Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

Great OP, though please add descriptions/rundowns for Empire Legendary Lords, and you can probably delete the 'Gunpowder' part of the TW explainer since we're not dealing with lines of bayonet muskets here. Also I think the major difference between Empire Spearmen w/shields and Swordsmen, apart from the anti large bonus, is that Swordsmen get a decent charge bonus. Defensively they're pretty equal against infantry. Maybe put in a note on Honest Steel somewhere too.

Robo Reagan posted:

all i know about this game is it made nerds really mad before it released

The DLC thing was funny because most of the rage came from 'gamers', while those of us tabletop gamers poor sods who have actually shelled out hundreds of dollars/pounds/euros for little mans were like "preorder DLC, for maybe $15 max post-release? ok whatever, just glad we're getting a game"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

TK had the best lore, I can't wait for them.

Two city provinces are much easier to defend and raise armies in. Playing as Empire, at least, they also offer two high end unit paths rather than one, so I usually prefer them. Also the armies are easier to consolidate once recruited.

DiHK posted:

Radious uses a ~warhammer~ when he should be using a scalpel. There are artful ways to achieve longer fights that don't make for boring meat grinders. For example the Proper Combat Mod does a much better job of extending combat withonly a few across the board changes and a variety of small tweaks.

Even proper combat needs some tweaking. For instance, trolls can become ridiculously good with a morale buff because pure damage is their strength and low morale is their main weakness. Trolls that stick around for a bit longer or don't break as quickly in the face of ranged fire will kill many more men and demolish a battle line, and casualties don't get the benefit of higher morale so it's not inherently compensated for.

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

terrorist ambulance posted:

I know vcs are supposed to be the natural empire enemy,but they're a couple provinces away and the anti corruption hero is from a higher tech and expensive building that offers few other immediate benefits. It never seems worth it to go over there to grab provinces that'll constantly be unruly and insecure versus, for example, rolling south and taking everything that's not nailed down in Brettonia.

That building (Shrine of Sigmar) is very helpful for dealing with the background Chaos corruption that starts early-midgame. I put one in every province for that reason before remembering oh yeah I can buy warrior priests there too.

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

quote:

Auto resolver We are aware of some of the issues present with the auto resolver. I’ve written about this in the past, but its important to note that the auto resolver is actually a very complicated thing. Under the hood it actually runs a complex simulation round by round of the battle that may take place given the unit match ups. It takes a lot of things in to account, but to prevent it from bloating up massively and becoming too long of a calculation to make (think about end turn times etc), we cant simulate everything. But crucially, we cannot simulate the actions a player might perform. For instance, while the underlying code assumes it’s a great idea to throw your big heavy tank like Giant in to the very front of an engagement so he can soak up lots of damage, a player may think this is not an optimal way to play and would instead protect their giant far more because they are more interested in the outside context of keeping that unit fresh for the next battle rather than focusing on that certain battle. All this proves very difficult to get right.

We had made some improvements to these calculations for Warhammer, but from the player feedback we are hearing, it doesn’t seem like it was enough. We are addressing this some more in Patch 1, with a particular focus on lower entity count units (so heroes or trolls etc) taking excessive damage. We are adding some guards to stop this happening so much and distribute the damage across more of the units.

This is probably a pipe dream but it would be interesting and maybe helpful to the auto resolver if we could have a check on each unit to indicate 'protect' or 'keep in reserve'. Would take some of the load off of the auto resolver having to guess, but I don't know that they could implement it well in the ui, or if that makes autoresolve too attractive/easy to use for CA's taste.

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

It's not "the perfect defense", it just means you have to remember that you have to recruit and use agents (which are good for more than this as well), build up a bit more slowly so you have garrisons ready, and remember that ambush mode exists.

I got creamed on my first Empire campaign on Normal because I didn't want to waste money and building slots on garrisons and didn't bother with agents or ambush. I have since learned to do these things. I still lose the occasional city (as dwarfs on Hard now) due to overreaching or bad luck, but that's part of the fun. It would be boring to steamroll over everything and not be kept on my toes. If you don't like that, CA has made it very easy to mod to your preference, but it is very possible to play within the vanilla constraints and have fun, and I would rather the game take a bit of learning than have it tweaked to be easier for most while breaking Chaos.

There are definitely issues like with the AI being hyper efficient about using and leveling agents, but campaign movement is fine. Sacking settlements and running away before armies can catch them has been your standard barbarian/horde M.O. for tens of thousands of years.

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

Yeah I generally junk AI lords I confederate or relegate them to troop transport duty. Is it possible to mod AI behavior such that they choose to spec combat, army, or support oriented lords as needed? The current system hurts the AI and then the player when they confederate.

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

Does anyone have advice on getting GemFX working? I've seen a youtube video posted showing someone using it and I downloaded it from the TWCenter site but the only one they had was for Rome 2, and when I started using it it stayed stuck on full bloom and funky lighting effects that looked cool but none of the settings I was changing made any difference. Also it affects the UI as well but I've heard that's a known issue. Disabled for now but it looks really cool and I'd love to use it.

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

madmac posted:

Q: RO Whyyyyyyyy?

A: Primary driver to make a change was to improve the late game gameplay. Most Total War games turn in to an auto resolve slog, where nobody can match your might.

What does RO mean?

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

Oh, I was expecting an actual bad or poorly implemented feature based on the whyyyyyy. RO is one of the best design decisions they made, especially given it can be modded out if users like.

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

melee_____melee_____melee_____melee
______range_____range______range______

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

madmac posted:

Spider Rider Archers have poison arrows, which greatly debuff enemy units. They're used mostly as support, to cripple units you're fighting and make them easier to pick off. Night Goblin Archers also have poison arrows though they don't do any more ranged damage than regular gobbo archers do.

So they're perfect anti-cavalry then? Due to the slowing effect of the poison, I mean. Will the poison still take effect against armored enemies like heavy cavalry, or does damage have to be dealt?

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

Report: gimmick army of 6 organ guns, 7 thunderers, some warriors, plus an engineer comes up short vs Archaon's stack, close defeat. I thought the organs would do a lot more damage than they do, with shots punching through multiple enemies, but it appears not. Might have worked with cannons. Which is cool and all but dammit I want to have fancy high tier Dwarf artillery in my army.

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

The Lone Badger posted:

It has a +cavalry unique I believe.
(The building is in Carroburg but you will need to build recruitment structures in Middenheim to take advantage of it)

Actually, is there a list of the unique buildings?

It has both the cav building in Carroburg and the witch hunter/warrior priest unique in Middenheim.

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

Triskelli posted:

It's easy enough to find pdf scans of the Warhammer books if you wanted to use them for reference (I'd link a copy myself but I'm not 100% sure on :filez: rules). Just to foster discussion here's a rundown of their unit roster:

:words:

Thanks for this. Were there penalties to having opposed races like greenskins and dwarfs in the same army?

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

Just finished Dwarf Hard on turn 187, second campaign after Empire Normal. Crushed the VC 'early' on, turn 90 or so, then dealt with the urki while sending a stack to help fight Chaos which ended up ambushing and crippling Archaon's stack (Valiant Defeat). It was my experimental 6 organ guns + 8 thunderers brigade, if I'd gone Ironbreakers and Hammerers he would have been very doable. Shortly thereafter got a message that he had been wounded and Chaos receded. Recolonized the north and confederated the east and middle and done. Thoughts:

The building order takes time to fully understand, as others have said, and money is definitely less tight. Heroes are great for what they do, which is inconvenient as the honor-obsessed dawi do not deal in assassination and intrigue.
Their lack of mobility forces them into that static, set piece battle planning that does get boring after a while. I had some very exciting sieges (both sides) and Underway ambushes, though.

Ironbreakers are fantastic. Their grenades are great for messing with enemy morale and they are generally tough as nails.

Hammerers are also awesome but more as a mobile elite that shouldn't take charges, like dwarf greatswords.

Irondrakes - too short range to be of much use. I wish they had actual flamethrowers that spouted jets rather than fire projectiles, it would make more intuitive sense and would justify the shorter range by doing more consistent heavy damage.

Irondrake torpedoes - very situational, use against trolls or vargheist types. Actually can they do anti-air? Potentially very good against lords/heroes and just as effective vs flying ones, I need to test this out.

Flame cannon - disappointing, see Irondrakes.

Organ gun - I really want to make this work and when it does work it's beautiful but the range is still short enough that I have trouble with getting charged and needing to micro it. Anyone have much luck with these?

Cannon - Solid, all armies should have at least 2 units.

Grudge thrower - I should have experimented more with these, they always did pretty well and didn't have the flat trajectory issues that mess with cannons. e: tested out, the cannons still do a lot more damage because of the power that creates the flat trajectory.

Gyrocopters - only used Brimstone cannon variant. Good fire brigade for taking out troublesome flankers or lords or whatever annoys you, you'll need 2 do really get any attention.

I may try them again later on Very Hard now that I'm familiar with the building and unit requirements. Their fights are much less boring if you're struggling to hang on. For now it's either VC or Orcs.

rockopete fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Jun 15, 2016

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

Ice Fist posted:

The game is better than the other TWs even with those flaws.

I *willingly* did two campaigns back to back and have a third planned. I haven't done that with any other game since Shogun 2 and only did a 2nd campaign there because it was co-op.

This exactly. Done Empire and Dwarfs, now on to Vampire Counts. This is shaping up to be 5 games in one. CA nailed it so well it feels like they've been waiting for years to do this.

I want to specifically point to Andy Hall as the lead writer, referred to in a facebook video from the devs as their 'lore master'. I don't know anything else about him but the writing in this game is terrific, straight out of an earlier codex or WD magazine. Takes me back.

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

You guys weren't kidding about Mannfred and the Varghulf. Kill the enemy lords, their army mashes mine due to numbers, and those two still standing and smashing away until the opposition finally disintegrates. Feels a bit cheap after coming from Empire and Dwarfs.

The raise dead mechanic is great but seems a bit odd. After a giant battle, I have more troop options including Grave Guard, yaaaay. But then the next turn I get even more, Black Knights, then Black Knights with lances/barding and Vargheists and wraiths and next turn after that a varghulf and a terrorgheist! And I hadn't fought any more battles in that province. Is this how it normally works, I need a few turns for 'decay' to fully kick in? Or were the initial troops possibly from an earlier smaller battle and the massive battle didn't affect raise dead until a few turns later?

Mr. Wookums posted:

I've never had more than one quest battle a campaign? Do you have to do something to trigger them or is it a bug I suffer from like the raise dead one.

There are usually one per quest chain, sometimes two. Check your quests in the top right (the largest button on the left) to see what you need to do next, and if you don't have any quests active, check the top area of your LL's skills page to see when the next quest will unlock.

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

The auto-resolve rebalance mod affects all AI-on-AI battles, right? I'd be interested to see how it changes in favor of or against certain factions.

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

Fangz posted:

If you get anything other than skeletons and zombies then it's working for you.

I get the strong feeling that the raise dead bug is really raise dead failing to scale with unit sizes. There's at least one person who said that they never got anything and they were on Medium.

This could very well be. I'm on Ultra and had two early game battles on one site but I'm getting repeated opportunities to recruit Black Knight lances, Varghulfs, Terrorgheists, Vargheists, etc. If I had the money I could probably have 4 new Varghulfs and 3 new Terrorgheists alone by now just from that site.

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

wiegieman posted:

You pretty much have to accept a few turns of revolt-crushing while corruption builds up when playing as VCs and trying to steamroll.

And be sure to crush them quickly because in my experience they prefer to raze rather than occupy.

I was worried about the public order issues but actually it's been nice to have a few armies to crush to build xp and create corpse fields. I haven't deliberately farmed them, just had my hands full and not enough armies to occupy my new conquests. It would be more flavorful to have the rebels be human instead of vampires but eh.

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

Chomp8645 posted:

Wait are you saying that if you are besieging a settlement that you will not take any attrition, even if you would be suffering attrition on the open ground right next to the settlement?

Because if so then :eyepop:

Yes, I've done this several times in the north or as VC. Since you only need to be able to beseige, not occupy, it works just as well with Norscans and Greenskins/Dwarfs as it does with human settlements, or vice versa.

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

mornhaven posted:

The type of rebels you get depends on corruption levels. No corruption gives you native rebels ( humans, orcs, etc). At some point of corruption you get chaos or undead rebels.

I know how it works, I just wish there was an exception for the first turns after VC take a human region. Or maybe raise the corruption threshold.

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

Chomp8645 posted:

You know when I get home I'll throw up a link to the group and see how many people are interested. If we have the bodies then sure.

What is the steam group again? I would definitely be interested.

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

madmac posted:

The free unit will be for VC, thus the flag. (Also they said way back that an extra VC unit would be added post release.)

Good. Still getting the hang of them.

I think I got a little too into Raise Dead to the point that I didn't really focus on my production buildings. When Chaos showed up on two frontiers, having only one killing field to pull from over in East Sylvania started to really hurt.

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

President Ark posted:

if it's a VC unit then it's almost certainly blood dragons, they're a fan favorite

for those not aware of the story behind them, blood dragons are one of the vampire bloodlines descended from a warrior who just wanted to have honorable fights and wasn't into becoming a vampire but got tricked into it; he became a hermit who only turned people very rarely until he discovered something - after killing a dragon in single combat and drinking its blood he was cured of all the negative parts of being a vampire. i think the lore has waffled on whether it's just a really amazing fight that enables blood dragons to shake off the bad parts of vampire or killing and drinking a dragon's blood specifically, but they're this whole order of black knights who just want to have good fights.

Their code also requires that they only drink the blood of great warriors, no random townsfolk, and iirc in tabletop their deal was no spells but excellent fighters. I'd like to see the Lahmians (non-melee casters and seducers, mostly female) and the Strigoi (not-quite-varghulf/gheist wild, regressed vampires who can't pass for humans but are vicious in melee) back in some form, too. Not necessarily soon but in general. I liked the different flavors it allowed for VC.

I vividly remember a White Dwarf story when the current steam tank was reintroduced in the early 2000s about a strigos ripping the hull plates off a tank sent to deal with its predations, but eventually succumbing to the relentless machine. Man they had some solid writers back in the day.

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

Are halberdiers confirmed to benefit from honest steel? The tooltip only says 'swordsmen and spearmen' iirc.

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

Argh destroyed by Chaos as VC on turn 114. I definitely didn't pay enough attention to the agent recruitment buildings and expansion as I should, and desperately lacked vampires and their awesome death magic when I needed it most. Restarting now withe the delay Chaos mod on. instead of events triggering at turns 50 and 100 it makes them 75 and 150, which seems more balanced than Chaos Please Wait's 100 and 200.

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

Gejnor posted:

Im pretty sure ive seen Grimgor sitting around for ages at one point using the global recruitment thing in hostile territory.

Yes, so ive noticed as well, after spending 260+ hours on this game. Its.. barely been a month. :negative:

Also, yes.. yeeees let me bask in your gratitudeeeee...! Let me get weird about this..!

Man I thought 120 was impressive, drat. This game.

Does the mod apply to both AI and the player?

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

Vargs posted:

40k sucks but Ork is a better name than Orc.

Orc sounds Tolkien, Ork is unmistakably GW green hooligans. They should have just called them Orks all round, there's one piece of that AoS-inducing copyright paranoia solved.

Report: VC on VH are slow to expand but loving own. 4 units Crypt Horrors led by my Varghulf as "Fluffy and the Bone Boys" supported by a line of Grave Guard and one of each hero, haven't yet met a Chaos or Varg stack I can't smash. I've grabbed north of me from ruins left by Chaos, so I'm 'shouldering' part of the Chaos advance, and everyone loves me for it. For now... :twisted:

e:
Fluffy and his crew

rockopete fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Jun 29, 2016

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

ChickenWing posted:

Tangentally related - does the AI not prioritize recolonizing ruins at all? There's a bunch of ruined settlements that have been up for grabs and nowhere near any combat action for ages now.

I've seen this and I know other people have mentioned it. Anyone know of a mod that changes this? It sounds simple enough I may make one if there aren't any.

Somewhat relatedly, I wish rebels wouldn't be Vampiric or Chaos until 40 or 50 percent corruption. I know Kislev will rebel back into existence, but not in Chaos or undead form...though I'd love to see a mod for undead Kislev.

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

That's going to make Orcs a bit more challenging...

But for those of us in the middle of a VC campaign, this is perfect timing! Nehek gets a buff, 'hit point regeneration and resurrection effects' in general get buffed, AND Blood Knights! Which won't get hosed on autoresolve now, hopefully. Did the name change from Blood Dragons in the fluff at some point?

Tier 5 shock cavalry, wherever Tier 5 is exactly.
Frenzy (more dmg with high leadership), Armoured and Shielded, Anti Large. No mention of Armour Piercing.

Looks like VC have been tweaked to make wraiths more viable and crypt horrors and terrorgheists less so.

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

Feck, I just realized half my armies are crypt horrors. Definitely a fair nerf, given the price and maintenance. I've wanted to try out the wraiths so that'll be a nice change. Led by my blood knights, naturally!

Looks like the not-autocannons weren't working as intended, might be worth trying them out more now.

quote:

Organ Gun: +Penetration (now penetrates Troll-sized enemies too)
Helblaster Volley Gun: +Penetration (now penetrates cavalry-sized enemies too)

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

:drac:

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

I've heard it's to keep the base game at a T rating (in the US/ESRB, I dunno what PEGI poo poo the UK does), which sounds plausible at least.

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

hemale in pain posted:

They could just release it as free DLC at release though? I know it's stupid to complain about £2 but I always feel like it's such a basic feature which should just come with the game.

Free might mean it still affects the rating? That's all I can think of.

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

Panfilo posted:

Do Runesmiths share cooldowns? If they don't, I could see having two Runesmiths more worth it because they could buff armor/ward saves almost continuously.

No, rune abilities are tied to the character. Definitely worth having two.

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

Kaza42 posted:

Does windows 10 cause issues with gaming? I know that 8 had big compatibility issues for a while, but I've been thinking of upgrading to 10 to be able to use DX12. Anyone have advice on whether or not it's worth it?

It's been pretty good for me for all kinds of games, and it's faster under the hood than 7.

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

Yukitsu posted:

I'm going to fling out what I'm thinking of right now and want to hear what people think about the rules. I'll have them finalized by Monday based on feedback and I'll have the brackets ready for the 8th.
:words:

Sweet. How should we send that preferred list to you?

Also what's the discord/teamspeak/mumble/whatever for TWWH goons?

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

They have enough armor to stand a bit of a grind but their best use is in the charge with their lances. And holy gently caress can they charge. A unit of mine killed 20 marauders in its first run, bodies flying everywhere. That plus the 2 turn recruitment and the fact that they're hardly more expensive in upkeep than the Hexwraiths makes them a hell of a deal.

Watched one of my Blood Knights lean slightly and make a quick thrust with his lance arm to skewer a marauder. The animations are really well done, and with the blood pack the battles are intense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

Yes yes yes yes yes. Speaking for myself, who fell in love with Rome 1, skipped Medieval 2, played a bunch of Empire, then some Shogun 2, it is fantastic.

• Locked thread