Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I'd constantly have a single vampire lord survive 1vs500 and win a fight after I lost a army because of all the self healing available and the fact they can barely get a couple swings off before they run away.

It's a shame necromancers are so underwhelming, I thought they would of had some bonuses to raising dead in fights but the vampires can do that while also being unkillable.
Lore of death is absurdly strong, but I love the lore of vampires healing and zombie/skeleton creation spells, a swarm of zombies cropping up behind a engaged line can be a serious morale hit.

I'm hoping a patch or mod down the line I could just run around with a handful of necromancers in a army and create a swarm every battle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I'm a bit disappointed that from what people described of hellcannon, that they aren't just big monsters with a tendency to go berserk like elephants and have a long range artiliery shot power.

Instead being just reskinned cannons that can be broken apart.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Crypt horrors just seem like trolls upgraded in every aspect and without a morale penalty, and then poison attacks tacked on, all for the same cost or cheaper then actual trolls.

They really should cost 50% more.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Weissritter posted:

Reading through the thread I have a feeling a lot of people renamed Mannfred's starting Vargulf to Fluffy.

As did I :v:

I came to the same conclusion and probably a high percentage of people who used renaming renamed the vargulf to fluffy.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I think the Helm of Discord might be one of the stronger items in the game and quite possibly overpowered.

-15 armor, -36 melee defense -34 melee attack for 33 seconds in a AOE, recharges in 45 seconds after it wears off, but the catch is it only recharges while your in combat.

I'm not exactly sure what every point does and how much each point weakens the enemy percent-wise, but that's more then enough to lower most early game units to 0 in attack and defense and I'm pretty sure they aren't going to be hitting anything or blocking anything with stats that low.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I feel like there might be too many underwhelming or "trap" skills on Lords and could contribute to the AI being weaker as the game goes on and lords gain levels.

A example from confederating and taking over two dwarf lords just now.

One had full combat skills without foe seeker unlocked, he had 3 points in charge for +9 total damage on a charge and 3% personal weapon damage against greenskins only.

The other had 6% chance of intercepting underway armies, -1 siege holdout time (when they can hold for 15 turns) and +3 leadership during underway battles.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Mazz posted:

Dwarf lords also get that sick ability to put down 15% attrition damage every turn in a siege, when arguably they need something like that the least.

Against a high level garrison and full stack defended town, that is like 400 casualties a turn.

I'd love something like that as vampire counts, the dwarves and the massive amount of siege in every army? not so much.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Deified Data posted:

So I tried starting my second campaign as VC and something was...off. I didn't like how reliant you were on chaff in the beginning, and none of the units I tried felt different enough. Mannfred is badass and I see how he could become a powerhouse later down the line, but I don't know how I feel about a lord carrying their whole army. I mostly suck at this game so I'm sure I'm missing something that makes the VC so interesting and popular, so maybe I'll get them when I try again later. I'd like to complete everyone's campaign if possible.

Dwarfs, though. I'm only 4 turns in and I can already tell I'm going to love them. I started as Orcs so it's nice being on the other side of downhill Quarreler and Grudge Thrower fire for a change. Who needs cavalry and flanking when you can just force your enemy to run The Gauntlet.

Take over the western and eastern sides of slyvania within the first 5 turns, turn one or two of the vampire factions into vassals to protect you and trade with you, I stick what remains of templehof in that little fort observer town and keep the main city for my buildings, you can still have a province edict with vassals holding territory, they might backstab you but you can just subjugate them again if they do.

From there, you can turtle up and build grave guards, vargheist, crypt horrors or cairn wraiths, they do not require a lot of buildings or money to get started.

Once you got your power troops in a couple of armies and have them backed up by cannon fodder, you can go any direction you want, I went after the dwarves because they can become a nuisance and make your homeland unsafe, while I took them out the empire had a lot of in-fighting and I washed over them with a tidal wave of dead by the time I was done with the dwarves.

Besides that, on turn 1 just be sure to build a goldmine and recruit a second vampire lord and start getting him skeletons, once you got eschen destroy the barracks in your capital since they only go up to tier 3.

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Jun 9, 2016

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Question, how easy would it be to mod skill trees if you wanted to remove entire sections of filler skills or double/triple the effects per point you put in?

There are some skill points that are way above the rest and some that I don't even know why you would consider like in the combat section, the choice of 30% health or +9 charge, but the AI values both the same so your lords will become specialized murder machines and their lords will be picking their noses with -3% recruitment cost on the third moon of june.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Today I learned if your charging up a hill and your infantry gets hit by something that sends them flying, like chariots or cavalry, everyone who fell a lethal distance from the impact will die.

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Jun 10, 2016

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
They were right to not make you keep track of cooldowns on every single unit in your army, Rome 2 had a bunch of cooldowns to press on every single unit and it was just annoying.

The most I'd want to see would be a once-per battle ability on top tier monsters, like a dragon with a breath attack, don't toss in shieldwalls and flaming arrows just because.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
The slayer king definitely has to be the best start for a dwarven campaign, doesn't take long at all before he can take on armies by himself.

I'd send him out alone ahead of the army and when the enemy completely surrounds him I'd order the catapults to fire at his position :black101:

He got 650 kills taking on the garrison of drakenhof and poofing the ghosts with his magic axe, finishing the battle with 10% HP with a potion of healing, 20% ward save and a helm of discord.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Having trouble getting a empire game off the ground on very hard, 10 turns in and dwarves/orcs are taking turns razing my starting province and I have no less then 5 full enemy stacks on every side because everyone started with imperial distrust and they are just marching across eachothers territory to get a piece of me.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Checkerboard formation should really be self explainatory just based on the name.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Chomp8645 posted:

After playing a decent bit of multiplayer yesterday I really feel like magic is in a bad place in that area. Most spells are useless, and the ones that are good are way to good. Death magic is the big offender but not the only one. Everyone knows about spirit leech and how it can turn most matches into a hero snipe duel.

But Fate of Bjuna is possibly even worse. There are units that can be one click deleted by it. Outriders will be destroyed from full health with one cast. Hexwraiths, which cost 1500g, are deleted by one cast of Fate of Bjuna. For 13 mana. A loving Steam Tank will go down to 3 or 4 casts of spirit leech, which might sound like a lot but is only 24 mana in total. 24 mana to kill a 2200g unit. That's a the real problem with magic right now. Spirit leech and other snipe make any investment into a non-sniping general a liability. Fate of Bjuna nullifies many elite units. These combine to drive players towards boring rosters or lose. Cavalry over 1000g is not viable against a death mage. Single model units are an extreme risk.

And honestly they don't even need to necessarily reduce the potency of these spells to balance them. Increasing the cost of some spells might do it. Or reducing the range. Or a combination. All I know is that deleting expensive units with one click, for not that much mana, from gunshot range or more is just terrible.

I'd say that across the board direct target needs to be nerfed in some way. A lot of buff and AOE spells aren't actually bad per se, it's just that they are not worth it when when you can use that mana to just click-delete enemy units and heroes from the battlefield.

Disclaimer: all analysis above is from Large unit size. I have both done and received everything described.

It's funny because before release several of us were posting about how spirit leech and fate of bjuna looked stupidly overpowered just point and click deleting high priced units with multiple casts per battle, but got told you can't tell the balance just from looking at videos of it.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Ravenfood posted:

People were also saying this about the various vortex spells though too, so.

They actually did damage in the early pre-release footage, they just got nerfed to hell as mentioned earlier.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Chariots tend to be awful in total war games, unless you can constantly keep them moving in which case they will murder everything, if they ever get bogged down in the infantry blob or unmovable horses they are as good as dead.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Had chariots charge my dwarves while the dwarves were moving uphill, everyone who got sent flying by the impact died from the fall, 40 out of 60 dwarves dead instantly.

Grimgor has some crazy stats, he can get more weapon damage then even Kholek by a fair amount.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Was checking mods on the steam workshop, there is a mod to make Mannfred stronger because he is a "ancient vampire" because he can't already able to solo armies hard enough I guess?

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Go force the nearby orcs to hand over their territory one way or the other, then send your WAARGHs over to the dwarves once you got enough fightiness.

Use lots of arrer boys against the dwarves.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
On another MP note, lords are just downright overpowered, especially vampire counts.

Try a custom battle of mannfred, some vampires and a lot of wights with zombies to screen and tire out the enemy, I have not found a army comp that can handle it since they all send a dozen units flying with every swing and regenerate with magic and their abilities mean they never, ever get tired no matter how long the battle, meanwhile the enemys top tier stuff is exhausted wiping out a zombie or two.

Best chance to beat it would be lots and lots of witch hunters, demigryphs and greatswords.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Any suggestions for getting a Very hard Empire off the ground? everyone hates me I can't really afford a second stack and I have no idea what direction to go after quickly wiping out the secessionists.

Plus it feels like I'm stuck with trash units for awhile compared to vamps being able to take a stroll over to the latest battlefield and collect the high tier dead.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Beat a Long very hard empire campaign by turn 120, heres the rundown of how it went for me.

Turn 1-20, restarting over and over until I could get into a situation where every single neighbor wasn't sacking my starting area within 5 turns of beginning, had success getting a second lord early then going north to middenheim after spending awhile sacking the orc city to the west for early levels and money, then once middenheim was finished I could get confederations from factions about to die and had enough experienced armies to take out marienburg while their armies were away fighting bretonnians.

Turn 21-99 was playing like the chaos warriors, I was running up to -5000 gold per turn and I could barely keep everything under control with 5 or 6 armies, a couple dedicated just to beating up rebels which was a big source of gold and hero items/levels.

As soon as I beat back the first waves of norse raiders and had some breathing room I went on the offensive and sent my strongest lord next to Franz to sack the norse settlements and then raze them, it was a MAJOR help since it slowed down the raiding ships, once the nords on the north coast confederated I sent their army to help sack the vaegs despite the extra gold I had to pay in upkeep.

Around turn 70 I rushed down the vampires because I was sick of corruption and made fast friends with the northern dwarves, if you want a ally when everyone hates you, go after someones arch enemy.

Turn 99+ the final chaos invasion happened, which meant that Shield of Civilization happened, it was pretty much impossible to lose at that point, every faction still in the game stopped hating me, the dwarves stopped sacking and razing my cities and suddenly single human and dwarf faction gave me trade routes military alliances and became my vassals and then sent multiple stacks to the north to fight the chaos.

That was the first turn I was making positive gold since the start.

A large amount of the fights during the campaign were auto resolves, but I had a couple actual fights that came down to the wire, once fighting the drakenhof garrison on a field and the army and lords and heroes surviving by 1% and then the final fight with Archaeon/Kholek against just Franz, it came down to Karl bashing the hellcannons and cavalry himself while the infantry struggled to hold on, the light wizard net was invaluable and it ended with everyone at 1% again and getting the achievement for beating a army that costs twice your own armies cost.

The entire campaign I used nothing but armies of swordsmen/spears/crossbows with every lord rushing for honest steel with eventually a warrior priest in every stack specced for army healing, any siege equipment I got in my armies was from beating rebels and getting lucky with taking their mortars and rockets, it was all I needed and all I could ever afford but it did wonders for the auto resolve.

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Jun 20, 2016

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Choyi posted:

Almost ended up writing up a huge rant about my first attempt at Empire campaign on Legendary, instead I'll just sum it up into "gently caress the endless zerg swarm that is the Skaelings".

What I did was after I killed the first fleet I had a general for the rest of the game encamped in the frozen north sacking and razing every city, they can't pump out raiding stacks as fast if they are losing cities and needing to use some of them to defend settlements.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
It was weird trying Karl Franz quests after the other lords, everything he has to do is very close by, agents just need to deploy in the starting province or nearby, no 20 turn hikes with your one agent for the first step of your 6 part quests, they were just 2-3 steps long and I didn't even need to teleport because Karl was always a turn away from the location.

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Jun 21, 2016

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

madmac posted:

lol, Darrentw playing VH Radius on stream, entire army gets wiped except Ungrim, puts the game on 2x speed for 10 minutes while Ungrim nearly solos the entire enemy army. "Uh, I don't think I want to play this mod anymore."

That doesn't sound far off from my vanilla experience witha combat lord.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Would it be possible to win as a empire campaign just turtling in your starting area for the first 100 turns, then use the shield of civilization when archaeon shows up to confederate and ally everyone?

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Josef bugman posted:

See what is everyones opinion on Ungrim Iron Fist, because I basically found that he can hold up an entire flank of enemy troops on his own.

He is great to start with because he can take on armies by himself while the grudge throwers shoot at everything around him, and if you miss the other guy he will show up after only 8 grudges are settled.

Surprise Giraffe posted:

I wonder what to do with Manfreds last points. I've almost maxed out his combat skills and got the zombie dragon. Only got the defensive skills left. But maybe I should get the regen spell from the nehek line. He wont miss 5 melee defense, surely

Go lore of death, skipping the purple sun of uselessness, grab all the lore of vampires for the decent buffs/debuffs and most importantly even more power reserves, you'll barely have enough points left over to grab combat buffs and a point in the first red and blue lines.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Deified Data posted:

I'd recommend downloading a Slayer buff to make Ungrim's starting bonus a bit more useful. It's a sin that Slayers are as bad as they are and it feels like a huge oversight.

Slayers are wonderful against anything as big as a horse or larger, but they are downright useless against normal enemies.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

ChickenWing posted:

I really feel like slayers should cost significantly less and be an earlier-tier unit.

That's their main issue, huge price point and in the campaign needs a tier 4 and 3 building to use along with 2 turns to recruit.

They are murder machines against anything large but they are very disposable and die like flies even with the missile resistance.

If they were tuned down a tiny bit but they cost 600g and 1 turn from a single anti corruption building, they would be pretty good to have around for their one job of being sent at some giant gently caress-off monster.

But it's hard to justify bringing them along when you could just bring something else in their price range.

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Jun 25, 2016

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
A problem with the campaign right now is you can sorta cheese your way through by getting a couple armies of low tier swords spears and ranged and auto resolve your way through the hardest battles.

So long as you don't use any interesting units, the auto resolve will always go in your favor.

On the bright side, they mentioned they are going to work on the auto resolve to finally fix the issue of small units being murdered that has been a problem as far back as rome 1, maybe even the previous titles but I wouldn't know.

Bit of a problem in a game of giant monster units if their auto resolve formula brings them to 1 HP against trash units every single time.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Global recruitment should really lose the turn time increase, the doubled cost and lack of building and province bonuses is enough of a hindrance without making you wait 4-6 turns for a decent unit.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Deified Data posted:

Decided to pick up my VC campaign again after all - I don't like leaving it at a short victory unless the long terms are just stupid, like for Dwarfs.

What was so bad about the dwarf long victory? I just finished one where the final chaos lord armies invaded by turn 68 once I took over the entire badlands, had a short victory by 90 and a long victory by 100 by the time my armies settled the final northern lands.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Deified Data posted:

And they're Top Knotz savages? If so they're still in the game at turn 146.

I had completed every condition for the long victory except clear all grudges, and the only grudge I had left was to level an engineer to 15. I didn't have an engineer recruited at the time so I'd have started from nothing. It wasn't compelling enough to sit around sack-spamming a weak settlement for an hour.

In the future I'll just recruit an engineer early and be prepared, since they're actually really good heroes for my playstyle.

I never got that grudge, guess that explains it.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Dre2Dee2 posted:

I am slowly coming to the conclusion that Schwartzhaven might be one of the toughest places to hold in the entire game. It's just seems to be at a nexus where dwarves/orcs/empire will often go first to attack you when are VC. It's also 1 turn away from a few nearby settlements, so if the AI possess any of them (like Averland), they can take their full stack fresh from the city right to your doorstep. This make the other 2 pieces of the province that much weaker as well, as you just constantly struggle to control all 3 territories. Unless you build walls fast, this place just gets razed all the loving time. I think it's just better to leave it as smoldering ruins and move on to greener pastures.

I found it far better to subjugate those guys, one minor city is such a small thing to give away in exchange for a trading partner that gives you tribute per turn and 1-2 upkeep free standing armies to deal with any nearby threats.

Plus you still technically own the full province if they are your vassal and what else do you really need that minor city for?

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Units with a "expendable" tag have to be the most fun total war units around.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Necromancer to reduce the cost of the goldmine tiers in your capital, and then to reduce the cost of getting to T4 cities with vampire crypts, they are expensive but your best income source and best agents, vamps also have amazing growth.

I'm finding T3 minor settlements not to be worth the pop cost in delaying the capital going to 4, but 1 pop cost to go from 1 > 2 is pretty good.

The minor has to have a really good reason to go to T3 or a need to get access to walls I've found, that pop just gets wasted if it ends up sacked.

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Jun 29, 2016

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Can you opt into a beta patch or got to wait for the patch to come out?

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
What kind of events is the blood DLC adding to the campaign?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
There any good agent mods for the latest patch, or did the patch do enough to fix agents swarming over your lands and spamming actions against you?

• Locked thread