Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hobo on Fire
Dec 4, 2008

Cavauro posted:

the audio quality in the Darlene mod is way worse than Heather Casdin. I wonder if the latter was re-recorded at some point before I ever tried it out
Llama must have cleaned it up then, because I listened to a lot more of Darlene's voice acting and always considered it at least passable. I'll have to give Heather another shot next playthrough.

Hobo on Fire fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Sep 26, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Hobo on Fire posted:

I tried out Heather Casdin since the author decided it wouldn't be Willow 2.0... Willow being the companion mod she made for New Vegas that was very well done from a technical standpoint but was rather questionable in terms of actual content.
The first thing i noticed about Heather Casdin was that the audio quality for her dialogue was garbage. I kept her around for a while since it was clear there was an attempt to create an actual interesting character with a fleshed out back story, but I eventually got so sick of hearing a fan turn on whenever she spoke I ditched her and haven't tried again. That was shortly after the mod was released though, so maybe Llama updated the audio since then.

A few spots below that on the list is Ellen the Cartographer, which is a much less ambitious mod but one that still fits well enough into the game. Total amount of content is comparable to the vanilla followers. https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/15962

Darlene is a bit more interesting, with her relationship with the player being gated more behind time spent around her than by the number of locks you pick or speech checks you pass. Lots of dialogue, lots of comments on locations and quest points... all with a French accent. I haven't used her for a while but it seems like the author is still maintaining the mod, hopefully without getting into too much feature creep.
https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/36254

Edit: Oh yeah, I tried Buttons at some point too. I found him rather forgettable, but a decent enough addition for a minutemen playthrough. https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/31710

Edit Again: There's also Tales from the Commonwealth, made by the same people who did Interesting NPCs for Skyrim. I considered the followers it adds a bit of a letdown though. Quoting myself from way back when:

https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/8704

Cheers mate. I'll give Heather and Darlene a try. I already had Tales but had forgot it added companions. From what you're saying it sounds like it has the same issue as Interesting NPCs back in Skyrim though, where the companions were def not the best npcs it added.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
There was a companion mod, a Khajiit named Inigo in Skyrim. That is literally the only good companion mod I've ever seen in any game, the rest have been just varying levels of awful. Just had a PTSD-style flashback of the Imoen romance mod....

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Companion mods always just miss the mark. I tried the Heather Casdin mod and the audio quality wasn't bad but it was mixed differently enough from the regular dialogue that it seems wrong every single time she speaks. I think it just doesn't change volume no matter how far away she is.

Same deal with quest mods imo. They can be 90% of vanilla quality or better and just be completely ruined by the 10% that's glaringly sub-par.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

I'm liking Heather so far. The audio is good enough not to bother me, she's pretty likeable, haven't seen anything creepy or weird yet and she has a lot of reactivity to locations and quests.

She's not Inigo, but sadly very few rpg companions, even official ones, are.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Regarding Casdin, i checked that mod out again and I can understand the audio quality issue better now. It's not really better than 'Darlene' like I had thought; it's just differently bad. The dialogue sounds thin yet directly in your ear in a way that doesn't match the rest of the game. It's easy for me to get used to I guess. It's too bad 'The Machine And Her' is so wonky about dialogue options and scripting because it's probably the most enjoyable companion mod otherwise. Just somebody's generic sci-fi plot modded into Fallout 4, but it's earnest

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth
I've been using Fallout 4 Horizon for a while, and even with the wiki, I don't think I've got a handle on all the new settlement mechanics. Like, how long do missions take? Is the a pop-up when they're over? How do I see the results?

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
Does anyone know if Quest mods in general break things on a modded playthrough? I noticed that none of the wabbajack lists include any quest mods, and I wanted to add them myself, but I wanted a heads up before I go diving into it whether or not it's going to be an uphill battle.

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

Boba Pearl posted:

Does anyone know if Quest mods in general break things on a modded playthrough? I noticed that none of the wabbajack lists include any quest mods, and I wanted to add them myself, but I wanted a heads up before I go diving into it whether or not it's going to be an uphill battle.
Like with all mods, it depends on what it touches. Basically if you have two mods that affect the same thing, the one you load last takes precedence but the one you load first still keeps affecting whatever else it touches that the later mod doesn't touch. If the offer you load first looks for the changes it expected to make and instead finds whatever changes the later mod made, it might break. Or if any mod depends on vanilla behaviour and another mod changes that behaviour.

In extremely simple terms, you want to avoid having mods that overlap too much. As long as they get to do their thing without something else messing with that thing it's usually fine.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Has anyone tried using drat Apocalypse?

https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/33812?tab=description

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/9392/

The Mysterious B.I.G

https://youtu.be/FK2hYjle7-o

tom kite
Feb 12, 2009

Mycroft Holmes posted:

I've been using Fallout 4 Horizon for a while, and even with the wiki, I don't think I've got a handle on all the new settlement mechanics. Like, how long do missions take? Is the a pop-up when they're over? How do I see the results?

I think you go back to the command table and you can read a report on the result.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
https://youtu.be/Q2QoTwOYF8U

Sim settlements 2 trailer

He's got a faq up too
http://simsettlements2.com/

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I swear to god kinggath is like, Todd Howard's good twin who is working in the shadows to redeem Bethesda

Shroud
May 11, 2009
Anyone know why I would keep getting the error message "Fallout 4 has stopped working" after I click "Play" in the launcher?

I've uninstalled the game, MO, and deleted the folders that were left behind. I reinstalled from Steam, verified the game files, and set both the launcher and the main executable to "Run as Administrator". I have no idea what to try next (aside from wiping the computer, but that's not an option). Any ideas?

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Maybe bad ini settings?

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos

Shroud posted:

Anyone know why I would keep getting the error message "Fallout 4 has stopped working" after I click "Play" in the launcher?

I've uninstalled the game, MO, and deleted the folders that were left behind. I reinstalled from Steam, verified the game files, and set both the launcher and the main executable to "Run as Administrator". I have no idea what to try next (aside from wiping the computer, but that's not an option). Any ideas?

When you uninstalled from Steam, did you make sure there was nothing left behind in the folder? Like did you check the folder was gone? Steam doesn't always delete everything, so if you had something stupid in your data folder loving poo poo up, then it wouldn't be deleted in a reinstall.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

Azhais posted:

https://youtu.be/Q2QoTwOYF8U

Sim settlements 2 trailer

He's got a faq up too
http://simsettlements2.com/

looks pretty good

i took conqueror off cause i found it making things a bit unstable having it do what i wanted it to do (prebuild up a bunch of settlements so they were already small towns by the time i got to them) but id be down to return to sims once this is out

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Berke Negri posted:

looks pretty good

i took conqueror off cause i found it making things a bit unstable having it do what i wanted it to do (prebuild up a bunch of settlements so they were already small towns by the time i got to them) but id be down to return to sims once this is out

Really?

Was trying to do the same thing, but hosed up the in game setup. Sounds like a good thing now.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Shroud posted:

My guess is there's something in My Documents that's still doin stuff. Uninstalling the game would leave anything in My Documents, and that frequently includes .ini files

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

I feel like playing this again. Is this as... incredibly twitchy about things as New Vegas is? Or can I just like, slam a bunch of stuff in and tell Mod Organizer 2 to sort them and go?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Zereth posted:

I feel like playing this again. Is this as... incredibly twitchy about things as New Vegas is? Or can I just like, slam a bunch of stuff in and tell Mod Organizer 2 to sort them and go?

Other than times when I've tried to add every item/itemization mod on the nexus to the game at the same time I've never had to do more than just toss mods in, run LOOT, and go.

Obviously depends what you're trying to mod in, but I've not had problems unless I went deep into the weeds

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Oh is everything going to require all the DLC like New Vegas does? Because I don't have any.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
most of the big mods will anyway

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Time for my interesting mod post of the month!

WEAPONS!

Fallout New Vegas style Recharger Gun both pistol and bigger weapons when modded!
Luger yes I know this is the 3rd one, but this one actually has animated parts including the sexy toggle action.
Red Menace a prototype type Anti-Materiel rifle.
Nambu Type 14 Pistol
Fallout London - Webley 1913
SR-1MP A small mod that adds a pistol with its own set animations.
Taurus Judge

Syringer Overhaul Visual and gameplay overhaul for vanilla Syringer. New look, new modifications, new syringes, more science. From a pure abomination to a elegant piece of metal.

Vertibird Sword
Bowie Knife
Nimrout Combat Knife Expansion Pack
Feral Blade

Quick Gun Modification Modify various properties of your guns on the fly without having to use a workbench. Especially useful in combat situations. Works with vanilla and mod-added weapons. Modular and easily expandable.

Clothing and Armor!

Reborn Series - Cage Armor
CROSS Vertibird Flightsuit and Jacket
Ghosts - Cross Explorer Outfit
Lord Humungus outfit
Children of Atom Power Armor Child of Atom themed power armor, 3 custom sets and a t45 paint job.

New Systems & Improvements!

More Doctors (For Survival Mode)
Animated Ingestibles 1st AND 3rd person.
Flyable Personal Vertibird
Dynamic Weight System V1.01 a GTA SA/Fable 2 system where you gain weight by eating lose it by doing stuff.
True Invisibility Redux
Natural Grasses and Groundcovers
Tweaked Leveled Lists (TLL) Level lists changes to incorporate DLC items into the base game as well as redoing some lists to be more realistic. Find clothes in suitcases, not pipe guns!
Bullet Casing Redone

MISC! basically not enough of whatever for separate sections!

Sanctuary - No Dead Dog and Raider

Sombre Mountain Mini DLC - For Miners and Cave Dwellers A village built around an inactive volcanic crater. And a mine harboring deep secrets. Can you get to the bottom and survive? Oh and there's a cool workshop.

MiRF (Military Radio Freedom) This mod makes the MM radio broadcast sound like it is being transmitted over a radio. The MM Radio Operator story line comments and artillery strike dialog have been modified but in person dialog remains vanilla. Music, settlement attack and generic messages (time of day, all clear, be safe) have all been replaced with military radio chatter.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Oh drat it, my game is crashing when I get near the bridge on the way to vault 111. Does some specific event fire there? It just vanishes to desktop without an error message, so I'm not sure what the problem is.

EDIT: installed a mod to skip intro and still had the crash after moving around a little, hm.

EDIT EDIT: it was one of Super Mutant Redux or Raider Overhaul, oh well, guess I'll just not use them.

3EDIT: hm, it did it again, but after I got most of the way through vault 111.

Zereth fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Oct 8, 2020

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Hang on I've had it crash while cocking the 10mm pistol, when I just landed from a jump... is this SOUND related?? I dont' think I put in any sound mods though

EDIT: is there like, a crash error log somewhere I could look at?

Zereth fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Oct 8, 2020

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I do not have answers for you, my fallen friend, but just know that I and many others here feel your pain.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

Electric Phantasm posted:

Really?

Was trying to do the same thing, but hosed up the in game setup. Sounds like a good thing now.

yeah depending the amount of settlements you prebuild it can take awhile (most everything is maybe like 40 minutes of idling in vault 111 i think)

it is kind of neat having all the settlements already built up into tier 3 towns by the time you come across them

oddly enough my last time everything worked pretty fine until i finally made my way down to somerville of all places and then i just kept getting CTD near it (basically just run unofficial patch, XDI, some f4se plugins)

this was like eight months ago so maybe that was just a issue with that build

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Zereth posted:

Hang on I've had it crash while cocking the 10mm pistol, when I just landed from a jump... is this SOUND related?? I dont' think I put in any sound mods though

EDIT: is there like, a crash error log somewhere I could look at?

Best you can do is read the drat Nexus profile for each one and the bug section and deduce if they aren't being supported.

Took forever for me to track down the source of my crash woes months back (a grab and eat mod somehow kept causing locks ups) sadly because of the age of the game some mods, even good ones will be abandoned now.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

SeanBeansShako posted:

Best you can do is read the drat Nexus profile for each one and the bug section and deduce if they aren't being supported.

Took forever for me to track down the source of my crash woes months back (a grab and eat mod somehow kept causing locks ups) sadly because of the age of the game some mods, even good ones will be abandoned now.

I discovered there is error logging and have turned it on and hopefully this will, like, say something useful

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Zereth posted:

Oh drat it, my game is crashing when I get near the bridge on the way to vault 111. Does some specific event fire there? It just vanishes to desktop without an error message, so I'm not sure what the problem is.

EDIT: installed a mod to skip intro and still had the crash after moving around a little, hm.

EDIT EDIT: it was one of Super Mutant Redux or Raider Overhaul, oh well, guess I'll just not use them.

3EDIT: hm, it did it again, but after I got most of the way through vault 111.

I had this exact same issue. It's probably your .ini settings. Check that Mod manager isn't using its own .ini files and then delete the ones in your document folder and start over.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

I barely changed anything though :psyduck:

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Zereth posted:

I barely changed anything though :psyduck:

Always remember at the end of the day this is still a Bethesda game.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

It worked! Oh well, at least I don't need to get rid of anything!

Except the mod which I did not realize replaced the 10mm pistol with one which takes longer to reload, that one goes int he trash, and I discovered there were superior more recent versions of a couple mods while troubleshooting.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Zereth posted:

I discovered there is error logging and have turned it on and hopefully this will, like, say something useful

Built in error logging is useless. There is a new mod that adds hopefully-useful error logging, however!

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Now I'm getting spammed by "generic hud update" things which google claims is a conflict between Hud Framework and DEF_UI but i have the patch which should be fixing this installed?

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

So what's that acutally useful error logging mod? I'm randomly crashing when I load saves. Like, I can just start the game up again and load the save anyway, it's just if I've been playing a while. I'm not losing anything other than the time it takes to start up the game and get to the main menu.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
I think they were talking about Buffout? Which I guess must work because now that I think about I haven't crashed once since I installed it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Well that sounds good. I realized this is gonna be a lot more important once the Brotherhood arrives and I savescum to steal the fusion cores and thus power armor out of every patrol.