Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Seashell Salesman posted:

Okay that's what I figured initially but I don't understand why anyone would want their UI mod to make all items weightless.

The UI mod is editing the item's display string, which is stored of a piece with the item's weight. To avoid overwriting another mod, weightless functionality is often bolted onto UI mods.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Midnight Voyager posted:

In less annoying news, a modular Sanctuary-style build set!

http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/15773/

Looks like you can rebuild Sanctuary without the workarounds from other mods, like the one that just "Repairs" the walls.

Neat.

Though that page is wrong - there's at least one other prefab development like Sanctuary in the Commonwealth.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Deified Data posted:

B) A mod that lets you create shops without booths, so you could just have a guy stand inside the Starlight diner and sell alcohol, for example

The goon-made mod "Convenient Stores" will do this. It spawns registers (or med kits for doctors) at a fixed Z-height with lots of overlap, so they sit on top of bar counters and other furniture.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

pmchem posted:

Let's say I start a new game with the Season Pass DLC, then just go save Preston, and then just go straight back to Sanctuary and do nothing but let settlers scavenge and build up the town a bit.

If later, from that clean save game, I install a variety of mods (that do not affect Sanctuary) ... what's the worst that can go wrong, compared to using those same mods starting a brand new game?

The worst I've seen is some sort helper mods not affecting the names of items that are either already spawned in the world or statically spawned at the very start of the game.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

SeanBeansShako posted:

And finally something for us now veterans of the game who haven't got the patince to take every single loving item from a location, Salvage Beacon here had you pretty much tell your Settlers to haul junk back to your Settlement while you are busy saving the commonwealth/finding your son/cosplaying as a better Fallout character from the past!

You do still have to clean out the location into one container, but your settlers take it from there.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Smol posted:

Wait, so enemies (or enemy hitpoints?) scale endlessly in this game?

Enemies usually exist at distinct level quanta. A bloatfly is level 1, a black bloatfly is level 9, a festering bloatfly is level 17, a glowing bloatfly is level 27. More levels mean more HP and, generally, higher damage resistance.

When you enter a map cell, it spawns enemy groups based on your current level, with a minimum and maximum range depending on where you are on the map, usually trending higher as you go south and/or east. These groups include a range of leveled enemies, usually of one or two types.

Some enemy types, like Super Mutants (Super Mutant Warlord) and Gunners (Gunner Brigadier) have one enemy with a level that tracks yours, instead of being a fixed value. They show up at the very top of the level range, and generally you won't see them until you get close to triple digit levels. Even then they don't replace everyone -- the running battle that is Quincy has never included even three Brigadiers for me.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Also I remembered Preston being way easier to get into liked. MOtherfucker, I just want the castle and your drat perk, then to go and become king of the raiders. :romney:

If it helps any I think the mission to reclaim the castle actually triggers when you get a certain number of allied settlements. I think you have to get them allied through quests, but not necessarily Minuteman quests. I got the offer after I converted Greygarden.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Sintax posted:

Loading times will be bottlenecked by your storage device, always make sure to put Fallout4 on your SSD boys and girls.

Yeah, especially if you're running a texture or groundcover mod, and have some ridiculous END and Moving Target 3, you can totally sprint ahead of the rendering engine.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Bilal posted:

No, the only reason that Fallout 3 or New Vegas needed weapon degradation was to prevent the player from sequence breaking the game by getting a hold of a late game weapon early on. For example, the minigun dropped from the quest in Novac is at almost zero condition to prevent you from getting a minigun that early in the game.

In Fallout 4 the heavy weapons are worthless and you upgrade weapon damage via crafting, so there's absolutely no reason to implement degradation and no way to make it fun.

I can kind of see the shape of something that might work, though. Like, some kind of cleaning or fitting kit that gives you a decaying buff to accuracy/damage/DR, either per shot in/out or timer-based. You can have tiers of kit and cap them based on final buffed value.

Inzombiac posted:

I'd like a mod where you can build a settlement thing that makes materials passively.
The scrap station is poo poo garbage.

Northland Diggers addresses this. The stations themselves cost about two shipments worth of resources to build and spit out about a fourth of a shipment.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

sean10mm posted:

I haven't played in a long time, what is the best "build more things for your settlement" mod now? I think I used Homemaker last time.

I've had a good time with Workshop Rearranged.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Diabetes Forecast posted:

I installed Super Mutant Workshop but i can't seem to find the Supermutant manager. The Ghoul manager shows up in the Special list, but the Supermutant manager won't show up. Is this a common issue or would a mod cause this sort of thing to happen?

How many other mods have you installed that affect the workshop menu? It's got kind of weird limitations in how many things can fit under one thing and tends to randomly lock off categories to make room.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Falken posted:

What settlement building mods do you chaps use? Last time I was playing I used Snap'n Build 1.9, but the creator has abandoned it.

I did look at Snappy HouseKit and whilst it looks like it can make some really cool structures, it's a pain to use.

Workshop Rearranged is my weapon of choice. Adds a lot of snap points to things, includes struts so you can sink one foundation block, run out floors, and then prop those floors up on the ground.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

horse mans posted:

Is there any way to prevent the BoS from being hostile to my settlements? I'm a BoS member and doing the Minutemen quests for the time being.

Random BoS patrols probably shouldn't be aggroing on your settlements. If they are, maybe it's because you've used cages and beta wave emitters to tame creatures that passively emit radiation? That tends to get them treated as hostile.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

horse mans posted:

I appreciate that, but I don't want to do that. I hate wandering all over creation looking for corpses. Especially in my WotC playthrough, an attack on my settlement may involve three or four raiding parties all drawn to my settlement at once, with many dozens of corpses to deal with afterwards.

Have you got Scrapper Corpse Highlighting? One rank of Scrapper will highlight corpses when you draw your weapon. I think they have to have been killed by you and not friendly fire or environmental damage, though.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

MikeJF posted:

Anyone got a mod suggestion to let me set up places where I can ship items back to my main home (preferably to a special drop-off chest rather than the main workbench) instead of me having to travel back to Greygarden each time I want to clean out?

Salvage Beacons let you queue up deliveries of anything you can stick in a container, but it all winds up in a workbench at the end.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Prop Wash posted:

I really wish Bethesda had gone back and put in the effort for Sanctuary that they put into the new DLC homesteads. The nasty-rear end clutter and debris in those goes away whenever you scrap the nearby scrappable items, and then things look nice and clean again.

I'm really enjoying my Horizon playthrough (and I haven't had any issues with it and Sim Settlements) but dear lord I caved and installed one of those mods that reenables fast travel in survival mode. Who's got the time to deal with walking from Sanctuary to Tenpines to Corvega to Tenpines to Sanctuary?

I suggest Immersive Fast Travel if you'd like an alternate settlement-to-settlement traveller that has a cost (in oil).

Still got to get to civilization to use it though, and enabling fast travel is good for other things like fast traveling to where you currently are if the LOD that includes the actual doors hasn't loaded in yet.

Dick Trauma posted:

I've been waiting for Sim Settlements to develop a little bit before I restart my game, but how hard is it to get NAC looking good? I usually only do a weather enhancement mod and avoid ones that play with color balance, etc. Is the revamped interior lighting part of NAC?

Sim Settlements has got industrial add-ons that produce water, power, ammo, and tunable types of scrap, a tool that lets you select which plot you want, and no longer conflicts with any vanilla assignable roles like guards or (I think) provisioners, though check your supply lines on that last one to make sure.

It's got room to grow, sure, but it's significantly more functionality than curiosity at this point.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

bazomatic posted:

I don't seem to have any issues, but *are* there issues between Settlement Keywords Expanded and Sim Settlements? I can't find anything one way or the other.

The only issue I've been having which makes he suspect maybe SKE causes some problems is that my generators don't display the parts required when I have the parts, just when I lack them.

The latest versions of Sim Settlements inject themselves as a top-level menu if you have Settlement Menu Manager.

It works out well for me, but like most people who mod my settlement menu is a shambling monstrosity made of scrap metal and baling wire. So take that with a grain of salt.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

SeanBeansShako posted:

Diverse Dogs adds more dog breeds to the Wastelands using the workshop somehow.

I think it needs the Workshop DLC because that's the one where you could catch dogs for your settlement.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

CaptainViolence posted:

I'm pretty sure you're thinking of "Don't Call Me Settler" which from what I can tell got taken down by the author because the included scripts had the potential to gently caress up the job assignment system when combined with other mods. I've never had any problems with it, myself. When I googled it, a lot of people said that despite his claims, the author wasn't going to fix it and just took it down so people would stop spamming his author page over their save getting messed up.

The name thing got moved to Immersive Settlers, but not any of the other auto-assignment functionality.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Vargatron posted:

Can someone suggest to me a mod such as SkyUI that unfucks the inventory management in Fallout 4?

DEF_UI is still kind of state of the art there, as far as I'm aware.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Tatos, gourds, and silt beans... might make pretty good dip?

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

SeanBeansShako posted:

For those who wish the music of the game had more well, a old school Fallout bite to it now but don't want to simply reuse the music from Fallout 2/FNV a modder and composer has created a perfect old school sounding unique score for Fallout 4. Check out the videos on the mod page for Faded Glory. It honestly fits real well with the setting and old style music!

Yeah, this is pretty boss. I was clearing out Jamaica Plain and when I heard one of the new tracks I had to stop and listen.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

marshmallow creep posted:

I mean, you may want to start the game fresh for a few reasons, but the two I imagine most pertinent would be so A) you have a frame of reference to know where a lot of the criticism is coming from, and B) so you better know the difference between a mod working as intended and when it's done hosed up.

Apart from that, mods are such a matter of taste that, until you know what you like or don't like about the base game, it's hard to recommend a particular variety.

Yeah, most of the mods are fortunately not of the "only with new game or ETERNAL FAILURE" variety, so you can just plug one in and keep going..

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Scrap Everything takes apart every prebuilt clutter object in settlements. Sim Settlements spawns in extra geometry that doesn't count toward the limit. Pick one, or your machine will poo poo itself trying to render your settlement when you walk up to it.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Phrosphor posted:

I think sim settlements needs the dlc as well? It uses stuff from manufactury I think.

Why did we get three dlc's of just 'stuff for your settlements'? Sim Settlements is everything I wanted out of the system and some dude made it in his spare time.

I think they were pushing more for the Minecraft angle, what with the rube goldberg ball tracks and manufactories and battle arenas and confetti cannons.

Sim Settlements is great for people who want game mechanics stuff out of their settlements. Which is a decent number of people, me included!

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

RagnarokZ posted:

Anyone got some recommendations for Display mods? The cases the DLC comes with, have some issues were the junk I shove into them, sometimes load BEFORE the cases actually load, which is a bit of a problem.

You may want Functional Displays? It looks like it inherits from the bobblehead/magazine rack idea, and I've never had one of those drop out on me.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Your Computer posted:

Thanks! I'm not entirely sure how to read the info but I think it looks like pretty much all of it is insignificant (an item getting a slightly different name or a perk getting a slightly different description text). I guess I'm sorted!

So uh... has there been any cool new Must Get mods in the last half a year/year? :v: I tried going back a few pages but it's basically all talk about the paid mods fiasco.

Sim Settlements is pretty cool, but whether or not it's Must Get depends how much you liked that part of the game.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Your Computer posted:

Does it require a lot of materials to do anything fun with it, or can you start making settlements pretty early in the game?
e: also are there any other (settlement) mods recommended to be used with it? I think I gotta get this mod, it looks like a lot of fun!

Eventually you're probably going to run through your initial stock of sensors, and extra ones will need crystal and fiber optics to craft. Those aren't easy to come by.

Then again, he's also dropped buyable sensors on a lot of the junk merchants in the game, so maybe it'll be easier to keep up.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Saint Sputnik posted:

Ffffuck! twice now I've lost loot because I put it in a container to come back for it, and the container respawned as soon as I walked away. What is this bullshit?

Salvage beacons?

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

hup posted:

Yeah, but how does he know dogmeat? What adventures of the dog do we not see?

If you deliberately ignore Dogmeat, when you get to the point where you need him to track something Valentine says he's calling an old associate and then dogwhistles.

Dogmeat: crime-solving adventure dog, and also somehow the Norm of the post-apocalypse. Everybody knows Dogmeat!

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

horse mans posted:

I feel a very slight twinge of nostalgia for Fallout 3. Good music, and reasonably decent atmosphere. TTW is worth setting up.

So, after literally a thousand hours of modded out, souped up, hardcore, survival Fallout 4, I want to go back to square one with as close to a vanilla game as possible. That said, what are really good solid quality-of-life mods that are worthing adding that don't affect vanilla gameplay?

DEF_UI and FrameworkHUD along with a sorting mod like Valdacil's will make inventory a lot easier to manage.

Faded Glory is a nice soundpack that adds some tracks inspired by older Fallouts to the non-radio soundtrack.

True Legendary Enemies names a whole bunch of legendary spawns. It's a fun little touch.

Salvage Beacons is a slight tweak to vanilla gameplay, but it basically leverages your settlement network to transfer the contents of any container to a settlement workshop.

Saint Sputnik posted:

Guess now's a good time to ask this: What am I doing wrong that TTW won't start? I mean it boots up to the title screen but won't start a new game without loading or freezing or something. I feel like I'm forgetting an ini edit I'm supposed to make.

You'd probably be better off asking in the New Vegas thread, which is still active.

Glazius fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Oct 24, 2017

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Slowpoke Rodriguez posted:

Can anyone recommend some good Sim Settlements add-ons? Or at least ones to avoid?

You can actually curate mods from within Sim Settlements, with both global and local banlists.

The one mod that install or no is up to your own personal taste is Always Free, whose entire point is that sometimes your settlers build rogue defense towers or bring rabid molerats home, and you might come back to your settlement to find it imploding.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Terrorforge posted:

Do you mean the MrJoseCuervo addon pack? If not please tell me because one way or another that sounds like an excellent addition to my planned Raider-themed "do drugs and kill people with blunt objects" run.

Yes, that's the one.

To spread out a little, one addon you should get, mechanically, if you lean Minuteman, is Brae's Defenses. It includes some 2x2 martial plots with integrated cannons that count for your Minuteman salvos.

Wasteland Venturers contains some neat alternate shops and farms and such.

Industrial City doesn't use the tech tree much but it does let you spit out highly tunable scrap.

Ruined Homes And Gardens has a bunch of garden plots without a giant subterranean dirt hill, for parking on high places.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Ygolonac posted:

Edit: stripping weave didn't change things, removing most of my armor didn't either. Guess at this point the game considers this effect (added by Legendary Overhaul) to be OP:

This is the same effect you can vanilla put into power armor helmets. It makes them a red wireframe, right?

I remember early bug reports where it was sometimes considered a hostile act. If that's still true, it may just be that NPCs are registering being attacked but have no idea how to deal with it, so they're running.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Terrorforge posted:

So along the the 1.4 update of Horizon, the author is (in a few hours) releasing a whole other mod called Architect and it's a bit of a doozy. The marquee feature is a Sim Settlements-like system where you plop down a controller object that spawns in a prefab building with toggleable beds, decorations and stuff. It has small townhouses and giant gently caress-off department stores, and even placeable roads and terrain features, all of which seem to largely bypass the finicky building placement mechanics those things usually run into.

Also a bunch of quality-of-life stuff like vendors and defense posts you can upgrade by snapping stuff to them rather than having to tear them down and rebuilds. Compatible with Horizon or Vanilla, and some special Sim Settlements compatibility as well with a raised boardwalk you can snap plots to.

This feels like a gamechanger.

Wow!

Wow.

drat, that's a great pack-in for Horizon, and basically for anybody who doesn't want to get invested in Sim Settlements.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

staberind posted:

same. they can't write for toffee. "oh, your son's missing, i guess you want to get right on that, do you mind going in the opposite direction and being killed in a car factory for some idiots first though?"
egosoft are the same, with the x series, stalker is at least a great game on its own, but call of chernobyl is amazing.

I will not defend the protagonist's on again off again relationship with the importance of family, but the car factory is probably the least bullshit derail of them all. It and the BoS outpost are pretty much in line with your path down to Diamond City, and you even loot a key to a storage pen in the factory from one of the raiders attacking Concord.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I was going to say, it sounds like you need to download the latest sim settlements. That sounds like a desk from a previous version.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

TaintedBalance posted:

So started my new game of Horizon with the new Sim Settlements and its going a lot better now that I have a better idea going into it. Thanks for the advice thread!

How well do the new interior plots fit into some of the Architect buildings?

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Seashell Salesman posted:

What the gently caress. Dogmeat cannot be a city leader in Rise of the Commonwealth? Who the hell else is fit to lead Red Rocket (aka the best settlement)?

e: also the suggestion to rebuild your workbenches in god mode when RotC scraps them doesn't work in Survival because tgm is disabled there even when you have re-enabled the console.

As an alternative, since all the craft benches are also available at the Red Rocket down the road, just use that as a base while Sanctuary is level 0? Pretty sure all the craft benches come back when it hits level 1. (or alternately, leave Sanctuary as is while the Red Rocket goes from 0 to 1, same caveat applies I think)

Also, just level 1 is goddamn ridiculous, especially in Sanctuary, I cannot wait to see where the hell this ride is going to go for level 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Ygolonac posted:

Hmmmm. I'd been noticing a "hitch" when looting Pre-War Money from containers - I was also getting the same delay on Legendary items, and the readable comic books from a mod I added - and found that trying to transfer the money to a container would lock the game up. (Well, $9k or so out of the $10.4k in inventory.) Went to an much earlier save, same issue. Same early save, buy from a merchant and pay in that same $9k-ish Federal buttwipe, there's a hitch... and the game continues. Seems the Legendary delay is gone as well.

Thing is, the only thing I'd done with the Pre-War Money was a retex mod that changed it into War Bonds - that shouldn't have hosed with the way the savegame was handling that item, right?

I'll keep screwing around off the last save I did after divesting my portfolio, see if it stays stable... ot's only a 39 meg savegame, that should be OK. :suicide:

If a script is running on every item, especially during a transfer, the scripting engine can get overloaded independent of the game. Have you done anything to increase the amount of resources allocated to Papyrus in your ini?