Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum
Some info on Season 2: http://www.blastr.com/2016-8-16/watch-voltron-legendary-defenders-producers-season-2-whats-next

Obviously, the events of Season 1 are discussed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Metalshark
Feb 4, 2013

The seagull is essential.
Holy crap at this Season 2 trailer: http://comicbook.com/popculturenow/2016/10/03/exclusive-voltron-legendary-defender-season-2-trailer-poster-and/

:ohdear: :aaaaa:

Some amazing visuals in there too, this season looks like it's gonna be a treat.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

I hope Shiro doesn't have to go to the hospital.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

I'm hoping its just a fakeout. :ohdear:

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

I was expecting it to go the Gurenn Lagann route in that Season 1 finale.

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
drat, looks like season 2 is going to be pretty awesome.

tribbledirigible posted:

I was expecting it to go the Gurenn Lagann route in that Season 1 finale.

That could have been cool, but it looks like they have a good thing going...

EDIT:

Looks like this weekend's NYCC will include screening an episode from s2, and hopefully a release date:

http://www.comingsoon.net/tv/trailers/772981-voltron-season-2-trailer-and-nycc-details

OB_Juan fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Oct 4, 2016

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

season 2 is January 20th, 2017. So a bit off from Fall 2016.

Toys are also coming soon. There's standalone 10 dollar figures of the lions, Voltron itself, and one of the Robeasts, and combining versions of the lions at 18 dollars for the limbs and 30 dollars for the black lion, and a standalone, non-combining version of Voltron at 40 dollars.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Season two will make a nice birthday present for me in a few months time then I guess. How nice of Netflix and Dreamworks.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

TFRazorsaw posted:

season 2 is January 20th, 2017. So a bit off from Fall 2016.

Toys are also coming soon. There's standalone 10 dollar figures of the lions, Voltron itself, and one of the Robeasts, and combining versions of the lions at 18 dollars for the limbs and 30 dollars for the black lion, and a standalone, non-combining version of Voltron at 40 dollars.

Is there a $10 version of standalone Voltron, a $40 version, AND a $102 version made of the combined toys?

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

That is correct yes.

http://nerdist.com/playmates-voltron-legendary-defender-toy-line-helps-you-protect-the-universe-exclusive/ pictures here of everything but the legendary lions combined, it just shows them individually

and here's the combined mode.

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

OB_Juan posted:

Some info on Season 2: http://www.blastr.com/2016-8-16/watch-voltron-legendary-defenders-producers-season-2-whats-next

Obviously, the events of Season 1 are discussed.

Wait, does Pidge actually count as a true transgender character? She never internally identified as a dude - she merely impersonated one to get a second chance at finding out what the government knew about her brother's disappearance.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

No, she doesn't. People are just misinterpreting things and/or latching on to what they want to see.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Pidge is not trans, but you only get so many trans characters in media so people like to latch on to whatever vaguely fits.

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
Looks like the new season comes out Jan 20:

http://www.refinery29.com/2016/12/1...etflix#slide-55

Metalshark
Feb 4, 2013

Interview with Dos Santos and Montgomery, as well as a :siren: new trailer :siren: is here:
http://ew.com/tv/2017/01/05/voltron-legendary-defender-season-2-preview-trailer/

My wife and I just finished rewatching Season 1 and, like Korra and ATLA, it's even better second time around noticing all the extra flourishes of animation and foreshadowing.

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

quote:

We’re going to build it all up to an even crazier cliffhanger than the original.

:byodood:

Metalshark posted:

My wife and I just finished rewatching Season 1 and, like Korra and ATLA, it's even better second time around noticing all the extra flourishes of animation and foreshadowing.

I've only watched it once, but I do remember thinking how weird it was for the princess to crush that AI glass initially, and then finding out later she's a shape-shifter with super strength it all makes sense.

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Dammit I somehow was mistaken that season 2 was today instead of next week. gently caress

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Koirhor posted:

Dammit I somehow was mistaken that season 2 was today instead of next week. gently caress

Doesn't A Series of Unfortunate Events start today? That might kill time until next week.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Just re-watch season one. That's what I'm doing during the next week at least, though you may have done it already. Need to refresh myself on it before the second season (or part of a season, whatever) starts.

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
Reminder - Tomorrow!

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Season 2 has hit. Watch it. It's good.

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
Can confirm that the first episode was, in fact, good.

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

This poster survived LPing Lunar: Dragon Song. Let's give her a hand.

This might be the most out there reference I have ever seen in a kid's show.

Metalshark
Feb 4, 2013

Camel Pimp posted:

This might be the most out there reference I have ever seen in a kid's show.

I guess it is a film from the 80s at least, a la the original Voltron series, but yeah, pretty obscure! They certainly do Green the Cubes though, so props to whoever thought of that pun.

The first 4 episodes were wonderful. So much fun, but some real dramatic stakes too.

Metalshark fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Jan 20, 2017

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
"Space Mall" is an awesome little breather episode. It's fun to get a look at the larger culture of the universe.

Alopex
May 31, 2012

This is the sleeve I have chosen.
Vrepit Sal is my new favorite character.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Just binged the second season. Pretty sweet. Liked it about as much as the first, I think.

I find Hunk really annoying most of the time now, though. He's truly become the Bolin.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Don't often see a villain go down to Tunnel vision like that.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill
Is it me or does Voltron look physically more beat up (paint scratched off in places, dings and poo poo all over) by episode 9 of season 2? If so that's an awesome, subtle animation decision that really sells the team as the underdogs they so obviously are.

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
Episode 7 spoiler:

This is a great moment. How many references are in this one shot?

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

OB_Juan posted:

Episode 7 spoiler:

Vash sunglasses
Kamina sunglasses
Char (clone) mask
Dragon Ball shoulder pads

And that's all I can figure out.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
i think those are some Digimon-rear end goggles and a Klingon sash on Lance.

Ages
Feb 20, 2005

Its just half the puffin juice and the puffin lives and doesnt mind. I promise!
Fun Shoe

OB_Juan posted:

Episode 7 spoiler:

That is just a great episode end to end.

This season is full of great one-shot characters. I think the mermaid rebels might be my favorites.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

that ending

someone get the third season here right the gently caress now, when they said they were ending on a bigger cliffhanger than the first season, they weren't loving kidding

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I'm enjoying this season a lot more than the first -- but, like, sometimes the limited budget really shows. Episode four in particular the Pidge one where she meets all the nature people has a number of action shots that are basically stills.

And, curiously, quite a number of plot points that are handwaved or sped through. Including, crucially, any kind of explanation as to how Pidge won in the end. Not that you can't kind of join the dots yourself, but it's kind of glaring. That, and the old wise lady suddenly being able to psychically communicate so they could speed through the exposition and character stuff faster made me wonder if they were expecting to be able to spend a second episode on that plotline?

Shiro and Keith, still gay. Probably. Only on the fourth episode, like I said.

Edit: Mall episode rules.

Edit 2: Episode Eight Gaaaaaaaaaay. :D

Edit 3: Up to Episode 12. Random thoughts on previous episodes: Huh. I thought witch lady might end up being Keith's mother, but she's all dead now. (Okay, spoke too soon, "Mum's" not dead. Yet?)

Also dead: that helpful villain dude, though I'm honestly glad. Both his plotlines this season and last (though last season's plot was barely existent) majorly suffered from what I'm dubbing Netflix disease (i.e. stretching out a plotline in a way that'd never pass if the show was airing at a rate of one episode a week, but somehow get a pass on the creative end when all the episodes drop at once.) That said, I'm surprised by the ammount of torturing that went on in his plot line, given that this is ostensibly a kid's show. Surprised in an ambivalent way, I'm not SHOCKED! AND APPALLED!

Some really great fights in these episodes too, particularly the giant space battle with the Evangelion mech from Season One. Lovely stuff. Just wish they could afford that level of fluidity more often.

Off to finish the episode and post about it here. Assuming people don't mind my editing all my thoughts into this post -- I didn't want to clog up the thread with a billionty consecutive posts.

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Jan 21, 2017

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

This poster survived LPing Lunar: Dragon Song. Let's give her a hand.
How soon did they know that this series was going to be a Netflix series, because the second season does seem a lot freer with violent content and the word "die" and "kill" than the first season was.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Open Source Idiom posted:

Shiro and Keith, still gay. Probably. Only on the fourth episode, like I said.

Uh, its not a romantic relationship at all. Keith was an orphan, and Shiro acted like a big brother to him. Shiro is older than the rest of the paladins.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Look at this innocence. :ironicat:

CrimsonAuthor
Nov 14, 2006
Mall cop should have been named Blarkon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Camel Pimp posted:

How soon did they know that this series was going to be a Netflix series, because the second season does seem a lot freer with violent content and the word "die" and "kill" than the first season was.

I would assume from the start, since most Netflix originals are produced by Netflix themselves.

• Locked thread