Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum
Having untested men barely out of their teens in a position of authority is a ww2 staple.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Abongination
Aug 18, 2010

Life, it's the shit that happens while you're waiting for moments that never come.
Pillbug
Soooo... I might be pretty excited about this game, made some stuff.

Thread update icons/picture links to videos, it's chilly out there.

Splash screens for the videos (made em big enough that they should resize fine for the most part)

Can change whatever if needed.

Abongination fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Jun 10, 2016

dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum
Thanks those look great I will definitely use them. My photoshop skill are bottom tier.

As for the HQ positions, they will have ultimately responsibility for the plan but don't worry about it too much as everyone is going to be in the same boat as you.

As for in game and without getting into too many specifics they are generally a 3 or 4 man team. They should stay within 50 or so meters of their men as they provide a buff to morale as well as hook them up to the spotting network so that information can travel between squads, companies, and ultimately up to battalion and back down the chain. Since it is a small game that won't matter as much but it is always a good idea to keep close. HQs also have the ability to direct artillery/planes. It will be overcast to no planes this time, but I can promise at least a little artillery.

I've "enhanced" the position a bit so they aren't just a 4 man team sitting behind the troops so if you are worried about it being boring do not fret my friend.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Klaus88 posted:

I snagged the last Axis tank.

Lets go Sherman hunting! :hitler:

:hitler::respek::hitler:

*immediately gets hit with a HEAT round and turret blows off.

Popete fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Jun 10, 2016

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003
Snagged German 3rd Plt HQ and bookmarked. Go get 'em.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!

Popete posted:

:hitler::respek::hitler:

*immediately gets hit with a HEAT round and turret blows off.

Everyone, let's make this happen!

(We get the biggie-size Shermans, right?)

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Davin Valkri posted:

I looked at the TO&E for Final Blitzkrieg and there are indeed the new 76mm Shermans like the Easy Eight and Sherman Jumbo....but also stuff like the Chaffee.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

In as one of the first American units to be lost (Recce).

dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum

Davin Valkri posted:

You get the Kirkland Signature Shermans.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

I grabbed a german platoon, 2/1. If we end up needing a Plt HQ Commander I'll grab that spot too.

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

Almost had this little bit of fun sneak right past me.

I will take the German platoon 3/2. Though I am more than willing to be moved around if needs be.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

I signed up for the German 1/1 squad. I'm not *good*, but I'm an experienced CM player. I'll keep my responsibilities small since this is my first actual command in one of these LPs.

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug
Signed up for 2/2 squad :911:

Abongination
Aug 18, 2010

Life, it's the shit that happens while you're waiting for moments that never come.
Pillbug
Currently utilizing iron willpower to avoid buying final blitzkrieg...not sure how long I can last.

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

Abongination posted:

Currently utilizing iron willpower to avoid buying final blitzkrieg...not sure how long I can last.

Come now, don't think of it as some "frivolous purchase". Think of it as more of a necessary expenditure to ensure that you have all the tools you will need to help your team be both victorious and to have a fun time. You wouldn't want to let the others down would you?

C'mon, you know you want to.:devil:

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

At the very least make sure you've got the demo! I'm about to fire it up for the first time.

Abongination
Aug 18, 2010

Pillbug

Ikasuhito posted:

Come now, don't think of it as some "frivolous purchase". Think of it as more of a necessary expenditure to ensure that you have all the tools you will need to help your team be both victorious and to have a fun time. You wouldn't want to let the others down would you?

C'mon, you know you want to.:devil:

Goon sadism knows no limits.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Just played the tutorial of the Final Blitzkrieg demo. It took me a while to really get the hang of what the hell I was doing, but it ended in a victory with only slightly more German casualties than American. It took me until maybe the 30 minute mark to suddenly remember "Holy poo poo, I can put infantry in buildings!"

I also learned the value of smoke, as I didn't pop smoke during the initial assault phase and paid dearly.

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."
The above is why these LPs would be much more fun if the players had no idea how the game worked.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

The Merry Marauder posted:

The above is why these LPs would be much more fun if the players had no idea how the game worked.

At the same time, I read the German vs. Soviet game Grey Hunter arranged and the utter lack of experienced commanders for the Germans (and their really top-down leadership method and unclear orders) turned it into an utter shitshow. It was surreal watching them make so many blunders, followed by the Soviets steadily realizing "Holy poo poo, they really aren't good at this."

And then Herpicle just kinda goes insane with power.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!

chitoryu12 posted:

At the same time, I read the German vs. Soviet game Grey Hunter arranged and the utter lack of experienced commanders for the Germans (and their really top-down leadership method and unclear orders) turned it into an utter shitshow. It was surreal watching them make so many blunders, followed by the Soviets steadily realizing "Holy poo poo, they really aren't good at this."

And then Herpicle just kinda goes insane with power.

Speaking of, please please PLEASE tell me if I'm doing something stupid. I'm new and dumb, and I KNOW I'm new and dumb, and I chose Battalion Command because I thought it would be the least "finicky" of the roles compared to individual squads which have to be pathed and faced and stuff.

Abongination
Aug 18, 2010

Pillbug

Davin Valkri posted:

Speaking of, please please PLEASE tell me if I'm doing something stupid. I'm new and dumb, and I KNOW I'm new and dumb, and I chose Battalion Command because I thought it would be the least "finicky" of the roles compared to individual squads which have to be pathed and faced and stuff.

You'll be right, high level command can be general enough that you can point to a thing and let your subordinates actually figure out the nitty gritty of getting it done, one of the hardest parts of being a successful commander is being hands off. A lot of real-world combat strategy carries over to the game so historical examples are good reference.

I'm really interested in how dtkozl plans to format this, some of the bigger issue's we've faced in previous LP's have been caused by players not understanding the orders they can give and the time it takes to run minute by minute games. I think the general consensus was that more abstract orders would be better but this requires a commander on each side to enter the orders intelligently without bias.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

OK, no one's stepped forward so I've just taken the US company commander spot. 2 Platoon is now available for anyone looking for a command position.

Davin Valkri posted:

That's a good thing, the biggest problems have come when people refuse to listen to feedback and double down on their errors.

koolkevz666
Aug 22, 2015
Taken the 1/2 German platoon, was fun to take part in Grey's Black Sea combat mission thread and look forward to taking part in this one.

dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum

Click me.

A new mic and a new video explaining some of the in game systems. Of course if you don't want to know how anything works you don't have to watch.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

abelian posted:

Decided my previous contour algorithm did not produce satisfactory results, but google told me that matplotlib has a contour plot feature built in.

Still could be improved, but this should be a good start. One grid square is 8 meters x 8 meters. One small contour line represents one meter of elevation. There are thick contours every 5 meters.

Nice. I have a request, though. Could you do a map with major contours every 10m and minors every 2m? The reason being that 2m contours will show the features that can hid a standing person while also crowding the map less.

Edit: We also need to start coming up with stupid landmark names.

Jaguars! fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Jun 11, 2016

Explosive Tampons
Jul 9, 2014

Your days are gone!!!
If someone doesn't know poo poo about the game or real life military tactics, should he sign up or should he buy the game and play it until good enough to join a thread like this?

Asking for a friend.

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

I'm pretty sure that we are accepting any warm bodies at the moment. Thought it would be very helpful if you downloaded the demo and fiddled around with it for a few minutes to get the basic rules down.

dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum

Explosive Tampons posted:

If someone doesn't know poo poo about the game or real life military tactics, should he sign up or should he buy the game and play it until good enough to join a thread like this?

Asking for a friend.

Anyone and everyone is welcome. Just listen to your CO, keep your head down, and you'll make it through this war in one piece!

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

Don't listen to dtkozl. Who dares wins. Show those krauts/amis who's boss.

dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum
Hush dublish everyone knows nothing of note happened in Europe 1939-1945. Especially not in Germany!

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

Explosive Tampons posted:

Asking for a friend.

It's preferred.

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."
Not by everyone. Sign up and have fun!

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
It's preferred to not have the experience/knowledge. :v:

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

Oh, yeah, 100%.

Accessibility and the occasional tactical derpery make for verisimilitudinous enjoyment.

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

My antenna is telling me that you're probably wrong about this.
Soiled Meat

Davin Valkri posted:

I would (and likely will) die for this goon :patriot:

Also I move that since I picked the one tank that was named differently from all the other tanks I should be made at least mascot but preferably commander of the US Tank Squadron, whom I will refer to from now on as The Mechanoclasts. Furthermore, my particular tank appears higher up on the sheet than the other tanks.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
Oh hell yeah you know I'm down for this. Second platoon is is gonna find some glory.

Acebuckeye13 fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Jun 12, 2016

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

Cathode Raymond posted:

Also I move that since I picked the one tank that was named differently from all the other tanks I should be made at least mascot

Let me help.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
Also:

The Merry Marauder posted:

Nobody listen to this. It might be more "fun" for the observers, but for actually playing the game knowing what your units can and cannot do is an absolute godsend for both planning and understanding what's going on. Everybody owes it to themselves to at least play around with the demo to get a feel for the system, and to look at a few of the other LPs to see how the game is played. Trust me, after having played in the last three of these games (Plus offshoots), they're a lot more fun when both sides know what's going on.

Davin Valkri posted:

And the above goes double for you. It's alright to be new and inexperienced, but you'll definitely want to play through the demo and get a feel for how the game is played. You can certainly be hands off, but you'll have to keep a keen eye on what you want each platoon to accomplish, if those goals are being adequately communicated to your underlings, and if they actually have the resources to accomplish what you want them to achieve.

Also if anyone's interested, have a link to the most recent one of these games-Combat Mission: Black Sea (Bit of a curbstomp, but still pretty illustrative of what to do and what not do do)

Acebuckeye13 fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Jun 12, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
While the cohesion and performance of knowing what you're doing is great for everyone playing, it is nowhere near required. You should try the free demo to learn the limitations and such of the mechanics but even without that it should be just fine.

And presumably the observer thread can get entertainment from the game regardless of people knowing what the gently caress they're doing or not.

Either way, if you're reading this and wondering if you should sign yourself up you should. Regardless of experience or knowledge it's not only a game but one where many people are here to help you or answer any questions you may have about it.

:justpost:

• Locked thread