Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nonviolent J
Jul 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Soiled Meat
someone post that cool animatin from one of the later movies that hermione tells, that was good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

hemale in pain posted:

guns dont work in the magical world idiot!!!

I mean they're walking around in london so their anti-technology aura probably doesn't reach that far. Shoot them from half a mile away and the only thing entering that zone is literally just a dumb piece of metal going fast

Nonviolent J
Jul 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Soiled Meat
okay i will

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TgmEEDyeDv8

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Wicker Man posted:

Also, they make a big deal about needing to shout out spell names, but then you've got so many wizards doing magical things with their wands without having to say a word.

yep thats just stupid. the electricity thing was the only obvious flaw that was explained in the first book as far as i remember

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
im gfoing to name my son bulbus

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

Lollerich posted:

Nope. gently caress you. Stopped reading right there.

That was in the epilogue of the last book.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
I really liked Harry Potter but after all the stupid poo poo JK has done since I'm really not interested in reading anything else she wrote.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

JediTalentAgent posted:

The US would develop a lot of slang to deal with the poo poo they'd do the wizards/witches, too.

Waterboarding will become 'melting", airstrikes would be become 'house dropping", people would talk about their 'ruby slipper' souvenirs they brought back from Witch War One.

Oh, and they'd use a tarot deck to identify the top Death Eaters instead of a deck of playing cards.

holy gently caress. my sides. I want this to be real. just 2 cia dudes in lovely wizard robes, just working over a death eater in some blacksite. then they have the centaur on site sodomize him.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Mange Mite posted:

I mean they're walking around in london so their anti-technology aura probably doesn't reach that far. Shoot them from half a mile away and the only thing entering that zone is literally just a dumb piece of metal going fast

Well and they've been shown to have functional magic buses and things that are substantially mechanically more complex than a gun (and which also rely on electricity...) in close proximity to magic, so we can probably just chalk this up to effective UK gun control policies (which might have been propagated by wizards in the first place!)

I'm the U.S. probably has literal gun wizardry

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
They should have put Harry's son into Hufflepuff and have that be a source of shame in the family. At least Slytherin and Ravenclaw have some cool stuff. Hufflepuff probably play the wizarding version of Magic the Gathering or Yugioh. Except for wizards, it's called 'Mundane' and it's all cards built around what they think are muggle fantasy.

*Draws "Eye Beam" card. One of opponent's card is hypnotized by a wooden aquarium that shows a series of glowing green letters and numbers for next 3 turns.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

a7m2 posted:

oh that ones actually explained: magic fucks with electricity and machines that run on them. its retarded but thats what it says in the first book if i remember right (its been over ten years lol)

Yeah but guns don't use electricity.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Nanomashoes posted:

Yeah but guns don't use electricity.

EXACTLY.

LGD posted:

Well and they've been shown to have functional magic buses and things that are substantially mechanically more complex than a gun (and which also rely on electricity...) in close proximity to magic, so we can probably just chalk this up to effective UK gun control policies (which might have been propagated by wizards in the first place!)

Balooney. England definitely has some guns for hunting animals. Just send these hunters after Voldemort and the problem is solved. There's goddamn hunting lodges, and knowing how brits make pomp and ceremony out of everything, there's surely some upper class harry potter wizard who's a member of it. They can't all be Mr. Weasley's, fumbling with rubber ducks.

I don't know why I'm caring so much about what will most likely turn out to be intentionally fake spoilers.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Wedemeyer posted:

Balooney. England definitely has some guns for hunting animals. Just send these hunters after Voldemort and the problem is solved. There's goddamn hunting lodges, and knowing how brits make pomp and ceremony out of everything, there's surely some upper class harry potter wizard who's a member of it. They can't all be Mr. Weasley's, fumbling with rubber ducks.

I don't know why I'm caring so much about what will most likely turn out to be intentionally fake spoilers.

The other obvious flaw with that theory is that the people in question are members of an entirely secret parallel society who can magically teleport themselves long distances at apparently trivial cost and render themselves invisible/mind control people/etc. so even if the UK had eliminated every firearm/bullet on its shores there's nothing stopping Joe Warlock from taking a leisurely half-hour jaunt and coming back with a few crates of automatic rifles and ammunition. :ssh:

Zefiel
Sep 14, 2007

You can do whatever you want in life.

trap sprung, but the 'wizards' are so far removed and think of regular human society is so beneath them that they are supposed to not know jack about any regular human technology any more than a human is expected to know all about wizarding. What I'm saying is that you could probably press the gun against a wizard's head and he would never think of stopping you until it was too late

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

It's almost like Harry Potter is a poorly written kids book and its internal logic doesn't hold up to scrutiny.

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

LGD posted:

Lee Harvey Oswald was a wizard

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Zefiel posted:

trap sprung, but the 'wizards' are so far removed and think of regular human society is so beneath them that they are supposed to not know jack about any regular human technology any more than a human is expected to know all about wizarding. What I'm saying is that you could probably press the gun against a wizard's head and he would never think of stopping you until it was too late

:spergin:

Which works for advanced technology like computers and smartphones and the like, but they clearly interact with muggles enough that they should have some idea of what a gun is, even if they don't know the first thing about how they function. And since guns have been the premier military technology for the past ~600 years or so, you'd think a wizard might have looked into them at some point. Especially given stuff like the 2nd World War, which they could not possibly have missed the effects of, no matter how removed from normal Muggle society they were.

I mean the actual answer is that its a whimsical children's fantasy that very obviously does not hold together, nor does it need to, but if you're going to look at ways in which it fails to hold together this is a pretty prominent one

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

LGD posted:

:spergin:

Which works for advanced technology like computers and smartphones and the like, but they clearly interact with muggles enough that they should have some idea of what a gun is, even if they don't know the first thing about how they function. And since guns have been the premier military technology for the past ~600 years or so, you'd think a wizard might have looked into them at some point. Especially given stuff like the 2nd World War, which they could not possibly have missed the effects of, no matter how removed from normal Muggle society they were.

I mean the actual answer is that its a whimsical children's fantasy that very obviously does not hold together, nor does it need to, but if you're going to look at ways in which it fails to hold together this is a pretty prominent one

dont forget the muggle born wizards that know about modern technology up until they turn 11 and get sent to secret wizard school

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Nanomashoes posted:

It's almost like Harry Potter is a poorly written kids book and its internal logic doesn't hold up to scrutiny.

If Diane Duane can write a children's magic/fantasy novel that holds up through nearly 30 years of scrutiny and rereads, Rowling can too. :colbert: Get your poo poo together!!

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?

Nanomashoes posted:

only the first three or so are childrens books, then people start getting murdered constantly and half of each book is about ~teenage feelings~

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Teenagers are kids.

Bob James
Nov 15, 2005

by Lowtax
Ultra Carp

Nanomashoes posted:

I still believe.

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

The good wizards are too dumb to use guns and the bad wizards are too smug, this is canon

The real reason is because it would be boring, you :spergin:s, stories don't need layers of retarded justification about the ~realism~ in order to work

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

notZaar posted:

I really liked Harry Potter but after all the stupid poo poo JK has done since I'm really not interested in reading anything else she wrote.

her detective novels are pretty good

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

TheIncredulousHulk posted:

The good wizards are too dumb to use guns and the bad wizards are too smug, this is canon

The real reason is because it would be boring, you :spergin:s, stories don't need layers of retarded justification about the ~realism~ in order to work

I would actually be extremely interested in reading about wizard black-ops and the insane internal politics of the magical conspiracy that runs the world from behind the scenes, but yeah that ain't Harry Potter

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!
They should've actually made that Harry Potter police procedural "the aurors" that was an April fools a while back and made a billion loving dollars

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

did hermoine cast a spell to turn herself black or does that just go unexplained.

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
Please disregard my advice w/r/t history.
And another thing. Wizards could alleviate a great deal of muggle suffering if they weren't causing it

Drink Cheerwine posted:

im gfoing to name my son bulbus

He takes after his mom

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

Clipperton posted:

her detective novels are pretty good

Have any of those characters been made retroactively gay and/or black yet?

Junkfist
Oct 7, 2004

FRIEND?

TheIncredulousHulk posted:

"Wizards" was a funny animated movie.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
Okay, forget guns. Why does nobody in harry potterland know how to throw a good punch? Use the expelliarmus spell and then go all schoolyard bully.

What I'm saying is I want to see magical MMA.

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

rotinaj posted:

Okay, forget guns. Why does nobody in harry potterland know how to throw a good punch? Use the expelliarmus spell and then go all schoolyard bully.

widespread telegraphing of your attacks in the form of shouting spells makes wizards really bad at martial arts

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Wedemeyer posted:

If Diane Duane can write a children's magic/fantasy novel that holds up through nearly 30 years of scrutiny and rereads, Rowling can too. :colbert: Get your poo poo together!!

so u wanna be a wizzard is way cooler than harry potter and i forgot about that book series entirely

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
im the transdimentional alien that consists of three sentient spheres that just roll everywhere

theres a character thats literally just a mug full of oil. like, from the ground.

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth

rotinaj posted:

Hermione punched Malfoy once. Little poo poo deserved it.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Mycroft Holmes posted:

That was a hate crime now.

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

Mycroft Holmes posted:

the white man just can't get a break

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

Dapper_Swindler posted:

holy gently caress. my sides. I want this to be real. just 2 cia dudes in lovely wizard robes, just working over a death eater in some blacksite. then they have the centaur on site sodomize him.

The US Wizard CIA looks like every evil group in a Jack Chick tract. They'll have the robes, but they'll still wear ties and sunglasses. They might also have some headgear that looks almost like a Klan hood, but not quite.

Iron Prince
Aug 28, 2005
Buglord

LGD posted:

would be cool af

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
American wizards have their wands mounted on gun grips. As you pull the trigger, it causes a tab to rap across a groove on the wand that creates a harmonic spell that discharges without words.

• Locked thread