Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
I was watching a few streams on my phone last night before going to bed and I have to say that this game is one of the most spectator-friendly games I've watched. Overwatch is not spectator-friendly at all (you're limited to exactly what the streamer sees, and it's not usually clear what they're reacting to or what the situation is), and the various dotalikes have such large maps and such broad gamestates that you're frequently watching some dude screw around and not doing anything.

Battlerite, though, the action is constant, the view almost always has everyone, and it's very clear what the flow is and what abilities are being used. A+. Stunlock really really improved on this aspect compared to Bloodline Champions and I think it's going to be a major boost to the longevity of the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arzachel
May 12, 2012
I noticed you could cancel Ashka's m2 and Poloma's Otherside which I don't think you could in BLC. Any other neat tricks like that?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
They definitely need to get in contact with some known streamers or something though and dole out a few free early access copies. They tweeted a few times like "hey come watch Hafu play! it's like old times!!" and she's a pretty popular streamer but they need to do that for people who don't have the BLC background. Internethulk was streaming a bit last night and said the game felt sick as hell, comp-minded people loved BLC and they'll probably like this too

BigLeafyTree
Oct 21, 2010

Arzachel posted:

I noticed you could cancel Ashka's m2 and Poloma's Otherside which I don't think you could in BLC. Any other neat tricks like that?

Using the cancel button lets you end any channeling thing early, which is great if you're using a counter stance and nobody pops it making you a sitting duck. Bakko gets a lot of advantage from cancelling Bulwark after stunning someone because then he can immediately start swinging. Poloma's Otherside can be cancelled out of by whoever is in it, which is useful because you don't always want to be out of the fight for the maximum possible time.

Besides that...
-Taya's Tornado cannot be cancelled out of early, but you can choose where you exit, and it. an pop you over a wall if you're close enough.
-Dispelling Croak's poison prevents him healing from it any further as well.
-Croak's ult does good damage but it's very telegraphed when it's going to happen, so if you're in the air or invincible when it explodes you take no damage.
-Varsh's ult only gets additional jumps if he hits things, so if you dodge a hit through movement or invulnerability it's over, but note that he can jump through the center orb and that counts, or even through allies if he took the upgrade that lets it heal allies.
-Astro's charged up M1 applies a nasty weaken, but the charge is consumed whether he hits or misses. If you can dodge it, counter it, or knock him back during his swing he'll miss out on it.
-Freya's self-shielding seems to be all considered one buff, so gaining more shield will refresh the duration of any shield you already have. This can be useful if you manage to build up a ton, which she can do under the right circumstances with things like her R or people hammering on you during your counter.

The thing that's been becoming more obvious to me is that the orbs are very strong, both the health ones and the energy ones as well as the center one. If there's a break in the fight mount up and dash around getting them all, it helps a lot.

BigLeafyTree fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Sep 18, 2016

Buller
Nov 6, 2010
I went into BLC a few months ago and it was very sad, playing wsith the same 5 guys every game, I really hope Battlerite will draw alot of simultanious players.

Macavity
Jun 29, 2006

There never was a cat of such deceitfulness and suavity.
Fun Shoe

Oh man, that is the dream play with Sandguy, I've never pulled it off but always wanted to. Kudos

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
I've done it two or three times, it's particularly satisfying when it's the last hit you need.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Thank you, Battlerite Beta End Survey, for finally settling the age old debate: Smash is a Fighting Game.

burger time
Apr 17, 2005

Battle rite is a fighting game

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

burger time posted:

Battle rite is a fighting game

the subreddit is moderated by a project m developer, it checks out

sorry street fighter fans

burger time
Apr 17, 2005

battlerite is more of a fighting game than smash brothers.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

new marketing campaign for battlerite revealed

Minera fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Sep 19, 2016

Foodchain
Oct 13, 2005

Minrad posted:

This is a thing that needs to exist because I have heard "ah man, I don't want to play another moba right now" too many times while trying to recommend this game.

Ragg
Apr 27, 2003

<The Honorable Badgers>
It's a MOBA, but not a Dotalike.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler
i am very excited for EA, only regret i have is not getting ashka to 10

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax

Ragg posted:

It's a MOBA, but not a Dotalike.

This would make sense if MOBA actually meant Multiplayer Online Battle Arena but it's literally just a word made up by a Dota competitor to avoid saying Dotalike. I doubt anyone understands "MOBA" as anything other than "Dotalike".

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

HMS Boromir posted:

This would make sense if MOBA actually meant Multiplayer Online Battle Arena but it's literally just a word made up by a Dota competitor to avoid saying Dotalike. I doubt anyone understands "MOBA" as anything other than "Dotalike".

Yeah, Quake and Smash and Blood Bowl all fit Multiplayer Online Battle Arena but no one calls them mobas.

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

Minrad posted:

https://gfycat.com/PointedSillyChick

Man, I gotta learn Varesh. Sad that I can't access replays since I had some plays I thought were pretty dope I'd love to gif. (using Oldur's catch on Jade's snipe, then using it to interrupt her ult :hellyeah: )

Added this to the op because :potg:

Edit: also this

Minrad posted:

Ruzihm fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Sep 19, 2016

Bloodmobile
Jun 15, 2012
http://steamcommunity.com/games/504370/announcements/detail/568967047176899776

SLS posted:

Early Access now grants you access to ALL future champions, forever!
That’s right, even when Battlerite launches Free-to-Play, you will get access to every single champion that enters the arena, forever!

Upon release, this bundle will no longer be available. This is the best value you can get for the amount of content on offer.

That sounds like a pretty sweet deal.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
There has never been a "buy this game now and get EVERYTHING FOREVER" package that wasn't a terrible deal. It's the ultimate sign that a game is DOA.

Unfortunate because this game doesn't deserve that, but that's the writing on the wall right there.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

if its anything like smites deal in beta, yeah, 30 bucks got you all the heroes forever, which was insanely good since they started pricing the new heroes at, what, 5 bucks a hero? i forget

burger time
Apr 17, 2005

Any word on how much early access will cost?

Bloodmobile
Jun 15, 2012

burger time posted:

Any word on how much early access will cost?

20 bucks is the general estimate I've seen thrown around.

K8.0 posted:

There has never been a "buy this game now and get EVERYTHING FOREVER" package that wasn't a terrible deal. It's the ultimate sign that a game is DOA.

Unfortunate because this game doesn't deserve that, but that's the writing on the wall right there.

Smite did it and that game did extremely well. I don't know what other games have done it but it certainly isn't a death sentence.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Glutton tease + new map

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CTyLkYtMAgc

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I was hoping it was a Stalker preview, what with the giant Stalker statues around the arena, but Glutton is cool too. Probably means Thorn is a while off though, don't see them adding two tanks back to back.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

liking the wall positions, forces you to move more towards mid if you're kiting south

Bloodmobile posted:

Smite did it and that game did extremely well. I don't know what other games have done it but it certainly isn't a death sentence.

yeah smite is still pretty successful, so its definitely not the end of the game, more a benefit to get people on board sooner rather than later

burger time
Apr 17, 2005

whens metal wardennnnn ;_;

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Rafza posted:

yeah smite is still pretty successful, so its definitely not the end of the game, more a benefit to get people on board sooner rather than later

Yeah I think it's critical for this game to get a big playerbase right away so it can build off that and grow, especially with so much other competition on Steam.

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

every post on r/battlerite is basically "this game is doa unless they have a bundle with all heroes in it" so im not surprised to see this

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

Brannock posted:

Yeah I think it's critical for this game to get a big playerbase right away so it can build off that and grow, especially with so much other competition on Steam.

extremely

honestly im in, i'll probably spend literal months of game time with this if not more so 20-30 bucks is a pittance

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

this game is actually incredibly good and I will do my part to get the word out, with this post

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Radical posted:

every post on r/battlerite is basically "this game is doa unless they have a bundle with all heroes in it" so im not surprised to see this

I agree completely fwiw. maybe not doa but it'd be a bad decision

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

Yeah just straight up do what Smite did. 20 dollars if you get it now, 30 or 40? if you get it after launch, and just have the occasional holiday sale at 20 bucks again.

I'm feeling pretty confident in the game, honestly, as a BLC worry-wart that was expecting the worst. If Hi-Rez can survive and thrive off of a game like Smite, then poo poo, Battlerite can totally go the distance and stick around for a long while.

I am hoping they are smart enough to uh, do some free weekends or beta periods during the EA though. I got a few friends to try it during this last beta period, but I have a few friends that couldn't and asking them to pony up 20 bucks is a bit steep for an unknown I guess.

Minera fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Sep 19, 2016

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Hi-Rez, while I like Paladins and loved Global Agenda, succeeded with Smite because they threw huge amounts of capital at the competitive scene and streamers. I love BLC and will presumably love this, but Stunlock or whatever they're called now seems to be coasting on the game's mechanics and legacy for getting a player base rather than aggressive marketing and courting tastemakers (lol) and comp players.

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

i think this game works better than something like league does in terms of only really needing a few heroes to focus in on but i think in hindsight even league's champion model only works because it got in so early and people just liked the game in spite of it. stuff like runes are being phased out over the next few years too, its just sort of leftovers of an experiment that didn't really work out.

giving people with money the option to spend it and people with a bunch of time but no money being able to still play the game seems like the best of both worlds imo

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

Countblanc posted:

Hi-Rez, while I like Paladins and loved Global Agenda, succeeded with Smite because they threw huge amounts of capital at the competitive scene and streamers. I love BLC and will presumably love this, but Stunlock or whatever they're called now seems to be coasting on the game's mechanics and legacy for getting a player base rather than aggressive marketing and courting tastemakers (lol) and comp players.

It remains to be seen what their marketing plan for Battlerite is, but I imagine if they have big esports/comp plans they'll get revealed late in EA for 2017. Stunlock -does- have a decent amount of funding for this, and I imagine they could pull more if it looks like they're on the verge of pulling off something big. All the poo poo they've done so far is so cheap that it's certainly just a developer using some spare time to post on facebook/twitter/etc.

Minera fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Sep 19, 2016

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
I feel pretty confident about Battlerite's chances to thrive, or at least do more than get by on life support and a community of a whopping ~50 active players like BLC did for years.

1) it's on Steam
2) all heroes unlocked from the get-go (if you pay ~$20 during EA)
3) built-in hardcore BLC playerbase screaming its praises at every turn (there are dozens of us, dozens!)
4) no medallian/traits, and battlerites is a good system allowing for some specialization and counter-play
5) the spectate system is very impressive. If they invest in competitive even a little bit and leverage a VR cameraman during events, I think it has the potential to take off. This game is made to be a spectator sport.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler
paragon is fun and all but even less watchable than smite / league, and paladins or battleborn is p lol, but this game is very simple to watch; theres two teams and they throw magic or whatever back and forth. someone who has never played a dotalike can look at one match and go "oh wow that dude just threw a fireball and killed that other dude, this is very my poo poo" without wondering what minions or towers or item builds are

i think it'll have its place and it'll attract a big enough following to be worth investing in for them, but yeah it remains to be seen how they actually push it. i wasn't around for the tail end of BLC, what did they do (or not do) for it to die? just a lack of promotion or what

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Yeah just silence, mostly. Twitch wasn't quite the behemoth it is now so not getting streamers on board was pretty excusable, but short of the launch on Steam I can't remember any fanfare period. It didn't help that there was basically zero response from SLS about the whole "why should I play yet another moba?" misconception.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
I wish they would have streamed employee inhouses today or something while we're waiting for EA to open up.

• Locked thread