Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Horizon's cooking is what irritated me. I don't remember the rest being a huge annoyance but the usual survival game trope of needing to kill like 8 cows to get enough meat to make a burger is dumb as poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Azhais posted:

Horizon's cooking is what irritated me. I don't remember the rest being a huge annoyance but the usual survival game trope of needing to kill like 8 cows to get enough meat to make a burger is dumb as poo poo

Do you also need to unlock the recipe for 'cook meat on fire' like some other games?

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

The problem is less that you need to kill 8 cows and more that your character by default is so bad at harvesting meat from dead animals that it takes 8 animals to get enough meat to make a burger unless you invest in the hunting perks. Then you're swimming in meat, but I feel you're really pushed into it as I don't know of many viable alternatives.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Magmarashi posted:

If that can't fix it we're all screwed

That's the thing, what does "fix" mean? You're installing Horizon because you're not satisfied with how vanilla FO4 plays. Horizon attempts a tighter, more cohesive experience with a whole bunch of brand new subsystems not present in the base game and tuning the core game systems around their addition. You can break out of those gameplay loops with mods to ignore thirst or whatever, but in doing so you're invalidating half the changes Horizon makes in which case why are you playing Horizon?

FO4 game balance is fundamentally flawed, I don't think anyone will argue against that. Most people don't care and enjoy whichever method they picked that lets them break the game, but if you do care and want to change that then you need sweeping changes that touches on every aspect of the game, and that's what Horizon ends up doing. I don't agree with all the changes Horizon makes, but I can see the gameplay necessities that led to those decisions.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

It depends on what your specific problem is

Like, as a good example, needing so many animals because apparently doing a bad job of cutting up meat makes it invalid for use in hamburger which, honestly, is the most absurd thing I've read today honestly.

isndl posted:

...invalidating half the changes Horizon makes in which case why are you playing Horizon?

Because you like the other half of the changes? Who cares why you choose to install a mod then change bits and pieces of it to your liking, since that's literally what we're doing with the base game already?

"Why bother buying and installing Fallout 4 if you're just going to completely overhaul half or more of the systems and invalidate the gameplay loop"

Sounds kinda silly, huh?

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

isndl posted:

but in doing so you're invalidating half the changes Horizon makes in which case why are you playing Horizon?

I keep seeing questions like this. This is literally the case with every game that has mods ever. You might as well ask "If you are having to mod the game into something else to get what you want, why are you playing it and not a game that literally is the thing you want?"

I like Horizon primarily because it has a gently caress ton of new toys and makes combat less spongey. The rest is just part of the package, and then I console or mod in the poo poo I need to make the other stuff less tedious. I've made it to level 30 in Horizon more than once, and I'll be hosed if I'll do it again.

Horizon does a gently caress ton of poo poo. If you like even a significant fraction of it and dislike the rest, it's not insane or even odd to install it and then mod out the stuff that isn't what you want when you are modding the game in the first place.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Giving FO4 another shot this time using mods; everything looks great so far, with one minor complaint: I'm using "Vogue ENB" as it ws the top endorsed ENB on nexus but frankly I don't find that it looks great; it's a bit over contrast, undersaturated, and over sharp to my eye.

Y'all have a rec for one that makes use of ENB's post processing abilities (i.e., has SSAO, SMAA, etc) and doesn't do much else besides take the Bethesda pallor off?

I think I'm gonna try Fo4ECC https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/5060 and maybe SynVision https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/7406 but I'd appreciate any suggestions

Edit- Synvision looks nice but wow it or something kicked my frame rate in the dick

the yeti fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Feb 29, 2020

isndl
May 2, 2012

Magmarashi posted:

It depends on what your specific problem is

Like, as a good example, needing so many animals because apparently doing a bad job of cutting up meat makes it invalid for use in hamburger which, honestly, is the most absurd thing I've read today honestly.

That's always been my main complaint with Horizon, the early game is particularly harsh until you get the first handful of perk points to get things like your hunting skill up. Once you do so it's no longer so absurd, but it's particularly noticeable when you're starting out fresh and learning the mod mechanics. You can argue that the player should be able to harvest all that meat anyways including the bad stuff, but FO4 crafting mechanics doesn't really support things like food poisoning from tainted meat or whatever, it doesn't even support crafting recipes that use generic ingredients (you use this specific type of meat or you use a different recipe).

Magmarashi posted:

Because you like the other half of the changes? Who cares why you choose to install a mod then change bits and pieces of it to your liking, since that's literally what we're doing with the base game already?

"Why bother buying and installing Fallout 4 if you're just going to completely overhaul half or more of the systems and invalidate the gameplay loop"

Sounds kinda silly, huh?

That's a false comparison, because base FO4 doesn't really have a core gameplay loop. You get thrown so much loot that you never have to stop to resupply and the later changes to Survival mode made no significant changes in that regard. Maybe you end up constantly scrounging resources for settlements or something but that's entirely for vanity and not driven by any mechanical necessity.

marshmallow creep posted:

I keep seeing questions like this. This is literally the case with every game that has mods ever. You might as well ask "If you are having to mod the game into something else to get what you want, why are you playing it and not a game that literally is the thing you want?"

I like Horizon primarily because it has a gently caress ton of new toys and makes combat less spongey. The rest is just part of the package, and then I console or mod in the poo poo I need to make the other stuff less tedious. I've made it to level 30 in Horizon more than once, and I'll be hosed if I'll do it again.

Horizon does a gently caress ton of poo poo. If you like even a significant fraction of it and dislike the rest, it's not insane or even odd to install it and then mod out the stuff that isn't what you want when you are modding the game in the first place.

I'm not saying you shouldn't be modding the game, I'm saying you should be considering whether Horizon should be the mod you use versus other mods. It isn't the only mod that tries to address bullet sponge enemies, or adds new guns, or new enemies, Sim Settlements is there if you want a more expansive settlement system, etc. Horizon doing so many things is both a blessing and a curse because you have so many things off the get-go but also means it doesn't play nice with a lot of mods on top of that - equipment mods aren't balanced for Horizon numbers, Horizon's settlement systems doesn't entirely mesh with Sim Settlements, even seemingly simple things like additional dialogue lines can break functionality if you aren't paying attention to your load order.

That you dislike the Horizon early game enough to console yourself to level 30 and give yourself additional resources says to me that you never were looking for a gameplay overhaul in the first place, or at least not the kind of overhaul Horizon is. Maybe there's something unique to Horizon that you're particularly interested in though. :shrug:

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

That's not the point, because it still doesn't matter. Mod what you want. Make it a big sloppy mess. If a mod gets you most or even half of the way, then modding it to do whatever else you want is perfectly fine and doesn't need to be policed by some kind of right-way-to-play attitude.

isndl
May 2, 2012

That's not the point, because it still doesn't matter. Mod what you want. Make it a big sloppy mess. If a mod gets you most or even half of the way, then modding it to do whatever else you want is perfectly fine and doesn't need to be policed by some kind of right-way-to-play attitude.

I would agree except for when the sloppy mess ends up breaking poo poo and you have to spend way too long figuring out where you hosed up. I went with Horizon a month or so ago after a long hiatus from FO4 and there were several issues that stemmed from me not ticking a checkbox during installation or not having the load order perfectly aligned. Ordinarily I would shrug and move on but Horizon's balance changes means something like not being able to use doctor services in towns is a game breaker.

Have fun modding your game, but spend a little bit of thought on how you're modding it too.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Alternatively, mod thoughtlessly and then post the results.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

One of my favorite Horizon things is that health is more of a resource, and you end up going on these self-determined excursions from camp with whatever supplies you have. You have lots of health but refilling it can be tricky, especially if you're actively engaged. So it's not just Skyrim style apple gobbling during combat, and it's less endless wandering. Go home, swap equipment, build things up, decide what you want/need next or a cool place, and then head out. FO4 vanilla had a similar thing but less cohesive I guess?

Sometimes it's neat to endlessly wander while devouring vegetables and that's also ok!

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

isndl posted:

I would agree except for when the sloppy mess ends up breaking poo poo and you have to spend way too long figuring out where you hosed up. I went with Horizon a month or so ago after a long hiatus from FO4 and there were several issues that stemmed from me not ticking a checkbox during installation or not having the load order perfectly aligned. Ordinarily I would shrug and move on but Horizon's balance changes means something like not being able to use doctor services in towns is a game breaker.

Have fun modding your game, but spend a little bit of thought on how you're modding it too.

I went through a stint of using settlements made with Transfer Settlements, and the bigger ones depend on tons of workshop mods. Of course, I'd install them all at once, which made my game crash-happy as hell. Cue going back to a previous save, reinstalling each mod one at a time until I found this piece of poo poo. In hindsight, maybe not installing mods 10 at a time is the better plan.

drkeiscool
Aug 1, 2014
Soiled Meat

Alternatively, mod thoughtlessly and then post the results.

i just want the mod that makes the story not poo poo

actually, shitposting aside, are there any good mods for "vanilla" story stuff? cut content, expanded lore, that sort of thing?

Mosnar
Apr 21, 2007
Dropping Heavy Things From High Places, LLC

drkeiscool posted:

actually, shitposting aside, are there any good mods for "vanilla" story stuff? cut content, expanded lore, that sort of thing?

Some of these are more quality of life bits ..

Keep radiant quests in the commonwealth:
https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/19967

Restores areas of the Museum of Freedom:
https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/35786

Wild Wasteland in FO4:
https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/17500

Ellen the Cartographer (companion):
https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/15962

Legendary Enemies (goon made):
https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/24420

More Xplore:
https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/28733

Sanctuary Terminals:
https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/11730

The Bleachers: Diamond City:
https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/40267

Tales of the Commonwealth:
https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/8704

Radioactive Stories:
https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/24323

Outcasts and Remnants (requires Fusion City, I think):
https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/21469

Wasteland Survival Guide (goon made):
https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/21936

Cursing Bloatflies (my favorite):
https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/7290

SleuthDiplomacy
Sep 25, 2010
I'm having some trouble getting MO2 working with Nexus links. It seems like it should be a no-brainer, but I've run nxmhandler.exe, connected my Nexus account, and told it to handle download links, but I don't know what I'm doing wrong, and I can't tell where the problem would be.

isndl
May 2, 2012

SleuthDiplomacy posted:

I'm having some trouble getting MO2 working with Nexus links. It seems like it should be a no-brainer, but I've run nxmhandler.exe, connected my Nexus account, and told it to handle download links, but I don't know what I'm doing wrong, and I can't tell where the problem would be.

Gonna need more details on what not working means, at which point in the download process does it break down? Did you check to make sure your browser has the file association for nxm links correctly configured? MO2 can't do anything if it's not actually being handed the link.

SleuthDiplomacy
Sep 25, 2010

isndl posted:

Gonna need more details on what not working means, at which point in the download process does it break down? Did you check to make sure your browser has the file association for nxm links correctly configured? MO2 can't do anything if it's not actually being handed the link.

Firefox says it doesn't know how to open the address, though I've tried associating the links with MO2. I even tried associating it with nxmhandler.exe, just to test things, and that didn't work either.

isndl
May 2, 2012

SleuthDiplomacy posted:

Firefox says it doesn't know how to open the address, though I've tried associating the links with MO2. I even tried associating it with nxmhandler.exe, just to test things, and that didn't work either.

In the Firefox Options, there's a section labeled Applications that has content type and action (mine has 'nxm' and 'use NXM link proxy' respectively). If that's not there, that's what you need to fix. If you just installed MO2 maybe you need to restart Firefox.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

drkeiscool posted:

Never trust modders to create good stories.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Never trust modders to create good stories.

Incredible contribution

Anyway, I just did a run through of Children of Ug-Qualtoth and, while not so story-heavy, it has a pretty good atmosphere and does some decent horror stuff with its weird dungeon crawl

SleuthDiplomacy
Sep 25, 2010

isndl posted:

In the Firefox Options, there's a section labeled Applications that has content type and action (mine has 'nxm' and 'use NXM link proxy' respectively). If that's not there, that's what you need to fix. If you just installed MO2 maybe you need to restart Firefox.

Tried it out, but that doesn't seem to work either. I've switched my settings to Use NXM link proxy, and restarted Firefox and Mod Organizer. Could it be a problem with Firefox itself?

EDIT: Decided to say "gently caress it," used Edge and it works fine. Finally it has a use!

SleuthDiplomacy fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Mar 2, 2020

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?
Do you want to start a new thread now or at any point? The information in the OP is too old to even be useful.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Pontificating rear end posted:

Do you want to start a new thread now or at any point? The information in the OP is too old to even be useful.

I only play F4 now and then, would appreciate it if the thread had my OG Fallout mod collection in it.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

drkeiscool posted:

Good, I don't know, but there is supposedly Project Valkyrie that adds another faction and a bunch of quests that adds an alternative way to beat the game. It brings back a facsimile of Sarah Lyons from Fallout 3 (barely aged at all) and a major segment of the mod involves something called Club Snuggle, but hey, if you for some reason can't stand the idea of beating the game with any of the vanilla factions, it's the only mod I've heard of that adds an alternative. I have not tried it personally, I just know it exists.

isndl
May 2, 2012

SleuthDiplomacy posted:

Tried it out, but that doesn't seem to work either. I've switched my settings to Use NXM link proxy, and restarted Firefox and Mod Organizer. Could it be a problem with Firefox itself?

EDIT: Decided to say "gently caress it," used Edge and it works fine. Finally it has a use!

If it's still broke the same way after adding nxm links to the settings I have no idea what's wrong. If you're happy using Edge though then good enough I suppose.

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

Good, I don't know, but there is supposedly Project Valkyrie that adds another faction and a bunch of quests that adds an alternative way to beat the game. It brings back a facsimile of Sarah Lyons from Fallout 3 (barely aged at all) and a major segment of the mod involves something called Club Snuggle, but hey, if you for some reason can't stand the idea of beating the game with any of the vanilla factions, it's the only mod I've heard of that adds an alternative. I have not tried it personally, I just know it exists.

Project Valkyrie, Outcasts & Remnants, and Fusion City Rising are all from the same group of modders, and pretty interconnected. Club Snuggle is full of pimps and hookers. At one point, you go back in time and kill Hitler, who is wearing a dress.

I had fun playing it, and appreciated the effort it took to in bring it into the world, but it's pretty far from what I'd call a good mod. When you finish Sarah Lyons' quest, she takes over the BoS, and during the whole time the two of you are talking to Elder Maxson, her kid is just spouting smartass lines about how Maxson's a fascist and stuff. Very author-insert heavy stuff, from beginning to end. I had already finished the game before I installed it, so I can't speak directly to how it handles the Institute, but I can't imagine the tone would be much different there.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I feel like I should speak up for:

Sim Settlements: https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/21872

SS: Industrial Revolution: https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/25213

SS: Rise of the Commonwealth: https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/28599

SS: Conqueror: https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/37000

Sim Settlements lets you put down 2x2 (standard floor structure) plots Sim City style, and your settlers will move into a residential plot and pick a job plot to work that levels up as time passes. They'll also build various structures on those plots that get more complex as the plot levels up.

Industrial Revolution adds an "advanced industrial" plot category that upgrades according to a tech tree - often there will be conditions to get there, like the most advanced type of water purifier also requires you to have made a charcoal pit out of a lumber plot, because charcoal filters. Most of the top-tier plots also include some kind of little quest, like the top-end distillery sending you on a drunken bender if you drink too much out of the tub, leaving you to piece together what happened after. Special bonus for the brewery, which as a consequence puts beer recipes all over the Commonwealth for you to collect and covet.

Rise of the Commonwealth adds premade "city plots", with plots and set dressing in equal measure, and 1x1/2 "interior" plots that fit better into existing settlement geometry. The city coalesces around a planner's desk, which takes all your extra scrap booze weapons and armor to increase a settlement's defense rating, ready it for upgrades, and temporarily juice settlement happiness (required for some plot upgrades).

Conqueror prebuilds some or all of those city plans, and lets you set yourself up as a wasteland warlord conquering place after place, or a Minutemen breaking a whole bunch of raider camps, or anywhere in between.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
I mean for anyone considering setting up a new thread for F4 modding here is my post of all the retro recreations and redesigns from the past game now, all you'd need is some fancy eye catching image or two for it.

quote:

Fallout 1:

Classic Fallout 1 & 2 10MM Pistol
Rangemaster Hunting Rifle
10MM SMG (Nuka World DLC required)
DKS-501 Sniper Rifle
Watzz Laser Rifle
Watzz 2000 Laser Carbine
.223 Revolver (That Gun)
Mauser Pistol
AK-112 Assault Rifle requires the Nuka World DLC.
Classic West Coast Cattle Rod
M2A1-9 Flamethrower
Classic Explosives and Rocks

Fallout 2:

Grease Gun SMG
HK G11 K2
The Bozar
Bullpup Bozar
The Light Support Weapon
The Avenger Minigun
Desert Eagle
12.7mm Pistol (SigSauer P127)
Glock 86 Plasma Pistol
Winchester P94 Plasma Caster
YK42B - Pulse Rifle
12.7mm SMG
Classic M72 Gauss Rifle

Fallout Tactics:

The 9mm Browning Pistol
MP-40
Sig Sauer P320

Fallout 3:

Classic Super Sledge Hammer
Fallout 3 style 10MM Pistol OR Fallout 4 version of FNV 10MM Pistol
Fallout 3 Flamethrower
Chinese Assault Rifle
Fallout 3 Dart Gun.
Henry Repeating Rifle (Requires Far Harbour DLC)
R91 Assault Rifle (optional mod to replace base F4 assault rifle with this one here)
Cleaver
Rockwell CZ53 Personal Minigun
Radical Ripper
Revenge of the Alien Blaster - Nuka World

Fallout New Vegas:

NCR Service Rifle/Assault Carbine
Caravan Shotgun
Hunting Shotgun
Riot Shotgun
Hunting Revolver/Ranger Sequoia
The Bumper Sword
Chainsaw
Remotely Detonated C4
.45 Auto Pistol and A Light Shining In The Darkness Unique
China Lake Grenade Launcher & Holo Rifle
Varmint Rifle
M1 Garrand
Ruger Mk V
Laser RCW! (The laser firing tommy gun)
AEAR-1 Prototype
45-70 Hunting Revolver (Standalone) (Far Harbour Needed)
Nuka Breaker
Katana
Fire Axe
Pew Pew Laser Pistol
Golden Glove (just one sadly)
Left Boxing Glove
Fist of Rawer Deathclaw Gauntlet
Gehenna Shishkebab
Chance's Knife
Medicine Stick (Far Harbor required)
The Humble Cudgel
The Mysterious Magnum
Paciencia Hunting Rifle
Orbital Strike Cannon - ARCHIMEDES II style weapon
New Vegas Uniques 19 - Love and Hate Brass Knuckles
New Vegas Uniques 20 - Weathered 10mm Pistol
Falllout 3/New Vegas Heavy Incinerator

Lore Friendly Uniques:

Real Throwing Weapons
Handmade Assault Rifle Pipegun Replacer mod requires Nuka World, replaces ugly pipe weapons in early game with these assault rifles instead.

NON LETHAL SUPER OPTION MODS HERE

Knockout Framework makes it so blunt weaponry knocks out NPC and gives you an extensive system of interactions with them, Non Lethal Armory from the same modder gives you more choice with death free weaponry.

Home made Militia Rifle
Tomahawk
Punk Crowbar
Mad Can Fury Bean Can Club
Handmade Revolver
Air Pistol
Crude Blowback
The Pipe Shotgun
The Bison Shotgun
Springfield M1903 bolt action rifle
Makeshift AT Rifle
Plasma Cycler
Vaut-TEC MPl SMG
Fusion Gun
Institute Sword
Prototype Gauss Rifle
Institute Turbo Plasma Rifle
Photonic Plasma Cannon
The AEAR-1 - An Automatic Laser Assault Rifle
Plasma Swords
Watzz Electrics Gauss Rifle prototype!
AARP (Alternative Assault Rifle Properties)Expands and turns the base games Assault Rifle into a heavy support gun with other variants using unique parts.
Stevens M-520 Shotgun
Covadonga's Remington 870 Shotgun
The French MAS-38 SMG
Mk 41 Gyrojet Heavy Machine Gun

This is a sort of legacy mod add on list for outfits, armor and power armor for those first time modders who just want to add a bit more lore friendly content to the game before going nuts. This stuff will basically be either from the previous lore friendly entries of the franchise, or use assets/stuff inspired by official art book/promotional materiel and not stick out too much.

Both the CBBE and AWKCR mods are mandatory and strongly suggested of course.

Fallout 1/2/Tactics:

Classic Enclave Advanced Power Armor
Enclave Remnant Officer's Uniform
Classic M1 US Army style combat armor helmet replacement
Classic Cloth style Vault Jumpsuit
Utility Vault Suits
Classic Brotherhood Scribe Robes
Followers Of The Apocalypse Lab coat
Mid Western Chapter of the BOS Power Armor
Tribal Power Helmet and Outfit
Vault Suit Utility Belt

Fallout 3:

F3/NV Style Vault Outfits Pack
Tunnel Snake Greaser Jacket Vault Suit Combo
Chinese Stealth Suit
Fallout 3 Chinese Commando Uniform
Colonel Autumn's Coat
Classic F3/NV Metal Armor
Classic Combat Armor from Fallout 3/FNW
Ashur's Tribal Style Power Armor
Pitt Visitors Power Armor set
Merc Charmer outfit
Merc Troublemaker outfit
Merc Cruiser outfit
Capital Wasteland Remake Fallout 3 Merc Outfit Sets! also includes the duster and sheriff hat.
Capital Wasteland Civilian Outfit Pack
Raider Iconoclast armor
Enclave X02 Power Armor
Enclave Colonel Uniform
Enclave Officers Uniform
Prototype Medic Power Armor
Classic F3/FNV Underwear Replacer
Capital Wasteland Fallout 3 Ghoul Mask HD
AntAgonizer Armor

Fallout New Vegas:

NCR Veteran Ranger Armor
Salvaged NCR Power Armor
Riot Armour New Vegas Riot Police armor without the duster and NCR clobber.
Benny's Daisy Suit
Legate Armor
Vera Keys formal cocktail dress from Dead Money
US Air Force style power armor
High Quality NCR Infantry uniforms by Mr Mobius
High Quality NCR Patrolman and Trooper Armor sets from the Cascadia TC mod which is WIP.
NCR Recon Fatigues & Beret
NCR Ranger hat and the Authority aviator style shades
Legionary's Gear from Caesars Legion
Powder Ganger outfits
The Kings Greaser Jacket & Jeans combo
Bad rear end Dweller Vault Coat
Dead Money Hazmat Suit
Desert Ranger Combat Armor
Stealth Suit - New Vegas and Stealth Suit - New Vegas - Voice Add-On

Lore Friendly Originals:

Wanderer's Trench Coat
A More Defined & Detailed Vault Suit
West Tek Tactical Goggles
Concept Art Synthetic Armor/Gear
Two Irma Concept Outfits From The Art Book
A Redcoat/Continental Army soldier uniform
Wasteland Engineer outfit based on the art for one of the Workshop DLC.
Reskin of the vanilla game flight helmet to something that isn't a hidious shade of vomit yellow.
1930's Retro Fashion For Men.
1950's Feminine Outfits (for woman obv)
1950's style US Army Officer Uniforms
Commonwealth Surplus basically adds a bunch of military and civil service style uniforms (cops and other minor branches) to the Commonwealth. This mod is also a sneaky Gunner visual variety mod as it adds most of the new stuff to their gear.
Custom T-49 Armor of the Shoddycast Fallout lore mascot, The Storyteller
2nd World War 2-Tone style Military Fatigues For Pre-War Army uniforms
Eli's Armor Compendium is another mix and match default assets to create original lore friendly clothing and accessories style mod, actually some really nice stuff there for people who just want a bit more visual variety outside factions.
Beyond Boulder Dome - Elite Armor
Futuristic BioSuit Custom Armor and Helmet
Lady And Gentlemans Colonial Attire
West Tek Tactical Gloves
Vim Bomber Jacket
RepConn Hazardous Environmental Suit

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Oh yeah, sim settlements kicks lots of rear end if you dig the building

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008
If it's about to be new post time, I'm gonna quote myself for posterity:

Mooktastical posted:

So I think I found a mod that needs added to the OP. Workshop Lag Fix. I've been using it, and it's exactly what it says on the tin.

A description of the garbage it ostensibly eliminates:

quote:

boils down to the game using some incredibly inefficient code to figure out what objects you can build in workshop mode. Whenever you start Workshop mode, the game evaluates the conditions on every single constructible object in the game to find out if they belong in the workshop - this includes even non-workshop items like weapon mods and chems. And it does that not just once (!), but repeats this loop for each and every workshop submenu you have!

If you install a mod that adds two new submenus to your workshop, one would reasonably expect to incur just a small overhead of a couple of additional checks. Instead, in reality, this causes two more loops through every single craftable object in the game.

As you install more mods that add any kind of craftable object to the game, entering the workshop will inevitably and perhaps noticeably slow down, even if these objects have nothing to do with the workshop.

And to make it all worse, every time you exit the workshop, the game tears down all this data it worked so hard to build and starts over!
:allears:

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

sim settlements should be #1 recommended for any number of reasons, whether just streamlining building poo poo up (instead of just manually building every house floor by floor, wall by wall, roof by you get it) to Rise of Commonwealth letting settlements run themselves and build them up as they see fit to Conqueror expansion starting up the game with all the settlements built up and fighting over them with factions or having a more early raider gang to join to do an "evil" path than going through the level 30+ gauntlet of nuka world

its only downside is while they've gone to great strides to cut down on bloat and give you a ton of options sim settlements once they're all built up will bring the engine to a heel.

im not really sure what kind of rig they test them on, cause even the current ones (which are verrrrry paired down) still bring my system to a slog and really its less graphics stuff than just all the scripting going on. my recent playthrough its still a shitshow having settlers actually show up standing behind merchant counters

basic sim settlements lets you just turn a blank settlement into a something looking like a village in short time though, its great

edit: the workship lag fix mod i think is by r2000 who does a lot of other good F4SE stuff, like Extended Dialogue Interface, no crafting highlight, etc, just click on the name there and go down and add everything not out of date and you cant go wrong

important double edit: if you do SimSettlement Conqueror pre-build cities heads up you basically got to spend like two hours chilling in vault 101 on start up cause if you die/reload on same save for any reason it'll gently caress up the set up (if you tell the mod to set up nearly every single settlement) It is cool having like nearly every settlement built up into actual settlements as you run into them, but yeah takes time to set up

Berke Negri fucked around with this message at 11:38 on Mar 2, 2020

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

Berke Negri posted:

edit: the workship lag fix mod i think is by r2000 who does a lot of other good F4SE stuff, like Extended Dialogue Interface, no crafting highlight, etc, just click on the name there and go down and add everything not out of date and you cant go wrong

Link for the lazy. Holy poo poo, you weren't kidding. So many no-brainers there it's kind of depressing that he's not working for Bethesda so poo poo like that is just standard

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe

Mosnar posted:

Some of these are more quality of life bits ..

-snip-

Cursing Bloatflies (my favorite):
https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/7290

Also, a fave of mine
Syringer Commonwealth of the Bloatfly
https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/15398
"This mod is a joke. Does bloatfly infectious. "

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

I like Sim Settlements a lot. I tried to get into Horizon but I found that bootstrapping myself to the point where I have adequate food and water and a way to manage rads was just too loving tedious

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Alright, here's my mod list

Besides which I have shadowboost, SynVision enb/reshade.

To start out I tried primarily for mods that take the rough "Yep that's bethesda" visual and gameplay edges off the game and help it run like less of a pig than any total overhauls, although Sim I Settlements looks really cool and I"ll have to try that. Any other suggestions for visual spice, nice textures or relatively lore friendly stuff would be great.

Edit- when I say runs like a pig, I mean with i5 and a GeForce 1080, game runs solid 50-60fps until I get near city, which seems to be a common phenomenon but irritating.

the yeti fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Mar 3, 2020

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
What are currently the best mods for improving what you can manually build in the game (as opposed to Sim Settlements)?

I think I used Homemaker in the past, but that was years ago.

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

Ive been pulling my hair out over the last few weeks, because my fallout 4 install seems to be unable to use more than 4 GB of system ram, while have 16 in my computer.

I'm trying to get ENBoost to remove the memory cap but task manager and Fallout Performance Monitor both claim it's using a maximum of 4 :'/
The entire game is choppy as gently caress still. At some point Sim Settlements just brings it to its knees...

Anyone else have this, or perhaps can check if their modded games go over this value?

E;

heard u like girls fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Mar 22, 2020

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

heard u like girls posted:

Ive been pulling my hair out over the last few weeks, because my fallout 4 install seems to be unable to use more than 4 GB of system ram, while have 16 in my computer.

I'm trying to get ENBoost to remove the memory cap but task manager and Fallout Performance Monitor both claim it's using a maximum of 4 :'/
The entire game is choppy as gently caress still. At some point Sim Settlements just brings it to its knees...

Anyone else have this, or perhaps can check if their modded games go over this value?

E;

Have you tried validating steam files? I had bizarre slowdowns for no reason that went away once I did that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

I had already moved my install out of program files etc so i'm going to nuke the entire thing and start over lol.