Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

madmac posted:

Dwarves are easy if you get a good start, pretty much. You have to be ready to fight Grimgor very early on, and yes, grudge spirals aren't fun, on higher difficulty especially it can cause instant mass revolts everywhere, giving you more grudges and more penalties, ect.

Once you're properly situated though it's pretty easy. You have the richest and most defensible cities, and while the orcs can annoy you sometimes with sudden Waaugh armies they became less and less of a match for you militarily as the game goes on. Especially if the Top Knots take over everything, as they are want to do, because while Savage Orcs are incredibly annoying their unit roster is shallow and never improves much.

Also Savage Orcs are absolutely dominated by Quarrelers, which for Dwarves are cheap and really good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
I'd recommend against the Conquer Anywhere mod unless you've a deep burning hatred for not being able to settle every city, because it greatly changes how the game flow works. I like that the Human lands for Orcs are just a big money pot you visit now and then and not a stomping ground to expand your empire.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
Tomb Kings on the tabletop were just bad. You could pull off wins with a bit of luck or some serious skill, but they were pretty much the trash tier of armies on Tabletop.

However if they completely ignore the awful tabletop rules and just let them be a Vampire Count like army but with a unit roster of crazy giant skeleton monsters, skeleton archers and badass chariots (Piloted by skeletons) they'll be great.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
And Skeletons manning Skeleton Catapults that fire screaming skeleton skulls at the enemy.

If you don't like the Vampire Count skeletons you may want to skip this army. You are also wrong because they are great.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Reik posted:

Is there ever a reason to take Longbeards (Great Weapons) or Dwarven Warriors (Great Weapons) over Hammerers if you're not worried about upkeep? Would Longbeards be better on the flanks to help with morale issues caused by charging cavalry?

No, Hammerers are the loving bomb.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Mazz posted:

Hammerers feel kinda weak against Orcs or empire since the AI knows to focus them with ranged, but hey explode in usefulness against VC/Chaos.

I keep them back and focus their ranged with Quarrelers, you'll always win that fight and pretty quickly too leaving your Hammerers free to go kick faces in.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

John Charity Spring posted:

Anyone got pointers for putting Helblaster volley guns to good use, incidentally? In every battle I've played with them, they've accomplished more or less gently caress all - a couple dozen kills at the very most, no matter how I deploy them. They seem to need more or less direct line of sight so unless I have a big hill to put them on, they get put into the checkerboard of the main line like handgunners do; but a single unit of handgunners always accomplishes more than a battery of helblasters does. What am I doing wrong? Or are they really underpowered at the moment?

They're just not very good right now, bring something else.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
So had a Goon game last night, 3 of us vs Pubbies and we had an Orc (Me!), Empire and Dwarf team up versus 3 Vampire Counts.

The vampires had brought masses of Grave Guard, Cavalry and Flying Units with a squish zombie core. Supported by three mighty wizards.

While our army was a rag tag bunch covering each others weaknesses!

The Dwarves had brought Dwarf Warriors, a lot of Thunderers, some Cannons a Gyro Bomber and the Slayer King and a few units of Slayers.

The Empire was led by Karl Franz on Razorbeak, with a few Hellstorm Rocket Batteries, a light smattering of Spears, Greatswords

And of course since it's Empire, these guys.

Meanwhile I'd decided that Artillery is for gitz, and went with a massive WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGH led by the only Orc 'ard enough that even the Humans and Dwarfs want him on their side.

GRIMGOR IS THE GREATEST! And he brought all his Boys.

LOADS OF WEAK STUNTY GOBBOS AS SNACKS FOR THE TROLLS

ORCS WHO SHOOT POINTY STICKS AND ARE JUST 'APPY TO BE 'ERE

SOME BOYS SO DED 'ARD THE SLAYERS HUNG OUT WITH 'EM

AND YOU GOTTA HAVE PIGS

I brought some Goblin Wolfriders and Archers too, but it was a terrible choice as they all died pretty much immediately as they Vanguard Deployed next to these guys.

While my other Goblin Riders were found immediately and I tried to run them back home. It failed miserably.

This also means our side brought NO PONCY MAGIC AT ALL. gently caress THE FINGERWIGGLERS!

They start by surrounding our hilltop and trying to move in around our main line with a ton of Varghiests, dropping them on the Dwarf Gunline. This goes really badly for the Varghiests as we'd been expecting it and hidden some units nearby.

As the Dwaves leg it in the background there, the Varghiests are flanked by Black Orcs and are being charged by Demigryph knights and Boar Boy Big Un's with no escape. This does not go well for them.

In another bad move, they send a Varghulf way ahead of their main force to attack a single unit of Big Un's, who get supported by all the Orc Arrow Boys nearby and pretty much mince the thing.

It's the last small engagement before the battle begins in earnest, the waves of undead rolling uphill towards the Orc Screen force, who were being supported mightly by the Dwarf Cannons and Hellstorm Rockets.

And a ton of Dwarf Thunderers ain't going to let the Orcs have all the killing either.

Rather than let them hit us, I send the Goblins out to counter charge the Zombies. The battle of the completely useless units begins.

While having learned nothing, the enemy charges in their Black Knights much like the Varghiests did to get at our gun lines and the exact same trap of Black Orcs is sprung.

Those Black Knights are hosed.

Meanwhile up on the Artillery Battery hill, I'm not the only player using my heavy hitters to good use.

However a problem is becoming apparent, the Undead have way more melee infantry than us left

While we've all done a good job of smashing some of their big stuff, Orc Leadership is not good and poo poo like this is not something Goblins will hold back not even with a few Dwarf Miners for company.

Even Grimgor is looking a bit outnumbered as he does what he does best.

We got some reinforcements held back, sending in waves of Dwarf Warriors, Orcs and Trolls but the Undead don't want them to help out the front line just yet.

However not all is going badly, the Empire forces have been mainly left alone and with the Undead all committed they begin a large attack on the Flank of the main battle line.

As a quick overview of the main lines, we've mainly held off from them breaking through. We're on the left, with an intact Dwarven Gunline doing work, the Grave Guard have pushed in to replace the mostly now crumbled zombies and while the Orcs are being to get surrounded in the south stout Dwarf Warriors are coming to help. The North meanwhile is the site of an Empire beat down on a rather weak Undead line pinned by a few goblin spears who've refused to break yet.

However the Empire have a problem that we hadn't noticed.

Four full strenght units of Crypt Horrors they'd been keeping in reserve were now being thrown in

Worse yet, Grimgor has finally got targeted by Spirit Leech and he can't keep up with the mass pile on of Undead Lords who really want his rear end dead.

Even with the Slayer King watching disapprovingly, this proves too much for the Trolls who just bottle it and run from the battle.

However all is not lost, the Dwarf Warriors have held long enough for the Black Orcs to finally finish off the Black knights and rejoin the main battle.

And Ungrim fancies a lord for himself.

Sadly he flew away.

BUT THE DWARVES WOULD NOT BE DENIED.

Also much needed relief on the front lines as the Hellstorm batteries finally get back into the action.

But those Crypt Horrors I'd mentioned earlier finally hit the Empire lines too and it quickly gets bad.

With no Spears of Halberd to support they tear through the Empire troops practically unopposed because Karl Franz is busy boys.

Busy being a DUNK MACHINE

The Orcs and Dwarves won't be help to the Empire yet because they've banded together to try stop the infantry line breaking and having all the Arrow Boys and Thunderers in peril.

It's looking grim though, the Empire are getting pounded by Crypt Horrors.

Maybe they can only sense motion, keep still Witch Hunter :ohdear:

But to make up for it they help the Dwarfs and Orcs win with an absolute pounding of artillery.

And while the casualties for that particular fight were incredible, the Undead crumble first and the Orcs and Dwarfs swarm to take out the last of the Undead, that drat blob of Crypt Horrors.

However we never reach them as the Undead morale is so low that the final nail in the coffin is this guy.

Blown away by every ranged unit we had left in a hail of bullets, arrows and cannon shells.

Was a great game! Thanks to Ganjdalf the Purple and Dickheadhipster for letting me come along.

Fans fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Jun 10, 2016

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

ZenVulgarity posted:

How the gently caress do I have them March in formation

Select everyone you want to march in formation and press Control + G. It'll force them to maintain formation when moving.

If you give them an attack order a group they'll also advance in formation at a walk and charge an appropriate unit in their path if they cross one. Good for doing a quick counter charge or advancing towards the enemy while you go gently caress about with cavalry.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Zephro posted:

Were you playing Dorfs? Dorfs are the best. True Fact. Having shitloads of ranged damage and units that never break owns.

No I was the Orcs and I think you'll find Grimgor is the Greatest.

That and Black Orcs because Black Orcs never run, never die and gently caress everyone's day forever.

Yukitsu posted:

That said, how the sod do I assassinate generals as Dwarves? I don't think they can, but it's worth asking.

Most of the General deaths in the 3 vs 3 we did were mainly down to Dwarf Thunderers just loving blasting them out of the air. Karl Franz dropping one was mainly thanks to the Thunderers weakening it so bad it was an easy kill. Cannons and Thunderers together do the job very nicely, you just need to get them in a position to take the shot.

Quarrelers won't do it, they don't have enough damage to hurt Generals much. You need that AP ranged. Your Lords however are both pretty darn good in 1 vs 1 fights and will take out pretty much anyone who isn't Grimgor or Manfred, so that's an option if they don't have a flying mount!

Ranged AP is just so much better for lord sniping because the entire unit can hit one model. Hammerers are poo poo at it because only a few of them can take a swing at a time and they'll take forever to kill them.

Fans fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Jun 10, 2016

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

oswald ownenstein posted:

Could you give some more info about what's actually good? For example, what the gently caress is a wolf chariot for? I know it has a weiner ranged attack, but am I supposed to be turning on melee mode and using the charge? What about wolf rider archers or spider rider archers? I'd been using wolf / spider rider cav a lot early on just for the charges on archer/grudge thrower lines

Chariots are used for impact charges. Charges have two parts, the Impact and the Charge Bonus. The Impact is a mix of the units speed and mass and does an immediate chunk of damage while the charge bonus is a bonus applied to Melee Attack and Damage that gradually decreases over thirty seconds. This means when a cavalry unit charges it hits and does good impact damage because they've a lot of mass (They're on horses!) and speed, they also generally have good impact damage meaning they can stay in the fight and kill things for a little bit, before you draw them out to do another charge.

Chariots are different. The Goblin chariot is manned by goblins, so even with a charge bonus they're poo poo in a fight. However they're also in a loving Chariot, which has an incredibly high mass and speed which gives it really good Impact Damage. They come with bows because you're meant to charge in as they fire their bows, smash a unit so hard you go right through it then do a donut while still firing those bows and come back to do it again. This means chariots are best on unengaged units like archers, fleeing units or the enemies reserves. You've got such a heavy charge there's very little you can't just plough right through and come out the other side, to devastating effect without taking any damage. With cavalry you might be whittled down as time goes on, but Chariots just keep on going.

They're not so great for hammer and anvil attacks, but if you want to do it then come in at an angle with a view of punching through the blob of enemy infantry and out the other side, ruining all the enemy units who haven't got into the fight yet. Don't come in for a direct rear charge as you have a wide turning circle and will get stuck in the thick of it as you try to keep going through your own units, get bogged down and lose all your chariots in melee.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Does this mean microing ranged into melee? Or will the chariots auto charge? In my experience they just kept their distance, or did I have skirmish mode turned on or something?

You need to press F and that'll turn them from a ranged unit to a melee unit. If you don't give them an attack order they won't do much damage at all, you need them to wind up for an actual charge, a move order will not count as one. Then once you've hit quickly assess which direction is easiest for them to go to get out and double click that way, they'll barrel their way out again for a new charge as they're much better than Cavalry at bowling people over to get away.

Don't forget though that being Goblins they are cheap and a bit poo poo, so don't expect wonders out of them. Orc Chariots do much more devastating charges and have armour piercing to dish out as they're disengaging.

Goblin Chariots are best against Empire to do some crushing charges on their Infantry blocks. Against Dwarfs their charges will hit hard as Impact Damage is Armour piercing, but Dwarves are sturdy fuckers who won't take much impact damage if they can brace so you have to be sure you're not hitting them head on while braced or you're wasting your time.

Fans fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Jun 10, 2016

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
Also Goblin Wolfriders and other light cav (Missile or otherwise) have a niche, in that they're good for chasing down and killing units that have broken. Broken units might reform and come back, but set the Wolfriders on them and they'll eventually Shatter and be gone for sure. This is the same niche than the Wolves in Undead Armies have and Pistoleers in Empire fill.

Since Undead don't break and they have no squishy missile units this makes light cav against them kinda pointless.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Chomp8645 posted:

Can poison effects scatter onto your own units if your are shooting into a melee? Or can only the designated target be affected?

Yes it can. In fact here's a small battle I ran against Dwarves in which a unit of Night Goblin Archers have managed to poison pretty much everyone involved.

A poisoned Unit has a Red Down arrow in the Bottom Right of their unit card.

Here's the full Poison effect.

It's pretty beefy!

Just to see, I moved the Goblins round the flank and fired to see if they hit my own troops less, they still hosed it up fairly often.

Generally any units on the sides will not be hit. Any units in front or behind will be. So try get them round the flanks of a unit that isn't flanked. Or use them on units engaged with Goblin Spearmen because you lose a lot less damage than they do as you don't do any damage to begin with.

Fans fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Jun 11, 2016

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

literally this big posted:

So how's the multiplayer for this game? Are the modes fun, and is it easy to get a game?

Also, if I'm about o get this game, what mods should I look into? Getting rid of RO and increasing AI complexity sound pretty good.

Try it with RO, it's how it's meant to be played and stops the map becoming a complete mess of nonsense. Removing RO makes the game really easy.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Kainser posted:

Can someone who knows more about Warhammer tell me how they are going to differentiate the remaining factions that they are going to add? They did a great job with the starting five both in the campaign mode and battle mode but how exactly are for example High/Dark/Wood elves going to be unique on the same level?

Probably a stupid question but I'm genuinely curious.

Dark Elves live on floating cities, so we might see the first Faction that has a capital city that can move and they'll use it to raid across the map to amass wealth from other nations and then go attack the High elves on their Island.

Wood Elves live in their forests and may only be able to expand into forests on the map rather than taking cities. So any forest is potentially full of pointy eared gits.

High Elves are likely to be more Vanilla like the Empire but with Elves who turn into loving Dragons.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

The Butcher posted:

For unit types that require a secondary building, does it need to be in the same settlement or just the same province?

Same Province is fine.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Arglebargle III posted:

Iirc the dwarves closed out that grudge when they killed the elf king and took his crown.

The Elves however aren't quite so happy about that.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

midge posted:

Does this apply to buildings that apply bonuses? I assume that a building that offers +2 rank to crossbowmen they have to be recruited locally in that province for it to take effect.

You have to be in the province yes, but you don't have to be right next to the city you built it in. Benefit is shared across entire Province.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
This game is going to make a fortune off me for DLC.

I'm waiting for the inevitable Blood and Gore DLC right now, that can't be that far off and I want to see some amputations and human heads popping off like corks.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
Light Wizards have the Net of Amyntok which is a Snare that instantly stops units. IN AN AOE.

It's a loving incredible spell. You can just outright deny a cavalry charge with it.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
They've said they're tweaking Autoresolve, in particular to stop single units getting wrecked in it.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Arglebargle III posted:

They also said that the AI was correct to use high HP units as meat shields, it just wasn't what players wanted. The AI is using those units to get fewer deaths in your army, but men are easier to replace than HP on a giant so people aren't happy with what would be proper play outside a campaign context.

I've Autoresolved 20 vs 6 matches and my Terrorghiest will still take 50% or more damage. Usually against units it could solo by itself without even losing that much Hp. It's a bit broken.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Yeah that's my experience 100%. Boar units are complete rear end. Slow as poo poo, poor in melee - what exactly is their upside?

They're great at killing heavily armored units on a charge. Which makes them perfect for fighting Dwarfs or other Orcs when they start getting plenty of Big Un's in their forces.

Make sure to pull them out once their charge bonus starts to wane for a fresh charge and you'll soon have more Dwarf corpses than you can eat.

Fans fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Jun 13, 2016

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

All this talk about cavalry. I just want some boar riders that don't route from a single volley of arrows and can beat a catapult crew in a melee engagement.

Also, I know people love doom divers, but keep in mind their AP damage is actually bad - rock lobbers on the other hand do a poo poo ton of AP damage. They also have some late game goblin tech to make them a lot better.

Wait they're AP?

Holy poo poo, I need to fill my forces with them against Dwarves immediately. My solution to Dwarves is now Orc Boar Boy Big Uns' and a gently caress ton of rocks.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
I'd imagine Wood Elves and Beastmen would populate Forests instead of Cities and would have their own Provinces and Regions completely separate to the main city map.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Arrgytehpirate posted:

After playing this I decided I had the urge to paint some dudes and maybe play again. It's been years.

WHFB is not a thing anymore. WHAT THE loving gently caress GW?

Don't start this argument, nothing good comes of it. Trust me.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

NT Plus posted:

For certain entire provinces is it standard practice to just say "gently caress it, this place isn't for producing soldiers" and just make the whole thing a cash town?

It's only really worth having the provinces near your borders as troop centers to resupply your Generals. If a province is behind the front lines just turn it into a cash cow, it's not worth matching all the way back to them just to pick up some small troop benefits and having an army just to ferry recruits about is a hassle.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Mazz posted:

Is it all on the back of spirit leech and lord sniping or is it a more complex build?

Empire can snipe with Light Wizards and Witch Hunters, while Orcs can with Azhag so no it's not true. Crypt Horrors are pretty darn good for VC, but commander sniping them is far more deadly.

Orcs and Empire are the two best empires right now, Empire way ahead due to Demigryphs, though Black Orcs are well 'ard.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Mazz posted:

Are you talking MP or SP because they are very different beasts. I don't care about SP balance because the answer is always spend more.

MP.

Right now MP is mainly focused around general sniping, infantry and Cav.

Monsters are traps because they're easy to kill either with archers or with magic and not that good with their slow killing of units. It really weakens the appeal of the Vampire Counts, the one exception being the genuinely quite good Crypt Horrors who are terrifyingly good against almost everything with Poison, AP and Anti-Large. If you fight Vampire Counts in MP expect a lot of them. Trolls aren't bad either if you can keep them away spears.

Orcs and Empire though have far better infantry and cavalry than the Vampire Counts. For Empire they got the near invincible Demigryphs and reasonably cheap and solid infantry, while Orcs have Big Un's and Black Orcs to dominate infantry and cheap cav with Goblins or actually fairly reasonable for the their price Boar riders.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Chomp8645 posted:

It's a little of both. Death magic is just plain overpowered at the moment and VC have free access to it on heroes that are also strong combatants. Theoretically Chaos could be almost as bad if their units were balanced (they have just as much death access but basically their entire roster is overcosted).

The reason VC are terrible to play against is that they force you to take a specific army to counter them. Investment in a lord is wasted. If you take Franz on his griffon then that is 1000g you just flushed down the toilet compared to taking Generic Empire Lord because he will never do anything worthwhile before he is leeched/magic missiled to death. Artillery is also wasted. The purpose of artillery is to force the enemy to come to you and to do damage their elite infantry along the way. But the VC are already coming to you anyway, and all of their worthwhile units either regenerate or are flying (and therefore very hard to hit with cannons).

My normal Empire list is Franz, a wizard, a warrior priest, 2x cannons, 2x Reiksguard, then a bunch of gunners and basic spearmen with only 2x halberdier for melee above tier 1. It works pretty well. It's all about using the cannons to force them to come to you, and then using the heroes to disrupt the enemy charge and really give it to em with the guns. This build will 100% fail utterly against VC. For them I have to drop all the cool stuff. I roll Generic Lord, drop all the artillery and cav, and just pump that gold into greatswords and halberds (still have some guns to shoot flying). To beat VC you have to take a boring roster, and then still fight an uphill battle against an overpowered faction.

I'd disagree with Franz. If you take a Light Wizard his snipe has a longer range than Spirit Leech and you will generally blow the VC wizards away long before they can go for Franz. Just keep him back until you feel safe to send him in to kill any VC lords who are on low health or if they're all dead, to win the day.

Artillery I agree is usually a waste in MP that could have been spent on more infantry or cav.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Chomp8645 posted:

Still it sucks that bringing any flying hero/lord against VC is basically a death sentence for them. I feel that's a problem in a general sense if not a balance one.

The magic is definitely ruining MP right now. I don't really want to play it until the fix how easy it is to snipe a general with magic because every match more or less comes down to who manages to snipe the opposing generals with magic first.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

FutonForensic posted:

Haven't played MP. Is it like SP custom battles where your lord has all the end-game spells? Would forcing players to spend points to access higher-tier abilities (at the cost of additional units and upgrades) alleviate some of the imbalance?

It's exactly the same as Custom battles.

Also no making it cost them wouldn't fix the problem because the price would be worth it. Being able to snipe the enemy Lord is just an incredibly powerful ability to have in Total Warhammer. They just need to redo the magic system because the damage spells veer wildly between "Completely useless piece of poo poo" to "Game breakingly powerful" The problem spells need to be made to cost a lot more magic, or have their damage toned down significantly.

I like the buffs and debuffs! But you won't see them be used because everyone just uses Wizards to kill units in safety.

Fans fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Jun 16, 2016

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
Any single unit monster in MP is a bad idea because it will either get magic'd to death or shot to death with range. They're all rather weak to both right now.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
In Theory as orcs you just fight orcs and eventually Dwarves, but that means you're ignoring how the Orc economy works, which is to raise armies to go raid the absolute poo poo out of everyone else on the map until you have more money than sense.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
I'm liking the look of these changes, should make MP a lot more bearable if they've actually fixed leader sniping with magic.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

ChickenWing posted:

Okay, that makes sense - charging units should be formed up for maximum impact, charged-at units should be formed up for maximum resistance. What about regular unit-on-unit fighting - doesn't maximizing the enemy's exposed surface area open up your units to recieving more attacks?

It does, in general if you want the unit to deal damage then it should be in a wide line to maximize the damage output. If you want it to soak damage, make it a sturdy block so there's less units in the fight to be hit.

As a good example, Orcs are mainly chargers and fighters, so a long line so as many can get stuck as possible in is best. Meanwhile Dwarfs tend to be fairly mediocre in melee, but tough and there to hold them while the ranged does work. So you want to form them up into squares, or even thinner rectangles to reduce the size of your front line they can attack.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

goodness posted:

But if the opposing units are wider won't they wrap around your units and hit the sides?

If you don't have a tight line yes, but this just makes them an easy target for your Rifles and Archers.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

10/10

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
While the next game be able to play Armies from this game? Would be a shame if Dwarves never got to fight Skaven.

• Locked thread