Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own
So my roommate is going to get us kicked out of the apartment.

I live in a two bedroom that is a five minute walk from CSUN, a four year college we all attend with three other people. Two of my roommates share a bedroom. One roommate, which I will refer to as O, gets his own room and I sleep in the living room with deeply discounted rent. We just moved in last year and it was a pretty sweet deal. A five-minute walk to class as well as to my On-Campus job? Sign me up.

Recently, O got this idea into his head that he could build a new room in the living room as he paid enough rent and lived there long enough (since 2013). We all thought he was joking until I woke up this morning to find half the living room converted into a single bedroom (I slept in the other room since one of the roommates isn't home much due to his job). The room is so large, it eats up half the space of the living room and even cuts into the kitchen. When the two roommates and myself complained to O, he told us to gently caress off and to look for a new place to live. Apparently, he claims to know enough lawyer friends and building inspectors that it is within his right to modify the apartment however he wants. He claims that if something does happen, he'll be blamed since the apartment is under his name (Nevermind that all of our names are on our lease). I've decided to talk to my manager about this and to look for a new place.

So my question is how hosed am I when I talk to my manager about what my roommate did?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
Uh, a renter just can't start building new walls in the house.

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

cowofwar posted:

Uh, a renter just can't start building new walls in the house.

He thinks that because it's technically not violating code, it's within his right. he bragged that he knew lawyers, building inspectors and other, in his words, "powerful friends" that would be on his side. Thing is, he asked us to not leave the door fully open when entering or leaving as he did not want management to find out.:rolleyes:

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Forceholy posted:

He thinks that because it's technically not violating code, it's within his right. he bragged that he knew lawyers, building inspectors and other, in his words, "powerful friends" that would be on his side. Thing is, he asked us to not leave the door fully open when entering or leaving as he did not want management to find out.:rolleyes:

he's full of poo poo and blow him into the management and force him out and get a cool roommate. high five the new roommate

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004
Trust me when I say this, get your name of the lease and move.

I had a great place, with great housemates, apart from one oval office. Absolute oval office of a person. I should have moved when presented with the opportunity, removed myself from the lease and put everything behind me.

Get your name of the lease and move. Do it ASAP this will not end well.

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
take pictures of the new room and post them

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

OP put locks on the door to the new room and secede from the apartment. Free room!

Seriously the point of building inspectors and permits is you get those before you start modifying the building. Also, it helps if your name is on the deed to the building in question, not just a tenant of the building.

literally this big
Jan 10, 2007

Here comes
the Squirtle Squad!
Also remember to document everything, especially the fact that you had absolutely nothing to do with this.

many johnnys
May 17, 2015

Forceholy posted:

tell management, gently caress him

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

jackyl posted:

take pictures of the new room and post them

Ok

The bright white spot is where the kitchen ends. You have to walk around the room to get to it.

Space of about 7 feet.

The inside. Nothing but a bench and a shoestand in here for now. They belong to my roommate doing this. Fun Fact: My roommate would hardly use this bench and only use it as a tool, along with a seldom used surfboard to woo highly-impressionable girls.

The light switch to the kitchen is INSIDE THE ROOM.

I'll post a few more in the daylight. Apparently, he had a few interested buyers today. It's funny since he wants to be a real estate agent after this!

HOT! New Memes
May 31, 2006

One time I was renting a place with three people that was two bedrooms but had two living rooms. One had the door frame but no door so we bought a cheap one to put up and now everyone has their own room. Like three months later our landlord came in to repair something and saw the new door and threw a fit charged us almost a grand to repair the frame and refused to renew our lease over eight screws in the frame

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Your roommate is bluffing big time and you should definitely inform management of the problem. Also, gently caress squatting rights or whatever the hell, regardless of who's paying how much rent, the fact is you are paying rent, you are on the lease and you and your other two roommates (which hey, gives you majority rule even by O's thinking) have just as much say as this nitwit. More, realistically.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
Even if he does have these "powerful friends", they'll probably be pretty quick to throw him under the bus when they see what exactly he did. You should have reported it as soon as you became aware of it so it doesn't look like you were helping hide it, because no matter what he says I'm pretty sure (not a lawyer though etc) if he just says it was everyone's idea you'll all be held responsible.

Also definitely try and find a nicer place to live where you won't have to live on a couch in a common area. That sounds terrible.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
See if you can have your friend committed so he can get the help he needs for his paranoid delusions. If you post his username here we can all chip in for a taxi.

RNG
Jul 9, 2009

This is unimaginably dickish and if those walls are permanent that feller's probably about to get sued. (Also, trying to sublease to a 5th person in a 2BR apartment? What?) Hope poo poo works out.

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

Now the scene's lighting is perfect!

Forceholy posted:

So my question is how hosed am I when I talk to my manager about what my roommate did?
Incredible (as in: hard to believe these things happen) story. Get out ASAP.

Rakosi
May 5, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
NO-QUARTERMASTER

From the river (of Palestinian blood) to the sea (of Palestinian tears)
You signed a lease for a room in a house with X number of other people. One of those other people does not get to change the terms of your contract with your landlord by adding more people to the house.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum
Won't the crazy person just get evicted (and sued for tearing that poo poo down costs) and the remaining people will have to find someone to take his place? Why is this an eviction package deal?

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
They're all jointly and severally responsible so will have to fund whatever repairs are needed. Probably best to sever but may be nice to overpower the guy and torture him until he gives up the names of his powerful friends or dies

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Your friend is absolutely full of poo poo and he's going to get you kicked out and maybe even sued if the lease has anything along the lines of "jointly and separately liable"

Blocking the light switch from common access is a 100% dick move, but not a code violation btw

ShadowMoo
Mar 13, 2011

by Shine
Never seen someone that stupid to try and build/remove without the landlord's permission.

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
Dec 28, 2007

Kiss this and hang

Forceholy posted:

I'll post a few more in the daylight. Apparently, he had a few interested buyers today. It's funny since he wants to be a real estate agent after this!

Jesus Christ, I know "goons" and all, but would it hurt someone in your commune hell-hole to wipe down the light switch with some 409 and a paper towel?!

Also, since you are thinking of moving anyway march right into management with those pictures and turn him in. Then post response pls.

Adar
Jul 27, 2001
You are all going to get sued for repairs and your only recourse is going to be suing the guy for your share of the damages.

Don't report anything or do anything before talking to a lawyer.

ShadowMoo
Mar 13, 2011

by Shine
How the gently caress did he put up walls overnight without you noticing?

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
Dec 28, 2007

Kiss this and hang

ShadowMoo posted:

How the gently caress did he put up walls overnight without you noticing?

He's a sound sleeper. gotta get those 8 hours.

weas
Jul 22, 2007

Tougher than the
toughest tough guy
Seeing pictures of this apartment makes me a little sick.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Breath Ray posted:

See if you can have your friend committed so he can get the help he needs for his paranoid delusions. If you post his username here we can all chip in for a taxi.

Hey, actually never do this. I was committed by a former roommate and it was the most traumatic experience of my life. Just report him to management.

insufficient guns
May 4, 2009

personally, I would
like to fuck Wall-E

:h: :roboluv: :h:
Inform management and post updates because this is hilarious.

DEBATE ME BITCH
Jan 5, 2005

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
this is a good en thread thanks dude, dont let your room brick you in slowly cask of amontiladdo style.because thats exwctly what this sounds like lad

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

WampaLord posted:

Hey, actually never do this. I was committed by a former roommate and it was the most traumatic experience of my life. Just report him to management.

Why did your roommate have you committed? Another overnight drywall situation?

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
I lived in rented houses/apartments for years and never once even thought about carrying out permanent construction projects to add a room... I should start doing that now I guess

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Forceholy posted:

Ok

The bright white spot is where the kitchen ends. You have to walk around the room to get to it.

Space of about 7 feet.

The inside. Nothing but a bench and a shoestand in here for now. They belong to my roommate doing this. Fun Fact: My roommate would hardly use this bench and only use it as a tool, along with a seldom used surfboard to woo highly-impressionable girls.

Have you had to clean up bags of his own poo poo that he leaves around the place or devised an RC-car door-opening system for your own entry into the apartment?

ShadowMoo
Mar 13, 2011

by Shine

ThePeavstenator posted:

Have you had to clean up bags of his own poo poo that he leaves around the place or devised an RC-car door-opening system for your own entry into the apartment?

poo poo, that story is old as hell.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Adar posted:

You are all going to get sued for repairs and your only recourse is going to be suing the guy for your share of the damages.

Don't report anything or do anything before talking to a lawyer.

This is the post you should read op

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Yeah, your landlord is going to take you all to court. I'd call a lawyer before talking to him. He doesn't care who's idea it is, he will evict you all and make you pay for it since you're all on the lease.

english muffin
Feb 1, 2012
the likes of you and I
thanks for sharing pictures of your sordid little griefhole, OP.

Lor
Oct 9, 2006

Jesus, when you said he'd built a room in the living room I thought you meant he'd like, put up some sheets on a clothesline, like a cool fort.

Not actually physically putting up new drywall which those pictures seem to show. :ohdear:

Please take more photos when you can.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
Did you guys pay a damage deposit because lol.

Also scan and post your contract. You about to be boned.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Puppy Galaxy posted:

Why did your roommate have you committed? Another overnight drywall situation?

We had a couple verbal arguments and he lied to the police and said he thought his life was in danger. I never threatened his life in any way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Here's some more pictures.

The entryway

The whole thing itself

"it doesn't touch the roof so it's up to code! Hurr hurr"

Anyway, I just got back from talking to a lawyer and his advice sounded a lot like what you guys are posting now. I need to let the landlord know. Hopefully he's in today. I tried to contact him yesterday, but he wasn't in for the day.

• Locked thread