Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Terrorforge
Dec 22, 2013

More of a furnace, really

HORMELCHILI posted:

Ever since installing the donuts thing and cannabis commonwealth every single lunchbox has a fat blunt and a bag of donut mix

This legitimately makes more worldbuilding sense than the vanilla loot distribution

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
For anyone wanting a decent balance mod, check out the unbogus series. The dude takes the totally bogus mechanics of Fallout 4 and makes them gnarly.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Arcsquad12 posted:

For anyone wanting a decent balance mod, check out the unbogus series. The dude takes the totally bogus mechanics of Fallout 4 and makes them gnarly.

How is that anyway? I spotted it when I was like level 97 in my last playthrough and didn't want to add new things at that point, and my most recent playthrough is Horizon so I wasn't about to add other balance mods

Also, for anyone that's been excited about it, Fallout Cascadia has an official teaser trailer up:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1jeloS2s_w

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Azhais posted:

How is that anyway? I spotted it when I was like level 97 in my last playthrough and didn't want to add new things at that point, and my most recent playthrough is Horizon so I wasn't about to add other balance mods

Right now I'm just using his Unbogus Health Scaling and Unbogus Health Ranges standalones. Cuts out the massive health buildup at late levels that makes everyone a bullet sponge, and limits the bullet sponge enemies to those who already have high DR and health stats to begin with. This also makes weapon damage and armor way more important, since headshots are much more lethal when you're only running around with 200 health.

I haven't tried his Unbogus Ranged Weapons mod yet, but it looks like it adds proper projectile ballistics and redesigns the flamer to be more of a liquid napalm streamer. Looks really neat.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The best flamer in a fallout game, and a contender for the best flamer in any game, is the incinerator from F3.

Because it's a flamethrower that also doubles as long range artillery.

I have no idea why it wasn't a mod option for the F4 flamer.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Is there a mod that replaces DR with DT?

Brainamp fucked around with this message at 23:11 on May 21, 2018

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Brainamp posted:

Is there a mod that replaces DR with DT?

https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/7573

https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/11227

The second requires the first, I believe.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

This went "hidden."

Fantastic Alice
Jan 23, 2012

So how's the Sim Settlements/Horizon patch? Love Sim Settlements and am curious if its an ok thing to keep in the firs time I do Horizon. Also, anyone got advice on starting in Horizon?

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

xanthan posted:

Also, anyone got advice on starting in Horizon?

-Tag the required items needed for bandages since you'll be using those a bunch.
-Ditto for radaway. best treatment for radiation is not getting radiation in the first place, because curing it is ridiculously expensive.
-keep another game installed for the times you get stuck in a respawning loop because raiders are camped at your settlement
-Make sure you have a variety of weapons using different ammo, because you'll always be running out of it. melee weapons are actually a good moneysaving bet, because you can solo any super-mutant as long as you time your blocks right.
-keep a pillow near your desk to scream in when 80% of your health is capped because of rads

i need tips too because this mod is going to murder me through stress induced stroke

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell
Radoff is the poor man's radaway and only requires survivalist 1, some glowing fungus, melons (I think), and hubflowers. Make a whole bunch and eat two or three before you go to bed (make sure to wait until the effect wears off before taking the next dose or sleeping).

Also look into making a gas mask, it gives you a 50% ap refresh penalty but is an upgradable rad resistance item, I think it starts out at like 50 resist and goes up from there.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

xanthan posted:

So how's the Sim Settlements/Horizon patch? Love Sim Settlements and am curious if its an ok thing to keep in the firs time I do Horizon. Also, anyone got advice on starting in Horizon?

It... works? But they aren't super well-integrated. You'll most likely basically be treating them as separate parts of the game - let Sim Settlements do its "Rise of the Commonwealth" thing, throw a few Horizon specific stations into the unused areas, etc.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
The automated settlements sim settlements puts up are pretty user unfriendly to add stuff to. Tightly packed, hard to navigate in a lot of cases. I don't know that I'd want to combine them other than for the ease of tossing down residences. And as far as that goes the architect houses from horizon itself have clutter and beds and work well enough, just slap up a warehouse for your engineer stations

Incoming Chinchilla
Apr 2, 2010
I have most settlements as Sims, but am using the drive-in, Covenant and Spectacle Island as Horizon work hubs for missions etc

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

buglord posted:

-Tag the required items needed for bandages since you'll be using those a bunch.
-Ditto for radaway. best treatment for radiation is not getting radiation in the first place, because curing it is ridiculously expensive.
-keep another game installed for the times you get stuck in a respawning loop because raiders are camped at your settlement
-Make sure you have a variety of weapons using different ammo, because you'll always be running out of it. melee weapons are actually a good moneysaving bet, because you can solo any super-mutant as long as you time your blocks right.
-keep a pillow near your desk to scream in when 80% of your health is capped because of rads

i need tips too because this mod is going to murder me through stress induced stroke

Protectrons should be stripped of leg armor and they'll tip right over. Then you can get out your bat or whatever.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Chronojam posted:

Protectrons should be stripped of leg armor and they'll tip right over. Then you can get out your bat or whatever.

Attacking weak points in general is pretty key. On humans it's not a huge deal since body shots are still significant, but on a lot of other species they have very high damage reduction except on their weak points. Not all the weak spots are obvious, either - on synths for example, it's their limbs, not their head. Any time you run into something new you should check it out in VATS and see which part will take the most damage if you shoot it.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Terrorforge posted:

I think both Horizon and Sim Settlements can put some strain on your system, but I never had intolerable problems with them, at least not when playing off an SSD. I guess maybe We Are The Minutemen might be doing something? I'm not really familiar with it.

The one thing I notice is that as a rule, you should not load any mods after Horizon. I don't see how it would cause this specific problem, but generally you want:
(mod)
(Horizon)
(mod_Horizon_patch)

Speaking of, you may want to consider using the aptch for WATM.

Would LOOT work? Im having a hell of a time trying to manually adjust load order because I cant put certain files before other ones. Also I have no idea what makes ESPs or ESMs different.

buglord fucked around with this message at 03:35 on May 24, 2018

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Loot will arrange it at the top, but you can edit the metadata inside loot to increase it's priority

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
what the hell it turns out the 3 minute load times were due to vsync being on during loading? I went from 3 minutes to literally 4-8 seconds. what the hell

Terrorforge
Dec 22, 2013

buglord posted:

Would LOOT work? Im having a hell of a time trying to manually adjust load order because I cant put certain files before other ones. Also I have no idea what makes ESPs or ESMs different.

LOOT does not work well with Horizon.

ESMs are "master files", which more or less means they force themselves to the top of your load order. This is useful for stuff like AWKCR, Sim Settlements or indeed Z_Architect, because they're "core" files that other files hook into. This way there's no risk of someone accidentally making a load order of like
sims_expac_2
sim_settlements
sims_expac_1

I think there are developer-side advantages as well, but that's beyond my understanding. In any case, even if you could move those files you shouldn't, so just leave them at the top.

Are there other files you can't move? What manager are you using?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

buglord posted:

what the hell it turns out the 3 minute load times were due to vsync being on during loading? I went from 3 minutes to literally 4-8 seconds. what the hell

Can we still use the forced vsync trick through the Nvidia control panel? You really should keep vsync on in some capacity because animation speed is tied to framerate for bizarre reasons in this game.

beyonder
Jun 23, 2007
Beyond hardcore.

Arcsquad12 posted:

Can we still use the forced vsync trick through the Nvidia control panel? You really should keep vsync on in some capacity because animation speed is tied to framerate for bizarre reasons in this game.

This mod disables vsync on loading screens. Its a bit twitchy and stops working randomly, might be okay on next loading screen or might have to relaunch the game.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Arcsquad12 posted:

No. It's tied to framerate. Turning off vsync speeds loading time because whatever the engine is doing loading is done per frame - so if a certain load would technically take a 10,000 frames to accomplish, that would be roughly 2.75 minutes at 60fps, but if you're drawing the load screen at 500FPS, you're down to less than 1 second. Give or take a second or two for whatever pre-post load work that is irrespective of frame rate, and there you go. ~3minute loads down to 2-3 seconds.

As beyonder mentioned, there's a mod for that, and here is an alternative that will also (optionally) dynamically adjust shadow and/or God Ray distance/quality to maintain performance at whatever framerate you're targeting. https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/28143 Not sure whether these should(n't) be used together, but they're safe to uninstall and switch around if you want to try one or the other.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

beyonder posted:

This mod disables vsync on loading screens. Its a bit twitchy and stops working randomly, might be okay on next loading screen or might have to relaunch the game.

Yeah this is exactly the one I’m using and it’s good

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

is there any way to fix the thing where missing mod content can cause like stuttering/or like 2-3 second pauses while the game loads while walking around? I mean i assume its missing mod content/the save being corrupted in some way but im not positive

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I don't know if it's missing mod content or the engine struggling to generate the terrain fast enough.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

HORMELCHILI posted:

is there any way to fix the thing where missing mod content can cause like stuttering/or like 2-3 second pauses while the game loads while walking around? I mean i assume its missing mod content/the save being corrupted in some way but im not positive

Sounds more like you're just pushing your vram too hard - what video card are you using, and (roughy) how many texture packs of what sort of texture resolution are you using?

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

This isn't really a big one, but are there any mods that improve melee and make it more viable in the long term?

Terrorforge
Dec 22, 2013

What was that one mod that made it so you can only use heavy weapons while you're in PA?

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Mikedawson posted:

This isn't really a big one, but are there any mods that improve melee and make it more viable in the long term?

This mod rebalances most of the weapons in the game.

quote:

Melee weapons in general
- Some modifications (especially adding blades to blunt weapon) have a more pronounced effect.
- Also, some modification made more powerful at the cost of additional perk requirements.
For instance, knuckles with long blades require Blacksmith 3, but now they are a pretty deadly weapon, which makes them viable later in a game.

And this mod improves the Shishkabob, which the above mod does not touch..

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."
God, I hope this mod comes out someday.

8 Ball
Nov 27, 2010

My hands are all messed up so you better post, brother.
Seemed kinda underwhelming to me, the only good shot was with the improved trees. Rocks are still rocks, the road is still a road.

Erd
Jun 6, 2011
Looks like a pretty accurate 1:1 translation, so I guess the soldiers in McCarran can still accidentally hit a tennis ball into fiend territory.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Given that the fallout 3 in 4 project was shutdown due to copyright issues, I can't imagine the NV one is going to get any further

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

Azhais posted:

Given that the fallout 3 in 4 project was shutdown due to copyright issues, I can't imagine the NV one is going to get any further

bethesda hates NV they probably dont care

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Azhais posted:

It was shutdown because they were stupid.
The rules for making the "Bethesda game A in Bethesda game's B engine" things has always been: One. Don't ask Bethesda permission, don't even contact Bethesda in any way whatsoever. Their automatic response will be a cease & desist, even if what you're doing is perfectly legal. And two. Don't package & distribute any files from the games themselves.
The FO3-in-FO4 project broke both rules.

The Fallout 4: New Vegas guys did freak out after the Capitol Wasteland guys stopped development, and now are apparently planning to record new voice lines for everything. Which is :psyduck:. It's both feasible and legal to make a tool that grabs the necessary files from New Vegas' install folder and does the necessary converting. I guess they're too freaked out, or don't want to make having New Vegas installed a requirement for the mod.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
I mean it was pretty obvious they were going to get in trouble cribbing lines from two famous Hollywood actors they paid a fortune to get hold of so....

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Run the whole script through google wavenet

Namaer
Jun 6, 2004

I've tried to start a new game with auto loot installed a couple times now and I keep getting hangups on quest animations. For a while it was codsworth not doing anything about the flies in sanctuary, either going to kill them with me or giving me more dialogue after i tell him that i killed them, and now the issue is the vault door in 111 won't open after i plug the pip boy in. i know it's auto loot because i kept starting new games and eliminated every other possibility, and i tried using that auto loot mod that's on the in game bethesda mod ui, but it sucks real bad. anybody else having this issue and know a fix?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Raygereio posted:

It was shutdown because they were stupid.
The rules for making the "Bethesda game A in Bethesda game's B engine" things has always been: One. Don't ask Bethesda permission, don't even contact Bethesda in any way whatsoever. Their automatic response will be a cease & desist, even if what you're doing is perfectly legal. And two. Don't package & distribute any files from the games themselves.
The FO3-in-FO4 project broke both rules.

The Fallout 4: New Vegas guys did freak out after the Capitol Wasteland guys stopped development, and now are apparently planning to record new voice lines for everything. Which is :psyduck:. It's both feasible and legal to make a tool that grabs the necessary files from New Vegas' install folder and does the necessary converting. I guess they're too freaked out, or don't want to make having New Vegas installed a requirement for the mod.

Someone somewhere tried to argue that that's not legal because "aiding in piracy" ( :psyduck: ) and people who buy the game are actually just buying a license and drivel drivel babble babble.

The F4 remakes of F3 and FNV could and should just extract and repack the audio files from an F3/FNV installation.