level wizard as opposed to a hero level wizard. It's not right that Heinrich Kemmler is functionally identical to a random dingus necromancer in every way except for his items and a random passive.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

I used to kind of like pistoliers as a super early source of enfilade fire on an engaged front line, but then we got Free Company from the DLC and Free Company do that job about a million times more effectively and for cheaper, soo....

They really need to give pistoliers some AP damage to make them not total crap.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Dark Elf/High Elf for naval/ocean rivalry and Lizardman/Skaven for New World rivalry is so logical that I would be stunned if they didn't do it.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

unwantedplatypus posted:

Wood elves are going to be the Mongols of this game

Watching these preview videos and seeing full armies literally just running away at full tilt while launching full devastating missile volleys the entire way has been kind of gross. I don't play multi but I feel kind of bad for people who do because that's going to be annoying.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

LemonAIDS posted:

Isn't it just the more expensive, lower unit size archers than have 360 firing and fire while moving?

Yeah, but they also have poisoned arrows so good luck catching them unless you're on a horse. I guess you could try to gunline them but they have a bunch of vanguard deploy in faction.

I don't think they'll be unstoppable or crazy overpowered or anything, I just think they'll be extremely obnoxious.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

DeathSandwich posted:

So I haven't seen the full roster, do Wood elves not have artillery? Just powerful infantry/cav level ranged units?

Absolutely no conventional artillery. They do have Arrow of Kurnous on Glade Lords and Waywatcher heroes, which acts as a 90s cooldown bound spell equivalent to projectile spells like Fireball, but nothing along the lines of a mortar or a cannon or what have you. Just tons of highly mobile, fragile, low model count but high quality infantry/cav level shooters.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Autsj posted:

From what I understand it increases the mass of the unit for the purpose of resisting the penetration and knock-down effects from a charge. Which is nowhere near as good, unfortunately.

At the very least it keeps your line coherent, even if it doesn't help with the fact that your infantry are likely being slaughtered by shock cav with full charge bonuses.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Yeah, adding subfactions with weird start locations is a great way to add huge amounts of variety to the game.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

wiegieman posted:

+Whatever% trade goods is basically useless, because why make a trade treaty when you should be confederating or infinite hell-war-ing everyone around you?

I've tried endlessly to make trade-based economies work and it's usually a huge investment of money, effort, and time for minimal returns as opposed to not giving a poo poo about all that crap at all and just spamming whatever your faction's income building is everywhere instead of actually building trade resource buildings. Having your income pegged to the whim of the flighty AI is a terrible idea and I'm basically positive that any increased profit you might make from trade over tinker shops is immediately devoured by all the cash you'll need to spend continually bribing people to not hate you because you own more territory than a van down by the river.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

I'm curious to see if WElves have a decent counter to Brettonia. When the enemy army has that much cavalry, it kinda limits your movement options; running and shooting only works when you've got somewhere to run to.

The Wood Elf air force looks strong enough to take down the Bretonnian Flying Circus and the core Wood Elf infantry are roughly equivalent to elite halberdiers, so they have tools to deal with cav spam. Cav spam will obliterate kiting archer piles but it's not like the army can't deal with it if they build for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Durthu's grand campaign start is pretty rough. Your only expansion routes are through two wood elf neighbors with garrison boost buildings in their provinces, through a walled Bretonnian province with a half stack at the start, or through Karak Norn.

I guess patience is the order of the day here.

• Locked thread