Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
Make sure your spears are braced (not moving) when they get charged.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
Are you guys talking about 8th edition TKs? Didn't they have huge skeletons with ballista bows and huge animated murder statues and snake riders and cool monstrous poo poo in addition to so-so undead infantry and cav

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
What do you have to do to win heroic victories? I just won a fight as Mannfred against 3 full stacks of kislev troops. There was no visible yellow on the autoresolve bar. I cut off the reinforcing troops, killed them, rested, and then killed the main army. I lost ~500 troops, kislev lost ~2200. Each unit of wolves had like 300+ kills from eating runners. It was still a "decisive victory"

Then I win some base defence with a lovely garrison and whoops, heroic victory

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
I know vcs are supposed to be the natural empire enemy,but they're a couple provinces away and the anti corruption hero is from a higher tech and expensive building that offers few other immediate benefits. It never seems worth it to go over there to grab provinces that'll constantly be unruly and insecure versus, for example, rolling south and taking everything that's not nailed down in Brettonia.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009

Fangz posted:

Again, I haven't seen any confirmation of this. Do note that (1) you can set march stance after attacking - indeed at any time - and you will get the bonus 50% move as a proportion of your *maximum* movement points, and (2) on limited moves, the UI simplifies display of enemy moves, IIRC not showing stance changes.

If the AI could do this, my experience playing as greenskins would be very different - waaghs accompanying my main armies would ensure that I can attack at a 50% bonus range to normally, by having the waagh use march stance to attack and pull in my army as reinforcement. I've never seen this happen.

They can take a city or raze and move away after. It is absolutely something that the ai can do that the player cannot

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009

Grognan posted:

You can do this, just start your turn next to the city you wanna pillage.

Razing consumes an army's movement

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
Defending sieges as dwarfs rules. I returned to my dwarf campaign for a bit and VCs attacked a city bordering on their territory that had level 2 walls. They attacked with 3 and a half full stacks, including Kemmler, Mannfred, and 4 or 5 other heros mixed in. They actually ended up attacking after building towers / rams. They lost like 7000 troops and most of their heros, I lost the garrison that came with the city and a newly recruited basic hero. Ungrim and Thorgrim finally got there from way south a couple turns later and razed all of Sylvania and cleaned up what the undead still had left after the siege.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
Going heavy micro on a light wizard you can rack up hundreds of kills with his bolt spell, and it's actually pretty battle changing - land him on a flank and cast two bolts, suddenly two or three enemy units are missing 30 or 40 guys a piece and are close to routing, even on ultra unit size

Compare that to searing doom, where you can drop it repeatedly on a unit and their hp barely even dips

madmac posted:

With Spirit Leech and Fate nerfed you'll see other spells used more but I don't agree that damage spells generally are in a good place. Purple Sun does something like 100 damage, it's embarrassing how bad it is. The absolute top-tier aoe damage spells are just barely worth using sometimes in limited circumstances.

I'd like magic that's capable of turning the tide - the counter to it is the fact that most spellcasters are extremely frail and vulnerable to griffons and cannonballs. The only thing that would suck is vampires, who are melee monsters AND spellcasters, but we're basically already in that situation so

VC is really the easiest single player campaign right now - even on very hard, Mannfred just doesn't lose. You're free to just focus on economic buildings and run around with him, his varghulf, his growing vampire harem and some random chaff and you'll still crush whatever you end up against.

terrorist ambulance fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Jun 12, 2016

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
Is there any reliable way to force a lord to focus on a particular unit (ie: a hero or lord) in a fight rather than getting bogged down in chaff. It seems like half the time I send my lord after another character the enemy character just kind of walks away while my lord decides to gently caress up some random spearmen

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
It's very annoying when your faction leader picks up traits like "harsh" and "unjust". Faction-wide public order penalty in all provinces that you cannot remove unless you don't use your legendary lord.

edit: Also, I just can't seem to get the hang of the economy with some races. Like for Empire - no one wants to trade, I end up winning every battle but still impoverished and barely able to field one stack for most of the game.

terrorist ambulance fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Jun 12, 2016

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
I'd really hoped that this bullshit fluff chat about stuff that isn't and may never be in the game was over now that the game was released but it turns out warhammer grogs' capacity for arguing about whether bear cavalry was ever a "real thing" in the "canon" was never ending

See also: I have some real important opinions about "sigmarines" which has the following to do about this total war fantasy game:

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
The vanilla veterancy bonuses are fine. Gold chevron halberdiers will fight basically to the last near a lord even on v hard.

It's also trivial to game veterancy with the relevant hero's- if the bonuses were bigger, it'd be too easy to create superhero state troops

A guy on YouTube tested 3 gold chev black orc against no veterancy black orc and a lord. The gold ones won the fight

terrorist ambulance fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Jun 15, 2016

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
I tried to start a campaign with Sigvald and just couldn't. You can literally run Kholek and his little dragon ogre buddies straight into the centre of the enemy line and just follow up with the rest of your troops and win fights. Sigvald on the other hand seems to lose one on one to even basic lords at level 1. There's just no comparison

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
Full veterancy halberds in an honest steel army are ridiculous. When they're braced they can take a chaos knight charge and lose like 10 guys and destroy the Knights. I end up killing more with them with less losses than my greatswords in most battles where they're not getting shot

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
How are you supposed to get an economy off the ground for vampire counts? No one wants to trade and your economy buildings are poo poo. I'm aware you can stack banshees/ necromancer but that's boring and also takes too long

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
Does the "poor against armor " stat actually mean anything? Goblin archers still seem to wreck anything that doesn't have a shield whether it has armor or not, and dire wolf or hound rear charges still do well against even heavily armored troops.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
Ok well to expand, if you have 3 units of goblin archers focusing a unit of hammerers or great swords the melee unit will die really quickly despite being an elite and heavily armored unit.

From what I understand this probably relates to how armor actually works- it reduces an amount of damage randomly with chances or amount based on the stat. So even non piercing damage has a chance to get through. So if you have 360 goblins shooting at a unit it'll do damage even if the unit is heavily armored.

They don't do super well against armored units with a shield, but hammerers in particular feel nearly pointless because 200 gold worth of goblins can pick them apart from range.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009

Kitchner posted:

How does armour work precisely?

Is it just

(Non AP weapon damage - armour) + AP weapon damage = Total weapon damage

So you could get something with 30 weapon damage and 15 AP damage against 20 armour doing:

(30-20)+15=25

And against 10 armour doing

(30-10)+15=35

Or am I missing something?

Here's what some guy from reddit thinks. It does accord with my experiences - https://www.reddit.com/r/totalwar/comments/4m9sdw/how_melee_attack_and_defense_armor_and_damage/

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
Units using ladders get a huge disadvantage in melee when they get there

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009

Mans posted:

I'm currently 150 turns into an Orc campaign and i've got to ask, is this goon consensus?

I've let the dwarves keep some of their settlements, specially the big fortresses because sacking them gives you a garanteed 30k every 5 turns. I'm not sure how you can finance a proper orc army without constant sacking the stunties. the crappy 300+ gold treasure box economy item is terrible.

Do a prospect of Dwarven territory and see where they stash all their econ buildings and never actually conquer, just perma sack them for eternal gold and Lord XP

That actually sounds like a pretty good way to play. Especially if you use lords specced for sacking and raiding to do the work. I don't usually use sacking / raiding much except for Chaos, which can't survive except without it because it doesn't seem to have much of a return, but I guess repeatedly sacking a set of "tamed" dwarf settlements could also work.

Do you not get death stacks spawning out of nowhere from them though?

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009

Shumagorath posted:

Also how are people winning VC long at turn 80? poo poo took me 200+.

I have no idea. It took me 40 or 50 turns to even get any kind of stable economy going with them.

I'm at turn 80 or so in my vc very hard campaign right now bogged down in the north. There's like 6 half stacks of chaos raiding that won't fight, and if I block / chase them, the others start to go after my cities. It's like the kids on the play ground are playing keep away. The way that every enemy army is just out of reach and even if it's not that they take two battles to totally destroy is probably my least favorite thing about the game.

In my game the dwarfs are having a huge brawl over the south - there are no other factions left in the badlands / mountains just greenskins and dwarfs with 20ish regions each. They each have multiple full stacks running around, taking and retaking cities and razing / sacking and rebuilding. It's actually kind of cool to watch and way more interesting than the pathetic keep away games of chaos. I don't know why the ai can't do that well when it's fighting against a human opponent

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
Holy moly late game chaos is loving boring. Your units are all slow heavily armored bricks that lumber around taking way too much damage from poo poo outriders and marauder horsemen, and shut gets rebuilt about as fast as you sack it. There's no chance of losing, its just a boring grind.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
Is it even possible to lose a siege defence as dwarfs in a settlement that has walls

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009

Mans posted:

i've had to start over as chaos 5 times and every time i'm getting my rear end handed to me in a new way.

every game CA makes with hordes they portray them as these unstopable forever moving balls of death yet both chaos and the huns are the hardest campaigns i've ever played in the total war series

Are you actually losing or just quitting early because it's not going as well as you'd like

Chaos has insane legendary lords, very strong regular units, and no real fail state short of losing every single horde. You have access to the hardest infantry in the game AND lore of death on both heros and lords. How are you losing? What difficulty?

terrorist ambulance fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Jun 24, 2016

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
I really like outriders. They're not usually worth their upkeep as they die too easily to archers and often don't have enough effect, but fast armor piercing cavalry able to freely wheel around lines and shoot infantry blocks in the back is really fun feeling

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
Yeah I wish they weren't so terrible in melee. They're guys on horses with swords, why are they losing to lovely foot archers when they get the charge

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
In an empire game I just consolidated Reikland, took Marienburg / its other settlement, and have started moving into Middenheim. Then on turn 25 I get the chaos invasion warning and 3 full stacks of norsca start rolling down towards Reikland. They're clearly bypassing Nordland / Middneheim and are just making a beeline straight for my poo poo. I've got one whole stack to defend with, can't really set up any of the garrison / defensive buildings, and have no money to recruit more troops because even friendly nations where I've been fighting their opponents (ie: Brettonia) will not trade with me.

Pretty annoying / frustrating. What are you supposed to do about 60+ units just spawning out of nowhere and heading straight for you at that point in the game. This is also after a pretty good start where I managed to take Marienburg without having to fight a full stack in addition to the garrison, and have wiped out two full Middenheim armies without many losses.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
Dunno, I've never seen it before. Difficulty is very hard. And yes, technically you can't "lose" from that - they can't beat Altdorf even with 3 or 4 full stacks, and probably won't even seriously try- but having everything I've managed to build razed and set back as though the last 25 turns never happened with no real way to fight back (and even if I could fight back they'd just hang 1inch outside of engage range anyways) is not really fun

Screenshot of the bullshit if you think I'm exaggerating - http://imgur.com/BujMThg

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
I've never used or seen outriders with grenade launchers used before. About to recruit my first 3 or 4. Hope they're as awesome as you'd hope.

Also, I was delighted to find that apparently the AI can global recruit while in Encampment stance at the same rate that they'd recruit while in a settlement. Middenheim's last army, on the ropes and in enemy territory, magically teleported 15~ units from their last surviving region

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
Shoot savage orcs with goblins. Dead savage orcs

Also, I like how the strategic map generally looks very different from game to game. In my current Empire game I have Middenheim, Marienburg, Hochland, and Reikland - Kislev and Ostland have taken everything else north of the mountains except Sylvania. Seeing Kislev occupying Nuln is pretty weird, but the AI generally seems better at having large, consolidated enemies that are actually worth fighting against - compared to Rome 2, where you'd just roll effortlessly through 1 or 2 region civ one after the other

terrorist ambulance fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Jun 26, 2016

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
In a new vh dwarf campaign I killed grimgors army (with a full stack) 3 times in 3 separate close and hard fought battles. He then respawned with a full stack and a waagh from their last two remaining regions ( I'd taken black crag, their last regions were like west of barak varr on the coast) and sacked karaz a karak while I was up north getting gunbad. Then confederated with the bloody spearz, who'd wiped out the northern dwarfs, and were back up to like 10 regions. loving very hard / impossible strategic layer is some bullshit sometimes

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
Grenade launcher outriders are really disappointing.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
Is direct damage magic actually any good now

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
To the guys that are making mods - can you make something to change how far that AI armies can move after sacking a settlement? They can "force march" and end up moving as far / farther AFTER sacking a settlement than a player-controlled army can move in a "normal" move. Yes, the player can in some cases move short distances by toggling force march after sacking, but no way as far as the AI can. It turns protecting your settlements without walls into a tiresome whack a mole game and is easily the most annoying thing about the mid to late game other than highly levelled chaos agents that are near loving immune to assassination. Is there any easy fix to the issue?

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
The equipment/skills aren't the issue, Ward saves just shouldn't stack, or if they do should give diminishing returns.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009

Panfilo posted:

How are people capturing Mt Gunbad so quickly? I know it's very lucrative because gold mine+Bright stone mine gives you an enormous boost economically.

My problem is that it is a province capital with level 2 walls; even if i attack with Thorgrim and a full stack it leaves Silver Road vulnerable because at that point I don't have the income to support two stacks. If I try to take it then I'll get Grimgor making a run for Pillars of Grumgi or Squighorn and have very little to defend against him.

Playing on normal

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
The morale adjustments on harder difficulties really make for absurd outcomes. Orc boar boyz charging into the back of goblin spearmen --> orc boar boyz break after 15 seconds of combat. Sure, sounds good.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
yes "lmao" indeed heavy shock cav should panic and run if left in contact without cycle charging against expendable poo poo infantry that don't even have a bonus to large good point

I'm not complaining about the difficulty in general, I play VH / legendary because I like the challenge, I'm just saying that adding a flat leadership bonus to everything has some pretty weird / dumb break points. IE: it makes goblins stick around even when they get charged from behind by shock cav, it makes enemy trolls really loving good, it makes basically all dwarfs fight to the last man. There's probably better / less lazy ways to add difficulty

terrorist ambulance fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Jul 2, 2016

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Couple things i wasn't sure about reading the OP --

If starting as Empire, what's a good way to build your emperor franz dude?

Any advice on the strategic map? Are non-combat victories possible?

is it worth it to hunt down and crush fleeing enemies at the end of fights or should i just let them go

Get enough points in red to max out "honest steel" - it gives large, flat bonuses to swordsmen and turns them into very cost effective and relatively tough infantry.

Then go far enough in the blue line to get lightning strike - it allows you to attack armies without them receiving reinforcements, which is valuable because usually you're outnumbered by the AI.

Then either return to the red line to pick up points in pistolkorps (enhances the effectiveness of your ranged infantry) and the morale boost actives (rally, hold the line) or just go straight down the combat line and pick up +hp, +melee defence, and +weapon strength skills as well as the actives. Don't buy a horse / pegasus until you can get Deathclaw.

On the strategic map - make allies / trade agreements early, because once you become larger you have to pay huge amounts of money to get them to even consider trading with you. Just keep an eye on diplomacy - you're centrally located as the empire and if everyone declares war on you at once it can suck. Get the port in Marienburg (west of your starting point) built up and build Reikland into a recruiting / income centre - everywhere else, try to build growth, income, and garrison buildings. Level 2 garrisons add walls to cities and can usually fight off a stack on their own, and will give you time to get an army there to rescue them, and also seem to hugely discourage the AI from attacking, so they're very valuable even though they take up a spot. When population is maxed out in your province, make sure to delete the buildings and replace them with something else.

On whether it's worth catching fleeing enemies - if they're only "routed", they'll come back to the fight, so yes you should keep up the pressure to make sure they don't come back. If the whole army is "shattered" and the win screen pops up, it's still worth chasing them down if you have fast troops capable of it - often a defeated army will withdraw a couple moves after a lost fight, but will still retain all the troops that didn't actually die in the battle. If you kill as many as you can while they're running away from you on the battle screen, you don't have to face them again in the new battle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009

wiegieman posted:

I'm finding that cairn wraiths absolutely clown all over whatever line Empire tries to put up against them. 80% physical resist is like having 160 armor, only armor piercing doesn't get to do anything. Literally the only way to beat a wraith line is to assassinate or break them with rear charges, and blood knights are stellar counter cav. And if your line gets into trouble, you drop a curse of years or invocation of nehek.

Magic or magical weapons also

• Locked thread