Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Parity warning
Nov 1, 2009

3rd Place, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
You haven't really lived until you've stood around in nasty stagnant water drinking piss beer with a bunch of skinny fat goons while death by electrocution looms just overhead. Buncha jealous goons itt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

I'm gonna show SA-kun my shitposting!

Forceholy posted:

Well, I finally got a hold of the landlord and let her know. She was not happy at all. Apparently, she's gonna sic building inspections on the apartment and get to the bottom of this. She sounded absolutely furious at O for pulling this kind of bullshit. Now I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop, but at least I got the ball rolling.

At the very least take comfort in refusing to enable an idiot for very long, op.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I'm not saying this whole thing wasn't a retarded idea, but if no damage or structural modifications to the apartment itself actually took place, how can putting a bunch of poorly-built floating partitions be a violation of the lease?

I'm not sure exactly what these are, but if they aren't attached to the floor or ceiling in a permanent fashion, then it's just a very stupid idea that's going to end in a giant mess and possibly injury, not a lease violation. Trying to actually rent that "room" to someone might be illegal or against the lease, but the structure itself doesn't seem to be.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
Record the inevitable confrontation between O and your landlord and post it to your tumblr.

Sashimi
Dec 26, 2008

College Slice

PT6A posted:

I'm not saying this whole thing wasn't a retarded idea, but if no damage or structural modifications to the apartment itself actually took place, how can putting a bunch of poorly-built floating partitions be a violation of the lease?

I'm not sure exactly what these are, but if they aren't attached to the floor or ceiling in a permanent fashion, then it's just a very stupid idea that's going to end in a giant mess and possibly injury, not a lease violation. Trying to actually rent that "room" to someone might be illegal or against the lease, but the structure itself doesn't seem to be.
There is no chance in hell that lovely wall is to code. So if the landlord doesn't get rid of it immediately, sooner or later they are going to have to explain its existence to a building inspector who at best would hit the landlord with fines.

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I can honestly say I've never been more curious about what the gently caress is happening in an e/n thread's op's life than I am in this thread. I cannot even comprehend a person who would think that building this thing is a good idea, it seems like genuine insanity.

Sashimi posted:

There is no chance in hell that lovely wall is to code. So if the landlord doesn't get rid of it immediately, sooner or later they are going to have to explain its existence to a building inspector who at best would hit the landlord with fines.

I think he's saying does it even count as a wall if it's not permanently attached to anything.

Does it? It's just kinda sitting there.

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Robots ruin all the fun of a good adventure.

Can you loving rip down the wall with your hands already

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Temporary walls aren't allowed everywhere - they can be banned by building codes or leases. They can also be a fire hazard.

If the landlord doesn't have a "no putting up temporary walls, jesus christ why do I have to spell this out" clause in the lease now, they're sure as hell putting one in after this.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

op your roomate wants a glory hole but is too shy to ask

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Please do not gently caress the temporary room.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

well it aint gonna gently caress itself!

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH
When I was a kid, we owned rental house where the renters decided to smash down a load bearing wall to make one big room without telling us. Needless to say, we made them put it back at their cost. My dad made them get a contractor to put it back so that the structure was sufficient.

Don't knock down a wall, or put one up, unless you own the property and you know what you're doing.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
are you gonna clean your house before she comes in

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own

Sashimi posted:

The only think keeping the walls stable are a couple of 2 x 4s screwed to the Walls.

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

Holmes on Homes this poo poo asap

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

This is amazing. I get vertigo when I try to imagine what would make me think pulling this poo poo was totally cool!

RNG
Jul 9, 2009

Forceholy posted:

The only think keeping the walls stable are a couple of 2 x 4s screwed to the Walls.

Is there an E/N goldmine

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

Who can find a virtuous woman,
For her price is far above rubies.

LonsomeSon posted:

This is amazing. I get vertigo when I try to imagine what would make me think pulling this poo poo was totally cool!

it's not vertigo. It's brain damage. Brain damage is the only thing that would make anyone think pulling this poo poo is totally cool.

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Please punch the wall down

ShadowMoo
Mar 13, 2011

by Shine
Don't think I've seen something like this. I can understand if he put in a small foldable partition, but thinking that counts as a room is just idiotic. Please tell me the person who was interested backed out once he saw this poo poo.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

You dont need to knock the wall down, just lean some groceries against it or open and close the front door a few times.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
Haha nice hazard

este
Feb 17, 2004

Boing!
Dinosaur Gum
I can't wait for the roommate's argument to the landlady:

"No you see, this room has a gold fringe around the edge, which means it is outside of your jurisdiction, as a Free Room upon the Apartment"

JonathonSpectre
Jul 23, 2003

I replaced the Shermatar and text with this because I don't wanna see racial slurs every time you post what the fuck

Soiled Meat
I think this is my favorite E/N thread of all time.

"I'm gonna show everyone... I'll build MY OWN ROOM."

Also that basement, uh, trying to figure out what to call it, how about bacteria and fungus incubator is loving horrible. Skin infections ahoy.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
In basement pool goon's defense, IIRC he admitted it was a stupid idea and that he was going to figure out some way to drain and remove the pool but stopped posting shortly after that.

ShadowMoo
Mar 13, 2011

by Shine
You would either need a long pump or a LOT of buckets.

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

OP PUNCH THE WALL DOWN.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

op is this your roomate?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Haifisch posted:

Temporary walls aren't allowed everywhere - they can be banned by building codes or leases. They can also be a fire hazard.

If the landlord doesn't have a "no putting up temporary walls, jesus christ why do I have to spell this out" clause in the lease now, they're sure as hell putting one in after this.

This is the provenance of a "don't use non-working fireplace as a fireplace" and a "do not have a waterbed" clauses in my previous lease. Whenever you see something really weird in a lease, remember: somebody actually was that stupid.

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Scudworth posted:

You're going to record this for us right? :allears:

I can only give you the highlights. All the players included:
O, the motherfucker in question

M, a Sociology major who is also taking an electrical apprenticeship in DTLA, grew up in Compton, kinda rough around the edges, but a good dude

B, an English major who wants to teach English like his parents. Santa Barbara Native. Nicest dude on the planet. Only Caucasian here.

And me.

The discussion itself was pretty short and O won't budge. Most of the discussion, he repeated that this room is here to stay and if we didn't like it, there's the door.

He claimed to be a Gangbanger and former drug dealer. M, who grew up around that life, and knowing him the longest, called him on his poo poo. He's just some middle class kid from San Diego who maybe sold a bit of weed and listens to too much Gangsta rap.

O claimed to know building inspectors that owed him favors and would let this fly. Talked to a lawyer and said this was good (as he was reading and re-reading the housing contract to make sure it was).

"Apartments and houses have the same building code. " (I actually don't know if this is true.)

"Are you an inspector, Forceholy? Do you know building code? I have friends who do. They've been doing this for years and they told me everything is up to code, so you need to shut your loving mouth"

O claimed that he would pay our security deposits himself if anything should happen:jerkbag:

"Who are you going to complain to? The manager? She hasn't been here for years. It's only her old rear end dad who collects checks in this dump. I could have this whole complex condemned if I wanted to. " (I did get in touch with her. She's pissed at him).

"By going along with this, I can save you $30 on your rent.":shepspends:

"I don't care if you guys stay or leave, this stays. I'm not worried if you do leave. I have plenty of renters and interested parties waiting to take your spots."

Me: "So you're gonna sublet the room and take the money for yourself as a wannabe slumlord?"
O: "Yeah."
Me: "There is no manager on earth that will be happy with that deal."
O: "That's the way the game us played. That's how real estate in the real world is played. Look it up."

He also claimed that he was gonna hook B up with a raise at the non profit they work at. He actually can't. O's sister, who gave O his job, is the only one who can do that. He's just bullshiting.

In the end, M, B and myself decided to consider this a lost cause and to look for a new place. I let them know I let management know, so we'll see what happens there.

I can't believe someone with a Masters degree can be this dumb.

ShadowMoo
Mar 13, 2011

by Shine
Gold Mine E/N thread.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I have to say, it's an excellent change of pace to have the OP reporting on someone 100% in the wrong. The "It was me! I was the rear end in a top hat all along!" shtick is getting pretty played out lately.

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

I forgot a couple.

When he told us he would pay our security deposit, he took out about $300 and slammed it on the table with the most :smug: look ever.

O: *story about him being a gangbanger and drug dealer*
Me: "So is that why you washed out of the Police Academy and begged your sister for a job?"
O: "YOU NEED TO SHUT YOUR loving MOUTH, FORCEHOLY! I NEVER BEGGED, I EARNED THIS poo poo! IT'S CALLED SURVIVAL!" :rant:

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum

Forceholy posted:

"By going along with this, I can save you $30 on your rent.":shepspends:

My god it's more beautiful than I imagined.

He wants to change at least $120 a month for that primo room. $150 if you assume he's taking double.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum
In college my buddies built a dividing wall for their large living room / dining room combo area to use half as a bedroom. The wall was 12 feet high and made of empty coke cans and beer cans hot glued together.
It looked better, took far more effort, and was more secure in every way than this drywall budget coffin you're dealing with.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

quote:

"I could have this whole complex condemned if I wanted to."
What, by building more rooms?

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Forceholy posted:

When he told us he would pay our security deposit, he took out about $300 and slammed it on the table with the most :smug: look ever.
Actually seems like a good idea to take that deal as long as he's still prepared to make it, but for the love of god put it in legally tight writing.

JonathonSpectre
Jul 23, 2003

I replaced the Shermatar and text with this because I don't wanna see racial slurs every time you post what the fuck

Soiled Meat
Building shambling tar paper shacks in the middle of the living room is how real estate is done in the real world! Look it up!

I learned this from my years in the street game! Slingin' my herbs on the mean streets!

The Twinkie Czar
Dec 31, 2004
I went for super stud.

Scudworth posted:

Won't the crazy person just get evicted (and sued for tearing that poo poo down costs) and the remaining people will have to find someone to take his place? Why is this an eviction package deal?

Why not evict them all? Landlord is going to cast some blame on the others, saying they should have stopped him, should have told her sooner, and couldn't possibly have slept through the construction. So why not kick them out and keep their deposits, get some maintenance done, and bring in some more students with new move-in fees and slightly higher rent?

Forceholy posted:

I can't believe someone with a Masters degree can be this dumb.

This is the cherry on top. You are a fine storyteller. He has a masters but still lives with three student roommates, had to beg a job from his sister, and can't start his real career until he gets some license. Please tell us everything about this guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

Masters in what?

• Locked thread