Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
So I recently managed my budget poorly and had to go a couple of weeks without much in the way of grocery budget. It reminded me of what my go-to "I'm broke as gently caress" meals are. What do you guys fall back on?

Mine are a poo poo ton of sandwiches. Bread is cheap and most of the ingredients are usually in my fridge at any given point.
Fried egg & cheese sandwich
Pimento cheese sandwiches
PB&Js

Also Chili and chicken & dumplings get thrown into the mix more often in times of poor financial planning.

What do you guys fall back on?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pester
Apr 22, 2008

When I'm broke, I fall back on my Mom's minnesota-recipes. Hamburger gravy, pork chops in cream of mushroom soup. Cheesy hashbrowns with ham. Also, it makes me feel better.

Edit: Also, a lot of breakfast for dinner. I always have eggs and the stuff for pancakes.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

You can make dinners for a week from three cups of rice, a pack of frozen vegetables and a can of tuna.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006
Boneless skinless chicken thighs. Always cheap as hell at the local hippie grocer.

$5 and I've got at least a week's worth of lunch and dinner meat. More if you pad it out with extra rice or beans.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
the cheapest whole chickens you can find (ethnic markets ++), rice + lentils, giant sacks of potatoes, whatever vegetables are the cheapest.

if you're really honestly poor, you can find really really really extra cheap parts, like chicken necks, smoked turkey necks, cured salt ham that will last you a week's worth of meals and add great flavor, giant 5-10lb bags of frozen veg at a cash and carry, etc. I think you could probably feed a family of four nutritiously for 5 days with 20-30 bucks if you really got resourceful.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
If your go-to "I'm broke as gently caress meal" is sandwiches containing eggs and various cheeses you're probably not as broke as you think you are.

Illinois Smith fucked around with this message at 08:35 on Jun 9, 2016

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
People who scoff at boneless skinless chicken breast (like me, in other contexts) can be full of themselves but please please please do not buy boneless skinless chicken breast if your goal is to get the best bang for the buck.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

If my wife did not stop me I would probably eat oatmeal, peanut butter and bananas for every single meal except dinner.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Would you say you want help, you're poor and want to make good food?

Utterly Irrelephant
Sep 6, 2007
ive got a rocket in my pocket
Rice or pasta with everything. Bean and lentil stews. Onions, potatoes, carrots and cabbage. Tea can be cheap caffeine if that is necessary for you. Eggs and oatmeal. Milk.

You can eat pretty healthy, and super cheap off those ingredients. I like lots of garlic, peppers and ginger in my cooking. Meat and cheese aren't very cheap, and don't need to be a part of every meal. Whole chickens, pork shoulders and stewing beef can be very cost effective and delicious when prepared correctly.

indoflaven
Dec 10, 2009
Ketchup sandwiches.

Paranoid Dude
Jul 6, 2014
Peanut Butter toast always satisfies in times of trouble.

If you're like me and your toaster is broken, peanut butter on flaccid, limp bread is alright, but it's not the same.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
Jesus loving christ learn to break down a loving chicken. You're a grownup.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gnBO9FhvCzA

Make stock with the carcass and skim off the schmaltz. Rice/pasta/bulk grains according to bulk availability, for both serving with your chicken parts and soup using the stock you just made, probably with beans and lentils added as well like commonsensical types have suggested. Or just use the stock to fortify your grains.

Now buy lots of leafy greens and seasonal (i.e. cheap) vegetables and cook them in the schmaltz to be served with your starch and protein. Salt everything to taste. Congratulations, poverty has made you eat better than you probably were eating in prosperity.

Heres a separate line for potatoes, don't even get me started on potatoes.

Secret Spoon
Mar 22, 2009

Willie Tomg posted:

Jesus loving christ learn to break down a loving chicken. You're a grownup.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gnBO9FhvCzA

Make stock with the carcass and skim off the schmaltz. Rice/pasta/bulk grains according to bulk availability, for both serving with your chicken parts and soup using the stock you just made, probably with beans and lentils added as well like commonsensical types have suggested. Or just use the stock to fortify your grains.

Now buy lots of leafy greens and seasonal (i.e. cheap) vegetables and cook them in the schmaltz to be served with your starch and protein. Salt everything to taste. Congratulations, poverty has made you eat better than you probably were eating in prosperity.

Heres a separate line for potatoes, don't even get me started on potatoes.

This is what I do, I have a frozen carcass in the fridge right now that Im making stock with this week, as its soup week. I like making soups, I make one thats kinda pho like, I throw in aniseed fennel, cinnamon, coriander, Stuff like that. Made a beef and yucca root soup last week. Basically soup + some basic noodles is how I eat when Im flat broke.

Another good one is making your own re fried beans which cost me almost 5$ to make several lbs.

This is making me miss when lengua was like, 2$ a lb and I could make some really good tacos and sandwiches for like 4 days. Grits is another go to.

Give me some of your potato recipes. I love cooking with potatoes. Guess Im making potato domino tonight.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Willie Tomg posted:

Heres a separate line for potatoes,

Save the chicken fat and roast well salted spuds with it.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum

Please just read this thread, it doesn't need a reboot. All you need is in there already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
If I'm living economically I like tuna and pasta/rice/frozen veg but thankfully I've only ever done that to be a scrooge, not out of nessecity.

• Locked thread