Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
True. I've been using the "cancel on move" in my recent games and I see the benefit (though I still need to adjust to it a little).

The one thing I'm going to say I'm a bit disappointed by is the cosmetic unlocks. They're not really all that good as compared to stuff like Dota or Overwatch where you can get some really good looking alt skins. Though its just a minor complaint and has no bearing but if they want people to shell money for the cosmetics you should make them worthwhile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

burger time
Apr 17, 2005

Yea I totally agree. The cosmetics are really disappointing, even compared to BLC. They don't change very much, they don't pop at all, they're extremely underwhelming. That said, it's beta, there's time to add better ones.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
One other disappointing thing is 3v3 seems to be dead and 2v2s take a while to find matches on at the moment. Aside from the 3v3 thing, it's just like playing BLC on US servers :unsmith:

Though hopefully that's just because its the beta and there's only so many people actually playing.

Mekchu fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Sep 4, 2016

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
I got matchmade against the same person about 7 times in a row, the population is just really small. If they sprinkle "Play 3 3v3 matches" or what have you among the possible daily quests there should be people playing 3v3 even if it's a fairly small portion of the playerbase at any given time.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So they didn't bother putting in a word filter for your account/player name.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
I don't know how you get it to work since I've only managed it twice out of 10+ attempts but it's possible to use sheep boy's ult to teleport out of the pre-round waiting room. I even managed to get over to the other side of the map and say hi to the opposing team as the countdown started.

Ragg
Apr 27, 2003

<The Honorable Badgers>
This game is like good old BLC before they messed it up with all the stat crap. I'm digging it. Not sure how I feel about the talents. Starting on mounts is cute. Playing Alchemist and it's like the good old days complete with getting blown up because I'm bad, although they have a roll now so it's not quite as bad.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
Game seems fun and the hero reworks are pretty radical. Battlerite system seems 'eh', I feel like everyone's just gonan figure out the best battlerites for 90% of situations and you'll not see much variation.

It's up to stunlock to not be retarded with the pay model and to make people play it, which really makes me question why they're still going NO DO NOT STREAM THIS DO NOT HYPE THIS DO NOT LET ANYONE KNOW THIS EXISTS when it comes out on EA in uh, 3 weeks

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
:frogsiren: New Beta - 9/14 to 9/16 :frogsiren:

quote:

Wednesday September 14th, 15:00 CEST (9:00 AM EDT / 6:00 AM PDT), 2016 to Saturday September 17th, 10:00 CEST (4:00 AM EDT / 1:00 AM PDT), 2016.

Patch notes will be officially available as we draw closer to the beta session, but we want to send a big thank you to everyone who participated in the latest beta session. Your feedback is appreciated and we hope you had a great time in Battlerite!

Here are the major topics we have decided to address from the feedback received:

Movement speed: Some players mentioned that the movement speed in Battlerite felt a tad slow whilst others believed we already hit the sweet spot. Our current standpoint is that we are quite happy with the speed but nevertheless are working on some tweaks for the next build to see if we can further improve this area.

Uninterruptible Ultimates: A common topic has been the fact that channeling ultimates are uninterruptible and generally hard to counter. For us, it’s important that Ultimates feel powerful and satisfying to pull off whilst still remaining fair. We’re currently looking at what can be done to remove the frustration players experience in regards to facing uninterruptible channeling ultimates, whilst still having these abilities adhere to a common ruleset.

Cancel Casting: The more seasoned “BLC” players have brought up complaints regarding the 1.5s cooldown on cancel casting. The reason for this cooldown has been to reduce over-reliance on baiting as well as to improve the visual clarity of the game. We are trying out some changes and improvements to make cancel-casting feel better but without making the mechanic too strong amongst top-tier players.

Ranking System: As mentioned in previous posts, the current ranking system is in an early state. We will put a lot of effort into improving it during the Early Access period; you can however expect some updates and changes to the current system before Early Access!

Customization: There have been concerns about the quality of some cosmetic items. We are working on finding the perfect balance for different types of items and rarities and pushing the quality to a higher standard. You can expect updates to occur to existing items over time. Some changes are already in place for the next build. Oh, and Silver Chests now guarantees at least one rare item, so no more triple avatar chests!
Besides these major topics you can expect some balance-tweaks, battlerite updates and fixes across the board for the next session!

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
I should have more time to actually check that one out as it won't be during Labor Day weekend.

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

In blc, you had faster movement if you faced the direction you were moving, so as to provide a tradeoff between running while facing your opponent (and being able to directly fight back) and running while facing away (not being able to directly fight back).

Does anyone know for sure one way of another if that still in Battlerite?

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ruzihm posted:

In blc, you had faster movement if you faced the direction you were moving, so as to provide a tradeoff between running while facing your opponent (and being able to directly fight back) and running while facing away (not being able to directly fight back).

Does anyone know for sure one way of another if that still in Battlerite?

Not really from what I recall.

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Unfunny Poster posted:

Not really from what I recall.

I didn't notice it either, but I also saw a lot of people trying to utilize the movement speed increase that would have been there. Maybe just habitual or hopeful behavior on their part, though.

Macavity
Jun 29, 2006

There never was a cat of such deceitfulness and suavity.
Fun Shoe

Unfunny Poster posted:

:frogsiren: New Beta - 9/14 to 9/16 :frogsiren:

Most of these notes seem like "yes, we read your feedback, but...nah, though."

Anyway, I got a beta key, really looking forward to trying this out instead of just bitching about it on a forum!!!

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

Macavity posted:

Most of these notes seem like "yes, we read your feedback, but...nah, though."

Anyway, I got a beta key, really looking forward to trying this out instead of just bitching about it on a forum!!!

I got that vibe as well from their email. Well at the best that means they have a strong vision and are sticking to their guns, and at worst it mean's they don't have a good grasp on their own game. I never played BLC so I have no clue which way it's going to be!

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
I'd honestly be more concerned if they immediately acceded to every bit of negative feedback about their game. Trying to twist their games to make people happy is what ruined Bloodline Champions (thanks Funcom and F2P addicts)

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Brannock posted:

I'd honestly be more concerned if they immediately acceded to every bit of negative feedback about their game. Trying to twist their games to make people happy is what ruined Bloodline Champions (thanks Funcom and F2P addicts)

Same. It's good they have a vision. I am just glad they are not trying to make significant balance changes based on the reports/requests of people whose skill levels are almost unknown.

Pros and newbs might both have completely valid observations in their games that would cause them to recommend opposite changes to balance. Determining which of those such changes to take (if either of them) is something that should be considered carefully.

On the other hand, if a suggestion is unilaterally made across many skill levels, it's easier to justify its implementation.

What I do hope is that they make any future implementation of some suggestions seen now as simple as just changing a variable in the game code. That way if they do determine that, for instance, move speed should depend on angle of movement vs facing, then they can just tick a checkbox in unity or something.

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

Got an invite to the upcoming beta, I guess I'll try it. I don't remember signing up but whatever! Lol. I remember BLC being cool but really hard, maybe I'll be a bit better at this.

BigLeafyTree
Oct 21, 2010

http://www.tentonhammer.com/giveaways/battlerite-we-re-giving-away-5000-keys

Tons of keys available here. You have to connect via Google or Facebook.

I'm super excited for the beta in 2 days, I've been hungry to play again after that first test. It's interesting how they've taken some characters nearly wholesale from BLC while others have been reworked or are like fusions of previous characters. With 2v2 as the stated focus, they've given pretty much all the heroes self-healing, or at least the option to spec into it which is interesting because you're less tethered to your healer if you have one. I'm unsure if healers are actually optional, but it seems like it's not terrible to go without?

I'm optimistic that the Battlerite spec system won't just be a 'spot the scrub', one true build kind of thing. Mounts are... okay? They have a long cooldown speed boost so they can give you occasional large scale movement options, or maybe even a way to get in depending on how good your dodging is. Take any of my opinions with a grain of salt because I was medium-good at best at BLC and that was a very long time ago.

I'll do some basic write-ups about the game and specific heroes in the next few days.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

BigLeafyTree posted:

http://www.tentonhammer.com/giveaways/battlerite-we-re-giving-away-5000-keys

Tons of keys available here. You have to connect via Google or Facebook.

I'm super excited for the beta in 2 days, I've been hungry to play again after that first test. It's interesting how they've taken some characters nearly wholesale from BLC while others have been reworked or are like fusions of previous characters. With 2v2 as the stated focus, they've given pretty much all the heroes self-healing, or at least the option to spec into it which is interesting because you're less tethered to your healer if you have one. I'm unsure if healers are actually optional, but it seems like it's not terrible to go without?

I'm optimistic that the Battlerite spec system won't just be a 'spot the scrub', one true build kind of thing. Mounts are... okay? They have a long cooldown speed boost so they can give you occasional large scale movement options, or maybe even a way to get in depending on how good your dodging is. Take any of my opinions with a grain of salt because I was medium-good at best at BLC and that was a very long time ago.

I'll do some basic write-ups about the game and specific heroes in the next few days.

On top of the self-heal battlerites (most of these feel kind of underwhelming imo), the mid rune heals your whole team, there are health and energy pickups around the rune area and most healer m2 abilities have limited charges with longish cooldowns (with battlerites to decrease those somewhat).

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
BLC's aesthetic was better. :shrug:

I keep confusing with Battleborn, and was dissappointed when I heard that sucked, but I guess that isn't this. :v:

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax

Anatharon posted:

BLC's aesthetic was better. :shrug:

I think the designs were more interesting but the color choices and lower quality textures really hurt it. If they had just made BLC but prettier and higher contrast it could've looked really cool, but as it stands Battlerite feels like an improvement.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

HMS Boromir posted:

I think the designs were more interesting but the color choices and lower quality textures really hurt it. If they had just made BLC but prettier and higher contrast it could've looked really cool, but as it stands Battlerite feels like an improvement.

I didn't like the concessions made for consistent team coloring in BLC, but I much prefered the character visual design.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
Servers are up.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012
Patch notes: http://steamcommunity.com/games/504370/announcements/detail/568966489652999153

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler
oh dang im downloading this when i get home, loved me some blc

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

Does anyone play like Seeker because I just want to play him forever.

edit: Iva is not seeker but she's really fun.

Phoix fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Sep 14, 2016

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

i have already made someone ragequit this game

DirtyTalk
Apr 7, 2013
Is the steam group the only thing we got going for battlerite goons? Any Discords or anything?

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
This game is fun as hell. I haven't felt this excited to learn a game in a long time.

DirtyTalk
Apr 7, 2013

Megasabin posted:

This game is fun as hell. I haven't felt this excited to learn a game in a long time.

They intended to make this game's learning curve a bit less steep to try to cater to a larger user base. BLC was one of the most perfect PvP games I've ever played, They just couldn't hold a population for the life of them. Hoping the changes they make keep everyone on board this time around.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
This game owns, the changes they made to the visability of moves and everything went a long way

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
Anyone want to start writing some words about heroes. I'm no where near good enough yet

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
I like this game's Psychopomp better than BLC

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

Just Pick Jade

FUKKEN
Dec 27, 2007
PROTIP: To defeat the Cyberdemon, shoot at it until it dies.
Reminder there's a discord setup to find groups: https://discord.gg/gRX76tt

BigLeafyTree
Oct 21, 2010

Megasabin posted:

Anyone want to start writing some words about heroes. I'm no where near good enough yet

Not at my computer but here's a basic primer. Count your gap closers and your outs. Don't burn your mobility to do minimal damage if you'll need it to keep a Croak from turning you inside out. Remember that if you burn all your cooldowns getting in, you can't use them to get out. If you have a healer, try to stay in line of sight. If you can land M1s that's often a great choice if not the best because they do good damage. Think about what you'll use energy on. The orb is good, get it if you control the mid or try to steal it you don't.

Macavity
Jun 29, 2006

There never was a cat of such deceitfulness and suavity.
Fun Shoe
This game is fun as gently caress. I'm two hours in and have only tried two champions. The visual design is a huge step up, in terms of readability, from BLC. Killing enemies with a sick snipe feels really, really good.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
Pomp is an infuriating fuckmaster and I'm going to main her

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I really love Pearl, super fun hero, but that might just be because she shits on ranged and people don't seem to go hard on melee heroes in my games yet. Not-Inhibitor is also cool, I don't like his gimmick as much as Olm/Sol but it's still cool enough and Inhibitor's Barrier was and will forever be The Good poo poo.

• Locked thread