Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal
I kind of wish I could write bash patches for people easily without having to download their modlist -- I've actually gotten quite good at it by this point since I've had to learn to do it by hand.

FO4Edit is as robust as ever for squashing compatibility bugs, but I sure do wish modders would be more mindful about their leveled lists.

Kimsemus fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Jun 10, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

Plotac 75 posted:

Am I right in assuming that FO4Edit and Mod Organizer 2 are mutually exclusive in use, or do I just not know how to use them properly together?

I use FO4Edit with NMM, NMM really isn't that bad this go around. Finds my homebrew patches without much issue.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal
In the long run, Bethesda is doing the smart thing by being as aloof and indifferent as possible regarding mods being stolen.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

Azhais posted:

Hey, at least that's useful for healing Hancock.

But you basically make my point. Legendaries are an utter crapshoot. Some of these unique mods might be cool on a good weapon, but I'd very much prefer a guaranteed easily acquired lucky laser pistol over 10% bonus damage in power armor

> Kill a Legendary Super Mutant Behemoth

>Rewarded with pipe shotgun that does 20% more damage to robots whilst standing still

cooooooooooool :thumbsup:

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

Rasmussen posted:

Even with 10 or less settlers every time I went back to a place they'd all be jammed into the same little area all bumping off each other. Then I stopped caring about settlements because you don't even need them for anything. I just use home plate now and settlers can gently caress off and die.

I use War of the Commonwealth, and with higher spawn rates having developed settlements as little forts of sanity in the storm is a lot of fun. I build fortified and armed structures that I run to, and the organic battles that are caused around and by them are pretty great.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal
I really wish someone would make a mod where factions could take over locations/things/places.

This is something I wish would have come out of the various civil war modifications for Skyrim as well, but I heard the new nuka cola DLC is doing something like this. One reason I play with War of the Commonwealth is, now that I've beaten and explored the game, I enjoy the map being a bloody and insane warzone of carnage, where my settlements are giant forts with defenders holding the walls whilst the bodies stack on the outside.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

Apoplexy posted:

Welp, I bit the bullet and got FO4 with everything up to Contraception Workshop [img-Childkiller]. I hate playing Bethesda games vanilla, but I feel like putting a few hours into the vanilla experience is necessary to understand what all needs fixing via modding. That said, I really don't want to waste my drat time playing an unrefined mess. What is absolutely necessary to have for FO4 to not suck?

http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/1235/ - Full Dialogue interface is the only "mandatory" mod in my mind. There might be some other super good ones out there, but that is the one mod where I feel like I simply couldn't play the game if I didn't have.

Seriously, the default dialogue system in FO4 is absolutely an abomination. Anything else is worthy of using on your second playthrough, I'm running around 200 mods now (took me forever to write the patch for) and I've turned the commonwealth into a horrifying warzone that's impossibly difficult to survive in...but. Personal preference.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

Svanja posted:

Anyone using the We Are the Minutemen mod? It looks fantastic and I'm really big into developing the settlements and it would be great to have such a payoff.

I do, and it's pretty amazing to be engaging a group of super mutants or something and getting rolled up on by a squad of upgraded Minutemen for much needed backup.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

SeanBeansShako posted:

So here is another Hunting Revolver mod, only this one has a much better looking model rather than the slightly converted .44 from the game.

Also, do you dig the weird new looking Brotherhood fatigues and tech suits? wish they actually protected you? this mod tweaks those values of all BOS clothing and gear making them a lot more protective. Now if only somebody could retexture them to match the stuff from the previous games. Cheeto Orange, ugh.

Bethesda has turned the BoS from the xenophobic teutonic order of Interplay's Fallout games into this weird techno lawful good thing I don't recognize or like. I wish there was a mod that made the BoS really mean again.

Also I wish there was a mod that made The Enclave a fleshed out faction FO4 because I'm a dumb fanboy.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal
Is the new DLC worth getting? people seem to be dunking on it pretty hard and I hardly have a use for assembly lines.

Any ETA when FO4Edit is going to have full support as well?

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal
So if I'm using the mod that gives me the portable junk recycler, I don't really need the new DLC right?

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

Son of a Vondruke! posted:

If you've ever wanted to put Marcy Long in her place, it's a necessity.

:stare:

Ugh, you sold me.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

Apoplexy posted:

Dude, thank you. I thought it was just me, so I fired up the mod in ye olde xEdit, turns out the fucker mod author wasn't content with just adding tons and tons of spawn points, THAT ARE CONFIGURABLE, but he had to change every encounter zone level to an absurd range. There's NOWHERE you can go at level 1. Everything you encounter will be able to kill you in one hit, even with survival options changed so that incoming and outgoing damage are 100%. It's sucky.

That said, another mod, Adjusted Encounter Zones, is just as bad. Levels 3-15 for the starting zone? Get hosed.

I actually survived my first raider spawn right outside the vault with War of the Commonwealth with just the 10mm and gear you find in the vault, scavenged everything and equipped myself, and now it's fine.

Literally just survive the first encounter and so long as it's not worthless ghouls you're good to go.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

Jon Do posted:

So, I see a lot of settlement mods making me want to pick FO4 back up, but -- I made a post a while back -- really would rather wait until someone made happiness/water/food mechanics and settler behavior and AI a lot better. Mainly because settlements were the main thing driving me to play the game, and I pushed that as far as it would go for me.

I'm curious from the modders; is that stuff just not possible/accessible? People are into settlement stuff and "there's no reason to do it" was a super common complaint, so I'm afraid there's just some sort of limitation.

A lot of it had to do with most settlement options and customizations being blocked waiting for the GECK/SDK to release.

The most you could do up until recently, other than some texture stuff, was more or less limited by what you could write in a .bat file. Now we have some pretty good settlement mods coming out (Don't Call me Settler, Snap-N-Build, etc) but there hasn't been enough time for some of the more ambitious projects to really take form.

Settlements are a HUGE timesink that I put far too much work into, but there already mods like Minutemen Overhaul that directly benefit your work -- the more settlements you have with higher pops, the more and better equipped Minutemen patrols appear in the game world.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

Otacon posted:

With regards to settler behavior/AI, the answer is going to be probably not. From what I've researched, AI is going to be a bitch to change even with the geck, but there's definitely mods that allow you to have settlers perform actions with ploppable action-mats (stand here with a clipboard, do pushups here, meditate here, etc) but it's a far cry from "settlers now know how to use stairs" and "settlers no longer spawn into the same location every time you fast travel there"

To the last point, the navmeshing is apparently a bitch to work with in FO4, which is why it's so difficult to make settlers properly "go to x and do y".

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

Back Hack posted:

Simply Modular Housing

This mod is either going to end in obscurity or be the foundation for all future settlement mods. Probably the former but you never know.

That's pretty cool how they use the techniques used in the real world to build stuff.

The level of customization is amazing. So is the work, but for people who want to build more detailed structures this is pretty awesome.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

Kurr de la Cruz posted:

Really cool looking mod, but I can't seem to find any answers to the #1 most important question: Is it navmeshed? There's no point in using it if the NPCs can't navigate through it.

This question, and lack of navmesh support, is why I use virtually no building mods except for some of the snap-n-build bases.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal
The first person that implements the building system from The Sims into FO4, I will be so happy.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

Syndlig posted:

I'm interested to see if someone will eventually make a mod that lets you give the game control over how settlements look. There's some I love building up (Hangman's Alley, Red Rocket, Starlight Drive-In) and some I have creator's block or just hate (Sanctuary, any and all generic "farm" settlements). If I could relinquish creative control and just dump scrap into it and it automatically build up on its own, I'd be in heaven.

I also would love to see a mod made that lets you create custom "factions" with the ability to set hostility/friendliness and assign settlements to them. It's kind of my dream to be able to set up several small regional governments that perform border skirmishes or maybe straight-up attack and invade each other.

I agree. I do much better with the unique options with space constrictions than I do with any of the farms, or Sanctuary.

Red Rocket I turned into "Checkpoint Charlie" as the neon sign up front indicates, that is more or less a FOB with walls, guard posts, road checkpoints, and is a veritable fortress built under the roof overhang, with triage inside for wounded soldiers and power armor service stations. It protects the way into Sanctuary, where I built the Citadel (my massive crafting/storage building), and since I use max spawn War for the Commonwealth, actually serves some purpose and sees a lot of action.

But the generic farms? I basically just plop down an above ground bunker on each one armed to the teeth and they're all pretty much the same. Having beat the game several times, I do very much enjoy turning the Commonwealth into an insane warzone full of violence and using my settlements as secure ports in the storm...gives me a reason to play with them. I use Dont Call me Settler and a couple other mods that significantly beef up the armor and weapons of my settlers so they have a kind of mercenary army feel that I like. That's kind of my roleplay with it, anyway.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

Apoplexy posted:

I simply CANNOT understand having so many mods in this game, unless you really love both crazy weapons and armor.

I'm running about 200 atm.

As long as you write the patch for them they usually work fine.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

The Iron Rose posted:

Yeah honestly i was running 220 or so plugins, but if you're comfortable enough in FO4edit it's really easy to write a merged patch to address all incompatibilities.

like I literally had no incompatibilities beyond things overwriting the unofficial patch and the item sorting mod, and those I could manage myself.

The other thing is that unlike Skyrim, Fallout 4 is more stable generally and there are very few scripted mods out yet.

Yes, I attribute this to 64 bit functionally in FO4 over almost anything else though. Skyrim lacked that so hitting a memory wall with lots of mods running was pretty common.

I expect when more mods with greater complexity and depth reveal themselves, it will get tougher to write patches -- but if needed, I'll write a handy guide for goons that wish to dive into it. FO4Edit looks intimidating, but it's quite easy once you understand the "rules," and I hope they have something like BOSS support soon.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

Midnight Voyager posted:

In this case? Because Arthmoor is a known paranoid lunatic. He went on some crazy thing about how goons were mod terrorists one time that was pretty hilarious. Sent it to Bethesda, if I'm not mistaken. His forum sig is something like "RIP United States of America - July 1776 - November 2012."

So the answer is "He is not a well man."

Arthmoor is the same guy that threw an absolute fit when people began asking him why he was putting Oblivion Gates in the middle of his open cities skyrim mod, and threatened to quit modding altogether if people didn't quit trolling, at which point the trolling increased tenfold.

Dude is bonkers.

Oh and he was also one of the biggest supporters of paid modding, so is also a traitor.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal
I ended up breaking my mods using Fallout 4 tweak or whatever it is, and restoring them from a NMM backup is a huge pain in the rear end.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

The Iron Rose posted:

Weaponsmith Extended is honestly terrible. It's way better to just download the weapon mods you want and make a merged patch to deal with non-script injected levelled list edits.

And this way you don't need to deal with the awful... everything, about that mod.

That's basically what the mod SHOULD be.

Honestly FO4Edit was a pain at first but now that I know how to use it, I can be much more selective about what I want in a game. Weaponsmith is gone out of my modlist and I just use the individual weapon mods at this point, and write the patch for them.

I wish I knew how to write levelled lists for items that didn't have them, though.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

CascadeBeta posted:

Is there a mod that lets me mod my 10mm pistol into a submachine gun?

I think Weaponsmith (god help you) adds an automatic receiver but there is also an actual SMG in the game.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal
I think if Horizon doesn't plan on changing the levelled lists further, a goon made patch with some goon selected weapon/armor/item mods might be worth the time. I can help with this if needed since I know FO4EDIT somewhat, but I'm nowhere near a master and have no idea how to write levelled lists when they don't already exist. Just know how to properly merge them.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal
I'm thinking of restarting my playthrough with Horizon, since y'all are talking about it a bunch, are there some good mods that complement it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

turn off the TV posted:

Have you ever considered consulting the Bethesda website? I hear that they have a pretty good handle on Fallout 4's features.

This is debatable.