Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
I started a new VC campaign and been trying the "Emigrate to Tilea" strategy. Worked fine, but it's really slow, which added to the slower peace of the VCs gameplay it has been trying my patience. I'm around turn 104 and I own 4 full provinces (Tilea, Estalia and 2 in Brettonia). Archaon has recently spawned, so I should finish Brettonia as quickly as possible and join the fight in the Empire lands, but the remaining provinces are so heavlily guarded that will be a pain in the rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
Something funny happened in my VC "emigration to Tilea campaign" (hard difficulty).

Had good ol' Mannfred conquering what's left on Brettonia, got Parravon and Montfort, turn 120-something, the Empire is still alive and pretty strong, so Chaos seemed to be doing a lousy job. My plan was to wipe out Brettonia and then slowly crawl my way up north, to Altdorf, but suddenly, Chaos happened:

Fricking Archaon and his cronies Kholek and Salthorael appeared, killing King Louen on the process. Didn't had any warning about this, Altdorf still stands, Nuln is untouched and Middenheim is still whole, why the heck are this assholes are here? To get it clear, this fuckers have just beelined for my position this entire time, only razing whatever settlements there were in their way. Sure, travel across the entire Empire to go after the undead in the far corner of the map like damned guided missiles, not even the strongest faction. Good move, game.

In the next few turns, hilarity ensued.

My banshee squad of hit-girls assasinated Kholek and Salthorael. Just like that, all their training fending off Brettonia's agents have finally paid off.

Kholek's ex-army laid siege to Parravon (I had half a stack there) with the other two nearby to assault (eating attrition due to vampiric corruption).

To make a long story short, with some maneauvering around and some baiting, managed to lure away Archaon and the other stack away from the city and from each other. The half stack and the garrison of Parravon (a level 5 city) made a sally and massacred the crippled stack, then moved in to support my main army attacking Archaon.

Not even a contest.

The poor sod and his army were already injured due to their fight with Louen, my vargheist knocked him around until Mannfred came to deal the final blow.

A few more fights to wipe out the rest and that would be the easiest Chaos invasion in history.

Seriously, five doomstacks crossed the entire map straight up for me?

Welp, first things first, my hit-girls assasinated Kholek again. And all their armies tried to siege Parravon.

Then I made a dumb greedy mistake, I used my half stack to wipe out a crippled army outside the city and use Mannfred and his boys to garrison the city. Then the AI used one of the armies lead by one of the generic Chaos Lords to attack my small army and couldn't outrun them. Except it wasn't a Chaos Lord anymore, but loving Archaon again, who appears to get out of the hospital and substitued the lord inmediatly. Sigh, my poor army was gonna get wipe out and it had 3 heroes. Dammit.

Their army is choke full of chosen and knights, so no way in hell I'm winning this battle. Gonna try to do as much damage as possible.

Surpisingly, Archaon the Everfailure, being the tactical genius he is, decided that he and his cavalry charging ahead of their foot troops was a good idea. A liberal use of spirit leech (death lore is OP) and a dogpile by my heroes and Archaon was dead. Again. But that did not stop the rest of the Chaos army, who quickly murdered my entire army. Except my lord and the three heroes, who endured.

And brutally slaughtered everyone they could and sent the rest running like the lap dogs they are :black101:

Couldn't believe my eyes. Godammit VC heroes are mega OP. That should be the end of it, but no, because I'm super dumb.

Didn't get them far away enough and Sigvald's army jumped on them inmediately. And that battle was even harder than before.

My entire army, deployed in the corner for max cheese factor.

Of course, Sigvald got trounced almost inmediately, he was only level 4. But the enemy arrmy was huge and didn't take much morale damage from that, and then I discovered that trying to deploy in the corner may have been a double edged sword.

The sheer mass of the Chaos army pushed my heroes against the border of the map and kept them locked in a strange animationn most of the time, so they killed enemies very very slowly while taking damage.

Nearly lost Carla, because she didn't have the inmortal will skill, but she's my girl. And the King is just the tankiest tank that ever tanked. Good thing I decked all of them with magic armor and weapons. But none of this matters.

All that matters is that four stood against many, and won :black101:

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor

Kitchner posted:

Chaos Dwarfs probably won't be a thing unless they've confirmed it. They said that every army with an army book will be a faction, and the chaos dwarfs haven't had an army book.

Probably true, but we shouldn't stop believing, if we keep throwing our wallets at CA, maybe they will make Chorfs a thing.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor

natetimm posted:

It seems like I can only get my empire so big as vamps and then it goes to poo poo with rioting and rebellion. I could spend more money on infrastructure, but I made the mistake of invading and obliterating the border princes which has given Grimgor and his deathstacks a path right to my doorway.

VC's need much more time consolidating their territory due to their campaign mechanics, it's tedious as hell.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor

The Lone Badger posted:

Not nearly as good at magic as the Slaan.

To be honest, no one is as good as the frogs at magic, maybe Nagash and some greater daemons come close enough.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor

As someone else has already mentioned in the thread, when you finally defeat Chaos and get the peace event is a sweet sweet moment.

The sorry state of the world, seems I was mistaken and Chaos was very thorough, the only major cities still standing in the Empire are Altdorf and Nuln, everything else is smoking ruins. Now I only need to conquer/colonize ten more provinces, wipe out the remains of the Empire and kill the Dwarfs. With some luck, the Orcs will destroy the stunties first. God dammit, VC long campaing is long.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor

Kainser posted:

Kemmler is so bad that it has to be some intentional troll from CA. I mean come on, who can possibly look at Mannfred and Kemmler and go "yes, this seems balanced"?

Azhag is at least good once you get past his godawful start.

In the end times they revealed that Kemmler was secretly a Chaos agent all along, so gently caress him.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
I started my forst dwarf campaign, on very hard, had to restart once but the second hard but pretty awesome, will talk more about it later, but I have to share this guy:

Best name ever for a dwarf lord. Don't know why he gained that name but is :black101:

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor

Wilekat posted:

RNG traits are the stupidest loving thing.

-1 global Public Order for the whole game
-3 leadership and +5% agent success chance

On Grimgor. Seriously?

Welp, this things happens, you just gotta roll with the punches, in my current dwarf campaign Thorgrim has harsh and Likes Orcs, the later being stupid and funny as hell at the same time.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor

Decus posted:

You get Likes Orcs for sparing them for replenishment instead of killing them after battles. If you get it, you deserve it!

So far I haven't found any trait/trigger combos that I don't like such as shogun 2 or rome 2's random "you left this guy in a town for 2 turns and now he sucks" traits. Might just be that I haven't left anybody in towns very often.

Didn't know that but I've never pressed that button, not even with the Empire, so I've got no clue how he got the trait, not that it matters much what traits my characters gain, it's not as bad as Rome 2 was.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor

The Dogs of War and the regiments of renown were amazing, were the Tichi-Huichi Raiders still included in the latest suplement? I loved the models.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor

Truecon420 posted:

Also how do I get Karl Franz's demigryph mount? Do I have to waste a point in warhorse and Pegasus to unlock it, or can I get it a different way? Thanks in advance

The horse and the pegasi are prerequisites and there's no way around that, unless you use a mount, also Karl needs to be level 25. But it's worth it because it's a gryphon and kicks rear end.

Angry Lobster fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Jun 15, 2016

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
Lightning srike is indeed awesome and has done a ton of work in my very hard Dwarf campaign, underway travel is also incredibly useful as well and pretty easy to game the intercepcions to destroy whole armies. I'm in the final stage on the campaign, just mop up some vampires and colonize some lost holds and I'm golden.

Looking to play Chaos next, what's the goon consensus about starting lords? Kholek? He seems rather metal but Archafail's campaign bonuses are pretty good, plus he has a lot of quest items.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor

madmac posted:

Kholek is a great starter because he's an impossibly powerful beast from level 1 which will help you coast a long time, also he takes the longest to unlock as a secondary. His campaign bonus isn't too hot though.

Archaon is the second best choice, he takes the second longest to unlock and has decent campaign bonuses plus he's also pretty strong in those early battles.

Sigvald has the worst campaign bonuses and unlocks like 15 minutes into starting a Chaos campaign and is also the weakest in early game battles and his starting army kinda blows. There's no reason to start Siggy ever but he's a great guy to assign your second army to.

Also, if you do start with Kholek be advised that Archaons unlock requirement is 10 sacrifices, not 10 killing. It's poorly worded.

Probably gonna start with Kholek and recruit the other two later then. i'm really curious about Sigvald and his supposedly invincibility, after my experience with VC's and getting a lord+3-4 vampires and go wild beating entire armies.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
Tried a very hard chaos campaign (one restart):

Leave me alooone! Those loving dwarfs have been chasing me since turn 3-4, they don't even care about attrition, already killed one full army of them. Also, the Vargs and Skaeldirs are chasing me with all their forces too. This is hilarious and sad. They will caught me sooner or later. I can't even raze/subjugate properly because I always have 2+ stacks threatening me.

What the heck is that army.

Ok game, you win. I guess I'll play Chaos on normal.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor

Third World Reggin posted:

If the faction unlocker mod is right, trolls are the biggest things they can recruit next to chariots.

Every building they have except the one that lets them produce more and their metal wizard tower gives them a garrison as well. So a fully built town of theirs is like another one of those armies.

But their money source in towns are their city tile so each time you raid it and knock it down a peg they lose a bit cash.

Yes, but that's a regular army, and it blew my mind how they would be able to field such an army (five units of trolls with triple silver chevrons!) at that stage, along with the other armies they had. Maybe I did something wrong or the Chaos campaign it's just not as balanced.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
The best thing about Radious total conversion mod in Shogun 2 was that he divided the mod in smaller parts and people could install whatever part they were more interested in, like in my case, I've only used his tech tree and research speed mod, and it was pretty good, didn't care for the rest.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor

Arrgytehpirate posted:

Is there a reason my Karl Franz stack shouldn't just be 10 demiknights and 10 steam tanks because Jesus these units own

Upkeep and efficiency, you can probably steamroll any army with half these units and put the other half in another stack, you will be able to cover more terrain.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor

Third World Reggin posted:

lol this is going to upset so many people

Not bad I guess, but their hats are not ridiculous enough for my taste. Sure, spiky phrygian caps are a nice start, but I am a sucker for the old chorfs headpieces.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor

Arrgytehpirate posted:

Speaking of VC is it worth it to get the quest sword? My banshee is almost there, and I can almost afford a 3rd stack to leave at home for defense. I'm up to four provinces so I probably only want to leave one on my northern front and one on my western but the empire is pretty horrified of me. They just paid me 5k to stop murdering them. Was thinking of taking a raiding trip south and razing/sacking a bunch of Greenskins on the way to the sword. Or I could just teleport there?

It's a good item, but teleport to the battle, it's so far from home (it's the pillar of bone quest right?) it's never worth it to go there on foot.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor

Tehan posted:

From a pure strategy standpoint, sure, but the journey could be fun.

Maybe, but I hate dealing with the attrition mechanic for vampires, it sucks the fun out of it for me.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor

The Lone Badger posted:

Death. Life Leech and Fate of Bjuna are the only spells you'll want, and the only spells you'll need.

Overcharged Doom & Darkness is also pretty good to trigger a chain route after sniping their general.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor

Dandywalken posted:

Fourth Orc campaign complete.

Gonna try Dwarves next. Is the Grudge thing a huge issue on Normal difficulty?

It depends on your luck and how you expand. On my very hard game I found that orcs had an insane obsession with the two settlements of Barrak Varr, especially Valaya's Sorrow, I discovered that if I left it undefended they would always beeline for it, so they come in and occuppied every time. It generated a grudge, so I had an army just in range of it and recaptured every time, settling the grudge (and gaining cash). Also it let me destroy in one battle (because there's no retreat when defending a settlement) armies that I instead would have to chase around.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor

Deino posted:

His love for the Vamps really isn't so surprising if you read the first Warhammer: End Times book, Nagash. Quality not guaranteed.

The armies of the Empire are getting steamrolled by Chaos forces invading from the north. Stressed out and desperate, Gelt is approached in secret by Vlad von Carstein, who offers to teach him necromancy in exchange for his service. Gelt uses his new abilities to bolster the Imperial armies and prevent their total destruction, but as a result must remain a recluse as being a necromancer in the Empire is a one-way-ticket to getting burned at the stake.

It turned out ok for him, until Manfred went full Starscream and stabs him to death, causing the end of the world in the process.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
It's the Dark Tongue of Chaos iirc, so yeah, probably beastmen or something related.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor

President Ark posted:

possibly krell

Good catch, didn't thought about him.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor

NT Plus posted:

Orcish banter will never get old. :allears:

Ftfy.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor

madmac posted:

Something they mentioned on the stream that I don't think is in the patch notes, there's now events in the campaign that can spawn new Savage Orc hordes, instead of them being a thing that disappears forever 12 turns into the game.

God no, that's awful. In my very hard dwarf campaign, savage orcs were the strongest orc faction and survived until turn 90-something, had to chase them across the badlands to raze all their settlements. So incredibly annoying.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor

Gejnor posted:

Im so sorry..

:froggonk:

I need to finish my campaigns before this hits.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
Crypt horrors have always been great, I mixed them with regular infantry and worked wonders.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor

quote:

10. Immortal Will heals 24 damage every 0.3 seconds instead of 12 damage every 0.5 seconds.

This is busted. :stare:

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
I'm a bit sad that the patch lowered the willigness of the AI to intercept armies in the underway, it was a great way to catch enemy armies and destroy them in a single battle.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor

Gejnor posted:

Right okay, everyone keeps harping on how amazing the Blood Knights are, and they are good its just.. I think the new Hexwraiths post-patch are even better.

Just had two battles where it was 3x armies vs my 1x Kemmlers top tier army.

Do you play vanilla Kemmler or do you use some mod?

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor

Gejnor posted:

No spell mods on at the moment though i have my own Upgraded Legendary Lord Items mod (http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=707695876) on, but he didn't have any purpz when i did theese fights. Nehek is now amazing as it resses units with full health post patch and complements wraith units extremely well with their low hp/high physical protection.

Neat, so I assume the changes to the spells and Vampire Counts units have made Kemmler more viable. Going to try him for my next VC campaign, with your Tier IV settlement mod.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor

Yukitsu posted:

Just as a reminder to anyone in the tournament, I'll be drafting up the matches by tomorrow evening and I still need a few lists for participants. If you signed up for the tournament, read this post: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3779330&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=91#post461766598

I'm sorry, but going to drop out of this, having trouble with my internet connection (random disconnects) and I haven't figured it out yet, plus some RL issues may complicate my schedule. I apologize for the inconvenience. Posting this in the steam group, too.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor

TheChad posted:

Probably won't happen but Malakai Malakaisson as a ranged engineer lord would be cool. His level 25 mount would be an armored blimp that drops bombs.

Makaisson is awesome and would be great if they included him at some point, but there's probably more relevant character in dwarf fluff. Loved Malakai's introduction in the Gotrek & Felix novels, when he heards his name Gotrek goes apeshit : " Malakai Makaisson! The maniac" and Felix just stares and thinks: "Oh my god, if Gotrek, who's a certified nutjob calls this guy a maniac, then must be the craziest dwarf in the world".

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor

Fun matches, really liked the second one, dwarfs vs vampires, it was all good and great for the undead until Mannfred died and his army went poof!. The last match was a bit of a clusterfuck, corner camping aside, the dwarfs were completely surrounded and in a completely hopeless position and a few minutes later the entire group of brettonian infantry was gone, and it was the major part of the army, that shows that peasants aren't trustwhorthy, except the ones manning the trebuchets.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor

Grumio posted:

I've got a soft spot for Beastmen, even if the army was terrible the last few editions of warhammer TT. I like the lore and the skirmish/ambush feel of the army.
It would be neat if they gave the bulk of Beastmen units vanguard deployment, at least while in forests

Me too, they have changed a lot through the years since they decided that Chaos should not be a single army but three, to the worse unfortunately.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor

Flavahbeast posted:

does the warhammer fantasy timeline really go back 20000 years or is thorgrim confused here

Not really, only goes back 17000 years or so, when the Old Ones arrived at the planet, other life existed before that like dragons and such, but the planet was a frozen wasteland back then. Grimnir lived during the first great war against Chaos and that was much more recent than that, so dunno, probably something is wrong.

Angry Lobster fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Jul 12, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor

Safety Factor posted:

Sigmar didn't fight alongside Grimnir, Grimnir was gone way before he ever arrived on the scene. Sigmar founded the Empire like 2500 years ago though and was cool with the Dwarfs.

Agreed, the only moment Grimnir and Sigmar met is in the Age of Sigmar lore.

unwantedplatypus posted:

When you consider that fact, technology in warhammer has advanced blisteringly fast.

True, but if you consider that the Old Ones and the Slann had super high tech, like technology capable of moving the planet into a closer orbit to the sun and spaceships, the world still had a long way to go, sadly it imploded before that. However, the Slan and the lizardmen escaped the destruction of the world with said spaceships, so it was not a total loss.

• Locked thread