Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

Arglebargle III posted:

Can I get some advice on the Sliver Slash battle? So many forsaken reinforcements just wear down my Warriors and chosen to nothing by the end.

Hey, I just finished this battle. My composition was a core of the 3 chosen variants, 2 chaos spawn, 1 drogres, 2 marauder cav, and 2 poison dogs, along with sigvald and a fire wizard.

The meat and potatoes of it is you need to kill those two hellcannons ASAP. I found a couple of fireballs worked best for this as they'll destroy the cannons themselves, meaning you don't have to kill the (unbreakable) crew and you don't have to risk your cav. In my case, I tried sending my marauders over first, this turned out to be a winning move for reasons I'll explain. At any rate, both forsaken armies started chasing my cav across the map, but the hounds went straight for my main force. I killed the war hounds with a combination of monsters, my own hounds, and infantry. (It's at this point I used the fireballs against the hellcannons, as some of the crew had come back). Right after this the forsaken finally killed/routed the marauders. They were out of position, and ended up attacking my line in waves, which allowed me to squeeze out a narrow victory.

Short version: Take out the arty and use some light cav to harass the enemy before they engage and prevent them from bumrushing you all at the same time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
What's weird is that using Giants to tank damage is not only misusing them, it's misusing them in the exact way a new player would.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
Sneaky stabbin is actually a really good spell because it boosts AP, something the Orc roster lacks until tier V

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
I want more quest battles for azhag and sigvald. I just want to hear them give more speeches :allears:

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
Marauder horsemen maintain their utility for a surprising amount of time. Granted this might be partially because chaos knights are rather expensive, but marauder horsemen are the unit that pistoleers should be. A competent skirmishing unit with enough melee power to take out enemy archers and siege weapons.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
In my recent chaos game I've just finished torching most of the empire, after which I'll head west and destroy...estalia :psyduck:? Apparently Estalia has taken over almost all of brettonia. What the gently caress AI?

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

KnoxZone posted:

Geez, Legendary is a rather cruel difficulty level. Being unable to play at half-speed or even being able to move the camera while paused is rough, especially when you have no mini-map. Battles with multiple stacks are going to be absurdly chaotic.

Yeah, Legendary sounds like tedious difficulty more than anything else.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
Anybody else notice the references to the Skaven sprinkled in? Grimgor makes a speech referencing his time killing "ratmen" at karak eight peaks. The disappearing population event has been noted. But I got a rare weapon drop, the description said it was forged at eight peaks and is good at killing "grobi and vermin alike."

Does this mean The Best Faction will be coming soon? I hope so. The only other factions I've seen mentioned ingame are the elves and the chaos dwarfs

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

Kitchner posted:

Chaos Dwarfs probably won't be a thing unless they've confirmed it. They said that every army with an army book will be a faction, and the chaos dwarfs haven't had an army book.

Chaos Dwarfs are already in

They crew the hellcannons for Chaos :v:

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

Klaus88 posted:

Bright wizards suck in comparison. Which is a shame, since they're the big actual battle wizards in the lore.

This is wrong, fireball is a great spell, flaming bolts is decent. The buffs are also solid.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

Angry Lobster posted:

Lightning srike is indeed awesome and has done a ton of work in my very hard Dwarf campaign, underway travel is also incredibly useful as well and pretty easy to game the intercepcions to destroy whole armies. I'm in the final stage on the campaign, just mop up some vampires and colonize some lost holds and I'm golden.

Looking to play Chaos next, what's the goon consensus about starting lords? Kholek? He seems rather metal but Archafail's campaign bonuses are pretty good, plus he has a lot of quest items.

Sigvald is a decent choice as well

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
Wait, what? How is sigvald's starting army bad? He gets a hellcannon, which is invaluable for taking on the kraka drak dwarfs

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

Warbadger posted:

Both knights and dragon ogres are pretty good, giving you some legit heavy cav options. Hellcannons are useful mostly on the strategic side of things, letting you assault walled cities immediately.

Hell cannons are super loving good. Regardless of which side they're on I usually see them get ~100 kills per battle. wtf are you doing with them that they're only useful "on the strategic level"? :psyduck:

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

Rygar201 posted:

Hellcannons own, for a lot of reasons. In field battled a battery of four Hellcannons will force just about any army to charge across the field to you, which is just hilarious. I've seen armies nearly break by the time the lines hit just from veteran Hellcannon fire on the way across the field.

They're a single piece artillery unit so if you're good at the manual fire mode you can rack up loads of kills.

They let you assault walls right away, so you're various monsters can just batter down the gate while your Hellcannons rake the walls.

Hellcannons just own.

You failed to mention that they are self- guided as well

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
So while reading up on skaven lore, I came across this gem

Known Skavenslaves

Skabbicus - the most famous slave revolt occurred in Skavenblight. Slaves from many clans rose up, following Skabbicus, a slave turned warrior, who promised a better existence. Legions of armored Stormvermin assaulted down narrow tunnels to suppress the rebellion, but the slaves held firm. They might have gained freedom had not the devious Council of Thirteen announced a pardon for any who desisted and pointed out their leader. It is said that over 10,000 Skavenslaves pointed out Skabbicus and watched their former commander get cut down and eaten. The promised pardon was quickly forgotten and the following retribution was predictably brutal. Production dropped for weeks throughout Skavenblight, but everyone ate well.

:allears:

unwantedplatypus fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Jun 18, 2016

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

Rakthar posted:

I see, thanks for your great one liners. So there's nothing you disagree with, you just think that I'm bitching about cav when I'm not.

Why do you even play the game if all you do is bitch about it?

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
The Intolerable Shitposter Grudge

Under the watchful eyes of lowtax did the goons of something awful befoul the Total War:Warhammer games discussion thread. As they raved about faulty AI and the excesses of CA, topics were derailed into oblivion, leaving naught but a burning husk

Mission:

Gas the thread and ban all offending accounts

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

Jamwad Hilder posted:

it'll be cool when they add Beastmen so that the Empire has something else to fight, as if it wasn't hectic enough already in the beginning.

New targets via beastmen might also give the empire-area orcs an actual shot at survival

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

iGestalt posted:

Grimgor, what are you doing.

One or two more appear every turn. What the hell is he doing.

Brutally kunnin'

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

Vargs posted:

The AI thinks it is playing DnD and has formed adventuring parties to take back Gorssel from the vampire menace.

They wiped.

This makes me want to do a gimmick campaign. Only allowed to recruit heroes, no troops. Garrisons are fair game.

Maybe restrict it only to single model units, get some steam tanks for the party :getin:

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

Dandywalken posted:

Anyone else hate having fun? Because if so, have I got the battle for YOU!

The 2nd army there was 80% pistoliers.

Actually it would be kind of amazing to see all that artillery fire at once

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
Grimgor is a skilled fighter, but not the most skilled. He's strong, but not the strongest. He's tough, but not the toughest. What makes Grimgor special is that he's the 'ardest, most kunnin' git there is. He's, in general, pissed off, large, and in charge.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

Kaza42 posted:

Remember a few pages back how a few people were talking about how it would be cool to be able to play an adventuring party? Just a Lord and heroes and nothing else in the campaign. Well, I went and made a mod (Just for Empire for now) that unlocks all heroes factionwide and sets the cap to 50 (also reduces the cost a little bit to make it more feasible). So go ahead and check it out here! I haven't tried it on a full campaign yet, so I don't know how viable it is long term, but it works early game pretty well

You are a gentleman and a scholar :D

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
I use pistoliers to attack enemy artillery and run down units after a battle. There's usually some worth in keeping one or two of them around until you get outriders. One thing I like doing with pistoliers is harassing VC armies. They're fast enough to kite every flyer, and due to the a ace complete lack of range they can shoot enemies from behind with impunity. Fell bats and vargheists have very little armor so they can take those down easily.

Pistoliers and outriders aren't terrible, just situationally useful right now. I think they should give a ranged damage buff to pistoliers, and a slight melee buff to both. Right now a crossbow unit can recover from a charge and route pistoliers and weaken outriders.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
Say what you will, but they managed to capture the feel of being the emperor more or less spot on.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

Deified Data posted:

That horde was apparently the last of the Top Knotz. I wonder if there's some mechanic that turns their stacks into hordes if they run out of settlements.

Can confirm this is the case. In my greenskins campaign I took out their settlements, they turned into a horde that proceeded to migrate north and loot stuff.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
Game is way too easy. Recruit Frodo and Sam> 18 giant Eagles>fly over mordor> drop ring> long campaign victory. Mordor doesn't have enough nazgul to stop you.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

Arglebargle III posted:

There better be an actual Middle Earf map you shits.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/third-age-total-war

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

xthetenth posted:

They get real weird when you have the ring.

There's a goatse joke here somewhere, but for the life of me I can't find it

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

Triskelli posted:

I've got my fingers crossed that the buff is for "Warriors of Chaos" marauders specifically, and not Norscans :shepicide:

They buffed warhound speed, so here's hoping chaos warhound a can now semi-hard counter marauders.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
Also generally when trolls route they come back after a few seconds, ready to charge into the fight again.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Couple things i wasn't sure about reading the OP --

If starting as Empire, what's a good way to build your emperor franz dude?

Any advice on the strategic map? Are non-combat victories possible?

is it worth it to hunt down and crush fleeing enemies at the end of fights or should i just let them go

I usually go through the red line with Franz. Human lords aren't super Tanky, and Franz on deathclaw is still plenty strong. Perhaps add some defensive combat skills on him.

I'm not sure what you mean with your second questions. There is diplomacy in the game with trade and allies. You can also confederate with certain factions, thus peacefully absorbing them into you.

Aside from what Nasgate said about routing troops. Keep in mind that "broken" units will probably return to the fight, while "shattered" units are gone for the battle. Thus it can be a good idea to keep chasing a broken unit if you want to keep it from returning.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

Rand alPaul posted:

After having played as the Dwarves for a long time, I started an Orc campaign and man had I grown dependent on quarrelers murdering everyone.

Greenskin ranged is pretty god drat bad, except when I played against them they were a lot more lethal.

Technically, greenskins have the best archers in the game

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

Triskelli posted:

Not true. Bretonnian archers disqualify orcs & goblins by existing.

1)Bretonnians aren't a real faction yet :colbert:

2) I'd argue that night goblin archers and goblin spider rider archers are better than the Bretonnian equivalents. Also orc arrer boyz are decent in melee.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
I'm more excited for skaven and chaos dwarfs. WWI era technology in MY fantasy universe? Hell yes :getin:

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

wiegieman posted:

Skaven: our tarpits explode.

Trench warfare without the trench

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

Triskelli posted:

Everyone freaks out over Skaven machine guns and sniper rifles, but I think Chaos Dwarfs have them beat. They've got a rocket/cannon hybrid, a flame cannon with all its stats doubled, mortars that cause mini-earthquakes, and a demonic locomotive to haul them around the battlefield. Plus they've got bayonets repeater rifles built into halberds and the world's strongest shotguns.

On the other hand, skaven have invented the radio, poison gas, bioweaponry, and genetic manipulation (or whatever the gently caress clan moulder does).

I'd say it's a tie, really

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
It's so cool playing an undead faction that actually feels undead/necromantic. Chaos invasion is in full swing. Which means massive battles, which means the ability to instantly raise entire armies. I'm also at war with nearly all of my neighbors. It's a constant multi-front war of attrition that I'm winning because I'be adequate supplies of both magic and bodies.

I also love the fact that I can outflank the enemy by summoning a unit of social justice warriors behind enemy lines.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
It shouldn't surprise you that rebels are doing well against the empire

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
Or maybe the rebels hired mercenaries?

• Locked thread