Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal
Just thought I'd weigh in on the mods I think are essential for gameplay (so long as you actually enjoy modding) that might find some interest in the OP or something:

Better Camera Mod - http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=690476829

Does what it says, dramatically improves the zooming capabilities in the battle map, and is essential for battles where you have reinforcing armies spreading out your battle line. Also great for getting close zooms on combat and letting you enjoy the show. Pretty much compatible with everything as well.

Radious Total War - http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=689913357

It's no secret I've been a big Radious fan since Rome II, but if you're looking for a total rebalance mod, this is it. The nuts and bolts is a rebalance that sees combat in battles lasting longer, and dramatically improves how the AI builds stacks and uses them in battle. Most magic, heroes, and unit stats have been re-tuned, as well as the economy. Diplomacy and the campaign map AI also are tougher, but make more sense. The AI is tougher, the number of armies everyone supports is larger, and the world is tilted towards more violence, but in my opinion the game feels much richer and more fun than vanilla.

Tie this in with the :frogsiren: optional :frogsiren: Radious Unit mods, which adds some balanced, new unit choices for each faction: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=693667798 The Unit mod also fills out the Empire tree pretty nicely, giving the Empire parity in infantry late game with other factions that is something other than Greatsword spam. People have super strong opinions on his unit mods, just try it for yourself and make up your own mind. Prepare for a lot of wailing and gnashing of teeth either way.

Radious combines the functions of many other highly sought after mods as well, such as increased skillpoints, hero rebalance, and cosmetics, so you can just use one instead of 10 others.

Bonus: You also get some dramatically improved models, such as these:

Home Region Movement Bonus - http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedeta

Gives you a 10% increase to movement range in territory you own (as well as the AI), giving players another option other than Ambush stance for trying to chase down armies that refuse to engage in your lands.

The Empire of Sigmar - http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=691664240

Adds a bunch of units from the Warhammer Tabletop to the game for most factions. Balance is pretty on par with what is already out there. Combined with Radious, gives the AI and you a HUGE range of units to choose from to fill out armies with of varying costs, pre-reqs, and utility. Good for people who played Tabletop and miss a lot of their troop choices from later codexes.

No Aggressive Agent - http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=690832068

This is a mod that hopefully won't be needed once the game is patched some more, but on higher difficulties you will never have lords in your armies because of the AI's tendency to chain assassinate every leader you have, which is further mired by their native buff to the number of agents they can deploy. This mod curbs that behavior, whilst still allowing the AI to do most other agent actions.

**Optional but fun if anarchy is your thing**

Conquer Anywhere - http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=687689947

Essentially opens up the map for any faction to conquer anywhere instead of only certain lore based areas. Also expands vassal options, and a few other things. I especially enjoy this mod in Head-to-Head/Co-Op campaigns, as it opens up entirely new avenues for trickery and strategy.

--------

Those, in my mind, comprise the most essential mods. Everything else is just up to flavor and preference. If you use those mods, in my opinion, you're going to have a much more fleshed out and deep game, and one that's going to continue to challenge you long into your campaign.

Kimsemus fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Jun 8, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

Fans posted:

I'd recommend against the Conquer Anywhere mod unless you've a deep burning hatred for not being able to settle every city, because it greatly changes how the game flow works. I like that the Human lands for Orcs are just a big money pot you visit now and then and not a stomping ground to expand your empire.

yeah I agree, I'll actually just probably file that one under optional, because some of my games definitely get kind of wonky. I think I like it more because games become wildly unpredictable, rather than the fact that they make sense.

sassassin posted:

Radious is pure garbage

So is your posting. :toot:

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

Zephro posted:

This used to cause crashes, did they fix it?

They did, I've not experienced any crashes on my machine, but I get minor tearing when I'm zoomed all the way in.

peer posted:

I'm happy to see radious' "new units" are as low-effort as ever. Black orcs with halberds! Black orcs with bows! Black orc cavalry! Black orcs with two hand weapons! Black orcs with shields!

A lot of the units have new models, but yeah, some of the new units are a little top-tier heavy.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

LGD posted:

This is wildly untrue because of the way province capitals and banked growth work. You can get the 1-2 population for rank 2-3 cities/towns very quickly and it will replenish almost instantly, but building up to the 4 and 5 population needed to raise capitals above rank 3 takes much longer even with multiple settlements because of the way scaling on banked growth works. If you've only got a single settlement providing +growth it potentially takes forever (though this is a bigger deal for Dwarfs than Humans due to how much of their roster is locked away at tier 4 and 5).

You also don't need a public order building in every settlement, but you do need at least one in every province and sometimes more depending on difficulty/location. Two city provinces absolutely have issues building infrastructure compared to 3-4 city provinces.

Late game in VH/Legendary, 2 public order buildings in each province is pretty much mandatory, but usually by that point I just swap out my growth buildings with econ/public order buildings so it's not a big deal. I usually spam growth buildings until I hit my population maxes then convert down to econ/PO. Mathematically this always seems to work out better.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

John Charity Spring posted:

That isn't the main issue with Radious' unit additions, it's that his entire philosophy is 'get rid of any difference whatsoever and let every faction recruit every unit'. CA's own rosters for certain games - like the Romans in both Rome 1 and 2 - make this error, but Radious makes it a central design principle for every drat mod he makes. Wouldn't be surprised if he added dwarf cavalry at some point.

Yeah, that's why I added it as an option -- it does homogenize some things, I use it when playing Empire, simply because I feel like the Empire's core infantry choices are severely lacking late game compared to the other factions. Radious appears to be adding a whole lot of everything in his unit mods this go around -- much of it balanced around how much you can actually afford in upkeep/costs.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

Zephro posted:

I've never tried a Radious mod so maybe I'm misunderstanding what you're saying, but surely this defeats the point of having very different factions? Dwarfs are explicitly designed not to have cavalry, for instance...

Keep in mind the Radious Total War Mod is one thing, and the Radious Unit Mod has always been a separate thing. He keeps them separate because not everyone likes his unit choices. In Rome II he added absurd options for high level troops, in Total Warhammer he is trying to add tiered units all the way down. I personally like his unit mods, but it's completely optional compared to the actual rebalance mod.

madmac posted:

Having relatively weak infantry but awesome cav/artillery/heroes is kinda the whole point of being Empire though. While Radious has a history of modding this philosophy into every game it's especially out of place with Warhammer and it's intentionally asymmetrical factions.

That's not really canonical with the tabletop at all though, the Empire had some sublime elite/heavy infantry choices that made them fun to play. Plugging that gap hardly makes them symetrical imo.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

LGD posted:

hey, the gyrocopters are kind of like Dwarf cavalry

which is honestly one of the biggest issues I have with the Dwarfs, too much of their roster is locked away behind very inflexible Tier 4 and especially Tier 5 buildings, including most of the more interesting and game changing units, so you hardly get to play with them before you finish things up

I want to say this is because Dwarves are supposed to turtle harder into higher tiers compared to other races by design choice, but :iiam: what CA was going for.

madmac posted:

I don't play TT, so I'm trying not to be to big a nerd here, but wut? To my knowledge the only infantry units from the game Empire is missing are all relatively weak/light units. Free Company, Flaggelants, Archers, and Huntsmen. What are these sublime heavy infantry units you're talking about?

Flaggelants are already mentioned but amazing, Knights of the Blazing Sun, and the various army upgrades that made State Troops exponentially tougher, anchored by unbelievably good champions when kitted properly.

In TT, a properly kitted/lead state troop heavy army with proper equips and elites could stand against pretty much anything without much of an issue as their cavalry pretty much annihilated everything in the known universe. I played Empire pretty heavily in TT and like IG in WH40K, it all came down to kit kit kit.

Kimsemus fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Jun 8, 2016

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

Ilustforponydeath posted:

The more I play vampire counts the more I realize that playing napoleon total quarrell as the stubby little dwarves sucks.

VC in some ways are the most fun faction to play, hands down.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

Pipski posted:

Any tips for not getting my poo poo comprehensively pushed in by Bretonnia? Their knights just marmalise me every time, by a ratio of like 6:1. I've only just got access to knights - and I have that one unit of Reiksguard I've been carefully preserving since the start - nothing that can compete with 300 of the bastards stamping all over my lovely spearmen.

Checkerboard with rifles -- your units are thick enough to brace most charges so spears can do work, and rifles pretty much melt their knights.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

Arglebargle III posted:

What are people's opinions about chariots?

Gorebeasts are good and plow really deep into lines allowing your Warriors to flood in behind, but I have a hard time every justifying chariots over regularly cavalry.

• Locked thread