Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

Dick Trauma posted:

There's nothing like a well-timed vehicle explosion, even if it happens to be one that kills you instead of the enemy.

When i started my Survival playthrough, I was kinda dreading meeting the first deathclaw. I had trouble against him at Very Hard and figured it would be even harder this time.

'Lo and behold when it first shows up fighting some raiders, one of the raiders blew up the car next to the deathclaw crippling both legs. I never had it so easy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

Chronojam posted:

Lots of other things beyond that, but horizon does this also.

Are there other jobs without mods? The only one I can think of is the scavenging station. Then again, i only just started with settlements so I may not have build everything that has a job yet.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
If modders could band together to create one bug-free, working Fallout game and sell it to Bethesda on the cheap, that'd be great.

tia

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
So what does Horizon mod do exactly?

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014

chitoryu12 posted:

The articles on the mod page explain in detail, but it's basically a total overhaul of the game. The important stuff that will probably make or break it for you:

* No health regeneration from anything but stimpaks (which are now very rare), bandages, trauma kits, and doctors. Stimpaks are the only healing method that can be used in combat, but bandages can be crafted. Only trauma kits and doctors can heal crippled limbs. Rad-Away is more expensive but there's another, cheaper item that removes fewer rads to make up for it. Healing is done with hard numbers instead of percentages, so as your health pool increases you actually need more resources to heal to full.

* Ammo and caps are more rare in the wild, so you need to engage in more trading or handload ammo.

* More difficult, rebalanced combat. Some enemies get specific changes to their limb health to emphasize tactical dismemberment (like Protectrons are very heavily armored except for their legs).

* Much slower leveling, but you get 5 perk points every fifth level to make up for the slower pace.

* Settlements are expanded with more buildings and features.

* More crafting recipes and cooking.

* More junk items for breaking down, and you always get all of the possible items for breaking things down instead of not being able to remove a gear or circuit board from a car without turning it to scrap metal.

In general it makes the game much slower and more difficult. You actually need to do early work on your settlement and build a network of settlements to have safe bases on Survival mode and income everywhere else. Healing is so difficult (and almost impossible in combat) that you have to move very carefully to avoid getting killed.

I can see why hardcore players might want that mod, but it does sound a bit too hard for my taste.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
A while back I started a game at legendary, no mods (that's about to change i think). I figured i'd play with settlements since i never bothered before. Now I find out that Hangman's alley has this weird bug where settlres won't cross some stupid imaginary line, leaving half the settlement empty. Seems like its a known bug that Bethesda isn't fixing (what gives?)

Is there any mods that fixes this?

Also, regarding Sim Settlement, I'm very tempted. If I install it, what will happen to my current settlements? Will they get destroyed or will they somehow get incorporated in whatever gets built?

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014

Timeless Appeal posted:

Thanks for the advice, but modding has become suddenly tragic for me. I tried downloading the new Mod Organizer only for it to tell me it's missing dll files.

And Nexus's manager keeps saying it doesn't have permissions despite the fact that it should when I got to the files.

Has modding gotten harder or have I just gotten dumber?

yes

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014

Cyberpunkey Monkey posted:

Someday I'll catch that hapless idiot traveling between Oberland Station and The Red Rocket and redirect that supply line.

My Provisioner from Nordhagen Beach got caught and killed by the robots at East City Downs, so I had to retool my supply lines a bit anyway.

What?? They can get killed? Do you have to be near them and witness it for it to happen or does it just.. happen?

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014

Dick Trauma posted:

I rarely send multiple provisioners to the same settlement because the brahmin backup gets pretty bad. In this go-round I've been trying to carefully send them in a circuit, like Zamonja>Tenpines>Starlight>Sanct>RR>Abernathy and so on.

I like giving my provisioners mining helmets and a Fat Man since I never use heavy weapons. One way or another they're always my most heavily armed NPCs, particularly for the dangerous paths, and sometimes I can see their little light in the distance, often accompanied by huge explosions.

But the Logistics mod sounds like it will provide a better approach to linking the settlements. I'm looking forward to trying it.

I only started with settlements recently, but i found that linking them with the closest settlement, making sure they're all linked in one way or another, works best. You don't end up with a bunch of provisioners/brahim at one spot and you often encounter them in your travels since they're traveling all over the map rather than all to one spot.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Can you realistically try and get max stats using horizon?

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014

Roobanguy posted:

technically yes, in that you start with more stat points on start, and are able to get 5 stat points every 5 or 10? levels with VANS. but it takes so loving long to level up that you'd probably beat the game before you get enough.

What is VANS?

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014

SergZpartan posted:

Its in the game by default, leave a fusion core in a power armor, and when an enemy is near they will hop right in.
No the real trick is getting the idiots back out, you have to pickpocket the core back without getting caught.

The real fun is to find the armors again. I left a few armors with fusion core in sanctuary and when i came back they were all over the place.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014

Otacon posted:

Closest I can offer is to use the wood bridge (Under Structures>Wood>Misc I think) and clip the poles into the ground so it's right at ground level.

-

Since I'm posting here, might as well share the news that my latest save file is now broken. Tried upgrading too many mods at once, SimSettlements errors are showing up extensively in the papyrus logs. Rip 54 hours of my life.

Not sure I'll stick with SimSettlements on my next play through - even on a beefy computer, Sanctuary and other settlements were bringing my frames way down. Might just end up avoiding doing settlement stuff until I get back to where I am now quest wise.

I was considering using SimSettlements (I downloaded and installed it) but then I came to the conclusion that I never have to use any settlements except for hangman's alley so a whole mod for just 1 settlement is probably just not worth it. Instead, I decided to use my complete lack of imagination and practically copy 99% a guy's settlement he posted on youtube. It looks fuckin' awesome so I consider it a tribute to that guy, whoever he is.

*Edit: This. I'm copying this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gIGolE2-ATo

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
I installed All expanded Settlement (or something along those lines) because I wanted to be able to remove something that was juuust outside of Hangman's Alley. Once I removed the item, i deactivated the mod thinking everything was cool...

Turns out that it royally screwed my Starlight Drive-In settlement. I can't build it anymore. For some reason, the Workshop mode now only works inside the little shack with the workbench. As soon as I walk out of that shack, workshop mode gives me the 5 sec warning and closes.

Has anyone dealt with a similar issue? is there a way to fix this? I'm guessing if I reinstall the mod it will probably allow me but I don't want my settlements to be bigger than what the game usually allows. Otherwize the settlers in Hangman alley's walk on the main boardwalk (by the water) and get massacred by whatever random spawn appears there.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014

WebDO posted:

Sim Settlements question: Sanctuary allowed me to build anything I wanted and all was good until the town leveled up, and now it says it's at max capacity so I can't manually add anything. This is an error, right? And if so, how do you fix it?

That is probably due to the polygon count of your settlement. Settlement have a max size but you can get around that by dropping some weapons on the ground, going into workshop mode, and picking them up by storing into your workshop. Be warn, any weapon you use that way will be lost and you won't have access to them anymore. It will lower your polygon count (the game thinks so anyways).

Here's how: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BzuuZKh1EnE&t=115s

*Edit: The guy says he has no idea how the game figures out how much the guns are worth, but my little 5 minute experiment shows that the more complex a gun is (in terms of what mods are on it) the more it lowers the polygon count.

*Further Edit: I'm not sure polygon is the right term. The trick works tho.

Dalael fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Jul 16, 2018

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014

Otacon posted:

It's a bug in the normal game, too. I'm using the Creation Club backpack which adds carryweight, as well as some deep-pockets modded armor. Once you jump into PA, the system removes your normal armor which also removes all associated boni. You could give this mod a shot: Carry More with Power Armor but it hasn't been updated in years, or by just ignoring power armor your entire game because despite looking cool it's actually bad.

I disagree on the power armor being bad. Sure it doesn't allow much stealth and disables your normal armor, but other than that its great. There's plenty of times i didn't feel like bothering with the stealth aspect. I jump in my X-01 and just walk in the place as if I'm Robocop in the first movie killing everything in sight without taking a scratch.

The power Armor is not bad, it's just a different playstyle.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014

Broose posted:

For the people who play with sim settlements here, do you still use the city plans or just build plots yourself for advanced industrial stuff? I've gotten sanctuary to level 3, 26/26 people (finally), but find that it feels kinda hollow when I look all around and see what should be "shops" or "recreational" but the city never builds anything there. Then I find myself wanting of extra space for advanced industrial stuff and I am starting to try and find a way to tear down the city but leave the plots intact (but I can't find one so far).

Also the auto city assigner keeps taking people off the IDEK's logistic facilities which just fucks everything up if I don't manually assign someone to it before I leave. And I can't seem to figure out what point an advanced industrial should upgrade. A saw mill had collected over 300 wood, but still refuses to upgrade, while a different one had done so around 200.

I kinda wish putting junk in the supplies box in a non-city settlement at the city workbench would evenly split all resulting resources to each advanced industrial plot's stockpile so I could have a one stop place to dump stuff. That would be nice.

The SimSettlement dude seems pretty cool and receptive to ideas about his mod. I would actually suggest making that recommendation to him. Its something he might implement as an optional feature or something.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014

Otacon posted:

As was said, OCDecorator is the solution. It allows you to turn any item in the game into a placeable hard-locked prop. No more orbital pepper shakers.

Be careful with this mod tho. If you place a legendary weapon somewhere, OCDecorator turns it into a regular weapon. Something along those lines. Check the mod description for further details.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014

Wrr posted:

Saw Project Valkyrie mentioned in steam's newsfeed for FO4 got interested in the idea of more quests, until I loaded it up and saw all the Second Life caliber companions and the hideous base interiors for the factions they made. Oh well.

Any good quest mods out there? I just want more quests!

Have you considered talking to Preston Garvey? I hear there's a settlement that needs your help.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014

Berke Negri posted:

Sim Settlements is probably one of the best mods (not just in features but just generally like, keeping feature bloat down) in fo4 or any bgs game

If you don't care for settlements you can just have the towns auto-build for you so you can assign a leader/mayor whatever and it has a pre-planned layout for the town so you can leave and over time it just builds up on its own (personally i recommend disabling building requirements in settings cause I found that to take too long like really long without donating a bunch of mats which kind of defeats the purpose of set it and forget it imo)

vanilla sim settlements only has companions able to be mayors but if you search nexus for like settlements leaders theres a bunch of options for making npcs that usually come with some settlements (like surges, etc) leaders and you can pick out what you like. sim settlements works in a way even if you have two overlapping mods for leaders it wont conflict, you'll just get two separate cards for the same leaders and you can pick which one you prefer

edit: even for settlements you dont want to just automate completely sim settlements is good cause it gives you a bunch of ready to go plots for stores (also interior plots if you want to just plop down a store or something inside a building like some settlements have) or resource gathering like farms or junk mills. these will level up over time to have more inventory and fixtures as well

personally, go with the 3-in-1 sim settlement package unless you're on console and really tight on space i guess

Is there a special way to activate the pre-planned layout or? I just reached the Castle and I don't feel like building it up, so I might use that feature. I've had the mod for a while now but just haven't used any feature.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014

Arivia posted:

I'm downloading this to play for the first time ever. I'm familiar with modding Bethesda games, but I want to keep it pretty vanilla for a first-time go through. Are there any recommended mods/fixes for a first time vanilla playthrough? Stuff like the unofficial patch project but for Fallout 4?

There is fact an unofficial patch which is a must because it fixes a bunch of minor bugs that will never, ever be fixed otherwise.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014

Internet Wizard posted:

Isn't it the unofficial patch that randomly changes the spelling of refrigerator on a lot of items

If so I haven't noticed. All I care about is that Hangman's alley can be fully utilized, rather than having your plebs be unable to access half of it.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Is mod organizer still the go to or are people using vortex?

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014

A Sometimes Food posted:

Mod Organiser 2 is the best option I think.

Do I still have to figure out a mod order or is it smart enough to do it itself?

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014

Azhais posted:

You use loot like a reasonable person

I uhh.. had issues with loot and mod organizer. Never quite managed to get it working right

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Always have a look at isthereanydeal.com before buying a game. It checks so many sites.

FO4 GOTY https://isthereanydeal.com/game/falloutivgameofyearedition/info/

Currently 57% off on gamebillet.com ----> https://www.gamebillet.com/fallout-4-game-of-the-year-edition?affiliate=1c8adfeb-78f3-4d89-9a91-5b697ec73e37