Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene
I disagree with the OP assessment about Empire spearmen. They seem to be only slightly worse than swordsmen against infantry and have less upkeep, which matters when running multiple stacks. They make fine chaff with tech/lord bonuses and are probably the best chaff vs Chaos in particular, given all their cavalry and large targets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene
My legendary Empire campaign has become very fun. Middenheim went and conquered half the Empire and then just felt like confederating with me, because why not? So I have most of my territory already since I took the western and southern Empire provinces. I'm friends with Nordland and Kislev who are pretty strong. The first Chaos wave has come down from the wastes and is completely curbstomping Nordland, Ostland and Kislev. I have one army in Kislev right now fighting off Chaos stacks with handguns, spears and mortars; it's basically Zulu but with Norscans.

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene
IIRC, Blood Dragons are the type of vampire they are, and Blood Knights are a whole unit of lesser Blood Dragon vampires. They are almost a regiment of hero-level models in the TT.

I don't see anything regarding weird reinforcement directions.

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene
DX12 gave me another 25 FPS in the benchmark. I'll take it!

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene

xthetenth posted:

What card, what cpu and what framerate before?

R9 290 and Xeon E3 1230. Previously it was 45, then went up to over 70 on ultra settings.

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene

Deified Data posted:

So as Empire does the AI usually break all pacts and chain war declarations on you from all corners of the globe around turn 40 or so? All I did was take out Middenland.

Unless you carefully manage diplomacy on higher difficulties, Empire have a really bad time. But it's actually very straightforward, just shove gold down their pants constantly until you get a couple treaties for the passive diplo relations bonus. Given your central location you'll just get random war decs whenever. On my legendary campaign I spent the first 20-40 turns just getting all of the west and north sweet with me through endless bribing so that I could finally expand east. I actually never conquered another Empire faction besides Marienburg and confederated the entire Empire eventually.

Mukip fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Jul 1, 2016

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene
What do you think about the special Middenheim building that lets you recruit vetted spearmen? IIRC, it doesn't apply to swordsmen or halberdiers.

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Holy poo poo. This game is legitimately kicking my rear end on normal difficulty, which hasn't happened in a looong time with any RTS game for me.

I think i'm getting the basic combat mechanics down but the strategic metagame is giving me real problems.

As empire, how do people generally expand out?

Approximately where should I be / what should I be doing by turn 50? Turn 100? What's "endgame" ?

Biggest thing is getting the Dwarfs and Bretonnia on side, while deciding which Empire neighbours you'll confederate/conquer after conquering Marienburg. Declaring war on the nearest Orc faction is a good way to get free diplo points with both of the nearby Dwarf factions, and giving them some gifts on top of that is a quick way to get a non-ahggresion pact which makes them much less likely to suddenly attack you early game.

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene

Onmi posted:

God loving drat it Talabecland! Stop declaring war on everyone and then backing out of it leaving me to fight them all!

And I can't break the alliance because otherwise everyone thinks I'm an oathbreaker. Not just stuck with a retard!

Yeah, screw Talabecland. They are bordered by a lot of factions and often lose wars. You shouldn't form a defensive alliance with them ever (or with most factions, really).

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene
Sometimes Bretonnia or Nordland will declare war on Marienburg, and and their armies will clear out of the city to go fight. Then you can do a sneaky wardec and storm Marienburg.

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene
Yeah, Marienburg hates you at the start and they maintain a large army relative to their size. If you don't conquer them early on then you're gambling on them not suddenly razing half of Reikland while you're busy elsewhere.

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene
You can just bribe them. A small gift every turn will get you there eventually. Sounds dumb, but it's better than having to personally hold off the Skaelings all game.

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene
TT Black Orcs definitely relied on winning combats by doing the most damage, because they were too expensive to form a very large unit. The shield option was mainly useful against missiles and rarely used in melee.

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene
Baleful Realmgate™

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene
My main concern about this game is how long they are going to make us wait for a reinforcements fix. I would be appalled but not surprised if they waited all the way until the next DLC was ready.

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene
Khazrak has a goat eye.

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene
What are heroes good for killing in multiplayer? I considered sending my griffon general after some demigryph knights but I'm not sure if it's a good idea.

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene
I start building a second stack on the third turn to defend Grunberg against Orcs in case they show up, while Franz is off doing the quest battle or finishing off the secessionists.

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene
Apparently the reinforcement issue won't be fixed in the next update :(

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene
I've tried the new Heblaster in MP. Aside from mowing down armoured infantry, it can also participate in archery duels now while staying somewhat further back.

I cannot beat Orcs or Bretonnia as Empire. Orcs just win every individual fight against my units and overwhelm me, whereas Bretonnians have a really strong mobile air force backed up by huge numbers of peasants.

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene

Yukitsu posted:

Got any replays? I may be able to toss in some advice for you there.

Sure. These are my present set ups against Brets and Orcs.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxL-q9Tcsh-aMDFXai1GRHkxSVk/view?usp=sharing

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene
Is there anything better than bringing a bigger artillery train than the Dwarves, blowing up their cannons, and forcing them to trudge across the open ground under a hail of shot? I humbly suggest that there is not. It's because you know they have no cavalry or anything, so they really do just have to suck it up and march into the jaws of hell. :agesilaus:

Mukip fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Aug 1, 2016

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene
Net of Amyntok. Yes, your Blood Knights can just sit there for 50 seconds and get cut to ribbons by handgunners, cannons and halberdiers. I've no idea what Empire would be supposed to do without this spell.

Game rocks.

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene
I heard they were doing monthly DLC. They did a minor FLC/DLC with Blood Knights and Blood&Gore. Then they came out with Beastmen. So a minor DLC is due this month and then probably Wood Elves next month according to rumours.

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene
How did the goon tournament go? I wasn't paying attention to it, but if there was another I'd like to play.

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene
It's just common sense.

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene
I'll do it, then! Mukip's Grand Tournament sign ups begin now. Let's give it a week.

So far it looks like we have:
*Mukip
*Asmodai_00
*Vox Nihili
*Yukitsu
*Mr. Wookums
*Obstacle2
*Triskelli
*rockopete
*ZearothK
*Kaza42
*Trujillo
*ZoninSilver
*420 Gank Mid
*Captain Beans
*ClassicFascist
*ubercrunchy

Oh yeah, I'm banning double healing potions.

-------------

We have 16 players now so I'm going to start early. Could still use some backups if case somebody pulls out, though.

Rules are as follows:
Funds: Large
Timer:40 minutes
Map: Karak Azgal for the first round
House rules: No more than one healing item on the same character. Max 3 heroes including your lord.

First round matchups will be:

rockopete - Trujillo (http://steamcommunity.com/id/Sammvt)
Obstacle2 - ClassicFascist
Mr. Wookums - ubercrunchy
Asmodai_00 - Yukitsu
Mukip - Triskelli
Kaza42 - 420 Gank Mid
ZearothK - ZoninSilver
Captain Beans - Vox Nihili

I should probably have required people to post their steam games names, but :shrug:. Post em' or PM me and I'll update the list.

The winner of Mukip's Grand Tournament will have earned an incredible prize: A drawing of a cup (you can imagine it is a as Champions Cup if you like) in addition to a bonus .gif of an amusing dog that I once downloaded onto my hard drive. The runner-up will get a consolation prize: a highly artistic drawing of a quadrilateral plane.

Mukip fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Aug 12, 2016

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene
Gelt sucks, but his units are better than Franz overall. Frans just gets Reiksguard and then a pair of mid-game units that aren't useful early on, whereas Gelt's units are all good for causing mass routs in tandem. The Greatswords and Mortar do lots of damage to light infantry and the Outriders can quickly ride around to the rear and shoot engaged enemies in the back. Once you've routed the rest of the army, the enemy lord will rout very easily if he takes some damage. So use Greatswords to finish the lord off in the latter stage of the battle but try to avoid him early on. I'd consider taking Gelt's units and then ditching him for a generic lord.

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene
It could be Kragg the Grim, who is another Runelord character in the vein of Thorek Ironbrow, but who doesn't have the disadvantage of being stuck with an immobile object, so I could imagine them adding him instead of Thorek.

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene
That means we're five players away from a 16-player tourny. I'll start early if we get that many.

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene

Olive Branch posted:

Depending on when the tournament is being held, I may or may not be able to join in.

Well, we have 14/16 players now so I may start doing it within the next few days.

As for list building, I was going to just let people tailor their faction and list to whatever they felt like during game creation, since that's part of the ranked game style to which I am now accustomed. But being forced to stick with a single race and list would provide an alternate type of challenge I suppose. Do you think all of the factions are able to create all-comers armies like that?

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene
Steam Tanks can pivot and shoot, so they are good against flyers and flanking cavalry. They do well against things like Vargheists and Blood Knights if left alone for a while to shoot, and then they are decent melee monsters. They are terror causing and unbreakable so you can try to cause a mass rout in the front on the battle line, or head off rear attacks by enemy cavalry by barreling into them. They do a bit of everything.

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene
We have 16 players now so I'm going to start early. Could still use some backups if case somebody pulls out, though.

Rules are as follows:
Funds and unit size: Large
Timer:20 minutes. No stalling or evasive behaviour for the sake of achieving a draw.
Map: Karak Azgal for the first match. The loser decides what map to play in subsequent rounds.
Best out of three matches to decide the winner of each round. Post the replay and/or send them to me at muukip@googlemail.com

House rules:
*No more than one healing item on the same character
*Max 3 heroes including your lord.
*No corner camping
*Max one summon creature spell per army

First round matchups will be:

rockopete (http://steamcommunity.com/id/guderian/) - Trujillo (http://steamcommunity.com/id/Sammvt)
Obstacle2 - ClassicFascist
Mr. Wookums (http://steamcommunity.com/id/ThymeForHerb) - ubercrunchy (steamcommunity.com/id/caedwalla)
Asmodai_00 - Yukitsu
Mukip (http://steamcommunity.com/id/Muukip) - Triskelli
Kaza42 - 420 Gank Mid
ZearothK (http://steamcommunity.com/id/adievko/.) - ZoninSilver (http://steamcommunity.com/id/ZoninSilverflame/)
Captain Beans - Vox Nihili ( http://steamcommunity.com/id/VoxNihi1i)

I should probably have required people to post their steam games names, but :shrug:. Post 'em or PM me and I'll update the list so that you can organize your matches.

The winner of Mukip's Grand Tournament will have earned an incredible prize: A drawing of a cup (you can imagine it is a as Champions Cup if you like) in addition to a bonus .gif of an amusing dog that I once downloaded onto my hard drive. The runner-up will get a consolation prize: a highly artistic drawing of a quadrilateral plane.

Mukip fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Aug 16, 2016

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene
I was thinking of making it best of three, with the loser choosing a new map in subsequent rounds.

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene
Mainly because I don't know how the first one was organized.

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene
Okay, thanks. I'll borrow a few points from that and add them to mine. I'm not going to make people play different factions in this one, though.

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene
I use Google Drive. I've added my email address to the post so that people can send them to me.

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene
Here's the first set of matches I was sent between Yukitsu and Asmodai_00. I forgot that he was a MP newbie so I might have had him face somebody else otherwise.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxL-q9Tcsh-abUpaX0JjUXEzMXVoejdkNjFFeFd0WmYwV3FZ/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxL-q9Tcsh-adGl4eXpWcHd6WGdLTU8xcW5MVV85UmdmS1Fj/view?usp=sharing

Here we see Yukitsu in his native element: clubbing baby seals with Wind of Death. And so passes Asmodai_00, son of Asmodai_0; you were too innocent for this world :3:

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene
I played my rounds vs Triskelli. Empire vs Dwarfs and Bretonnians vs Orcs. I am advancing to the next bracket and am a step closer to awarding myself my own fabulous prizes. Replays:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxL-q9Tcsh-aMG5hSzlrTFJqMUU/view?usp=sharing

One of the themes of these matches was vanguard deployment accidents. Also I played on ultra size by accident.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene
Verify your files in Steam after you've unsubscribed to them as well.

• Locked thread