Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
What's the best way to deal with bats swarming your artillery as empire? Crossbows or melee?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

The Lone Badger posted:

Has anyone done a breakdown of Empire magic in this game?

My Empire army seems to just cast "charge demigryphs into flank" over and over again and it's pretty OP

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

genericnick posted:

I don't get it. You can produce all units in Reikland. You just need a second province for warrior priests.

I thought that, but with the relatively slower growth of a two settlement province and no warrior priests to speed it up getting to witch hunters takes a million years. And dealing with the corruption and public order penalties of northern tribes you'll never catch wandering around your provinces until you have witch hunters to slow them down is loving terrible.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

Kitchner posted:

Yeah basically Mannfred is who we need to blame for Age of Sigmar.

I really liked VC until this post

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
I was concerned about how strong I was letting Nordland, Middenland, and Ostland get north of the Reik when they made friends and ate Kislev in my current Empire game. I was busy hammering out the orks in the mountains, making friends with the dwarves, building my economy, and letting the Vampire Counts soften the other provinces to make them ripe for confederating. Then Archaon came calling on turn 110 as I had wiped the Vampires out except for ol' Manny in his castle and I was glad for the buffer up north.

That's my story, thanks for reading

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

Bad Moon posted:

First tip, spell it Orc :colbert:

no it's definitely Ork in Warhammer fluff

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
guys the LotR jokes are actually really good, realtalk

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
Most of the time the growth buildings also increase casualty replenishment in the province as well.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
Just want to chime in and say that I would also like to know more about Discord being bad software with adware. I haven't had any problems but I'd like to know more about what I might run into!

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

Rygar201 posted:

If you Google Discord Malware you get jack. The only thing I saw was some dude on reddit having issues removing a corrupted install.

Yeah, all I found is an actual piece of malware called Discord, of no relation the voip solution.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

Surprise Giraffe posted:

Glad we get beastmen but why the gently caress aren't the releasing brettonia too? It's pretty much there already

Hopefully because they're doing Brettonia in a way that puts them into the grand campaign map, rather than a mini campaign like the beastmen seem to be (if I'm reading things right).

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

Chomp8645 posted:

Yeah they gotta be real careful integrating Bretonnia into the grand campaign. Can't just put em anywhere you know! Gotta be set up properly. Still a lot of work to do getting the grand campaign prepared for a Bretonnian presence on the map.

As far as making the troop trees more fully fleshed out and unique, I'd hope that there would be. They're serviceable as it is, but look at the amount of love they gave to designing the Beastmen.

John Charity Spring posted:

Beastmen are in the Grand Campaign too.

Will they be playable in the Grand Campaign, or nuisance like the savage orc tribes?

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

Kainser posted:

Dark/High Elves and the Skaven are probably the two biggest crowd drawers that aren't in the game yet so I'm sure CA will put a lot of effort into them.

I am legit excited for the shootiest Dark Elf army and a Skaven army that spends 70% Of the battle broken, 15% coming back to the front, and only 15% actually fighting anything but still manages to win.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

Kaza42 posted:

I too have preordered the DLC because you're literal human garbage

same

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
It's all worth it. The DLC isn't unreasonably priced, given past pricing trends for the series. Nerd are just loving whiny babies.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

wiegieman posted:

None of the vanilla artifacts are very good. There are some mods that crank them up, maybe too much, but I think it's worth a little imbalance.

I would argue that Karl Franz's Ghal Maraz is great for the worldwide public order bonus.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

DeathSandwich posted:

The buffs and penalties from the full moon events are semi random. Sometimes you get 10% replenishment, sometimes you get 100%

If you look at enough of them in a row, I wonder if they would be cyclical, to reflect phases of the moon? That would be a nice touch. So 10, 50, 100, 50, 10 repeating or something.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
Dwarves being high leadership and armored everything with great artillery and ranged units is probably going to be rough for Beastmen. Have fun!

What do you guys recommend for army comps with Chaos in the grand campaign? I'm around turn 50 and I've got Kholek, Sigvald and a death wizard leading full stacks, the north is fully subjugated and awakened, and I'm ready to recruit Arachaon in a few more turns. Everyone is running around with big piles of chaos warriors or chosen (and Kholek can recruit like 9 loving units every turn, holy poo poo), but I kind of miss my poison dogs and throwing axes. What are your go to mid-game army comps?

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

KM Scorchio posted:

I would thank you not to thank me pre-emptively for things I shall not be doing. Thanks.

For all of its bluff and bluster, SA is surprisingly progressive sometimes. I wouldn't expect a lot of support on the "lol rape" front

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

madmac posted:

After the second patch AI agents don't even try to assassinate you anymore unless you've got your own lone agents hanging around, they just spam assault unit for negligible damage every turn (It got nerfed hard) until they gently caress up and kill themselves. Block Army is also rarely used and I haven't seen them attempt destroy building in ages.

I don't know about that. My dwarf campaign just came to a screeching halt when a swarm of banshees assassinated the lords for all 5 of my armies in a single turn.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
I wonder if they'll make Free Company recruitable with no recruitment buildings. Hybrid troops that aren't good at anything, but can recruited anywhere at any time for cheap and can vanguard deploy seems like something that's kind of balanced. It give the Empire something to do when they have no recruitment buildings, at least.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

Deified Data posted:

Yeah, at least there's a bit of room for personalization when it comes to Space Marines - at least they have faces and there's people under there. I've never seen a Sigmarine without their helmet though.

Isn't a new fluff thing that they're the souls of mighty heroes forged into the armor suits?

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
I haven't played as Empire since before Beastmen, and the Empire start is a loving nightmare now. I just had two different games collapse by turn 20, both with 2 stacks of skull takerz and two beastmen warherds razing the Reikland to the ground. The second one Marienburg declared war when all I had left was nearly dead Volkmar in Eilhardt, killed him and claimed the town. What the gently caress.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

Pendent posted:

Does vanguard deployment get more interesting? As it is right now I can only place units between the two deployment zones and sometimes in the rear corners of the map on the enemy side. Neither feels particularly interesting

It isn't always useful. Sometimes you'll have terrain features like hills or forests that will naturally impact army movement, and you can screen your vanguard deployed troops behind them for some devastating rear charges. Or send them after the artillery once the enemy main line is far enough away to let them get to it.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

Kaza42 posted:

My current Empire campaign is easily the most fun I've had fighting the Vampires. I decided to focus on conquering Bretonnia first this time through, starting as Gelt because I love suffering I guess. When Gelt was mid way through Bretonnia, I had the chance to confederate Stirland. Wanting to unlock Franz, I did so and was almost immediately attacked by the Vampires. Stirland only had two capitals left: Wurtbad and Averheim. Averheim is seiged when its garrison is half strength and the paltry third-stack that Stirland left me is stationed there. I immediately start raising an army with Franz, as Gelt was far too distant to help against the Vampires and I needed the money from the Bretonnian ports. When Franz's stack is half full, Averheim is assaulted by Vlad and Kemmler. Together they brought about 6000 mostly-chaff units against my 2000. Averheim fell, but not before inflicting massive losses on the Vampires, reducing their 6000 strong force to less than 1000. Their advance wasn't halted, but rather stalled for a few turns while they replenished their numbers from the dead. Meanwhile, Schwarzhafen attacked Wurtbad with a single stack, but was defeated by the now-bolstered garrison.

Then Franz comes through with my most powerful army yet, 20 mid game units (no tanks or demigryphs yet, but hellstorm batteries, handguns and halberdiers at least). Schwarzhafen's remaining forces were crushed, and then three vampire stacks attacked Franz: Ghorst, Kemmler and a Vampire Lord. They were still mostly using chaff, but grave guard had begun to replace skeletons. It was costly, but my artillery batteries all scored more than 300 kills each (one hellstorm killed 767 undead abominations), and many of my line infantry rivaled that number. I was able to beat them back, and then crush those forces the next turn. Weakened and being sapped by vampiric corruption, I wanted to press on to the Moot, but it was well guarded by Vlad's restored forces. Instead, I lead Franz into an opportunity attack on Fort Oberstyre. A fatal mistake.

I took the fort with little difficulty, but then Vlad attacked. His army outmatched my weakened force, and was only defeated with difficulty. Vlad himself slew more than 300 of my warriors before succumbing to concentrated firepower. And so it was a tattered, barely present defense force that was attacked by a renewed Schwarzhafen immediately after. Despite the attackers being entirely chaff raised in a hurry, my weary defenders couldn't stand. Franz fell, and the fort was lost. However, the Vampires were also broken and so an uneasy calm settled on the East. Reikland was busy raising new troops as fast as possible, and Gelt was on his way back from a near-total conquest of Bretonnia. Finally, Franz and Gelt have met up, restored to full strength, and are preparing to venture into that damned land once more. A recent confederation of Wissenland may provide the funds and forward presence we need to finally drive these scum back into the dirt where they belong.

Easily my favorite part of this game are my own little mini-fanfics about the Old World my campaigns generate. Thanks for sharing. :)

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

DeathSandwich posted:

Have they said anything about how the Great Green Prophet is going to play vs a standard greenskin campaign? I assume he's going to be to Savage Orcs what Volkmar is to Flagellants insofar as he'll have campaing and level up bonuses that heavily benefit using savage orcs in mass. Will he be able to recruit savage orcs from any territory or will he have to use global recruitment when he's outside of his starting region?

Speaking of flagellants, is there any way to make them really useful in the campaign? They made mediocre second line infantry reinforcements, but I can't really find a niche outside of that.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

queeb posted:

Canada has them too. I have an acquaintance that is a manager at a GW so I'll see if I can get some keys outta him.

We've actually got one that just opened less than 6 months ago in Des Moines, IA. I'll poke my head in this weekend and see what I can see.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
The Gotrek and Felix novels were definitely a guilty pleasure for me. They've fought with and against basically every faction in the old world, I'd like to see them as something like a Hero unit that any of the "good" factions can recruit like a regiment of renown or something.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
What do you guys do about enemy agents as dwarfs? The vampire and orc agents just buzz around my armies like a could of flies, and every turn starts with at least half a dozen messages about agent actions. Around turn 50 I lost all of my Lords to assassinations at the start of the turn, broke the bank hiring in first level lords for their armies, then had those lords die to new agent actions the next turn. I kind of feel like maybe the agent metagame of the campaign map is some serious bullshit.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

Arcsquad12 posted:

Baruk Khazad! Khazad ai-menu!

That's Tolkien dwarves, silly

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
I've found the "AI armies take full attrition damage" mod to be pretty great, except for when my allies find themselves settlement-less and their army wanders aimlessly until it's dead.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

fnordcircle posted:

It's a shame they can't have crossover between Vermintide and TW. Being able to hire those characters as heroes in TW would be pretty great.

The Waywatcher would need to have 100% of her hagbane arrows hit friendly targets if any are in a 120 degree arc in front of her for an authentic cross over experience

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

Cardiac posted:

Is there a mod that increases the rate with which the fractions resettle razed settlements?
Norsca and Borderlands are fast in that, but not the Empire.

Is there anything other than the ruins dweller faction trait that impacts that? I always seem to see the Norscans and at least one of the VC factions with it, but not many others.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
I've got my 20% code from getting Grombrindal. First come, first served, post if you take it please:

8YMY7-9DPGY-MFWDD

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

Deified Data posted:

The key to Greenskins is getting a Waaagh going ASAP and using it to cheese auto resolve against the Dwarfs before they become a threat. Then you can take the Badlands at your leisure.

Does that still work after the autoresolve changes with the Wood Elves patch?

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
Is there a good effortpost on what to do with Wood Elves in the grand campaign? I thought I remembered someone mentioning conquering the forest by force early by using ambushes at the Oak map. I tried that, and the first other wood elf faction came with two full stacks of high tier troops on turn 12 to my stack of eternal guard without shields and glade guard. rip me. I reloaded and just looked at all of the other wood elf armies in play and they all have poo poo from the last couple of tiers of buildings in their armies on turn 12. On normal. I don't think this is going to work out.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
When the second level oak of ages indicates it needs 5 amber to upgrade, does that mean I just need 5 amber total, or 5 amber to spend on it? Also, what should I prioritize building for King's Glade? I feel like I need the Grape Vines for the 800 income or I can't field a full stack, but I also want to rush for EG/Shields. I've beat every other campaign and had fun doing it, but I can not even begin to figure out what to do with the first dozen turns on Wood Elves.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

drat Dirty Ape posted:

Started up a few Skarsnik GCs and I agree, it is not quite right how quickly the wood elves confederate with each other. I was ~12 turns in and they were #1 and had all allied with each other in the span of like 3 turns. I like a challenge, but I feel that if they remain as-is the wood elves will dominate the west 9/10 times, which is kind of boring. They aren't at war with me and I'm doing fine, but I've noticed the same thing happen early in a lot of GCs lately. They are missing a natural barrier/enemy (the beastmen are a really slight annoyance, and they seem to attack the empire more than the wood elves anyway).

For most factions cheating at public order, income, and confederation is the only way they can actually stay in the game. Especially against the player. But for wood elves that all seems to go a little overboard.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
I've never really tried a VC campaign, so I started one. What's with Templehof running around with 4 half stacks on turn 3? How do you deal with the sheer number of troops when you don't have much better than skeletons?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

Zudgemud posted:

You use Vlaaad, Vlaaad the Daaad!

Yeah, I had started with one of the Wizard legendary lords, which was terrible.

• Locked thread