Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
Man the AI is very good at microing the loving wolves. I saw an almost full army get annihilated by them purely from wolf micro. The only counter had been to build a defensive perimeter around the Mortars and just trying to beat them down while holding the enemy at bay from the forward assault.

Then again this dude only had a single unit of Reiksguard and no other cavalry, so maybe that was just a poor army composition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
Managed to finally grab the game for $61 AUD, which is not bad considering it's like $75 in stores, and it came with Chaos Warriors even this late since purchase.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Welp first game was a wash. I didn't really expand in any which way. I got Marienberg and one of the Bretonian lands that attacked me. Never got to fight Counts though and by the end Chaos came and I couldn't keep up.

Playing as Empire of course

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Chaos just arrived in my latest game, I finally finished off the undead, and I'm at war with a bret clan, with everyone breaking alliance with me for not honouring a war vs the Dwarves, because I was trying to hunt the Greenskins down. I feel incredibly malnourished and spread thin though. Especially because settlements keep revolting leading me to having to put down the revolts leading to a chain of gently caress You since I need to be on the move and proactive about fighting the enemy but I need to remain in my provinces. I think my fault was absorbing Talabecland in confederacy.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

I confederated with Talabecland and that pretty much ruined my whole end-game as fighting all the Order issues in Sylvania (which I've finally decided to just say gently caress it to and let it die) kept me in a perpetual money pit the entire campaign. Just going to try focusing on the Warrior of Chaos.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

This game is going much better. Nearly 3000 income a turn from trading, I have a level 5 capital, I'm wiping out the Vampire Counts. And I have convenient Ork neighbours to pillage for Karl's quest. I don't have as much territory, but the territory I do have is being well fortified. Only two stacks though, But I can almost get Gelt, which will be the first time for me. So He'll run my third stack. And Chaos hasn't arrived yet, always good.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

What's the best Artillery for going against Chaos Warriors? I'm building Gelts army now and I've currently got him with 3 Great Swords and 3 Demigryph Knights. I'm also about to unlock Steam Tanks.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Maxed Gates and Keep saved the god damned day in Gorsell, Gelt was a turn away from reaching the battle and they still managed it.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Will Sigvald stop RUNNING THE gently caress AWAY from the three stacks chasing him? I've got a lord of change led stack on the horizon I really didn't think he was smart enough to play Keep Away

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Ah. Yes. Hi. Hello. I need another stack.

Well, can't run, wont get a better chance than this.

Onmi fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Jul 4, 2016

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Okay, need actual advice on this fight.

Forces:
Karl Franz Rank 22 : Ghal Maraz, Seed of Rebirth, Monster Tracker, Fearless, Confident Attacker, Deathclaw.
Light Wizard: No mount, Banishment, Net, pretty much all the spells.
6x Greatsword
5x Crossbowmen
1x Hangunner
Reiksguard
Demigryph Knight
2 Great Cannons
3 Steam Tanks

Reinforcements:
Rank 13 Treasurer
6x Swordmen
2x Spearmen with Shields
2x Crossbowmen
3x Pistoliers
1x Mortar

Not a great army, it's the one that's currently stuck. But I'm going to lose a lot of ground if I just abandon them to Mael.

Enemy Forces:
Sarthorael
6x Chaos Warriors
1x w/ Halberds
3x Chaos Knights
1x Chaos Giant
1x Chaos Spawn
2x Chaos Trolls
3x Hellcannons (These loving things)

Enemy Reinforcements:
Archaon the Roadblock
4x Chaos Warriors
2x w/ Halberds
4x Chaos Knights
1x Chaos Spawn
3x Hellcannons

Battlefield is pretty flat, though their is a slop to hide behind.

Current strategy has been

GC ST ST ST GS GS GS GS GS GS GC
HG XX CB CB CB CB CB XX XX XX XX

Behind the hill hid the Reiksguard and Demigryph. Now I was focus firing on Sarthorael with the cannons and steam tanks, which got him down to about half by the time he got up in my face. I'm still poo poo with my wizard so I keep hitting his Net spell when they aren't in range of my crossbows. Then usually I can get the upperhand and then Archaon's reinforcements are far faster than mine, and just end me. Both times Karl Franz has gone down, Once when fighting Sarthorael the second when fighting Archaon. Probably because I specced him full Red, not Orange. I keep trying to send the Reiksguard and Demigryph to go over the hill and run down the Cannons, but they always get caught up in fights and I apparently cannot find the way to tell them "No. Idiots, the ones shooting hot purple fire, not the idiots who just decided to engage you." Though chances are I'm just bad.

So yes, any advice on tactics or formations would be nice. I really think I have a shot, I just have to take out the leadership and not die from the Knight flanks.

I don't think Cannons can shoot over lines though.

I also have a Griffon Standard (-4 Leadership to all foes in aura), a Steel Standardz2 (+20 Speed), a Standard of Discipline (+4 Leadership) and a Scarecrow Standard (-4 Leadership, flying)

Onmi fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Jul 4, 2016

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

alex314 posted:

Can you hug the corner of the map close to where your reinforcements enter? Then have some "picket" forces that need to stop chaos cav and monsters for a while so your ranged can chew them. If possible hide some cav in a forest away from your line and once enemy knights engage your infantry go for their guns.

How tanky is your tank? Maybe use it as a speedbump instead of some poor swordmen. Mind you I've never played humans :psydwarf:

The tanks are quite tanky, And I can sprint to the corner, yeah. So that, then what, send the horses behind the hill to behind the lines and then charge the cannons from the back?

John Charity Spring posted:

Your armies are seriously lacking in halberdiers which do real work against Chaos armies (and give you anti-monster and anti-cavalry power in your line troops), and you're too crossbow-heavy instead of handgunners who do a lot better against armour, but that deficiency aside you can do okay in this battle I think. I think you need to just grind the cavalry charges out in hand-to-hand with superior infantry numbers - don't be afraid to throw away your entire reinforcing army to achieve this, I think. Save the limited cavalry you have to go and kill all the Hellcannons as the Chaos forces leave them undefended at the rear. Pistoliers can actually be useful for this but the reiksguard and demigryphs could be usefully employed in that role too, before swinging around to hit the engaged main forces.

Well the second army is basically the army I've had all game, and I've never had a lot of experience vs Chaos to know who to use. But I'm not afraid to lose the army, these are two big stacks with two of their main leadership, If I get rid of them I can solidify and re-colonize the north areas they've been ravaging and gently caress them up. Especially since I got rid of Sigvald and their centaur giant thing.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

drat Dirty Ape posted:

I also like using artillery on troll units since you can often route them before they even get to your line.

One of the problems I have is they keep routing, and then regaining the will to fight. They seem to do this far more often than any other army I've faced, quite often 4-5 times in a single battle.. Vampires were honestly the best about this, since their dudes had the decency to just fall apart once the lord was taken out.

EDIT: Also, should I even be casting anything but Net at this point? Or should I be saving all my points for it?

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

I mean... I did it. Franz went down, But I lost very few actual units. The winds of Magic locked at 7 so I actually wasn't expecting the run to go as well as it did. Took out both lords. Eventually had to chase down the last three hell cannons which never arrived. My three steam tanks survived. I've had to hire another lord but now I know to recruit Halberdier users and Handgunners to fight Chaos.

Yeesh I took a hammering. Wiped out both stacks though, and founded another settlement to begin the healing.

Oh gently caress right off game!

Onmi fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Jul 4, 2016

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

So, something I'm not sure on, when Chaos loots a town it turns into a portal for more chaos forces? yes?

I need to solidify my hold on the main continent and then finally start moving north. I'm so glad this game doesn't have a turn limit. Turn 114 and I have the entire "Empire" minus the Border princes down south and those other groups. In theory anyway, because Chaos keeps wrecking towns and I'm in the red now because a lot of them had money, so I can't support the armies I've had to raise. I need to do some restructuring and them get them the gently caress off my lawn.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

ChickenWing posted:

Yeah it's a bit of a switch. Battles are significantly more lethal for you. Cavalry is a bit of a huge plus though, as is having actual assassin agents.

What do you guys use to reduce vampiric corruption to manageable levels in the campaign? I've just recently beaten chaos and looking into Sylvania, and attrition is a real mother.

Also, [ASK] me about getting Balthasar's army brutally murdered in the Amulet of Sea Gold quest battle. Holy gently caress I'm so drat bad at fighting undead (or tactics in general, really).

I took their cities and parked my rear end in them, Built shine of Sigmars.

Also Undead is very much a case of "Kill the Lord." When the Lord goes down, the bindings come down easier and they'll just shrivel up. The majority of their fodder are for Tarpitting you, My typical response was to tarpit right back and then just pepper them with arrows. When it comes to their monsters, you want Halberdiers, Their main problem I found is their cavalry, Get some spears, form a wall around your lines. And get Mortars. Shelling the gently caress out of their forces will soften them up for you.

I, however, am not particularly good at this game. so my advice may be bad.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Silver Seal quest, the options of break a drat or pursue the thief, do they make a difference?

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

SunAndSpring posted:

I played a campaign with one of my friends that culminated in me shooting his Archaon the Everchosen to death with 90 disgruntled peasant handgunners. I cannot imagine the collective disappointment of the Chaos gods.

Pretty fun campaign though. I owned all of Bretonnia and was making 4k gold a round even with 5 well-equipped lords on the map.

to be fair Archaon being a disappointment is pretty much canon to the fans of the Old World.

He's no Failbaddon the Armless, but few people are. They both however, are big scary "badass" leaders of the opposite faction GW keeps trying to tell you are cool and the fans just go "Nuh uh."

What technology should I grab next?

Onmi fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Jul 5, 2016

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

I just got the "an Age of Peace" event and all I can say is... What?! When did I beat Chaos? Was it when I stomped Kholek? I don't recall.

God the Everbitch really IS disappointing.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

wiegieman posted:

I know! It's like, what, this rear end in a top hat on a horse is who everyone's so afraid of? Is it his fancy hat, are your lesser hats quailing before its magnificence? What about the giant dragon man/bird demon, is that a problem? I hosed horse dude over with like 50 crypt horrors and a spirit leech and forgot about him.

I mean that was the fight I needed help with, the Everfailure and his pet bird rocked up, And then I killed both of them, I figured "Eh, they'll be back in the future so I better reclaim the empire and prepare myself."

Then I saw Centaur-Dude running around, thought "Better nip THAT before the rest of them come along to reinforce." since I thought I'd already killed him. Then like a turn or two after "Thanks for killing Chaos" and I have no idea when it happened. Well, All the corruption is leaving, I have three Border-Prince tribes to subjugate and then I have the whole Empire. Then I have to deal with the loving Norse and I guess the Greenskins eventually.

On the other hand, my Light Wizard just got the title of "Despiser of Chaos"

EDIT: Freaking Chaos Rebels, Guess I'm going to go settle Nordland aga-

YOU WIN!

Okay won my first campaign, now for Mods. Any recommended ones?

Onmi fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Jul 5, 2016

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Gonkish posted:

The wet fart of Chaos.

Last game I managed to wipe the floor with Sarthorel and Kholek at the games of Waldenhof and then Archaon came down like "WUT UP NERDS" and I tag teamed him and dropped his rear end without much of a fight at all. Apparently Sigvald ate it somewhere up north because as soon as that fight was over, Chaos was gone. The entire thing lasted maybe 15 turns. Chaos AI is weird.

I mean they lasted, The East was a never ending hellscape of settlements being burned to the ground. But I just didn't know what I had to do. I wouldn't have Auto-resolved that last fight if I knew.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Okay I just paused and looked at the Long Campaign victory, it is exactly the loving same as the short campaign victory, Except, you must also wipe out the Vampire Counts. Which you'll likely do anyway as it's the quickest way to claim the Sylvania's.

I thought it would be like "Wipe out the Norse clans" or "Wipe out the Greenskins"

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

God loving drat it Talabecland! Stop declaring war on everyone and then backing out of it leaving me to fight them all!

And I can't break the alliance because otherwise everyone thinks I'm an oathbreaker. Not just stuck with a retard!

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

FutonForensic posted:

Dear Abby,

I have trouble getting my post-secessionist Empire economy strong enough to take on Marienburg. What buildings and forces do you have in the Reikland province once you invade, and why?

Sincerely,
Incompetent Buttchild

Typically I wait a bit, Trying to tech up into Mortars, Failing that, Marienburg is still Empire, they still fall to a hail of crossbow fire as well as the next human army. Grab a line of Swordsmen Drag them 2-3 ranks thin To establish a screen wall. Line up your Crossbows in 2-wide for peppering their forces. Then, Hide your Reiksguard in the forest and wait until they've crushed into your lines, start striking across their lines. Use your Handgunners to curve around the flank as well, You should start chain-routing their forces, bringing the forces who were fighting the now routing forces and fold them over.

If you have a wizard, then that's even more beneficial. Franz is also a one man wrecking crew on a flank. If they have Mortar, use your Reiksguard to hit that or their archery forces, and then use Karl for your Chain routing, OR have him target leadership. My one has the Sword that gives the ability that shatters enemy defense and freezes them in place. Pop that for helpless enemies and then roll them up.

Watch yourself with Marienburg though. Middenland is not going to like you likely trespassing in their lands getting there, and at least one Bret faction will take umbridge with you wiping them out. Establish a lot of trade, play Diplomancer, DO NOT FORM A MILITARY ALLIANCE WITH ANYONE. ESPECIALLY NOT THE loving TELLYTUBBIES. If you want to feel more comfortable, build up a second half-stack. It can be the force multiplier you need.

Keep in mind Marienburg has walls, so unless you want to have to wait a few turns building siege equipment, just wait for Mortars.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Motherfucking Vampire Counts. When I added one of the factions to my own, I inherited a VC territory, lots of rebels, but hell, they handled it, so it's fine I'll just leave the order problem so I can farm EXP. I was a fool, because eventually I wasn't healing enough and they were spawning too quickly. So I figured, "It says I have a chance. I'll just try it."

First time went bad because I tried using thin lines on an enemy that demanded thick ones. But I learned (I also learned this Leader had a Fireball Ring) from that and tried it again, thicker lines. Didn't work, well fine, I just have to take out the leadership. This was working... almost. I did kill the enemy lord, but then, out of loving nowhere, my God damned General dies and I completely rout. He had half HP, what happened?!

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Okay, My current army is

All Injured
Lord, Fireball Ring, 2 War Banners.
1 Halberdier
1 Crossbowman

Reinforcements
2 Swordsmen
3 Spearmen

Enemy Forces

Wizard
2x Crypt Horrors
1x Skeleton Warrior
2x Grave Guard

I think, because I reloaded from the autosave to see if I couldn't change anything to stack the deck more in my favor. (Nope) But, on this reload, Ostermark declared war, and now they have less dudes. I remember more Grave Guard

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

YES! Grave Guards take forever to deteriorate, but plenty of Fireballs eventually put it down.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Speaking of Assholes who are so not worth it. Want the Runefang? Oh just establish a defensive or Military alliance with Nordland.

Those motherfuckers despise me.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Rogue 7 posted:

You can just kill them instead.

Yes but then I'm sending my forces into loving Nordland. It's looking like I'm going to have to though, they took Marienburgs second province, and they arent' anywhere near confederacy.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Could someone explain in detail how confederating works? Do you have to "ally" first?

Generally the way I've seen it work, is that it's the last thing they'll accept, so once you're in a military alliance with a province, then they'll typically accept confederation.

Try not to do it though, you'll typically inherit a tonne of debt, an ally built army, and it'll be harder to maintain relations for around 5 turns.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

so I'm dealing with 4 underpowered Varg stacks running around the north, The Skaelig have full powered stacks coming back, Marienburg came back to take the second town back so I was able to properly take Marienburg without having to fight Nordland or confederate them.

And then... I was sending Karl to go fight the Chaos stacks, because he was in the area having gotten the Runefang. And then, for reasons I cannot fathom, I get the message "The Warriors of Chaos have been obliterated" and I'm just wondering if somehow, the AI managed to take two full stacks of Chaos and actually kill them.

That's the first time the allied AI has shown even a hint of sanity. I'm learning to start extorting money on agreeable deals since I'm not the money powerhouse I was last game.

What's good stack composition for the Chaos Warriors? I have 4-6 Halberdiers, 4-6 Handgunners. 1-2 Reiksguard and then around 4 Artillery, with a Lord and Special to fill out the ranks (Franz currently has a Light Wizard and a Warrior Priest with him)

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Dear AI, when Chaos is right on my doorstep please do not get into wars RIGHT NEXT TO ME.

Get into wars in territory nowhere near me so I can bleed you for money through peace treaties.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

I need to learn how to better play on the battles period. I'm fine in the early game but when I get to the late game, probably from lack of appropriate units but that poo poo doesn't work anymore.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

loving Sigvald again making me chase his stupid loving rear end all over the Empire with two stacks and then he blew up Grunburg because despite having Lv.1 Walls and a Tier III castle, was an open field battle.

I could probably win the fight with a lot of effort but no, I absolutely do not want to try to win with the forces I had.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Gejnor posted:

So?

Not to be rude or anything but you do realise Boar Boys are also AP? Its.. a 4 damage point difference, and once again if you're facing Dwarfs you kinda want a shield so you don't melt under their quarreller spam.

Also, in both cases you don't want your boars stuck in fighting infantry, rather cycle charging to upset their formations and tank their morale , so what difference does a bit more AP damage do? That AP on big'uns is better used against other armoured cav, not infantry!

Edit: Also another thing, uhm, you guys who are having an easy time with Orcs, what unit size are you on? That picture is set on larger and it made me realise something: Orcs may very well be easier on lower unit sizes since they rely on charging, something that is affected immensely by what kind of mass they hit upon impact. On ultra, as we all know, its much much easier to take a charge than it is on say, medium. An almost extreme example but you get my point.

I don't know what you mean by "Unit Size"

EDIT: This game I took the Everfailure down so hard that he's been running like a coward into the Chaos Wastes, where Franz has been chasing him at a speed slow enough to encamp. Ever since we wiped out his bird friend. He had Prince Pretty to slow us down... by which I mean it was Sigvald all alone and after being shelled by Mortars while he charged Franz just swooped down on him. I'm also starting to raid the Varg and wipe them out. This game is taking longer but I'm achieving more.

On the downside the Orc hordes have almost crushed the Dwarves, I had to direct my dwarven vassals to go help out. In a shocking turn of events not only did Nordland survive the initial Norcen assault, they've down right recovered.

Power Standings in the game so far

Empire (Myelf)
Bretonia
Greenskins
Bordeleaux
Karak Kadrin (Vassals)

And at the very bottom of the list

21. Varg
22. Bloody Spears
23. Warriors of Chaos

Onmi fucked around with this message at 12:20 on Jul 7, 2016

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Gejnor posted:

You know.. Unit Size? How many dudes are in each unit..? You can change it in the graphics setting? I think its set to Larger by default.

No. I did not know that.

EDIT: Killed the Everfailure

LONG CAMPAIGN VICTORY!

I feel like continuing anyway and making a personal goal to wipe out the Skaleg, Varg and Orcs

Onmi fucked around with this message at 13:01 on Jul 7, 2016

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

When you charge should you charge in a thin formation or a wide formation?

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

So I'm being attacked by Orcs with two armies with only Franz to fight back. However when I tried the battle, because the enemy started right next to me, I placed my Handgunners behind me so they just unloaded on the reinforcing enemies and shredded them. I also had my Artillery back there, but I'm not sure it worked. My flaw, of course, was also setting up my Halberdiers as a battleline there rather than setting them up to protect my rear. So by the time I finished routing these guys almost entirely by Handgunner fire, the orcs crashed into my back. I'm going to try this battle again because I really think, even if the prediction says I can't, that I can gently caress these guys up.

EDIT: So good, I don't care if most of my troops are down to 10 men, I crushed them!

Onmi fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Jul 7, 2016

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Is the AI generally smart enough to take back its settlements? I'm tearing through the orc hordes with Karl and I'm wondering if they're going to be bright enough to take back their capital since I've given them 8000 Gold.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Middenland or Estalia for Gelt's second quest.

• Locked thread