Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
My friend recently came out as a libertarian recently. Should I support him or shame him?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Stupid Baby
Dec 31, 2002

lip up fatty
sever

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
:sever:

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Euthanasia.

For your friend, yourself, or both.

A Stupid Baby
Dec 31, 2002

lip up fatty
your relationship, his head, your balls, whatever

all im saying is you gotta find a sharp object and start swinging it around wildly because it's the only language libertarians understand

A Stupid Baby
Dec 31, 2002

lip up fatty
well that and filing lawsuits for trivial matters that will inevitably be thrown out by the judge but not before annoying the gently caress out of everyone

The Brown Menace
Dec 24, 2010

Now comes in all colors.

i too am stuck in 2008, tell your friend to call me so we can watch the daily show with jon leibowitz together

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
an actual classical libertarian or the new type who yearn for unfettered totalitarian corporate hegemony with no oversight whatsoever

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
the new type

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
It kinda boggles my mind that anyone wants to be a full-on anaracho-capitalist libertarian in light of the poo poo Wall Street's been doing for the past decade or so. People with more money than God can already do whatever the gently caress they want

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.

Tricky D
Apr 1, 2005

I love um!
Tyranny is not being allowed to dump industrial waste into public water supplies, having to take a loss on perfectly good ground beef just because one of the workers lost his hand in the grinder, and the labor force having the right to freely associate and collectively bargain. - Libertarian Jesus

TEAH SYAG
Oct 2, 2009

by Lowtax

Gaunab posted:

My friend recently came out as a libertarian recently. Should I support him or shame him?

I hope he brings you to a long lasting sleep

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot
God hates libertarians, tell him he's going to hell

it's Adam and Eve, not Adam and Ayn

Stinky_Pete
Aug 16, 2015

Stinkier than your average bear
Lipstick Apathy
A libertarian is definitely not a joke, and I have no intention of making light of it. And it can be a tough and emotional thing for couples to go through, speaking from personal experience. And I know that it's often much harder on the woman than on the man. However, I also know that it doesn't necessarily turn you into a sad, depressed sack of tears for the rest of your life. People can move past it, and heal.

This falls in with what I was just saying above. Yes, a libertarian is a very sad occurance. But nothing dictates that I now need to follow OP and Liberlah through every second of their sad emotions, putting us right in the middle of it where, yes, it would be a bit depressing. There are a number of supporting characters in the strip through which I can tell the story, or I could break away completely with some one-shots and come back to join the characters post-ground-zero, when the pain isn't so fresh, to show how they handle it.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
you should enslave him and call it market forces

Ape Fist
Feb 23, 2007

Nowadays, you can do anything that you want; anal, oral, fisting, but you need to be wearing gloves, condoms, protection.

paul_soccer10 posted:

an actual classical libertarian or the new type who yearn for unfettered totalitarian corporate hegemony with no oversight whatsoever

they're all the same. free speech is hate.

Skeleton Ape
Dec 21, 2008

I know this is hard to believe for internet people, but it is possible to be friends with someone and not talk about politics. Have you considered not giving a poo poo about politics, op?

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Gaunab posted:

Support but pester with naive questions about roads and air and poo poo

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

mock him relentlessly imo

Stinky_Pete
Aug 16, 2015

Stinkier than your average bear
Lipstick Apathy
Seriously though, direct him to the libertarian thread in D&D so xwing can have some friendly company

noctambulous nebab
May 12, 2016

by zen death robot
Play him New Slaves by Kanye.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012

Skeleton Ape posted:

I know this is hard to believe for internet people, but it is possible to be friends with someone and not talk about politics. Have you considered not giving a poo poo about politics, op?

yeah but then i couldn't make a thread

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Gaunab posted:

That depends. Is he a Randian "Libertarian" (and thus not a Libertarian at all, really) or is he an actual Libertarian, in that he supports smaller government, strong local government, states rights >>> federal rights, and an abolishment of the drug prohibition?

Tenacious J
Nov 20, 2002

It is when I see others degraded that I rejoice knowing it is better to be me than the scum of "the people". Whenever men are equal, without that difference, happiness cannot exist. So you wouldn't aid the humble, the unhappy. In all the world no voluptuousness flatters the senses more than social privilege.

Oh wait you said libertarian not libertine. Maybe he'd rather be a libertine OP, ask him!

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Libertarians are bad. Help correct his life's course or get away!!!

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Show him a photo of Ayn Rand and tell him that she is what he's obligated to find sexy now.

Ape Fist
Feb 23, 2007

Nowadays, you can do anything that you want; anal, oral, fisting, but you need to be wearing gloves, condoms, protection.
Use these funny/sassy images to show him that his worldview is wrong and bad, and your worldview is right and good.

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

8-Bit Scholar posted:

That depends. Is he a Randian "Libertarian" (and thus not a Libertarian at all, really) or is he an actual Libertarian, in that he supports smaller government, strong local government, states rights >>> federal rights, and an abolishment of the drug prohibition?

you dont know poo poo about anything

Wee Stubby Nublet
Nov 20, 2015

by Lowtax
I confided in one of my friends recently. I shared a sockibg and shameful truth that I've been trying to keep hidden. Sure, by some of the things i come out with and say, my stance on both important and mundane issues, I'm guessing that quite a few peoplee may well have their suspicions - but neither friends or family have outright said anything about it or confronted me for the facts on the matter or the truth.

Anyway, this friend of mine. He's a close friend, very close. We were having a d&m convo the other day and I was comfortable to disclose my dirty l'il secret to him. I felt sure he'd understand my position, not judge me, and well at least (try? pretend even?) to be a little bit supportive. Apparently I was wrong! Wrong about him, wrong about trusting him with my innermost secret, just wrong about everything. Ugh!

It appears that he doesn't understand me at all. I am so torn up about this. I'm in tears as I type this... *sniffles*... been crying all day about it. How can my very best friend in the whole wide world not understand me properly? It just hurts so drat much.

It's gotten back to me from other friends in our circle (even my grandpa rang me about it for gently caress's sake!) that my trusted confidante friend has been going around whispering to all and sundry about my politics. Like wtf? He's telling people that I'm a libertarian and asking for advice on how to counsel me about it, also asking whether he should just try shame me out of my choices. I cannot believe this is actually happening!

I loving hate politics. With a passion! Take pains to avoid anything to do with the stupid poo poo whenever possible. I confided in my friend that it's in my heart, that my true nature and very essence, is to be glib. That I'm a glibertarian. Obviously my best friend doesn't understand a loving word I say. And that's just heartbreaking. FML! :(

Tricky D
Apr 1, 2005

I love um!

paul_soccer10 posted:

you dont know poo poo about anything

He's right that actual libertarians just want to do drugs.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
ask him how many bitcoins he owns

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

It's not so bad. I'm sure their knowledge of the Dewey decimal system makes them handy when you need to find reference materials.

Ibogaine
Aug 11, 2015

Skeleton Ape posted:

However, this "friend" already confessed being libertarian. Even if he never mentions it again, it isn't something that the OP can easily forget. After all, there are some things you can never forget, and much less forgive.

It's comparable to knowing that someone you're friends with is a pedophile- even if the subject never comes up again, the question remains whether you could or even should stay friends with him.

Incidentally, the correct answer is "No" in both cases.

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Wee Stubby Nublet posted:

I confided in one of my friends recently. I shared a sockibg and shameful truth that I've been trying to keep hidden. Sure, by some of the things i come out with and say, my stance on both important and mundane issues, I'm guessing that quite a few peoplee may well have their suspicions - but neither friends or family have outright said anything about it or confronted me for the facts on the matter or the truth.

Anyway, this friend of mine. He's a close friend, very close. We were having a d&m convo the other day and I was comfortable to disclose my dirty l'il secret to him. I felt sure he'd understand my position, not judge me, and well at least (try? pretend even?) to be a little bit supportive. Apparently I was wrong! Wrong about him, wrong about trusting him with my innermost secret, just wrong about everything. Ugh!

It appears that he doesn't understand me at all. I am so torn up about this. I'm in tears as I type this... *sniffles*... been crying all day about it. How can my very best friend in the whole wide world not understand me properly? It just hurts so drat much.

It's gotten back to me from other friends in our circle (even my grandpa rang me about it for gently caress's sake!) that my trusted confidante friend has been going around whispering to all and sundry about my politics. Like wtf? He's telling people that I'm a libertarian and asking for advice on how to counsel me about it, also asking whether he should just try shame me out of my choices. I cannot believe this is actually happening!

I loving hate politics. With a passion! Take pains to avoid anything to do with the stupid poo poo whenever possible. I confided in my friend that it's in my heart, that my true nature and very essence, is to be glib. That I'm a glibertarian. Obviously my best friend doesn't understand a loving word I say. And that's just heartbreaking. FML! :(

wtf

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

parody thread: My friend came out as a librarian.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

i came out as an agrarian to my dad a while ago, he seemed pretty okay with it. maybe its because he finally accepted me for who i am, with all my faults, my mistakes, my love, my generosity, and the spiritual core of my being. maybe its because he realized true love and family has nothing to do with our political affiliation. maybe its because he's buried 6 feet under a gravestone. i don't know. i'm not a mortician.

Wall Balls
Jun 3, 2007

Spanish Castle Magic

he is wrong about politics imho

garfield hentai
Feb 29, 2004
did you mean "liberal"? the word you used sounds close to that maybe that's what you meant

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Libertarians LOOOOVE trains.

• Locked thread