Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Comstar posted:

This is Total:war:Hammer. Lots of people talking about hammers.

No no, that's a mistranslation, albeit an understandable one when we're dealing with adapting a European intellectual property.

It's actually Toe-To-Tail Warhammer - goatmen, giant rats, gigantic birdmen, and other anthropomorphic animals fighting each other in a dark medieval setting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Arglebargle III posted:

The surplus of kings is an especially nice touch. Since they were petty kingdoms and every generation of rulers got resurrected, and they're immortal, there are way way too many kings, like hundreds and hundreds of them. Too many kings with too many soldiers running around fighting an undead forever war, only stopping when Settra decides to gently caress something up or an invading army comes to loot some tombs.

Imagine how you'd feel if you woke up and some rear end in a top hat great-great grandson decided he got to be the king! Ungrateful poo poo! Fortunately all your loyal immortal soldiers are pretty sure their king is the real king, and bang you get a thousand years of pointless battles in the desert.

...loving sold.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Weissritter posted:

Reading through the thread I have a feeling a lot of people renamed Mannfred's starting Vargulf to Fluffy.

As did I :v:

Pretty sure that's canonical.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Mannfred, Fluffy, and a rotating cast of skeletons and garrison units have been holding Talabheim against a huge pile of Norscans and the occasional wayward Chaos stack for like a dozen turns now. :allears:

They'd probably be better off just sieging the place to the ground rather than trying to assault the walls.

A Chaos LL stack could probably crack it, but a half-strength random-poo poo stack couldn't quite kill Mannfred or Fluffy before they dropped below critical mass and fell apart. And Mannfred gets a zombie dragon in one more level. :drac:

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Jun 15, 2016

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

William Bear posted:

Speaking of, what units have Unbreakable?

Dwarves:
Ungrim Ironfist
Slayers

Empire:
Steam Tank

Chaos Warriors:
Hellcannon
Chaos Spawn

Is that it? Do Greenskins or Vampires have any units that will always fight to the last man?

Strictly speaking, undead units will always fight to the last. :v:

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Man, that was a heck of a fight. Two mediocre VC stacks and a lv2 town garrison against Kholek's full stack, Archaon's full stack, and some random schlub's mostly-full stack (that happened to spawn behind my deployment area :haw: ).

Fluffy was pretty much the only model left standing in Mannfred's stack, and Mannfred got wounded at the very end of the main fight, but the Chaos offensive has been pretty well broken.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

McGavin posted:

:siren: THIS IS THE TONE POLICE! COME OUT WITH YOUR HANDS UP! :siren:

IF IT WOULDN'T BE TOO MUCH TROUBLE, THANK YOU FOR YOUR TIME

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Kaza42 posted:

Bit of both, from what I can tell. If, at any time after Archaon's rampage begins, the Warriors of Chaos have no hordes remaining they will be defeated and no more will spawn. However, if any hordes remain then they will continue to spawn in waves depending on your difficulty level. My source is this mod, which adjusts how many waves come.

VH is a real pain in the rear end on this count. :mad:

Good to know that there's a limit. Talabheim and Sylvania are awash in blood and corpses, which does have its benefits as VC.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

I found it far better to subjugate those guys, one minor city is such a small thing to give away in exchange for a trading partner that gives you tribute per turn and 1-2 upkeep free standing armies to deal with any nearby threats.

Plus you still technically own the full province if they are your vassal and what else do you really need that minor city for?

Wait, you do? :stare:

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

unwantedplatypus posted:

It seems like VH/normal is the golden standard of fun challenge. I'm fine with the ai getting all the free stacks it wants, but I hate the idea of my troops directly getting nerfed.

Battle difficulty doesn't correctly adjust with ingame difficulty settings :v:

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Gitro posted:

So what does it do? Unless the tooltips are lying dropping from VH to H removes the leadership penalty from my units and leaves the AI with their buffs. Don't know about other stats because I never bother to check.

The tooltips are lying. Start a fight and mouse over enemy troops' leadership.

Fortunately, There's A Mod For That!

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Avasculous posted:

It's a little counterintuitive, but one thing that helped me a lot on VH was conquering the Brettonian sub-factions (Tilea, Carcasonne, Parvonia, etc) first. They're surprisingly weak, they have a ton of ports, and best of all, taking their lands doesn't expose you to Viking Armageddon. In fact if you take everything to the Southern tip of the map, they're not really exposed to attack from anyone except Savage Orc spawns.

It's also generally a good idea in the Empire campaign to keep an eye on diplomacy and bribe any of the provinces that start hating you and you don't want to fight right now.

Tilea isn't Bretonnian, Slaanesh drat it. :argh:

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

The Lone Badger posted:

Dwarfs are incredibly buff in the early game. Warriors and Quarrelers are top-notch units and you can recruit them both from turn 3. Their later units aren't gamechangers like the tier 4 / 5 Empire units though (though Ironbreakers are the toughest thing in the game)

Ironbreakers also have those ridiculous goddamn grenades for some really stupid huge burst damage. I'm not really sold on anything else in the late dwarf roster but invulnerable grenadiers are Pretty Good.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Arcsquad12 posted:

As does Azhag the Slaughterer. Grimgor is great for being straightforward and smashy, but Azhag sounds like an Orc trying to be sophisticated, and kind of pulling it off.

...Hat's grumbling.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Spamming the heck out of ungor archers isn't the world's worst idea to start (because ungor spearmen are garbage).

Bonus: being beastmen, they have an easy time zipping around to the enemy flank.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

So I never really played Chaos, but as Beastmen it seems like I'll never ever get a second stack properly up and running. :saddowns:

Not that I'm not having a jolly old time rolling around the Not-Mediterranean, but eventually I'm going to need a doublestack (not counting brayherds, who either slow down my blitzkrieg or keep me from getting the cash from a sack :argh:), and I just don't see how I'm going to fund it.

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Jul 28, 2016

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

John Charity Spring posted:

If it's anything like playing Warriors of Chaos then the key is not to worry about having a deficit each turn. As long as you keep a buffer treasury that means you won't go bankrupt for at least 10-15 turns then you're golden.

It feels like I keep sacking cities just fast enough to not run empty.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

On the plus side, whoever said shield minotaurs are the best is absolutely right. :allears:

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Yukitsu posted:

Who the poo poo thought it was a good idea to let an 833 point unit summon a 1600 point unit is what I want to know. Holy hell.

Malagor has so many places to put points in campaign. :negative:

Blue tree, the mandatory 3-point army wstrength buff, the just-about-mandatory Malagor -leadership debuff, and plodding up the spell tree, most of which is mediocre, to unlock Holy poo poo Free Cygor gently caress You.

Personally I'm going spells last but I may regret not being able to poo poo out a free cygor (or two?) every battle. Malagor without it is... not total garbage aside from passives, his artillery strike forces the enemy to engage.

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Jul 28, 2016

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

cheese posted:

Ahhhh ok I think I'm razing too many cities then. What are the go to units? I feel lost when picking between the Centigor/Razor herd/Minotaur buildings.

Minotaurs and Ungor Archers do a surprising amount of work. I recommend minos as the first building. Bonus: it gives you access to the mino hero.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

The correct Malagor strategy is to hit the Top Knots in the face for a bit of travel money, then go loping north/northwest to sack the Border Princes and Tilea anyway. :v:

Helps that the Beastpaths go underwater. ...Somehow.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Nanomashoes posted:

They go from one forest to another.

Oh, so it's an Athel Loren sort of thing. That makes sense in a Warhammer sort of way.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Looks like you can only summon one Cygor per battle (...per shaman, maybe?).

Which is, you know, just fine.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Fresh Shesh Besh posted:

Has anyone else found the upkeep reduction buildings for Beastmen to be a mandatory building to rush if you want more than 1 army? With one army I can coast along just fine, but trying to keep 2 armies at 17 units to get brayherds basically requires me to never raze for horde growth. I don't think I was able to comfortably separate my armies until like 80 turns in. I was fighting off bankruptcy the entire time.

It's pretty rough, yeah. Risky to grab them TOO early though, they tank your growth if you haven't gone up the blue tree a bit and/or don't have the growth tech yet. (Technically, they tank your growth then too, but they're just too important to getting a second stack operational)

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Looks like the 100% reinforcement buff from the moon was a typo and they meant it to be 10%. :saddowns:

Edit: or maybe it's just behaving funnylike.

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Jul 29, 2016

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

The Khazrak unlock is sacrifice, right? I'm starting to worry it's bugged.

Wish there were a way I could check the progress.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Total Warhammer doesn't like me bringing two full-ish stacks and their two brayherd buddies to the party. It crashes.

Guess I'll autoresolve this siege, although I was sort of looking forward to a mega-brawl at Middenheim (where my brayherd bros die in their hundreds).

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Vastakaiun posted:

I thought I was nearing the end of my Beastmen grand campaign, having wiped out all the necessary human factions... only to find out that the Dwarfs had grown to 23 settlements and, judging from the first few battles, aren't just gonna poo poo their pants and start running as soon as they see a minotaur. :v:

You don't need to kill the dorfs for a short win, but I ain't gonna argue if you just want to krump some stunties.

Comedy option: bring a bunch of cygors and out-artillerize the little fuckers.

Edit: which reminds me, has anyone in the grand campaign started with Malagor and successfully unlocked Khazrak? It's not bugged, is it? :saddowns: My beastlord sidekick is doing fine but I think I will need Khaz for the quest fight.

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Jul 29, 2016

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Update: Khazrak does in fact unlock fine, I just hardly ever fought field battles. :v:

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Deified Data posted:

Trying to initiate a siege of Marienburg in the mini-campaign and it keeps crashing. I don't have any out of date mods enabled. Can my PC just not handle the number of units on screen? I have 2 hordes and 2 brayherds attacking at once.

This happened to me with basically the same setup (at the Mega-Battle of Marienburg, amusingly, in the Grand Campaign), but I'm also behind on graphics drivers, so maybe the other goon's suggestion is worth pursuing!

Edit: except I probably don't even have DX12, so never mind? I suspect the brayherds are part of the problem.

Meanwhile: Stirland is the last target human faction standing, and amusingly, they've settled a chunk of Border Prince turf, so my campaign will end where it began: torching Northeast Not-Italy.

Or, it would end there, except I need to level Khaz a bit before the Fall of Man questbattle, so I'll probably durdle around the New Kingdoms of Man a bit (Bastonne, Estalia, and Mousillon have inherited the Earth :v: ) while Archaon gets his poo poo pushed in by the Dwarven superpower.

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Jul 30, 2016

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

The Fall of Man questbattle is, uh, not very hard with a pile of veteran minotaurs (including the four max-level shieldotaur units that were Malagor's buddies pretty much all game). The only part of the human lines that didn't immediately get crushed to a pulp in the charge phases was Franz's elite core with Franz in support, and that didn't go especially well for him when the minotaurs that just vaporized his left flank wheeled around.

I'm pretty confident I could have flattened it without the allied brayherd.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

SickZip posted:

-Ungor Archers are surprisingly respectable.

Oh yeah, they were stack-filler for me all the way through the game. Cheap as chips, great flankers, and only somewhat less killy than melee Ungors provided you're paying enough attention to order a countercharge if/when enemy melee troops are moving to hit them.

1-2 Cygors are fantastic for drawing defensive enemy forces out of their position, but frankly, you can probably just have Brayshamans whistle up a few and spend the money on More Minotaurs.

Edit: relatedly, one more reason to pick Malagor: it takes one level fewer to get Summon Cygor, and your shamen pop out of the box with Devolve.

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Jul 30, 2016

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

drat Dirty Ape posted:

So does anybody else have bugged achievements? I only have one mod, but I'm not sure how a mod could affect them.

I think they just switched the checks on the two beastmen campaigns (and had two identical cygor achievements, one of which they turned off).

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

I did not realize that the mini-campaign requires raiding income for victory until I burnt the very last settlement on the map.

:saddowns:

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Avasculous posted:

Yeah it would need a whole different combat system. Otherwise it would just be like banging action figures into each other and whoever has the higher numbers wins.

Staff of Channeling vampire sniper assassin :laffo:

They're ludicrous enough in actual fights.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Kainser posted:

I'll never stop using the no aggressive ai agents mod.

It sucks even harder because it's tons of fun to fight enemy agents on the battlefield but the AI hates using them like that :argh:

In my current VC campaign Balthasar Gelt brought his entire adventuring party with him to protect the claim of Karl the Pretender.

It was actually more effective than one might think, but he still got crushed by Mannfred's deathstack plus a stack of leader buffed cheapo skeletons.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Gitro posted:

Tips for Malagor's start? I want to do beastmen again on a higher difficulty and don't feel like repeating Khazrak. Just book it out of the badlands, raiding/razing the occasional settlement along the way?

Roll into the Border Princes and then go wherever is convenient - Stirland and Averland are probably the juiciest, my VH run I burned my way to Altdorf and then down through Helmgart, with a detour to krump some loving dwarves that were tailing me with agents and breaking my hidden encampments. :mad:

Edit: another option is to plow north and get ready to assist the Storm of Chaos, but really, a good beastman run involves Archaon showing up at the walls of Talabheim to see the smoke of Carcasonne rising in the distance past a scorched wasteland.

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Aug 8, 2016

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

rockopete posted:

I used to mod them out but turned them back on again after reading more about agent mechanics in this thread. They're not that hard to counter if you're prepared, especially now CA has tweaked them a bit. They're also great for levelling your own agents and unlocking skills earlier.

Seconding this, it's now an interesting strategic tidbit rather than a hellscape of goblins hiding under every non-LL's bed.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Doctor Schnabel posted:

For the purposes of unit prerequisites, are buildings within a province shared among its constituent regions? IE, will having a Haunted Forest in Eschen and Vampire Crypts in Castle Drakenhof allow me to build Varghulfs in Western Sylvania?

Yep!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Fangz posted:

Actually playing as Chaos is fast and fun, it's just difficult for people to understand what you are supposed to do, whereas Beastmen play more intuitively. Beastmen are basically the slow steady clearing of the map, whereas Chaos is intended to penetrate deep and hard and keep always 1 step away from certain failure.

See, Beastmen are better at infiltration too what with their Hidden Camp thing and the ability to loot and raze in a single turn. :saddowns:

The two things Chaos has going for it are better unstoppable god-kings, and the ability to carefully nurture the northern tribes and have them do the work for you.

...Except the Beastmen get the northern tribes trashing the Empire many games anyway and the NPC Storm of Chaos besides. :geno: So really it's just "Kholek and Sigvald can out-punch Khazrak before eating a devolve to the face and getting squashed by fifteen minotaurs".

• Locked thread