Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Entropic posted:

I updated a bunch of mods to their latest versions after not playing for a while, because way not, and whoo boy some mod authors love adding in extra features.

Different game but!

Hey IMPACT guy who did the mod for FNV, mind not being a dick and deciding you can do better than EVE and not expand into lasers you rear end?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
I think part of the problem with the way that modding is organized, especially somewhere like the Nexus, is that novelty is what gets you the most attention. If you aren't constantly adding new things then people just think "dead mod" and you slowly fade from the front page. So mod authors are constantly hitting the point where their mod is essentially "done", but need to keep expanding the scope to keep that forward momentum going.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

The Cheshire Cat posted:

I think part of the problem with the way that modding is organized, especially somewhere like the Nexus, is that novelty is what gets you the most attention. If you aren't constantly adding new things then people just think "dead mod" and you slowly fade from the front page. So mod authors are constantly hitting the point where their mod is essentially "done", but need to keep expanding the scope to keep that forward momentum going.

That one loving gun, ammo and receiver mod.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Prokhor posted:

With regards to things being risque, that's an understatement. All of their mods are how I'd make mods, which is to say a whole bunch of third party assets all smashed together like a horny 9 year old playing with legos. For example, here's a quest hub.

I'd also maybe make mods like that, except the smut would be classier...and there'd be a lot of in-jokes/references that only I would get...and I wouldn't actually finish the mod, I'd give up after 2 hours of trying and failing to learn how to use the mod software.

To be honest, I was being a bit coy about the risque stuff. There was a MXR video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tES3X9Aq_iQ) that covered the mod (he even points out how the showering thing seems to be signature of the mod author's stuff). It's eye-rolling :rolleyes:, but (awful as it may sound), I don't really have an issue with it (I think I've been on the Nexus for too long).

The gating does sound pretty irritating, though it doesn't sound like it's game-breaking. I was going to say that maybe it's taking account for people who might have done those quests, but that still wouldn't make a difference.

Would you recommend giving it a try? The aspect of being able to keep all four factions alive was my main draw to it. My intention was to do a BoS playthrough, but I was also planning on doing Far Harbor and Nuka World, and I was wondering if the mod would affect those expansions in any way. I thought about maybe making a separate character for it, but then I was already thinking about doing that for Nuka World, and I don't know if I have the will to manage three separate play-throughs of Fallout 4 (assuming you have to make significant process to access any of the DLC).

I also noticed it required another mod by the author (Outcasts and Remnants), which is nearly a gigabyte in size. Does that one suffer the same issues with gating, or does it avoid it by not being linked to the quests in the base game?

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Dec 31, 2018

Prokhor
Jun 28, 2009

In one moment, Earth; in the next, Heaven.

Max Wilco posted:

I also noticed it required another mod by the author (Outcasts and Remnants), which is nearly a gigabyte in size. Does that one suffer the same issues with gating, or does it avoid it by not being linked to the quests in the base game?
So outcasts and remnants is like, the bulk of the content. Project Valkyrie is a veneer over it that lets you change the ending but the majority of content you'd be interacting with is that mod. There's less issues with gating because as you say it's all internal and they have better control on flow. That being said the authorial voice of these mods in general irks me. The dialogue is like a reddit comment section of galaxy brains. There's not much I can say I guess beyond give it a shot, it won't delete your hard drive. The overriding feeling I got while playing was that these weren't characters interacting with my character, it was the mod author telling me how much smarter (and more mature) they were than Bethesda.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Prokhor posted:

So outcasts and remnants is like, the bulk of the content. Project Valkyrie is a veneer over it that lets you change the ending but the majority of content you'd be interacting with is that mod. There's less issues with gating because as you say it's all internal and they have better control on flow. That being said the authorial voice of these mods in general irks me. The dialogue is like a reddit comment section of galaxy brains. There's not much I can say I guess beyond give it a shot, it won't delete your hard drive. The overriding feeling I got while playing was that these weren't characters interacting with my character, it was the mod author telling me how much smarter (and more mature) they were than Bethesda.

I think I know what you mean by that. The MxR video even says describes it in almost the same way, "...basically that person complaining on Reddit why everyone in Fallout is dumb, then saying it to their faces in the actual game". It sounds like the author made a fan-fiction-esque pseudo-self-insert character who addresses all the plot holes in the game and has the power to do something the player can't do on their own.

On the other hand, it's not hard to find big issues with Bethesda's storytelling/world-building in the Fallout games. However, I say that as a jaded New Vegas fan, so take that into account.

Maybe I'll give it a pass for right now, and then give it a try later when/if I start a separate character. It still seems interesting to me in terms of providing some extra quests, enemies, areas and other content, but I should probably wait to play through the game again and do Far Harbor to see where I'm at.

Cartoon Violence
Oct 30, 2012

Stop being such goons, you CLODS!

Hey, all! Two questions. I tried to play Maxwell's World when it came out and it was so buggy and broken I couldnt even finish it. NPCs were constantly stuck, scripting would constantly freak out, quests wouldn't trigger, not doing something in the perfect way would permanently break the main quest, and the lack of quest markers and buggy nonfunctional travel and power system made what did work a chore. Was any of that ever fixed, or is it mostly the same still?

Secondly, has anyone played Northern Springs? It promises a large handcrafted region with a "simply more Fallout 4" approach, more places to loot, more followers, more settlements, etc. Is it any good? It seems impressive considering nobody on the internet talked about it at all.

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

Cartoon Violence posted:

Secondly, has anyone played Northern Springs? It promises a large handcrafted region with a "simply more Fallout 4" approach, more places to loot, more followers, more settlements, etc. Is it any good? It seems impressive considering nobody on the internet talked about it at all.

I had Northern Springs installed for about a half hour. The added area will CTD if you've got Enhanced Lights & Effects installed. Ok, sure, so just disable it and then re-enable it once you've completed the added content, right? Not really. The first area has this fake looking snow effect, with literal white squares for snowflakes, that clip through roofs. I'm not the type to lose my poo poo because ~my immersion~, but I did find it super jarring. The mod throws tons of high-level heavy weapons as soon as you zone in, which I also wasn't the biggest fan of.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Are than any mods that expand the Nuka-World/Raider stuff and allow you to keep on playing as an extremely rear end in a top hat raider and take over the commonwealth and stuff? Like a Commonwealth Legion, almost?

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Are than any mods that expand the Nuka-World/Raider stuff and allow you to keep on playing as an extremely rear end in a top hat raider and take over the commonwealth and stuff? Like a Commonwealth Legion, almost?

There's an expansion coming for Sim Settlements which will basically let you do exactly that.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

So I installed Backpacks of the Commonwealth, and I didn't follow the mod author's suggested drop rate, and instead set it to 10%. Right now, I'm finding carrying bags on half of the raiders I kill, which doesn't sound like it would be that bad, except for the issue that it generates a quest marker for each one. Is there a way to turn the drop rate down to something lower? There doesn't seem to be an option to change it in the MCM. Is there a console command that might give me the menu again?

EDIT: Never mind, I checked under the Misc. tab in the Pipboy, and there's a tape/item that lets you change the settings and drop rates.

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Jan 6, 2019

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

dragonshardz posted:

There's an expansion coming for Sim Settlements which will basically let you do exactly that.

Yeah, it prebuilds all or most of the settlements some chunk of the way up, and then you and the brute squad show up and have a fight. Here's the trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MNB565kQyJM

Glazius fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Jan 6, 2019

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Glazius posted:

Yeah, it prebuilds all or most of the settlements some chunk of the way up, and then you and the brute squad show up and have a fight. Here's the trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MNB565kQyJM

Sim settlements owns so much god drat that’s great.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Is there a good mod just for making night time brighter?

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I know this is pretty tame as far as settler mods go, but I find the same-face-syndrome and crazy-eyes going on in this pic to be unnerving.

Looking at the LORE in the mod description, they are pretty much literal pod people so it makes sense.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Just means you need the synth manufacturing mod. :shepface:

7seven7
May 19, 2006

I barfed because you looked in my eyes!
I've not had a desktop for a few years and I've just managed to get one built with a nice enough GPU to run Fallout 4 again. I'm really looking forward to getting back into settlement building again. Are there any must have building mods that have come out in the the last year or so? I'm definitely looking forward to Sim Settlements now that it's looking a lot more fleshed out than when I played. Are there any huge collections of building assets that are recommended these days?

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

7seven7 posted:

I've not had a desktop for a few years and I've just managed to get one built with a nice enough GPU to run Fallout 4 again. I'm really looking forward to getting back into settlement building again. Are there any must have building mods that have come out in the the last year or so? I'm definitely looking forward to Sim Settlements now that it's looking a lot more fleshed out than when I played. Are there any huge collections of building assets that are recommended these days?

Workshop Rearranged is good for introducing more on-theme stuff including columnar support for floating platforms and junk fences that ground-clip.

7seven7
May 19, 2006

I barfed because you looked in my eyes!
Is Sim Settlements known to cause settlers unable to be assigned? Or should I be looking elsewhere? I avoided Don't Call Me Settler and I've still managed to get the settler bug.

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

7seven7 posted:

Is Sim Settlements known to cause settlers unable to be assigned? Or should I be looking elsewhere? I avoided Don't Call Me Settler and I've still managed to get the settler bug.

There are certain settlers that can't be assigned and are called hunters/carpenters or w/e, but you probably don't mean those?

E; after reading up on this bug, lol
How in all my time loving around with this game and ungodly amounts of mods have i not seen this happen yet...

:shrug:

heard u like girls fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Feb 2, 2019

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

heard u like girls posted:

There are certain settlers that can't be assigned and are called hunters/carpenters or w/e, but you probably don't mean those?

E; after reading up on this bug, lol
How in all my time loving around with this game and ungodly amounts of mods have i not seen this happen yet...

:shrug:

If there isn't one already, there needs to be a :bethesda: icon for stuff like this.

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

Look it’s hard to write a robust engine when you’re a small indie company

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

It's time for the monthly F4 mod list people!

Archimedes-II Adds the Archimedes-II finder module as multi-purpose weapons platform. Three unique firing modes: Flare charger, Dissapator beam, and Orbital Designation.

Classic Zetan Arsenal (CC) for you poor bastards who buy things from the community store, this remodels these guns to bring them in line visually in common with the ones from with the worst of Fallout 3's DLC experiences. The worst!

HK G11 K2 here is some good old game gun nostalgia with some good old fashioned Kraut space magic! now in F4 form!

Ithaca Model 37 - Pump Shotgun mandatory shotgun suggestion for close range needs.

Replacer - Submachine Gun to Defense Gun This mod tries to replace the vanilla Submachine Gun with the Defense Gun (made by YonaTaku) but particularly leaves the Silver Submachine Gun as is, making it a true unique weapon.

Colonel Autumn's Coat standalone the man was a cardboard cut out baddie but his coat looked kind of neat.

Utility Vault Suits This is a simple mod that adds baggy cloth Vault suits to the game, slightly resembling utility Vault suits in older Fallout titles.

Powder Ganger outfits adds two sets of NCR prison outfits the Powder Ganger crew wore in FNV to the game.

Sewing Kit - Be a clothier become a post apocalyptic tailor. Create and sell dyes. Make clothes. Sell them too maybe!

Mutations adds one randomized mutation from a list if you got to sleep with one hundred rads or more.

RADS RADS is a radiation overhaul adding many more pockets of radiation to the commonwealth.

Harvest Whales - Dolphins Harvest all those dolphins for meat and maybe some oil.

Basic Mining mine raw resources from rocks Skyrim style for crafting. DLC requirement FH.

Harvest Trees same as above same modder with a now odd naming convention thing going on here.

Fallfall - Realistic Fall Damage fall damage overhaul that adds some risk to exploration (and an excuse to break out jet backs).

CommonwealthVehicles adds crafted magic grenade summoned vehicles for you to ride about in!

Driveables of the Commonwealth - APC and Driveables of the Commonwealth - GrownUp Buttercup too!

Manually Tunable Radios Allows you to manually tune the radio frequencies, by typing it out - Metal gear Solid style.

CC's UHD Power Armor Frame An 8K retexture of the Power Armor Frames. Also available in 4K and 2K

Big E's Starry Night HD skybox retexture.

Raider Glucoma Removal removes the weird looking diseased blue eyes from Raider and lets them use the diverse eye set from all other NPC's of the game.

Fallout 4 Vertibird no annoying BoS Theme and better sound Removes the annoying Vertibird BoS Theme music and replaces engine sound.

Facials for Everyone - Less than Fresh Faces hurr hurr that name. Adds 300+ unique(ish) and lore-friendly faces to all our friends and enemies. Gunners, Raiders, Minutemen, Settlers, Scavengers, Brotherhood, Triggermen, and the Children of Atom. Now includes Far Harbor!

Commando - Heavy Gunner - Rifleman Rebalance reworks these perks with weaponry that make sense.

More Feral Ghouls. A Zombie Mod Adds more variety to the Feral ghouls that spawn.

Fallout 4 - War Tapes a firearm sound overhaul for the guns of the game.

Shared inventory - Sanctuary and Red Rocket Sanctuary and Red Rocket share the same inventory. No caravan needed.

Yangtze Crew Replacer Replaces the feral ghouls of the Yangtze with uniformed Chinese Ghouls with Lore-friendly gear.

Goodneighbor Guards Adds some diversity and movement to the Goodneighbor Watch.

Guard Objects New objects to defend your settlement from attacks.

You and What Army - More Minutemen Patrols

The Uptown Apartment Adds a bachelor apartment in the Cambridge area to live in.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

I'm having a very loving annoying bug that is making the HUD disappear unless I'm aiming or interacting with something. Ammo count, AP/HP bars, crosshair, Survival icons, and the sneak indicator are all basically permanently hidden unless I aim or look in a container/use a workbench.

I'm not sure what went wrong. I've tried updating DEF_UI (even though I was already using the latest version). I'm wondering if it's Sim Settlements Conquerors or something.

Apparently Sim Settlements: Conqueror doesn't like me. When it starts up, it fucks up my UI, and I can't seem to figure out a workaround.

Gonkish fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Feb 17, 2019

khy
Aug 15, 2005

I could use some advice with the Sim Settlements mod. It's fairly popular so I'm hoping someone here can help me understand how some of this poo poo works.

I'm trying out Sim Settlements and, well, not sure I like it. For starters, the fact that I have to build a residence for every single settler seems like it's going to use up all my space FAST. I assume that I could just build one big building and use the 'indoor' residence plots, but I wasn't sure how they handle poo poo like power. Do I need to power the indoor plots individually or do they just get power from conduits? Can anyone give me more details there? Also, I like how the buildings end up looking unique with the outdoor ones, how well does it handle indoor decoration and randomization?

Second, food. I can build a food area that'll provide 6 food super easily on my own, and have 3-4 settlers produce a full town's worth of food. But the agriculture plots only provide like, 2 food to start with. They take FOREVER to upgrade, and if I build food manually and assign a settler to it they won't use it for some reason. Is there a workaround for this?

Third, I tried building a recreational plot to get a happiness boost, hoping it'd speed up upgrades. It sat around for ages, with no settler doing jack poo poo with it. Finally I assigned an unemployed settler to it, and he built it - but I also noticed that it unassigned him from his house? And then when it was done, I started seeing NPCs show up there that weren't part of my town, that I couldn't interact with. Were they supposed to be vagrants or something? I don't get it.

If anyone could help me understand this mod I'd appreciate it. I like the idea behind it and the intent, but the application seems strange and not as intuitive as I'd hoped it would be.

ALSO!

I made a mod. It's small and took no time and barely changes a thing, but I like it. It's super helpful for ammo generation, which was a major headache when I decided to do a Commando run.

https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/37417?tab=description

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Max Wilco posted:

If there isn't one already, there needs to be a :bethesda: icon for stuff like this.
I've occasionally used :sterv: from an old Oblivion LP for that sort of thing.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

khy posted:

I could use some advice with the Sim Settlements mod. It's fairly popular so I'm hoping someone here can help me understand how some of this poo poo works.

I'm trying out Sim Settlements and, well, not sure I like it. For starters, the fact that I have to build a residence for every single settler seems like it's going to use up all my space FAST. I assume that I could just build one big building and use the 'indoor' residence plots, but I wasn't sure how they handle poo poo like power. Do I need to power the indoor plots individually or do they just get power from conduits? Can anyone give me more details there? Also, I like how the buildings end up looking unique with the outdoor ones, how well does it handle indoor decoration and randomization?

Second, food. I can build a food area that'll provide 6 food super easily on my own, and have 3-4 settlers produce a full town's worth of food. But the agriculture plots only provide like, 2 food to start with. They take FOREVER to upgrade, and if I build food manually and assign a settler to it they won't use it for some reason. Is there a workaround for this?

Third, I tried building a recreational plot to get a happiness boost, hoping it'd speed up upgrades. It sat around for ages, with no settler doing jack poo poo with it. Finally I assigned an unemployed settler to it, and he built it - but I also noticed that it unassigned him from his house? And then when it was done, I started seeing NPCs show up there that weren't part of my town, that I couldn't interact with. Were they supposed to be vagrants or something? I don't get it.

If anyone could help me understand this mod I'd appreciate it. I like the idea behind it and the intent, but the application seems strange and not as intuitive as I'd hoped it would be.

ALSO!

I made a mod. It's small and took no time and barely changes a thing, but I like it. It's super helpful for ammo generation, which was a major headache when I decided to do a Commando run.

https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/37417?tab=description

Base Sim Settlements doesn't really change the base Settlements gameplay much, it's mostly a way to place necessities that look good without spending all the time decorating.

Rise of the Commonwealth actually developments Settlements for you if you assign a settlement a mayor (follower); however even then it doesn't necessarily mean it'll be self sufficient (by default certain cities produce certain goods and your meant to build supply lines).

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.
Also you gotta remember that plots upgrade. Starting out, food plots aren't gonna give much, but once they've upgraded you just need two or three for a full settlement.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Yeah, eventually one of my agricultural plots upgraded. I've got a couple more issues now though.

First, one of the buildings it created doesn't have a bed in it for some reason, so I've had to drop a mattress down to bring the total up.
Second, it shows 9 people in my settlement but when I check the vault-tec personnel it only shows 3 farmers, 1 guard, 1 caravan, 1 armorer, 1 doctor, and 1 junk dealer. I can't find that 9th population member. Hell, I can't even figure out who the 'guard' is. I wonder if the vagrants attracted by the city park are messing poo poo up somehow?

khy fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Feb 18, 2019

Erd
Jun 6, 2011

khy posted:

Indoor plots do get power passively and if any part of the plot is within the radius it will be powered. Indoor are 2x3 tiles so I recommend a mod like https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/10163 to help make structures to that size. Only the clutter is randomised in Sim Settlements (besides the odd settler in a wasteland lounger structure) and indoor plots only have 1-3 instances of clutter, so they can look samey if a row of identical plots are lined up.

As for food, you are right about the agriculture being a pain. Agriculture plots require ~5 in-game days to pass and a settlement happiness of 70 to upgrade, but become very efficient at level 3. My suggestion is to build 2 farms initially to provided 4 food and make up the difference by donating as much food as possible to the Sim Settlements desk. That should feed your settlers for a few days and stop them stealing any valuable food out of the workbench.

Here's a small trading post I build at Abernathy farm:

The single wire at the top of the screen powers both plots below and I've used Place Everywhere to overlay 2 roof segments to fit the odd plot size. I kept the original crops because they look better in this case.

I think the rise of the commonwealth plan for Abernathy Farm is awful.

khy posted:

Second, it shows 9 people in my settlement but when I check the vault-tec personnel it only shows 3 farmers, 1 guard, 1 caravan, 1 armorer, 1 doctor, and 1 junk dealer. I can't find that 9th population member. Hell, I can't even figure out who the 'guard' is. I wonder if the vagrants attracted by the city park are messing poo poo up somehow?

Your recreational plot might be the guard or the missing settler. Use a settlement bell or a town meeting gavel to do a headcount.

Erd fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Feb 18, 2019

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Erd posted:

Your recreational plot might be the guard or the missing settler. Use a settlement bell or a town meeting gavel to do a headcount.

I sent one more person to my settlement to build another plot, and so right now the total count in the workshop menu shows 10 people. I built and used a bell and ended up with 8 settlers gathering around. The 9th should be the provisioner - so I still have 1 unaccounted for mystery settler counting against my food/water/beds for no reason.

Also two of my level 2 houses have no bed in them at all. The provisioner doesn't seem to have ever created a house at all, so while I have 8 houses built, only 6 have beds. I added two extra beds but now I have to make two MORE just because I'm already in a deficit. It's not difficult but I mean part of the point of getting this mod in the first place was to avoid building poo poo for my settlements and let them build it all themselves.

Mod seems like it'd be really nice if it'd just work the way it's supposed to, but nothing's ever quite that simple for me.

khy fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Feb 18, 2019

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.

khy posted:

Yeah, eventually one of my agricultural plots upgraded. I've got a couple more issues now though.

First, one of the buildings it created doesn't have a bed in it for some reason, so I've had to drop a mattress down to bring the total up.

Check what mod added the building that's missing the bed then report a missing bed there, then just switch it to using another house. Not sure how supported putting beds for people that own a plot is.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Alright, gonna move on from fighting with Sim Settlements for a bit. Got a mod request, not sure if it's possible or out there but...

I have been using AWKCR but it conflicts with a lot of different mods I have. Mainly because many of my mods are older mods which haven't been updated for a couple years. I want to be rid of it, but there's one thing I really like that it allows - pushed-up goggles similar to what Ezreal from LoL wears. Does anyone know if there's any mods which adds goggles like that that DOESN'T requires AWKCR?

Erd
Jun 6, 2011

khy posted:

I sent one more person to my settlement to build another plot, and so right now the total count in the workshop menu shows 10 people. I built and used a bell and ended up with 8 settlers gathering around. The 9th should be the provisioner - so I still have 1 unaccounted for mystery settler counting against my food/water/beds for no reason.

Also two of my level 2 houses have no bed in them at all. The provisioner doesn't seem to have ever created a house at all, so while I have 8 houses built, only 6 have beds. I added two extra beds but now I have to make two MORE just because I'm already in a deficit. It's not difficult but I mean part of the point of getting this mod in the first place was to avoid building poo poo for my settlements and let them build it all themselves.

Mod seems like it'd be really nice if it'd just work the way it's supposed to, but nothing's ever quite that simple for me.

Regular vanilla provisioners can't be assigned a Sim Settlements house but they can use a bed in a built, unoccupied house or a regular bed. People recommend IDEK's logistics station (https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/28945) to use with Sim Settlements. The provisioners in that mod can occupy a house, and it is just a great mod in general.

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

khy posted:

All of this sounds like you did not use the Settlement Holotape at all? It explicitly asks you how much involvement you want and it's mostly fire and forget if you choose the correct option from the 3 presented.

Did you appoint a Mayor to your settlement? That also helps. And then there's city plans (default is just one per settlement, but theres more on the nexus). Select City Plan and go do other things. When you get back it'll be a proper village / city.

heard u like girls fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Feb 18, 2019

khy
Aug 15, 2005

heard u like girls posted:

All of this sounds like you did not use the Settlement Holotape at all? It explicitly asks you how much involvement you want and it's mostly fire and forget if you choose the correct option from the 3 presented.

I used it, but got a bit overwhelmed with the number of options present. I adjusted a few but mostly it's just set to the defaults.

quote:

Did you appoint a Mayor to your settlement? That also helps. And then there's city plans (default is just one per settlement, but theres more on the nexus). Select City Plan and go do other things. When you get back it'll be a proper village / city.

Nope, felt like I wanted to have a bit more control over what's built where (At least while I experiment with Sim Settlements) so I didn't get ROTC.

EDIT : Yet.

khy fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Feb 19, 2019

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe
Going right back a few pages, Vortex is made by the MO2 dude, its a bit strange in some cases & seems to use a VF system, otoh, it does allow you to fine tune the guts of some mods and decide what takes precedence if a few mods want to alter the same things.
I have used it for OpenMW to do exactly that, however, it also opens a can of worms wrt circular overides, I can see it being a shitshow for some FO4 mods that affect say, guns or somethin' unless you have a clear idea what you want and stick to exactly that.
also, best companion/settler mod might be a simple clone gun.
I'm insane, I got F76 and played it for a few hours, thinking I'll help some goons with duping stuff but its just recycled FO4 with the added pleasure of passing random's being able to wreck you.
As it stands, two good and continuously worked on mods are Wipag & Modern Firearms.
Maybe one day fallouts atmosphere, gunplay & ai might come close to Stalker, but I doubt it.

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

khy posted:

I used it, but got a bit overwhelmed with the number of options present. I adjusted a few but mostly it's just set to the defaults.

Nope, felt like I wanted to have a bit more control over what's built where (At least while I experiment with Sim Settlements) so I didn't get ROTC.

EDIT : Yet.

Maybe it's because i used the 3 in 1 SS pack right from the start, but when i load the Holotape for the first time on a character, it asks me if i want to play it like Sim City or if i want it to do it's own stuff and apart from that i have never touched any of the other options in the list so far. Sounds like you don't get that particular starting out message/option?
My peoples get assigned automatically IF they are currently jobless and they sleep wherever (even on couches because of a mod, which owns).

Anyway, i wouldn't really be too bothered by the exact numbers of settlers and stuff like that. It really doesn't matter all that much.

One thing i also have installed is C.A.M.P. which, combined with IDEK's logistic station, allows me to make a settlement literally anywhere on the map. I built some lovely wooden apartments on top of the entrance to the Rexford Hotel in Goodneighbour lol.

I was actually suprised settlers showed up in Goodneighbour at my makeshift encampment, but i have it supplied from Bunker Hill now.

heard u like girls fucked around with this message at 12:13 on Feb 19, 2019

drkeiscool
Aug 1, 2014
Soiled Meat

wait a minute

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

khy
Aug 15, 2005

By the way I've been using this mod and it's pretty nice.

https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/3106

Makes the PA HUD not transparent so it's more immersive. Also has an option so when you're zoomed out to 3rd person the HUD isn't there, which always annoyed me.