Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Play Orcs. Smash gits. Chop Stunties. Bash Humies. Break vamps. Humiliate the everbitch.

Waaagh!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Got a seed of rebirth and gave it to Karl Franz early in my empire campaign. The dude doesn't really need an army. All he needs is people to keep archers off him and he's golden

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Arrgytehpirate posted:

I bought this last night and my first game I lost my primary army on turn 6. As my friend put it I got "Grimgor'd." So anyone have dwarf tips?

Use a big stack and autoresolve grimgor asap. Then just focus on knocking the fucker down

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Yeah a big stack is 20 units

When Grimmy attacks he usually doesn't bring 20, so your stack will be able to beat his in an autoresolve fight. From there you just keep the pressure on and smack the greenskins down as hard as possible, because otherwise they'll be a pain in the arse the entire game.

The other orc tribes aren't half as bad.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
If anything annoys me, its wonky line of sight. Occasionally i'll have battles where i can't see the enemy unless they're right on top of me. One of them was an underway battle i took a lot of artillery for, it was a bit silly

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
By turn 70 I had conquered the entire north, awakened pretty much every tribe (at least the ones I found) and subjugated both the varg and the skaeling.

I'm currently hitting the empire, nordland, middenland and marienburg are wiped out. The empire is on its last legs, Hochland is about to fall, Kislev is down to just Kislev. Chaos was a lot easier than I thought.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I've played about 700 turns of this game (various campaigns so far) and the only campaign i've seen the beat the dwarves is when I was controlling them.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Rakthar posted:

My steam tanks are going to be coming online at turn 120, and I've defeated the chaos invasion already. What do I use them against? What do you feel was perfect about this pacing?
The harder the difficulty the later you'll get your cool poo poo. On Normal you can get cool poo poo by turn 40-60. On hard by turn 60-80. On vh+ it's turn 80-100. On vh+ it overlaps with the chaos invasion.

Man on VH+ my buds are getting their steam tanks online far quicker than you because they're prioritising that poo poo and sacking like crazy in wars their allies are fighting.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Rakthar posted:

Altdorf has a port, so that's a slot. It also gets a unique building which is a requirement for Gent, that's also a slot. If you build the armory in the capital, and you have to if you want to upgrade it past level 1, that's a slot. If Altdorf is level 5, you have occupied 3 / 5 slots. If you want to build a menagerie for gryphons, that's a fourth slot. You can't build that anywhere that isn't the capital. And if you want a shrine to Sigmar level 3 because that was your only way to recruit warrior priests, then you have a problem.

So I had an artillery school + armory problem. If it was just the artillery building it would be fine, but artillery + armory seems to require a provincial capital dedicated to steam tanks if that's what you want. You also have to know that you need both of these buildings and plan ahead - no problem once you've played a faction, awkard if you haven't. Especially if you are also building sigmar shrines / wizard colleges / armories in various places.

So yeah, you're prioritising different things and wondering why its taking so long to get all the later units. I didn't get cat mounts until after I had the tanks, I just chose to prioritise the tanks. Actually having to make a decision isn't bad game design

Rakthar posted:

I was the guy who posted that I make tons of growth buildings everywhere and they tie up slots and you explained to me that I should build less growth buildings and they wouldn't tie up my slots. Apparently I'm also the guy that needs to build more growth buildings, and then I'll have the growth I want. Hmm.

Again, this is a choice. Short term boost (you can tear them down after!) or build a couple and focus your cash somewhere else. This is good gameplay in a strategy game! You should have to make interesting choices!

dogstile fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Jun 17, 2016

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Rakthar posted:

Is it ok to want to be able to field both cat knights and Steam tanks in my Empire army, and at that point have semblance of an actual opponent to fling them at?

Or is life about making hard choices and the Warhammer videogame is gently teaching me that lesson?

Use custom battle then. You rarely have an actual opponent in the base campaign anyway if you want a legitimate gripe.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
In fact, its better to use middenland, they get a better building for them!

Rakthar posted:

That pisses me off too!

So yeah my suggestion was that making it a bit easier to build neat faction special units in the campaign that is already a pushover as you explain, and I agree with, might be fun.

That's fine, but that's not the purpose of the campaign. The purpose of the campaign is to attempt to have you make tough choices and that does happen every now and then. Removing that completely runs against that. If you disagree fine, I probably can't convince you anyway.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Sekenr posted:

And a bit of advice to new chaos players - kill norscans ASAP. They are absolute cunts and if they ask for peace it is a filthy lie, they only do it to colonize north and then send 3-4 stacks at you every turn.

I got peace with the Skaelings and spent my time loving over the varg, after which i ended up wiping out the skaelings in three or so turns. Its certainly possible

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Deified Data posted:

Anyone have an issue where Steam always says the game is running even when it's not? It's the only game in my library that does this. I have to close Steam on the task manager to play every time.

When I get this with a steam game it's always because the process is still running in the background. Just open task manager, head to processes and end the warhammer one

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Frankly posted:

My Hard Chaos campaign went really well after I awakened both Aesling and Sarl tribes. Between them they blitzed the full coast of Norsca with minimal help from me.

Of course they started murdering each other once they ran out of mutual enemies to fight but by that point I was halfway through Kislev. At that point it was just a matter of picking the winning side. Even if you pick wrongly like I did the loser should still be on pretty good terms with you so long as you didn't fight them directly.

Early surgical strikes on Reikland does sound like a lot of fun though

If you vassal them instead they would have just combined forces against the rest of the world rather than eachother!

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Archonex posted:

Also it feels like nations have hidden traits. Bearsonling is almost always doomed to die a shameful death as Chaos beneath the hordes of every other nation. Mostly because it refuses to expand.

Weird, in my Chaos game they own half the chaos wastes

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Don't overwhelm the whole line, overwhelm one part of it. Usually I have trash hold up their important units and smash the gently caress out of whatever killy units they have with the bosses.

Usually i'll take an army with artillery to get the enemies to come to me and smash up whatever their high value units are on the way. Once they get close, I charge in and aim my boss straight at theirs, backed up by whatever truly killy poo poo I have.

Everything else is ignored until that leadership aura is dead. Once it is, move you warboss into the flank and roll up the line.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
That's fine, if you can only ever build one!

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Yeah that was my point, if I was going to use it, i'd only ever use one of them and ensure that da immortulz banner was stuck on them for the entire game.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Two things really, you can either run them around to the side and have them fire into the flanks/fire at units who run away, or you can have them facing any potential cav charge, so behind the lines on the flanks, facing outwards. Keep a unit in reserve and the can help em out if they get rushed.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

The Lone Badger posted:

Can Outriders use their greater height to shoot over melee troops in a way that Handgunners can't?

Not really, the body of your mate is still like 95% of the shot, horses aren't quite that big.

They're loving great units though, Gelt's start isn't so bad, I don't really miss the Reiksguard

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
It seems kind of funny that the guy bitching about $18 for a new army used to be a tabletop player

Mate you've literally spent $100's on armies, shut the gently caress up

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Hey if you don't play the TT i'm not going to make fun of you, but if you do i'm going to laugh because this is literally about 20 times cheaper than whatever the TT guys spent on a single army, not including paint.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

I'm feeling :smug: as all hell since he mentioned that nobody should be surprised at the price right at the start

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
It's a hp thing, his spells do damage but tiny amounts to different units.

It helps, but not a lot. Gelt is poo poo

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Beastmen certainly make the empire more difficult to hold together. It's not so bad at first, then you're midway through a siege, the enemy reinforces, you break off the siege and then get ambushed during the breakaway by beastmen.

I mean I won, but that siege isn't happening for a few more turns.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Honestly the amber wizard does so loving work just by overcasting his default buff. An entire line of men charging with an extra 22% weapon damage is a hell of a thing on its own.

Can't wait to try the other spells.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Endorph posted:

dragon ogres can beat demigryphs with halberds in even one-on-one combat

Dragon Ogres are big and smash things, which is very chaos

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Tequila Sunrise posted:

edit: nevermind, just saw your guy's avatar/usernames.

Buy it or don't, man.

http://www.cdkeys.com/pc/games/total-war-warhammer-pc-cd-key-steam

Its £33 quid. That's probably a night of drinking for most of you.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Doctor Schnabel posted:

Do vassalized awakened tribes ever rebuild the razed villages in their province?

Yeah, in my last chaos game i've had three awakened tribes (including the first) take over the entire north, you just need to give them a push, build them up and once they get one, they'll start snowballing.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Gonkish posted:

Beastmen are worth it for plenty of reasons, but this is the one right at the top: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FIU6BmuHtI0

Knew exactly what this was before I clicked it

Watched it anyway

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Oh hey, that's a thing. Thanks

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Every mod Radious makes is "EVERYONE SHOULD BE ABLE TO DO EVERYTHING" which is really boring and against the spirit of the game.

Not worth it IMHO

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Choyi posted:

This is no longer good advice to do after they patched it, now if you attack right after awakening to subjugate a tribe your diplomacy rating plummets to the biggest negative and has consequences.

They patched that?

gently caress you CA. That made being up north bearable!

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

It's just animal sex, why are you loving with nature bro?

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
"An item you listed in the Community Market has been sold to Y so salty?. Your Steam Wallet has been credited 15.66 GBP."

Thank's for the DOTA tip!

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Vargs posted:

CA got this right years ago. They didn't used to have this garbage.

What made them stop, have they ever said?

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

jokes posted:

Man gently caress Karak Norn, attacking Altdorf towns right after my main army gets crushed by some other Empire provinces. Ugh.

Funny how the AI always knows when you've just lost an army.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Nanomashoes posted:

I wish there were more symbols for dwarf infantry. Everything's just got an axe above it.

I'm not seeing a problem

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

my dad posted:

Or super-Orks. The average Ork boy there is the size of a small warboss. :v:

Somehow this tidbit of warhammer lore escaped me.

Time to read up!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

ZearothK posted:

https://twitter.com/totalwar/status/790538418770022400

Those factionwide bonuses will probably make Grombrindal the Dwarf Vlad if they are like what I am thinking.

i'm particularly fond of the guy in the twitter comments for that, blaming brexit for him not being able to get a copy of white dwarf.

• Locked thread