Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted

sassassin posted:

Radious is pure garbage

I'm happy to see radious' "new units" are as low-effort as ever. Black orcs with halberds! Black orcs with bows! Black orc cavalry! Black orcs with two hand weapons! Black orcs with shields!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peer
Jan 17, 2004

Kaza42 posted:

I forget, was Radious the one obsessed with adding a dozen different Immortals variants? Because that's what just happened here.

Yeah, radious is indeed the guy to blame if for some reason you didn't totally love his Immortal Chariots and Immortal Elephants.

peer
Jan 17, 2004

WHAT A GOOD DOG posted:

I don't know why we can't get skellington archers tho :smith:

Same reason you can't get black orcs with shields, or there aren't any high-tier Empire infantry, or you don't get gyrocopters until 60 turns in (or whatever): it's your faction's intentional weakness. I think there's a mod adding skeleton archers, if it bothers you.

Also, (probably) partially to further accentuate the differences between the Counts and the to-be-added Tomb Kings, which are also skeletons but have a whole lot of ranged.

peer
Jan 17, 2004

Mordja posted:

About that; what are the Tomb Kings' specialty, anyway? Or are they an all-rounder faction like the Empire?

From memory, they've got

- powerful melee lords, with a tiny bit of spellcasting ability (only unit buffs/regeneration, I think)
- weak necromancer-type casters
- archers with low base accuracy, but ignoring to-hit penalties
- the screaming skull catapult
- no heavy cavalry
- no real heavy infantry
- a bone giant
- monstrous infantry that can also be equipped with giant bows
- units of light chariots
- a cool Egyptian theme

They also apparently had some giant monsters added at some point after I stopped playing but I don't know anything about those except the models look silly.

peer
Jan 17, 2004

Autoresolve what are you doing

peer
Jan 17, 2004

Lord Hypnostache posted:

Kemmler also mentions something about ratmen and their warpstone in one of his quest battles. Skaven are pretty significantly present in the background.

I also just ran into Dark Elves. As Empire, I got an event about dark raiders sailing humongous ships and taking slaves in coastal provinces.

There's also a Beastmen reference about brayherds stampeding through the forests.

peer
Jan 17, 2004

Rygar201 posted:

Uncheck control large army.

I think that only makes the Waaagh army trickle in as reinforcements when your own units die or rout.

peer
Jan 17, 2004

Kenzie posted:

Why do the skeletons march in such rigid, lockstep formations, while the zombies lurch and stagger around so much? Aren't zombies just skeletons with meat attached to them? :iiam:

I like it thematically, too: zombies lurch and stagger like there's barely any magic in them, skeletons are synchronised because they're just a bunch of marionettes, Grave Guard march normally because they're somewhat aware of what's going on.

I think there's a mod to remove the skeleton marching animation, if you're totally inhuman.

peer fucked around with this message at 11:03 on Jun 12, 2016

peer
Jan 17, 2004

I think Crypt Horrors might be my favourite unit in this game in terms of usefulness. Shame they look so goofy.

peer
Jan 17, 2004

I'm convinced Kemmler was originally intended to receive Krell as some kind of bodyguard from his weapon quest chain. Maybe it'll be added back in at some point.

peer
Jan 17, 2004

1st_Panzer_Div. posted:

I just see him as an extra difficulty mode for VC.

For a good time limit yourself to only using Raise Dead for recruitment, eschewing military buildings (save for hero recruitment I guess). It's fun and feels very thematically appropriate.

peer
Jan 17, 2004

Hunt11 posted:

For Bretonnia to work as a faction then the Wood Elves need to be a faction as well as a big part of Bretonnia is their relationship with the Wood Elves. With Wood Elves in the game Beastman have to be added at the same time as both a factional opponent to make fighting over the woods more interesting, but also a way to make the Chaos event more terrifying as Beastman would give Chaos an ally when it comes to burning the world down.

You seem to be using words like "need" and "have to be" when what you actually mean is "it would be cool if". We're not gonna get three full factions at once as DLC.

peer
Jan 17, 2004

I think Beastmen could be super cool in this game so I hope they're still planned as one of the first added factions.

peer
Jan 17, 2004

Here are some cool news:

quote:

The first WARHAMMER DLC and Free-LC are just being prepared for launch with final testing underway. The majority of the team are already working on the second DLC, and have been for a while as it is considerably bigger than the first.

quote:

There's also a large amount of design, planning and creation of models and artwork already under way for the second instalment of the trilogy. Given the fantastic response to the first game, our plans for the content of the second game have changed and expanded significantly.

Full thing is here: https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/178892/what-are-the-total-war-teams-working-on-updated-24-06-16/

peer
Jan 17, 2004

It seems like a lot of players are hoping for the good old blood DLC, though I'm not sure how well that would work without the sync-kill animations.

peer
Jan 17, 2004

WHAT A GOOD DOG posted:

I feel like it's the latter, but each of the expansions will be standalone.

That's still the plan, as far as we know: expansions that work as standalone if you don't have all three, but combine, Voltron-like, into a giant world map with every faction if you own the lot.

peer
Jan 17, 2004

President Ark posted:

for those not aware of the story behind them, blood dragons are one of the vampire bloodlines descended from a warrior who just wanted to have honorable fights and wasn't into becoming a vampire but got tricked into it; he became a hermit who only turned people very rarely until he discovered something - after killing a dragon in single combat and drinking its blood he was cured of all the negative parts of being a vampire. i think the lore has waffled on whether it's just a really amazing fight that enables blood dragons to shake off the bad parts of vampire or killing and drinking a dragon's blood specifically, but they're this whole order of black knights who just want to have good fights.

In other words it's Super Badass Anime Crap for nerds. Plus there's already a mod with some pretty good looking ones!

peer
Jan 17, 2004

Greatswords should be good too, as long as you keep them away from thunderers/quarrellers.

peer
Jan 17, 2004

Azhag has great voice acting, though. Dis will please da iron hat!

peer
Jan 17, 2004

Let's just make everyone happy and refer to them exclusively as ORRUK IRONJAWZ.

peer
Jan 17, 2004

xthetenth posted:

They are local rebels and how do they get their hands on this stuff otherwise?

Cheap (if shoddy) Kislev-produced steam tanks are all over the black market

peer
Jan 17, 2004

I'm guessing rather than actually attacking you, the dwarf army was attempting to move past you using the underway, and you got a chance to intercept (making you the attacker). And yeah, an army that loses an underground battle is wiped out.

peer
Jan 17, 2004

Sharzak posted:

That's my biggest concern with the future of the franchise--sure, the map is all connected and what have you but I can't help but feel that each addition is goign to have a hard time interacting with the bits of the campaign map that came before it.

Agreed, that's why I think it's a great sign that they added roaming savage orc tribes in the patch. Looks like they understand it's no fun to fight the same faction all game long.

peer
Jan 17, 2004

Grom is clearly the superior goblin legendary lord candidate.

That said, yeah, we know it's gonna be Wurrzag.

peer
Jan 17, 2004

Wow, Greatswords are actually way more effective than I thought at their niche, killing heavy infantry. I'd assumed they were closer to Grave Guard in power, but Greatswords beat halberd Chosen, regular Chosen, Black Orcs, Hammerers, Ironbreakers, and both varieties of Big'Uns - though they'll narrowly lose to Chosen with great weapons. I think in my first game using Greatswords they got massacred by archers instantly and I never bothered training more v:shobon:v

I noticed Grave Guard with great weapons get the same +10 bonus against infantry that makes Greatswords punch above their weight, maybe I should give them another chance too.

peer
Jan 17, 2004

If it's beastmen it better have that one-eyed dude with the fanged whip

peer
Jan 17, 2004

Any nerds in the house

peer
Jan 17, 2004

Whorelord posted:

When I collected Chaos as a kid I loved the Beastmen because there was something genuinely creepy about them. It won't happen, but I'd love it if both Chaos Warriors and Beastmen could access each other's units in the campaign using something similar to global recruitment that the rest of the factions get so you can get some diversified Chaos armies like you could on the TT. Beastmen live in Norsca and the forests of the Empire are teeming with cultists so there's a genuine lore reason to do so too.

It might not be in the base game but I think I can guarantee there will be mods to let Beastmen recruit a few Chaos units and vice versa. It's a neat idea.

peer
Jan 17, 2004

All this shows is that by DLC pricing standards, Age of Charlemagne was astonishingly good value.

edit: speaking of AoC, apparently

quote:

adding the Jabberslythe alone would have been as costly as all the artwork that went into Charlemagne.

peer fucked around with this message at 12:19 on Jul 15, 2016

peer
Jan 17, 2004

I hope they bring back Dr. Nusbacher

peer
Jan 17, 2004

The beastmen variant of Chaos Spawn look cool/gross

peer
Jan 17, 2004

Grail Reliquary as a sort-of monster. The Green Knight as.... a summonable unit?

peer fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Aug 16, 2016

peer
Jan 17, 2004

I don't think another necromancer LL is especially exciting but the rest looks great.

peer
Jan 17, 2004

DLC steam page is up: http://store.steampowered.com/app/404013/

Mortis Engine looks pretty impressive in the screenshot.

peer
Jan 17, 2004

wiegieman posted:

I don't think it's Vlad, I think whoever wrote that description actually meant Ghorst.

That wouldn't make any sense. It's definitely Vlad.

peer
Jan 17, 2004

Arcsquad12 posted:

and seventeen varieties of Squig.

At least after Radious gets his hands on it. Squigs with great weapons. Squigs with bows. Squig chariots. Squig doom divers. Immortal Squigs.

peer
Jan 17, 2004

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

The more I play this game the more I feel like the single-player campaign has some real flaws.

Main thing is that the last third of any given game is always a huge slog. It feels like each game breaks down into the following stages:

1) The initial game where you're trying for a foothold. This part's great.

2) A major struggle against a primary enemy -- either you're #1 and they're #2 or vice-versa.

3) A giant mopping up phase where you have to try to finish off the various listed goals while constantly fighting off spam units from factions you don't give a poo poo about --skaelings, vargs, etc. Also, you don't get to actually fight combats any more, because there are too many of them all the time, so you have to auto-resolve constantly if you want to ever finish the game.

Yeah as someone else said this describes almost every Total War game so far. #1 and #2 are great fun and the main reason (for me) that mini-campaigns tend to be so enjoyable.

peer
Jan 17, 2004

Are the ancestors gone forever if they die? I didn't play long enough to actually get to the agent-recruitment buildings.

I love Skarsnik's little cheers whenever his squig eats a dude.

peer
Jan 17, 2004

When it's the skaven's turn I wonder if we'll get that giant rat amalgamation as a toptier monster unit. Would probably be hell to animate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peer
Jan 17, 2004

"Recapturing" Eight Peaks is your main campaign objective, sort of. It's supposed to give you the penalty.

• Locked thread